Hunchback Of Awesomesauce

22 replies to this topic

#1 Grayson Sortek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 371 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 01:10 PM

The Hunchback is another one of my favorite classic 'Mechs. Unfortunately the model became somewhat obsolete as more powerful IS mediums like the Enforcer started showing up in MWO. However, I think the new tech really helped bring this underdog back to life!

Here we feature the Grid Iron with a L250, 1xLRM10, 1xRAC5, and 1xERML. Don't let the single pairings of weapons throw you off though, this thing packs one hell of a punch. I ended up getting 555 damage on my first match:

https://youtu.be/HBWl-_M-gH4

#2 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 10 April 2018 - 01:53 AM

There's no synergy in that weapons loadout, and one match is not a meaningful indicator of how the mech actually performs over longer time - try 20-30 matches and compare the "before" and "after" of your mech stats.

If you want a worthwhile Hunchback... there's this 4J build: https://mwo.smurfy-n...29baccac333f4d6 . You can fit one extra heat sink if you downgrade the engine to 250 and drop Light Ferro.

I'm also using a similar build on the 4SP, it's not quite as good (slower, worse heat management, less ammo) but losing one side doesn't take away most of its' firepower: https://mwo.smurfy-n...e26d97e206c3a50

#3 Ruccus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 10 April 2018 - 01:13 PM

For my Grid Iron I've found a Dual AC5 build works well. The range of the AC5 allows you to contribute during the sniping/standoff phase of the match, and they're also competent cool and quick cycling weapons when the fighting gets closer.

The three medium lasers add a nice extra pinpoint punch when you have the heat to spare.

#4 Throe

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 03:19 PM

[redacted]

Edited by Throe, 11 December 2018 - 04:42 PM.

#5 DFM

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 261 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 03:44 PM

View PostThroe, on 10 April 2018 - 03:19 PM, said:

I'd be tempted to try this:
HBK-GI; 1xRAC5, 1xMRM20, 3xERML

I can appreciate cooler running builds, but I tend to prefer hotter ones, where you can pop out, mete out some significant damage, and then hide for a few moments to cool everything off and reset your jam cooldown. This will absolutely beat the crap out of your Dual AC/5 build in a ~6 second engagement, at most ranges.

That said, I find your Dual AC/5 build to be exceedingly cool, while even this build actually runs relatively cool compared to a lot of the builds I'm used to running lately. Of course, it's no good for Brawling.

I attribute this in large part to the effectiveness of Cool Shots though. Back when I ran without Cool Shots as a rule, I'd never run builds this hot. Cool Shot makes a world of difference. They're getting nerfed with the Solaris patch, I believe.

Imo, build contradicts the style. Why run a staredown RAC with the rest of that loadout? Personally, if your gonna play peek-a-boom, something more upfront would work better for that. I'm not bashing Rac's, I think they're one of the funnest weapons around.

#6 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 10 April 2018 - 04:38 PM

Still got my ac20+ 3medlaser on my 4g, just with a light275 to get the speed up. Work well like before and now with just a little bit more fun.

Edited by Damnedtroll, 10 April 2018 - 05:52 PM.

#7 Throe

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 10:16 AM

[redacted]

#8 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 11 April 2018 - 10:23 AM

View PostThroe, on 11 April 2018 - 10:16 AM, said:

...In a 6 second engagement...

That's already a bad thing though. Ideally you spend 1-2 seconds popping out of cover to double-tap the UAC 10, then get back into cover. At the very least you can torso twist so return fire hits your arms or spreads across your CT/ST's. Having to sit there and look at the enemy for 6 seconds is a huge liability.

#9 _SpiderGoat

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 10:57 AM

Good poke HBK when in a group ;)

https://mwo.smurfy-n...ec7b457373ccff7

#10 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 11 April 2018 - 10:59 AM

I don't recall ever trying out the below build in game only because my Bushwackers do it better, but I think it's a build relevant to the discussion:

Dual RAC5 GRID IRON

I find dual RAC5s work very well in the Bushwackers that have the side torso ballistics (High Roller, P2, X1, and X2) because they're close together and you can use an LFE engine to save weight. With the Grid Iron you lose the LFE capability but the RAC5s are mounted even closer and stacked one above the other, which should allow for almost certain double hits even while leading targets.

At 65kph it will relegate you to being a wingman for an assault or slow heavy, but with dual RAC5s adding to their firepower they'll likely appreciate the company.

#11 Throe

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 11:22 AM

[redacted]

#12 Throe

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 11:25 AM

[redacted]

#13 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 11 April 2018 - 11:36 AM

View PostThroe, on 11 April 2018 - 11:25 AM, said:

You can take Light Ferro armor to stack a bit of extra armor on the arms, with no real downside other than a few CBills.

I agree that the Bushwhackers do this far better. The one thing I notice on this build is that the survivability of the STD engine is almost completely wasted. Sure, you can zombie with it after someone removes your RT, but with only 1 ML left at that point, it's kind of.... meh.

Yea, I just threw this together but it looks like it would be a fun zombie bushwacker build... https://mwo.smurfy-n...022709569ab3fde

#14 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 11 April 2018 - 01:15 PM

View PostThroe, on 11 April 2018 - 11:25 AM, said:

You can take Light Ferro armor to stack a bit of extra armor on the arms, with no real downside other than a few CBills.

I agree that the Bushwhackers do this far better. The one thing I notice on this build is that the survivability of the STD engine is almost completely wasted. Sure, you can zombie with it after someone removes your RT, but with only 1 ML left at that point, it's kind of.... meh.

I figured since I suggested the build I'd try it out in a game just to see if it worked as expected and ended up with a 1 (solo) kill, 8 assist match with 523 damage.

It was good at leading mechs, and I dropped on HPG Manifold so I decided the best tactic was to play 'King of the Hill' which worked nicely because you could start spinning up the RACs when the enemy starts coming up the ramps and be spitting out rounds when they crest. In the later half of the game I fell off the top though and nearly got nascar-ed by the remaining enemy mechs so the engine is a bit of an issue.

Getting the RACs stripped can be an issue, but I had 75 armour in the RT to go through before they even got to structure so it was the CT and LT that were showing structure at the end of the match. It's a fun build if you're good at proper positioning, though the engine is its weak point.

View PostEisenhorne, on 11 April 2018 - 11:36 AM, said:

Yea, I just threw this together but it looks like it would be a fun zombie bushwacker build... https://mwo.smurfy-n...022709569ab3fde

Yes, the Heavy Gauss Bushwacker is a little monster that can cause a world of hurt. It plays similar to another good Bushwacker build, the AC20+SNPPC build (the AC20+SNPPC usually runs around a 280LFE, but can go with a 250 standard to zombie the SNPPC).

But this is a Hunchback thread so let's cram that heavy gauss into a hunch: Heavy Gauss GRID IRON. I don't think I've tried the Heavy Gauss in my Grid Iron but with its quirks it should be solid and at 73kph it's fast enough to avoid trouble if you keep an eye on your positioning.

#15 Throe

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 02:06 PM

[redacted]

#16 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 11 April 2018 - 02:57 PM

View PostThroe, on 11 April 2018 - 02:06 PM, said:

It's funny because McCosmoat just did this up above, a couple hours ago. I think yours is better, although I really prefer not to run such a slow HBK.

Yup, I saw it but I think the Grid Iron does it better than the 4G and after the match with dual RAC5s and 200 Standard engine I figured I'd add a bit more speed. Plus while I do like the Bushwacker, it was an easy way to segue back to the Hunchback.

For the 4G I just think the AC20 HBK-4G is as close to perfect as you can get for it and aside from adding the LFE engine and light ferro I haven't changed the build for mine in a long time. AC20 plus medium lasers work in a lot of mechs, and the 4G's quirks make the AC20 a monster.

#17 _SpiderGoat

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 02:58 PM

View PostThroe, on 11 April 2018 - 02:06 PM, said:

It's funny because McCosmoat just did this up above, a couple hours ago. I think yours is better, although I really prefer not to run such a slow HBK.

Better because of speed? It's meant to run with like speed heavies or assaults, it's a pocket roughneck 2A. He has more speed but 1 medium laser? No thanks. The only benefit to the GI is the cbill bonus (teasing, cool down quirks multiply! Posted Image) Posted Image

I made mine for the folks who don't want to drop hard cash on an otherwise obsolete mech.

Posted Image

Edit: I know we all enjoy our own flavor :)

Edited by mcCosmoat, 11 April 2018 - 03:02 PM.

#18 Shadey99

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 03:09 PM

I ran a Heavy Gauss Grid Iron when the 'new' tech came out... And always had issues with either being to far for optimal damage or overrun as I was to slow to reposition well. In the right place it's terrifying, but it's a support build that is very niche.

Which is the problem with slow mechs in general and why 'leaving the assaults behind' is such a thing. Current MWO expects most mechs to do just under 90 kph (typically 87ish). If you can't do that you'll have issues; more so in quick play as coordination is usually low.

View PostRuccus, on 11 April 2018 - 01:15 PM, said:

Getting the RACs stripped can be an issue, but I had 75 armour in the RT to go through before they even got to structure

With fast high alpha builds out there, I've been cored in the blink of an eye by some very high skill players with more than 75 armor on that facing. The face time with RACs is why they aren't very popular in T1.

Edited by Shadey99, 11 April 2018 - 06:23 PM.

#19 _SpiderGoat

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 03:14 PM

View PostShadey99, on 11 April 2018 - 03:09 PM, said:

Which is the problem with slow mechs in general and why 'leaving the assaults behind' is such a thing. Current MMO expects most mechs to do just under 90 kph (typically 87ish). If you can't do that you'll have issues; more so in quick play as coordination is usually low.

I should note, I have never used this outside of siege, when that QP speed isn't such a factor.

#20 Throe

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 03:19 PM

[redacted]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users