24 replies to this topic

#21 Lurm God

• PipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 08:21 AM

View PostLightfoot, on 10 May 2018 - 08:17 PM, said:

The Divisions should be based on number of SRM capable hardpoints since the maps are all tiny forced short range maps. They nullify short range weakness which is the time it takes to get into and maintain short range and so unless you are a Supernova with 6x ER Large you will just be taken out by SRMs unless you carry more.

I think you will find mechs that can boat ballistics to be more effective usually. This is because they share roughly a 3-1 damage to heat ratio like SRMS do but have often much greater range and pin point damage.

#22 Throe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 10:08 AM

[deleted by user]

Edited by Throe, 09 November 2018 - 12:39 PM.

#23 Lurm God

• PipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 04:14 AM

Engagement range is where usually the smarter of the 2 players forces the fight. I haven't noted speed to be an all determining factor in this. But I mean what do I know I haven't played much solaris.

Edited by Lurm God, 12 May 2018 - 04:15 AM.

#24 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 13 May 2018 - 04:14 AM

View PostThroe, on 11 May 2018 - 10:08 AM, said:

No one is forcing you to be at ~300m except perhaps your opponent, if you're taking slow 'Mechs to Solaris. Engagement range will usually be determined by the faster of the two combatants. The maps are plenty large enough to avoid SRM fire, if you're the faster unit on the field. Besides, then you'd end up with a bunch of Annihilators in Division 7, since none of them have any missile hardpoints(except the Mean Baby, which I guess would be in Division 3? No, this would be a silly way to arrange the Divisions.

That said, I still think several of the maps do need to be made slightly larger, or at least have the outer walls turned into simple OOB markers, with more playable space slightly outside them, for 'Mechs that are fast enough to make use of that.

Actually you can take a 90 kph mech and still find yourself forced to fight at under 400 meters with assaults who can barely do 50 kph most of the time. I have mentioned this trick of map geometry elswhere, however.....

Solaris 7 maps are small and a rough oval with the width border being roughly 650 meters from map center or less. So think of the maps as a record on a turntable with the slow Assault at the center and the faster mech at the edge. The Assault mech is barely moving while the mech at the edge is traveling over 3 times faster just to keep up. Okay, so how this plays out in Solaris 7 is the fast mech who wants to range the Assault with the 4x LB-10X is forced to retreat to the map edge. The Assault follows and crosses map center (this always happens). Now the faster mech is forced to retreat in a circle by the outer wall boundary while the Assault is moving directly at it from map center at up to 3x normal closure rate. So almost every match becomes a forced brawl at likely under 200 meters regardless of mech top speeds. If your mech goes about 120 kph, maybe you can evade brawling ranges most of the time. Of course some Assaults bring like 6x ER Large and rely on their armor to survive the short range part.

I was being a little sarcastic about the SRM divisions, but only a little.

#25 Throe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:49 PM

[deleted by user]

Edited by Throe, 09 November 2018 - 12:37 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users