I Dont Get The Divisions

24 replies to this topic

#1 d00mchild

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 03:44 PM

The way i see it, the Divisions, as they are right now, make no sense. When you are piloting a Assault you will end up fighting lights and vice versa. Most of those matches will be very one sided. only when two very skilled pilots with a lot of game experience meet, the games will be tight and thrilling.

what i think would be way more interesting and fun, is

1. Divisions by weight class Lights, mediums, heavies, assaults.
2. Divisions by chassi. meaning. if you pilot a spider, you will fight a spider.
if you pilot roughneck, you will fight a roughneck
3. Divisions for everything. All chassis and variants are available.

Any thoughts on this?

also if someone can explain to me why the divisions are as they are. please do.

#2 Helsbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationThe frozen hell that is Wisconsin.

Posted 25 April 2018 - 03:58 PM

View Postd00mchild, on 25 April 2018 - 03:44 PM, said:

The way i see it, the Divisions, as they are right now, make no sense. When you are piloting a Assault you will end up fighting lights and vice versa. Most of those matches will be very one sided. only when two very skilled pilots with a lot of game experience meet, the games will be tight and thrilling.

2. Divisions by chassi. meaning. if you pilot a spider, you will fight a spider.

Any thoughts on this?

It's due to PGI's swivel chair, blindfold, dartboard based sorting process.

#3 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 25 April 2018 - 04:56 PM

Noone outside of PGI gets the divisions.

#4 KevinRenner

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 06:24 PM

View PostHelsbane, on 25 April 2018 - 03:58 PM, said:

It's due to PGI's swivel chair, blindfold, dartboard based sorting process.

They have a process - it is called spreadsheet warrior...they have stats...tons of them. How they interpret the stats I guess is based on dartboard sorting process....soooo you were right. Ignore me. Carry on

Edited by KevinRenner, 25 April 2018 - 06:24 PM.

#5 Throe

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 09:26 PM

[removed by user]

Edited by Throe, 05 October 2023 - 11:52 AM.

#6 Taxxian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationLeipzig

Posted 26 April 2018 - 06:09 AM

I think PGI did a pretty good job with the divisions.

I have yet to read a proposal that really is better.

Ok in Solo Div 1 and 3 (maybe 7) the winner is obvious, but that leaves 4 Divisions with multiple "best" builds.
Thats more than was to be expected!

And you have to take 2 vs 2 into consideration. 2 Annihilators get beaten by an Arctic Wolf + something if they know what they do...

So yes some tweaks have to be made, but at the moment there are more than 20 Variants that can win in Solo Solaris, I dont think you get it much higher with 7 divisions!

More than 7 divisions makes it impossible to find a match and less than 7 reduces the number of viable variants, so i would not change that either...

#7 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 26 April 2018 - 06:23 AM

View PostTaxxian, on 26 April 2018 - 06:09 AM, said:

I think PGI did a pretty good job with the divisions.

I have yet to read a proposal that really is better.

Ok in Solo Div 1 and 3 (maybe 7) the winner is obvious, but that leaves 4 Divisions with multiple "best" builds.
Thats more than was to be expected!

And you have to take 2 vs 2 into consideration. 2 Annihilators get beaten by an Arctic Wolf + something if they know what they do...

So yes some tweaks have to be made, but at the moment there are more than 20 Variants that can win in Solo Solaris, I dont think you get it much higher with 7 divisions!

More than 7 divisions makes it impossible to find a match and less than 7 reduces the number of viable variants, so i would not change that either...

Most of the best alternate proposals I've seen involve weight-based classes, with intermediate classes between them. My proposal was:

Light - 20-30 tons
light-medium 35-40 tons
medium 45-50 tons
medium-heavy 55-60 tons
heavy 65-70 tons
heavy-assault 75-85 tons
assault 90-100 tons

Keeps the same 7 buckets so PGI doesn't have to change the UI. Yes, the assault class would probably be dominated by the ANH, and there are other classes that would have dominant mechs, but it would at least be closer to fair than having hunchbacks vs highlanders or huntsmen vs annihilators.

#8 Mustang

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Leftenant General
  • Leftenant General
  • 125 posts
  • LocationMargaritaville , Al

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:51 AM

could we have a non-legging division ??

#9 Reposter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 226 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:09 AM

Some weird ideas to make Solaris 7 different, make it a Deathmatch Classic style where we play to get frags to win. I don't know I feel the current divisions system does not take it into account that most of the Mech concepts are designed for 12 v 12 quickplay mode. I got some wins in Division 3 with Heavy Clan mechs though, even though my opponents were mostly Assaults and Heavy mechs.

#10 Phoenix Strife

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 01:42 PM

I have to agree with the divisions to be set by weight class. I play a Roughneck in division 3 and when fighting against an opponent with a similar weight and build there's a 50/50 chance of winning. However, the majority of times I fight a King Crab and I lose due the tonnage difference; you just struggle to compete against the additional armour and weapons. After two days I just gave up with Solaris, as it got to point I was continually fighting King Crabs in D3.

So I went back into FP/QP, the general consensus on VOIP was that Solaris was broken because of the aforementioned; people were fighting in similar predicaments in other divisions and found it disheartening and disappointing. The only compromise was to go into a match with the heaviest mech available?!?!

The most noticeable comment by people during discussions in VOIP were they wouldn't play Solaris again until the divisions were sorted by weight.

#11 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 01:52 PM

There's a limit to how much they can divide up the divisions. I think perhaps they should consider an elo modifier based on tonnage difference. So the more skilled player is in the lighter mech.

#12 SgtMac

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 64 posts
  • LocationMorgantown, West Virginia

Posted 26 April 2018 - 10:42 PM

I want to know why PGI ignored the previous Mechwarrior games and the Solaris they had, it was Weight Class based, and they had an Open Division. I would guess that they think they can reinvent the wheel? The above excuses for their thinking seem sound, no one knows what or how. I wonder if they all had favorite tabletop mechs and thats how they decided? "I like this mech, but I dont like playing you so we can each have our own division!" My opinion, is take it tothe 4 classes Light, Medium, Heavy, Assault, and have an Open class. Make the rewards in the open class much better, since thats where you might see an insane Locust beating a Direwolf. They system now seems somewhat broken. But the games still mostly fun, so see ya on the field.

#13 Taxxian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationLeipzig

Posted 27 April 2018 - 12:49 AM

View PostEisenhorne, on 26 April 2018 - 06:23 AM, said:

Most of the best alternate proposals I've seen involve weight-based classes, with intermediate classes between them. My proposal was:

Light - 20-30 tons
light-medium 35-40 tons
medium 45-50 tons
medium-heavy 55-60 tons
heavy 65-70 tons
heavy-assault 75-85 tons
assault 90-100 tons

Keeps the same 7 buckets so PGI doesn't have to change the UI. Yes, the assault class would probably be dominated by the ANH, and there are other classes that would have dominant mechs, but it would at least be closer to fair than having hunchbacks vs highlanders or huntsmen vs annihilators.

Well you could do that, but it would make the games MUCH more predictable und 2 vs 2 much more boring... (if you manage to find a match) You only have to be prepared to fight someone with roughly the same speed and size...

Something else I like about PGIs divisions:

MRBC: we play best Light, best Medium, best Heavy...
FW: we play maximum effectiveness per ton
Quickplay: we levels mechs, or play the best in their weight class to improve Jarls List standing^^

PGIs divisions are not Weight based, so Mechs like King Crab, Vindicator, Zeus, Centurion, (not Sleipnir)Cyclops are suddenly top of the dung heap, you almost never see these mechs in other game modes! I like that!

And after x month PGI shuffles the divisions, and 10 other mechs you normally never see rise to power and get played again... thats great! (OK and the Anni gets nerfed cause you cant shuffle it upwards^^)

#14 Shypa

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 09:47 AM

Just put all these "Braindead Zombi Assaults" ( walk dakkadakka ,never turn , its just a 60ton enemy, easy win ), all the brave and smart ones field, into one closed Division.

#15 Uakari

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 116 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 10:58 AM

The divisions are not yet perfect, but more balanced then i thought. There were some matches that were very though and near impossible to win though, like one in my shadow hawk against a cataphract. I shielded well, hit every shot in his torso and it was very close in the end. Would have won if my mech had already been fully skilled.

But overall i like the idea that i have to fight lights in assaults. I had a rude awakening when a good pilot killed my king crab with his wolfhound.

I also killed an annihilator and an atlas with my orion iic easily.

It will get more balanced over time i hope. If the did the divisions based on quickplay or factionplay statistics they are not accurate of course.

But i think even now it is possible to win every solaris fight if you are a skillful pilot, though some will be very tough, but also very rewarding.

#16 Throe

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 07:12 PM

[removed by user]

Edited by Throe, 05 October 2023 - 11:52 AM.

#17 Lurm God

• PipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 06:10 AM

View Postd00mchild, on 25 April 2018 - 03:44 PM, said:

Any thoughts on this?

From my understanding and I think what I have read panel of private players with devs put together it from strenuous testing. A lot of it makes sense if you understand how to abuse some things but only issue is they heavily mistook the strength of DPS and damage per heat unit. Which happens when the players picked probably do not play mechs of this variety. They also rated Heavy Gauss way to highly which is why some poorer 1v1 mechs were placed in higher tiers. EG Thanatos or Warhammer 6r. Whereas any mech with 3-4 ballistic, 3-4 SRMS, dozen small pulse lasers etc and enough available tonnage will just put on the w key and steamroll while the dual HGG mech recharges its heavy gauss and glares menacingly.

Edited by Lurm God, 07 May 2018 - 06:13 AM.

#18 Kingdom Come

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 31 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, Ga

Posted 07 May 2018 - 01:21 PM

I have always enjoyed PVP, but it seems inevitable that everyone gravitates toward the best mech in each division. There is little variation in gameplay. I enjoy playing medium mechs, but they lack the firepower and armor of the larger mechs and do not have the speed to keep up with the smaller mechs. I typically use medium range missiles to up my damage, but small mechs are immune to this attack. I enjoy playing against my own weight class the most. There are times I can win against larger or smaller mechs, but only because the pilot was not skilled.

Edited by Kingdom Come, 07 May 2018 - 01:22 PM.

#19 Scythe Kagato

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 110 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 10:07 PM

Hey, let's group high-mount assaults with midget anklebiters in the same division for the lulz.

BECAUSE THAT'S THE ONLY WAY THE ANKLEBITERS CAN EVER COMPETE

#20 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:17 PM

The Divisions should be based on number of SRM capable hardpoints since the maps are all tiny forced short range maps. They nullify short range weakness which is the time it takes to get into and maintain short range and so unless you are a Supernova with 6x ER Large you will just be taken out by SRMs unless you carry more.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users