12 replies to this topic

#1 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 08:04 AM

The Solaris hero mechs are ....scattered all throughout the threads, so I figured I'd setup a single place to look for hero mech builds.

Now, uh... Just gotta get you guys to bring the builds.

#2 Zergling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 07:21 PM

Since it is the Solaris pack, I'll theory craft some Solaris builds for them.

Street Cleaner; 4x Medium Laser with a 210LFE; can easily drop heatsinks for more jumpjets
Or 4x Small Pulse + 2x HMG with a 210 LFE

Dao Breaker; 3x AC5 with a 270LFE or a 240LFE

Ares; 4x Small Pulse + 2x ASRM6 with a 250LFE; can swap the Small Pulses for regular Mediums for more range and better shoot/twist potential.

Revenant; leaderboards indicates a few high skill players are having success with 2xLBX20 builds with the Mad Dog, so that might be an idea.
I can only fit 2 tons of ammo in with max armor, so I dunno if they are shaving armor for more ammo, or are just being really efficient with their shots.

If I wanted to make a build for Solaris that still made use of the Revenant's CT energy hardpoints, I might try something like 2x UAC10 + 2x Small Pulse
If I were building the Revenant for QP instead, I'd run 2x UAC10 + 2x ER Medium.

Another idea for Revenant: 1x UAC20 + 5x Small Pulse

And the incredibly deadly 4x HMG + 2x ER Large Laser build! Luls, I bet some people have already tried that; I know I've seen people do similar on the Hunchback IIC before.

Edited by Zergling, 22 April 2018 - 07:39 PM.

#3 Spare Parts Bin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 23 April 2018 - 06:27 PM

Some nice builds Zergling. Looks like the Revenant and Bandit favour Ballistic/Energy Builds over Missles.

#4 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 06:53 PM

View PostSpare Parts Bin, on 23 April 2018 - 06:27 PM, said:

Some nice builds Zergling. Looks like the Revenant and Bandit favour Ballistic/Energy Builds over Missles.

It can do missile builds like any other Mad Dog, but those builds are so obvious there's little point posting them, nor does the Revenant's energy hardpoints actually change missile builds much at all.

Like, at most the the Revenant just moves a TAG from an arm into the CT.

Edited by Zergling, 23 April 2018 - 06:54 PM.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 07:23 PM

Sirens been bugging me real bad. Any builds that focus on the torso weapons leave the torso far too open. But either can't put enough firepower into the arms to use them separately or the lack of cohesion between missiles and lasers/pecs comes up.

#6 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 10:10 PM

Maybe 2x LBX10 + 1x MRM40 for Solaris?

Alternative: LFE with UAC20 + MRM40 if you prefer something a bit faster.

Somewhat amazingly, I found a use for the Light Gauss. That build has such a high cooling efficiency it could probably be altered to have a few lasers for extra firepower.

Edited by Zergling, 23 April 2018 - 10:18 PM.

#7 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:18 AM

I have not been able to compete as much in Solaris as I would have liked. So far though I really like it and in most divisions I am about 50/50 KDR.

Here are the keys I have found to success:
1. Direct Damage
2. Aiming Ability - Probably decides most of my matches, if they aim better I loose without question.
3. Heat Efficiency - If you shutdown I almost always win.
4. No IS XL engines - At first I thought some medium and lights would do OK with them, and they can, but if you fight a pilot with good Aim.

I think that would be the order of importance but you really need to do all 4 to do well.
So far I hate using missile weapons and smaller ACs. Missiles spread too much and smaller ACs just don't do enough damage if you are facing a good opponent. I will use MRMs and on occasion SRMs on my builds.

Weapons I have found very effective in Solaris 7 matches so far are:
Gauss and Heavy Gauss
SPLs and MPLs
MRMs
LBX10 and 20, Dual 20's with some ML backups is quite good.
IS AC20

Another tip I can give is to reduce your normal amount of ammo, you wont need it. I have started cutting mine by about 1/3rd of what I would use in quick play.

Here is how I have build the 7 Solaris Hero mechs out for Solaris 7. Ironically some of these mechs I have not used in Solaris because I prefer other chassis or variants in the tier they would take.

Kraken Build: I have used this mech a bunch in solaris 7 it is batting 500.
I am debating on going with a LXL and regular Gauss. I am also thinking SPLs instead of ERMLs and possible down grading to an MRM30.
Cooling really isn't and issue and I can dish out tons of damage, direct and spread, but I think I would like a faster rate of fire.
Tonight I am going to switch to this Kraken Build and see if I like it better

Siren Build: I have not been able to get this one to work for me at all. QP it does ok, and I am so bad in it I have only take into Solaris a couple of times. It definitely needs work. In fairness I was trying to use JJs on this thing at first, but then said to myself they are useless I would be better off with more DHS. So the build linked above I have only used a couple times in QP, it is my most recent. But I may switch to SPLs and maybe a Gauss or Heavy Gauss instead. It will make it much cooler. I could If I go Gauss I can get more speed with a LXL which would be a bonus. My next attempt will be this build.

Revenant Build: I haven't used this one yet. I will give it a go tonight as well. So far mechs with SRMs have not done very well in my hands so I am not sure how it will go.
I may cut the ammo by a ton and add another DHS. It will run a bit hot. I may also down grade to SPLs to add more heat sinks.
Something like this build would probably do better.

Dao Breaker, or Dad Bod Build: I like to call mine Dad Bod for some reason. LOL
I have only used this one once so far, so it is too early to tell, but the sustained fire it quite a pain for your opponent.

Ares Build: This build seems solid and it to does very well in QP, but I get owned in Solaris 7 with it almost every time.

Firestorm Build: I have only really used this build in QP, but it works very well in that mode. If I were to take this into Solaris I would switch out the ERMLs for MLs or SPLs. I think the SPLs would be the better choice. I think tonight I will try this build in Solaris 7. Or I may ditch the jumpjets and try this instead.

Street Cleaner Build: I have to say I have only used this in QP and I quite like it. I have never used and Urbie before. I think it would be out matched in Solaris though. I have also switched to LMGs and gone with an XL200. there was not much difference. I should try it with an AC10 or UAC10 next, but I haven't put together a build in Smurfy that I like yet.

I have used several other mechs in Solaris so far. One of my favorites is the 8SPL PXH-1K. I also like the Atlas's, I build them all similar to the Kraken above. I also like the Mad Cat MK II. I usually do that one with dual LBX20's or Ultra AC20's.

I am sure I have more builds, but this is a pretty long post so far. I'd really like to get your opinions of these builds. And even more so I'd really like to know you opinions of what you think works best in Solaris. I have found that I need to build my mechs very different than I do for QP and FP to really be successful.

#8 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:25 AM

View PostZergling, on 23 April 2018 - 10:10 PM, said:

Somewhat amazingly, I found a use for the Light Gauss. That build has such a high cooling efficiency it could probably be altered to have a few lasers for extra firepower.

I have not used the LG, as I also have not found a really good use for it. Based on tonnage and damage I would rather have a regular Gauss. That said this build looks awesome and makes me want to try it out!

#9 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 24 April 2018 - 04:13 PM

For those who want more info on the Revenant see Baradul's video( You Tube Molten Metal).

#10 Squiggy McPew

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 755 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:15 AM

I've only used the street cleaner and revenant so far. Street cleaner is a single er ppc, jj and tons of sinks to take advantage of all the generic quirks. Love that 10% range, cooldown and velocity along with the standard 13% heat dissipation and lurvely armour set. Basically it can fire forever unless its a particularly hot map so you stay at range and fire fire fire fire. Why? 1012m optimal and 2375ms velocity. It can fit two er ppc but then you only get 3 alphas before you fry and it doesn't cool fast enough to go to single fire afterwards. Effective dps with the single er ppc is much better and you can shave a bit of armour off the empty arm and lose a couple of sinks if you want some backup energy or maybe a couple of lmg. I find the single er ppc to be sufficient due to no minimum range.

Posted Image

The revenant was a simple build. Drop in the armour boosting pods then fit in the biggest weapons I could. Those ct energy mounts are sweet. Haven't played it much yet so only a few points in skills so the armour and cooling will be much better once its maxed out. You can downgrade to uac2 and fit 2 er large but I like this better.

Posted Image

#11 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 08 May 2018 - 11:52 AM

This is my build that seems to work quite well as long as I'm not facetanking or getting focussed.

https://mwo.smurfy-n...c265fa2e048d1fc

Go for all the velocity, cooldown, and range nodes for maximum weapon effectiveness. (that's all the further I've gotten with the skilling of it so far)

#12 tutzdes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 445 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:27 PM

Firestorm, a classic 4xERML+4xLMG build;
Street Cleaner, 3xMPL+2xMG (it was much better with 4xMPLs before the fix);
Ares, MRM20+MRM30 or 2xASRM6+4xERML;
Dao Breaker, 2xUAC/10 or 3xAC/5;
Revenant, 4xASRM6+4xERML;
Siren, 2xLB10+1xLPL+3xERML+AMS or MRM40+AC/20+2xML+AMS