What Do I Have To Do To Get Better Than 1.0 W/l Ratio?

16 replies to this topic

#1 ViperLam

• Pip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 05:22 AM

Has anyone else noticed that there doesn't seem to be a way to have better than 1.0 win ratio? In division 7, as of 2018-04-23 09:20, the best ratio is 78.00 (!?!) while mine never changes. I'll win one, lose 2. Win 2, lose 1...and so on. So what do i have to do to get a better ratio? If anyone suggests "cheating", than i'll stop playing Solaris 7...immediately.

My ELO/SSR never changes more than 1500 +/- 10...no matter how many games i play. Try again.

Waiting on your reply, and thank-you.

Edited by ViperLam, 23 April 2018 - 06:25 AM.

#2 Naqser

• PipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 60 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 05:30 AM

I'd argue that you shouldn't concentrate too much on the W/L.
With enough active players and enough matches for all of them, the ELO will settle around your skill range.
As long as the MM system is decent, your W/L should theoretically be around 1.
Having a good W/L ratio implies you've stomped newbies and noobs.

Raising your ELO / SSR is what you should be striving for.

#3 Jonathan8883

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 708 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 05:39 AM

The Elo system means that as you get better, you get matched against more-skilled opponents. Ideally, your victories are always hard-fought battles, won on razor thin margins where it's red-CT vs red-CT.

Although this means your W/L ratio is always going to be pretty blah unless you're at the very top, a higher elo also indicates that you're a better player.

I already feel like I've made substantial improvements in shot placement, feinting to make an enemy waste shots so that I can shoot him and while he's on cooldown, and quickly figuring out what component I need to target on a specific enemy. Those skills translate to all modes of the game.

#4 calmdawn

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 05:41 AM

If you start your way in division from the very bottom, but you improve your skills, then you should have positive ratio.
If your skills decrease you should have negative ratio.
If your skills are improving very fast - you have a great positive ratio ( doesn't work if you cant beat anyone or noone can beat you).

If your ratio is stabilized at 1.00 - you have found your place.

If there was a pure random opponent with random skill - in that case your W/L ratio shows how many ppl are worse or better than you are.

In case If there there is a matchmaker, W/L ratio only shows your skill change dynamic.

Meanwhile your Elo right now in Solaris is very Doublette because it should adjust your Elo according to mech you use in your division. But it doesn't, to be considered a good player now, you should take a top mech. In other case statics will call you skilless.

Edited by calmdawn, 23 April 2018 - 05:52 AM.

#5 Adamski

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 April 2018 - 04:59 PM

If your natural skill is around 1500, then you will find your W/L will fluctuate wildly, as new entrants to the division are started at 1500, and if they are better skilled and need to start climbing, your back will be the first thing they step on.

#6 Throe

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 10:20 PM

[redacted]

Edited by Throe, 12 December 2018 - 06:00 PM.

#7 Jeremiah Blackstone

Rookie

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 11:00 PM

I'm just going to put out the suggestion that, if you want to improve your W/L ratio in Division 7, beyond 1.0 ...

... then you might want to try winning more matches than you're losing.

#8 VXJaeger

• The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 1,582 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 23 April 2018 - 11:38 PM

Take cheeseVND-1X like tryhards do (incl. that 78:0-guy), and your W/L will prob rise like rocket.

Edited by VXJaeger, 23 April 2018 - 11:38 PM.

#9 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:07 AM

It's 90% down to 'Mech choice, in the upper brackets you will encounter pilots who are able to apply some serious skill to their cheese builds but at 1600 that hasn't happened yet for me. I can fall asleep at my mouse and still come out with 75% of my 'Mech remaining and no components lost. I play divisions 1 and 2, although 2 is the only division I've had more than a handful of games in.

Basically, you want to field any 'Mech that can outfit a lot of high damage, low heat, low face time weapons. This way you can snap off a powerful attack every few seconds, and be twisting to spread damage the rest of the time. In my twin lb20-x Warhammer for instance, when I see an enemy fielding ultra ACs it's nearly a guaranteed win for me. Their damage trickles in and they must point their guns at me all the time. My damage comes in waves inbetween which I can shield my torsos.

#10 Throe

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:19 AM

[redacted]

#11 Bonzai VI

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 170 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:27 AM

@ViperLam
Ideally, get a guy that's far better than you and has experience in brawling/duels and get him to duel with you for an evening including revisions and thinking 'bout what weapons/equipment is good, hardpointlocations and so forth.
You'll get better and then you'll be able to get your Elo up.

But most importantly: Play with what you're having fun with. You're actually performing better that way.

#12 Mechsniper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 457 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 25 April 2018 - 05:36 PM

play with what your having fun with sounds nice. Unless you really love losing that is not working well especially in div 1 and 6 for me.

Not even playing 7 any more as the vindicator is ridiculously op for that div

#13 Throe

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:46 PM

[redacted]

#14 Lurm God

• PipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 05:43 AM

I just get really lucky over and over again Kappa

#15 Surn

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 07 May 2018 - 05:56 AM

View PostThroe, on 24 April 2018 - 10:19 AM, said:

I do this exact same thing with my Quickdraw IV-Four. Twin MRM40. In fact, my only real concern is those Twin LB-20-X AC builds, as they have slightly less facetime required than mine. Every I see an Annihilator or Direwolf with 6+ ACs of whatever type, I'm always reassured. I even had a second time opponent in a DWF hide from me on Steiner Colosseum at one point(I beat them fairly easily both times).

I realized last night that my Twin LB-20-X AC HBK-IIC that I used to run for Scouting works tremendously well in Solaris, and it's in Div 4.

I think you got my Zeus once with that thing

View PostMechsniper, on 25 April 2018 - 05:36 PM, said:

play with what your having fun with sounds nice. Unless you really love losing that is not working well especially in div 1 and 6 for me.

Not even playing 7 any more as the vindicator is ridiculously op for that div

Spider it

#16 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 12 May 2018 - 04:16 AM

Practice, find a build that suits your play style. Copy the meta if you wish, but never be scared to experiment. Learn some mind games and how to get the map that suits your mech the best. Shoot and twist, shoot and twist.

#17 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:22 PM

Some builds require you not to twist - twisting means delay in firing. Delay means death.

The amount of CTF-4X mirror-matches I have one as the opponent has become 'scared' and turned away once cored, allowing me 2-3 free shots to finish the game is staggering.

In Solaris - twisting is not always best practice, far from it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users