How Useful Are Lpls After New Tech?

12 replies to this topic

#1 Chryckan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 301 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 12:28 PM

Been told that LPLs have been nerfed and the LPL vomit isn't the king of the meta anymore.

So I've been wondering, compared to it's rival the Large Laser how useful are the LPLs these days?

From pure statistics the difference is 1 more point of damage, shorter range and shorter duration for the LPL compared to the LL. Which isn't much.

Before switching out two or even three LLs for two LPLs was always the better option. Looking at the stats I'm not so sure any more.

So for example if you had a build with let say 2xLLs and 2xMLs would it be worth switching over to only 2xLPLs instead?

#2 Prof RJ Gumby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 03:13 PM

IMHO, LPLs still work on things than can take at least 5 of them, like the Banshee. Only then you can have the chance to put that lower heat and greater cooldown to any use, as a burst DPS weapon (shortly after the burn of the second group, the first one is ready to fire again, so you can put 150 total damage into a target in a relatively short time). You can win most staredowns below 400 meters and confuse twist-and-shoot mechs by shooting at them continuously.

But that's it. In other cases - i.e. bringing 3 of them because ghost heat - they're just not worth their tonnage, as they're way too weak for alpha builds (no chance in trading against clans, mix of LLs and ERMLs/MLs is more effective for the same tonnage) and the cooldown on one set of 3 is just too big to go for burst dps.

#3 Chryckan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 301 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:04 AM

View PostProf RJ Gumby, on 12 April 2018 - 03:13 PM, said:

IMHO, LPLs still work on things than can take at least 5 of them, like the Banshee. Only then you can have the chance to put that lower heat and greater cooldown to any use, as a burst DPS weapon (shortly after the burn of the second group, the first one is ready to fire again, so you can put 150 total damage into a target in a relatively short time). You can win most staredowns below 400 meters and confuse twist-and-shoot mechs by shooting at them continuously.

But that's it. In other cases - i.e. bringing 3 of them because ghost heat - they're just not worth their tonnage, as they're way too weak for alpha builds (no chance in trading against clans, mix of LLs and ERMLs/MLs is more effective for the same tonnage) and the cooldown on one set of 3 is just too big to go for burst dps.

Guess the king really is dead then.

Bit curious about the 5 LPL Banshe buld though since I have an old 3-m that I'm not sure what to make off.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:10 AM

I personally run quad LPL and twin LPL builds to great effect. Faster mechs required to make the latter work.

The Trollbuchet uses twin LMG, twin Streak SRM-2s, a TAG and a LPL... and its still quite effective.
It's also very fast and very aggressive.

The nerf is something like 1 or 2 damage from what it used to do. Hardly a difference.
I think part of their issue is it is no longer "synced" as well with medium lasers due to medium lasers getting a longer cooldown time now.

#5 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 13 April 2018 - 03:04 PM

IS LPL - dead. For their tonnage they are simply not worth it anymore and means you must use IS XL in most cases.
IS LL are lighter, more range and let you use LFE in most cases.

cLPL is still fine to use.

#6 Chryckan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 301 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 03:29 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 13 April 2018 - 03:04 PM, said:

IS LPL - dead. For their tonnage they are simply not worth it anymore and means you must use IS XL in most cases.
IS LL are lighter, more range and let you use LFE in most cases.

cLPL is still fine to use.

Figures.

I'm still curious how 5xLPL Banshee would work. Tried a 6xLPL BNC which was too hot. But it was great fun using the LPLs chain linked since foes kind of panicked when they meet the never ending LPL. Posted Image

#7 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 13 April 2018 - 04:43 PM

5LPL is XL.

5LPL is not outputting enough hurt to make it worthwhile, IMO. Plus Banshee cannot twist and it's slow.

I ran a LPL BLR2C for a few weeks after the change and it was just too weak.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 13 April 2018 - 04:43 PM.

#8 PurplePuke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 316 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 04:45 PM

It really depends on the mech and how you want to play. I play a lot of Cicada 3m with 2xLPL and it works.

#9 Chryckan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 301 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:06 AM

View PostPurplePuke, on 15 April 2018 - 04:45 PM, said:

It really depends on the mech and how you want to play. I play a lot of Cicada 3m with 2xLPL and it works.

I guess that any weapon does a lot of damage quickly still works for boom and zoom in light and fast mechs.
Still, for the weight of 2xLPL you can get 2xLL and 2xERML/2xMLs which does nearly another extra ten points of damage. The heat is worse though.

#10 Chryckan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 301 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:30 AM

If the IS LPL have been nerfed then how good are the MPLs and the SPLs now?

#11 CFC Conky

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,828 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:41 AM

View PostChryckan, on 19 April 2018 - 09:30 AM, said:

If the IS LPL have been nerfed then how good are the MPLs and the SPLs now?

Hard to say, if someone says they're ok, someone else will post that they are crap. Theory and practice are two different animals, so I guess the only way for you to find out is to try them and see for yourself. Depending on your build, play style, game mode and/or tier, they may or may not work for you.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#12 Chryckan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 301 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 01:33 PM

View PostCFC Conky, on 19 April 2018 - 09:41 AM, said:

Hard to say, if someone says they're ok, someone else will post that they are crap. Theory and practice are two different animals, so I guess the only way for you to find out is to try them and see for yourself. Depending on your build, play style, game mode and/or tier, they may or may not work for you.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

Yeah, but was they nerfed with the LPL or are they the same?
I know that SPL spam was quite good before but I've heard comments that the SPL horrible now.

#13 CFC Conky

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,828 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 19 April 2018 - 02:27 PM

View PostChryckan, on 19 April 2018 - 01:33 PM, said:

Yeah, but was they nerfed with the LPL or are they the same?
I know that SPL spam was quite good before but I've heard comments that the SPL horrible now.

Ok, the general consensus is that spls are worse now. Not sure about mpls. Clan pulse lasers have better range compared to those of the IS. That said, I like to run IS mpls when I can fit them, especially on assault-class mechs since they are effective against light mechs.

Good hunting
CFC Conky

Edited by CFC Conky, 19 April 2018 - 02:28 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users