Forged In Fire The Vulcan Pre-Order Is Here.

154 replies to this topic

#141 Grayson Sortek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 371 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 05:39 AM

View PostEvangelX, on 08 May 2018 - 02:39 AM, said:

Wow soo much salt! LOL whats going on!? Its like a daytime TV drama! Posted Image

Who knew an announcement about a not so well known 'Mech would cause such... conversation? Still interesting to read the different opinions.

All of this talk of stock loadouts and how IS 'Mechs are still relevant/good makes me want to play some more BattleTech where it isn't Meta-Warrior Online. That's why I like to hang around T3, I can run with builds that have diversity without having to go full _____vomit. Heck, I'm one of those people that argues that some of the "outdated" models are still incredibly relevant, especially with the new tech.

Man I really wish PGI had the ability/skill to incorporate gameplay aspects from Living Legends. Even the lowliest 'Mechs would be relevant in a combined arms game. Oh snap, I just opened up another can of worms: Discuss!

#142 Throe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:12 AM

[deleted by user]

Edited by Throe, 08 November 2018 - 05:46 PM.

#143 Throe

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:42 AM

[deleted by user]

Edited by Throe, 08 November 2018 - 05:46 PM.

#144 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 08 May 2018 - 11:28 AM

Throe, I just don't understand why you don't see how with everything PGI does gets picked apart to minutiae for them to offer *any* builds other that stock (i.e. what the loreheads find in TROs) opens up a veritable hornets nest of rage.

If they mod the default builds, some will become more OP out of the box than others. If they tailored builds based on current quirks/game mechanics and then something changes they are now selling "crap" and have to retool the builds.

So if you can offer custom builds for all the mechs in game that will not generate a *worse* [Redacted] than stock rollouts, I will be happy to consider it.

Edited by draiocht, 11 May 2018 - 09:56 PM.
inappropriate language

#145 EvangelX

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 38 posts
  • LocationAU

Posted 08 May 2018 - 01:04 PM

Please excuse my 'extreme ignorance' but why are you mentioning mechs in MWO that will or wont be in Battletech or is it MW5?

Will MW5 have infantry?! and do some of these new mechs ^ Vulcan automatically convert then to MW5?

MW5 is still only single player right?

So, the thread, Vulcan, I would almost buy it just for the ScareCrow!! thats a 'great' (read scary/filthy) looking mech!
I like the underdogs and non-meta as Sortek mentioned above.

Cheers o7

#146 Jaspbo1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 232 posts
  • LocationWoah

Posted 08 May 2018 - 03:16 PM

View PostEvangelX, on 08 May 2018 - 01:04 PM, said:

Please excuse my 'extreme ignorance' but why are you mentioning mechs in MWO that will or wont be in Battletech or is it MW5?

Will MW5 have infantry?! and do some of these new mechs ^ Vulcan automatically convert then to MW5?

So, the thread, Vulcan, I would almost buy it just for the ScareCrow!! thats a 'great' (read scary/filthy) looking mech!

Cheers o7

MW5 has infantry, and I'm assuming the reason for this release is because they want to get some cheeky dollah out of it since it's most likely ending up in MW5. I wouldn't be surprised if the next few 'mechs are all 3040< IS 'mechs.

Charger and Hatamoto Chi do I smell?

#147 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 08 May 2018 - 03:56 PM

View PostJaspbo1, on 08 May 2018 - 03:16 PM, said:

That would essentially be one mech that has bolt ons sold with it...

#148 Arkhangel

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 08 May 2018 - 04:16 PM

View PostJaspbo1, on 08 May 2018 - 03:16 PM, said:

MW5 has infantry, and I'm assuming the reason for this release is because they want to get some cheeky dollah out of it since it's most likely ending up in MW5. I wouldn't be surprised if the next few 'mechs are all 3040< IS 'mechs.

add to that that due to HBS's art sharing agreement with PGI, they'd be able to add the Vulcan to Battletech as well, as they use PGI art assets for the game, both from MWO (the mechs obviously) and the various tanks and ground vehicles from MW5 (Scorpion and Manticore tanks, for instance.)

point is, people really shouldn't be whining about the Vulcan especially as it came right on the heels of the Fafnir, Flea and Blood Asp, all three of which are extremely popular mech designs. PGI's allowed to give another classic-but-not-often-seen mech a chance to be in the limelight.

mean, seriously, people whined less than this when PGI literally made up a pair of mechs, but yet one that's a classic 3025 gets lambasted?

can't keep everyone happy, I guess.

#149 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 08 May 2018 - 04:31 PM

View PostArkhangel, on 08 May 2018 - 04:16 PM, said:

can't keep everyone happy, I guess.

That has been my observation since I started playing...

#150 Arkhangel

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:28 PM

View PostMovinTarget, on 08 May 2018 - 04:31 PM, said:

That has been my observation since I started playing...

it's been my observation for most of my life.

#151 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:30 PM

View PostEvangelX, on 08 May 2018 - 01:04 PM, said:

Cheers o7

The problem with Anti-Infantry Mechs in this game. Anti-Infantry Mechs tend to be ridiculously quirked and they lead to weapons like MGs getting buffed to the point that they are superior to most other weapons in certain situations because people cry that there is no infantry in this game so anti-infantry Mechs / weapons need to be made better to destroy Mechs. I really don't understand why we are getting this Mech instead of the Dervish, even though I don't mind having a variety of Mechs in the game.

#152 Arkhangel

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 11:52 AM

@Ed: well, as i and others have said, it's possible they plan to use this for MW5 as well as sharing it with HBS for BattleTech, since HBS's BattleTech game uses PGI art assets. it's even entirely possible HBS requested it be add/redesigned.

also, to be honest, if i remember right, the Dervish essentially mostly looks like a smaller Treb/larger Javelin. they might've wanted a buffer of some more unique looking mechs before we get a fourth "Buckethead" mech (the Victor being the third we currently have).

that said, the Vulcan does have some interesting stuff you can do, given its very decent jumping capability would make it an essentially cityfighter, especially with, say, a RAC or UAC/10 on one of its ballistic hardpoints (a build that works quite well for one of its 40 ton peers, the Cicada 3M).

Edited by Arkhangel, 09 May 2018 - 11:55 AM.

#153 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 10 May 2018 - 03:36 PM

View PostArkhangel, on 09 May 2018 - 11:52 AM, said:

@Ed: well, as i and others have said, it's possible they plan to use this for MW5 as well as sharing it with HBS for BattleTech, since HBS's BattleTech game uses PGI art assets. it's even entirely possible HBS requested it be add/redesigned.

also, to be honest, if i remember right, the Dervish essentially mostly looks like a smaller Treb/larger Javelin. they might've wanted a buffer of some more unique looking mechs before we get a fourth "Buckethead" mech (the Victor being the third we currently have).

that said, the Vulcan does have some interesting stuff you can do, given its very decent jumping capability would make it an essentially cityfighter, especially with, say, a RAC or UAC/10 on one of its ballistic hardpoints (a build that works quite well for one of its 40 ton peers, the Cicada 3M).

I agree that the Vulcan would be a useful Mech in BATTLETECH and probably MW5, since both of those games have vehicles.

#154 Burning Chrome

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 248 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 11:18 AM

So...no countdown for the Vulcan?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users