Really like how the Fafnir looks.

#102 Captain Grayson Lighthorse

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:44 AM

View PostAramuside, on 16 April 2018 - 12:53 AM, said:

Slightly curious as I've not played in a while - what nerfs have they done to AMS?

Well, I don't know how long you've been away from the game so I'll just start at the pre-Skill Tree point and go from there.

With our old mod system when we took the time to master a 'Mech you actually had something when you were done. It actually felt like you were piloting a "mastered" BattleMech. It had good mobility, agility, heat dissipation, weapon cool downs, Radar Deprivation, etc. At that point AMS worked rather well and it actually protected your 'Mech for a while until you run out of ammo.

Post Skill Tree drop everything was reduced to around 50% of what it was pre- Skill Tree. A mastered 'Mech no longer felt like a mastered 'Mech. It took 91 mods in the old system to master a 'Mech. They gave us the same 91 nodes in the Skill Tree but they force us to waste 20 to 30 of them on nodes we don't want, or can't utilize in our 'Mech build. With all of this, the 'Mech overall is less than half as good as it was in the old system. The AMS only worked well after you selected the AMS nodes in the Skill Tree. Otherwise it was just so-so.

But, PGI pulled out the nerf hammer and reduced the AMS capabilities/damage even further. Now you have to have all of the AMS nodes selected in order to get it to perform like it did without any nodes selected before the nerf.

They also decreased cool shot duration and efficiency, the amount of cooling it provides, and introduced a long "cool down" time before you can use your second cool shot. The airstrikes and artillery strikes got hit the same way. And there were many other things that got nerfed. The OP Choir cheers this, but the rest of us hate it. But they think everything is OP. Actually nothing I've seen yet in this game is OP, just a bunch of under-armored 'Mechs. Evidence of this is that they have to add armor quirks to so many 'Mechs to make them playable. And this is the reason you see so many posts here asking for big armor quirks to the Fafnir. It needs them due to big hit boxes and just plain being under armored to begin with in a game with 1000 meter pin-point accuracy.

Paul "the nerf god" Inouye stated it loud and clear in his "flip-off" response pod cast to the Dane "Un-funning" video that he has no intention of ever buffing anything. His idea of "balance" is not to bring bad 'Mechs/weapons/consumables performance up, but to bring good 'Mechs/weapons/consumables performance down into what he calls a "narrow little band" so there are absolutely no good performing 'Mechs and only average to poor 'Mechs. I guess his idea is that since he can't make bad players good, he will insure that good players have nothing to work with. Over the last 8 to 12 months we have had patch after patch of nerf-nerf-nerf hitting 'Mechs, consumables, and weapons systems that there was absolutely no evidence from playing the game that they were needed. Just his idea of the mediocre game world that he thinks we all should be playing in.

This was long winded, but I hope it answered your question and kind of brought you up to speed on where things are at with the game now. I didn't cover nearly all that's happened but just some of the things related to your question.

Edited by Captain Grayson Lighthorse, 17 April 2018 - 10:02 AM.

#103 Jay Leon Hart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:01 AM

Still no size comparison pictures?

Come on PGI...

#104 Ryoken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 744 posts
  • LocationEuropa, Terra

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:36 AM

View PostCaptain Grayson Lighthorse, on 17 April 2018 - 08:44 AM, said:

Paul "the nerf god" Inouye stated it loud and clear in his response pod cast to the Dane "Un-funning" video that he has no intention of ever buffing anything. His idea of "balance" is not to bring bad 'Mechs performance up, but to bring good 'Mechs performance down into what he calls a "narrow little band" so there are absolutely no good performing 'Mechs and only average to poor 'Mechs. I guess his idea is that since he can't make bad players good, he will insure that good players have nothing to work with. Over the last 8 to 12 months we have had patch after patch of nerf-nerf-nerf hitting 'Mechs, consumables, and weapons systems that there was absolutely no evidence that they were needed. Just his idea of the mediocre game world that we all should be playing in.

Wow... now that's what I would call a one sided narrow point of view.

While nerfs surely are less favoured by players than buffs - I can perfectly understand only the nerf god can bring us balance while also increasing the time to kill. In contrast the buff god would lead to an armsrace that inevitably would reduce the allready short time to kill - diminishing the very thought of fighting in heavy armored walking tanks and turning MWO into a generic shooter.

Now that sir - how I understand your idea of a game - is what I call a mediocre game world. Therefore I welcome the strategy of the nerf god to bring balance and the feel of sturdy warmachines fighting it out.

Edited by Ryoken, 17 April 2018 - 12:59 PM.

#105 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:01 PM

View PostCaptain Grayson Lighthorse, on 17 April 2018 - 08:44 AM, said:

Well, I don't know how long you've been away from the game so I'll just start at the pre-Skill Tree point and go from there. With our old mod system when we took the time to master a 'Mech you actually had something when you were done. It actually felt like you were piloting a "mastered" BattleMech. It had good mobility, agility, heat dissipation, weapon cool downs, Radar Deprivation, etc. At that point AMS worked rather well and it actually protected your 'Mech for a while until you run out of ammo. Post Skill Tree drop everything was reduced to around 50% of what it was pre- Skill Tree. A mastered 'Mech no longer felt like a mastered 'Mech. It took 91 mods in the old system to master a 'Mech. They gave us the same 91 nodes in the Skill Tree but they force us to waste 20 to 30 of them on nodes we don't want, or can't utilize in our 'Mech build. With all of this, the 'Mech overall is less than half as good as it was in the old system. The AMS only worked well after you selected the AMS nodes in the Skill Tree. Otherwise it was just so-so. But, PGI pulled out the nerf hammer and reduced the AMS capabilities/damage even further. Now you have to have all of the AMS nodes selected in order to get it to perform like it did without any nodes selected before the nerf. They also decreased cool shot duration and efficiency, the amount of cooling it provides, and introduced a long "cool down" time before you can use your second cool shot. The airstrikes and artillery strikes got hit the same way. And there were many other things that got nerfed. The OP Choir cheers this, but the rest of us hate it. But they think everything is OP. Actually nothing I've seen yet in this game is OP, just a bunch of under-armored 'Mechs. Evidence of this is that they have to add armor quirks to so many 'Mechs to make them playable. And this is the reason you see so many posts here asking for big armor quirks to the Fafnir. It needs them due to big hit boxes and just plain being under armored to begin with in a game with 1000 meter pin-point accuracy. Paul "the nerf god" Inouye stated it loud and clear in his "flip-off" response pod cast to the Dane "Un-funning" video that he has no intention of ever buffing anything. His idea of "balance" is not to bring bad 'Mechs/weapons/consumables performance up, but to bring good 'Mechs/weapons/consumables performance down into what he calls a "narrow little band" so there are absolutely no good performing 'Mechs and only average to poor 'Mechs. I guess his idea is that since he can't make bad players good, he will insure that good players have nothing to work with. Over the last 8 to 12 months we have had patch after patch of nerf-nerf-nerf hitting 'Mechs, consumables, and weapons systems that there was absolutely no evidence from playing the game that they were needed. Just his idea of the mediocre game world that he thinks we all should be playing in. This was long winded, but I hope it answered your question and kind of brought you up to speed on where things are at with the game now. I didn't cover nearly all that's happened but just some of the things related to your question.

Thanks for the update. I played till laser AMS had just come in. Can't pretend I noticed the difference really skill tree wise but I suspect a lot of that was I use dedicated AMS boats anyway rather than using them on mechs with just 1 AMS slot. I even used modules to boost them so there always was a sacrifice aka less combat or utility modules. The AMS skill slots didn't seem too much of a sacrifice as that tree is so short. Of course the heat from the laser ams rather killed things skill tree wise but thats another issue and they did slightly un-nerf it after our initial PTS feedback when our triple LAMS nova's were shutting down without even firing weapons. ;)

#106 Anton Fetladral

• PipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 05:15 AM

Fafnir QP event plx!

#107 Cori Gamble

• Pip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:26 PM

Okay, so, I know this won't make a difference, but I just wanna vent this out so I'll feel a little better. I love the Fafnir, I really do, but its glaring weak point of a center torso has gotten on my nerves. It juts out too dang far and there's no amount of rotating that will protect it. Push its face in, PGI! I've been cored so many times that it has gotten ridiculous.

Rant over.

#108 Leviathan MDK

• PipPip
  • The Universe
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 12:52 PM

View PostCori Gamble, on 19 April 2018 - 11:26 PM, said:

Okay, so, I know this won't make a difference, but I just wanna vent this out so I'll feel a little better. I love the Fafnir, I really do, but its glaring weak point of a center torso has gotten on my nerves. It juts out too dang far and there's no amount of rotating that will protect it. Push its face in, PGI! I've been cored so many times that it has gotten ridiculous.

Rant over.

Agreeing with you. i figured that out when i saw the first countdown video. Not sure if they will change the model though.
Buffs are easier. more armor would be welcom.
CT+25 ST+20
Still don't expect this mech to work like a anh/kgc/as7 It is a mech in it's own class. not sure if it fits in a specifik class but...
Let's just say the Fafnir is the Fafnir and plays different then al the other 100t mechs in mwo.
Still learning but is have had my chair of succes and failures so far. nothing game breaking, just different.
Non of mine are mastered yet so that might help as wel.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users