Russ To Shelf Laser Nerfs. Vias Twitter.

171 replies to this topic

#101 Nema Nabojiv

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts
  • LocationUA

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:06 AM

View Postoldradagast, on 13 May 2018 - 10:59 AM, said:

I find it hilarious that the "gud" players who love the proposed change are praising "staggering your lasers" as a solution when at the SAME TIME, good players have been telling new ones for years that weapons that require long face time are generally bad, which is true.

Don't think anyone with at least basic understanding said anything about staggering as a viable option. Gauss+PPC mentioned here before is a great example of what its like.

We just have, it seems, lots of new players who's getting killed by hellbringers.

#102 SFC174

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 695 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:08 AM

"overpowered crutch builds....."

This guy, he's too funny.

Go play a lasvomit HBK-4P and then play a lasvomit HBK-IIC-A. Tell me which one is easier to play. Hint, it ain't the Clan mech.

It takes more mouse skill to hold those long clan burns on a component. Takes a lot more patience to manage the heat too. And you've got less armor to protect you while you expose for those long burns (about 50% longer burn time for the clan mech).

#103 Luminis

• The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:10 AM

View PostWil McCullough, on 13 May 2018 - 06:01 AM, said:

same with the deathstrike. who puts erll on the deathstrike?! what's the point of putting 2 of the best ppfld weapons on it if you're gonna stare with erlls? go-to backup weapons have always been 6erml or a mix of erml and hmls.how are you even getting the tonnage and heatsinks to use 2erll and 2ermls at the same time? are you running like 2 tons of gauss ammo or something?

2x ERLL, 4x ERML, 2x Gauss (typically with ~19 DHS and ~4 tons of Gauss ammo, depending on whether you want a JJ or not) is ameta build on the Deathstrike. The lasers aren't backup weapons, they're there so you can put that 80 damage downrange. The 6 ERML, 2x Gauss build is more popular in solo queue (from my experience) because it's heat efficient and can carry enough ammo to take pot shots, but the "Big 80" is arguably the better build, at least in certain situations.

View PostSjorpha, on 13 May 2018 - 08:04 AM, said:

The yaw changes to MK2 seemed like a good change to me and IDK why that has to tabled just because of the complaints about the laser nerfs? In that case why not also table the Anni nerfs?

I think that's more due to people pointing out that the MCII nerfs (which are justified IMHO) come in just as they release a potential MCII "successor", namely the Blood Asp. Also, had the Laser changes gone through, it would've had a tough time running Deathstrike-esque loadouts, but without the changes, it can run the 2x Gauss, 6x ERML build (with ECM) sufficiently well, even if it loses a bit of heat efficiency.

As for the Anni nerfs, I personally strongly feel like these are driven by the Anni's performance in Solaris (which I fundamentally disagree with, but I might be biased because I love my 2HGR Anni), so that isn't affected by the laser changes or the P2W accusations.

My impression, at least.

View PostCFC Conky, on 13 May 2018 - 10:16 AM, said:

Hello all,

I'm no expert on all things Clan laser, but would the HLL nerf be less harsh if they unlinked it from the other LL class for gh? How about buffing the HLL a bit (admittedly, this might go against lore), so that carrying just one becomes more viable?

There's no such a thing as GH in the lore, so no worries there.

Thing is, being able to fire 2x ERLL and 1x HLL is, I think, a huge buff to a number of Mechs that don't need a buff, even compared to 2x HLL. I don't think it's a good idea tbh.

View Postfrumpylumps, on 13 May 2018 - 10:17 AM, said:

GET GUD.

You're telling a player who's got double your average matchscore and five times your KDR to git gud. You sure you wanna go down that slippery slope?

View Postoldradagast, on 13 May 2018 - 10:59 AM, said:

I find it hilarious that the "gud" players who love the proposed change are praising "staggering your lasers" as a solution when at the SAME TIME, good players have been telling new ones for years that weapons that require long face time are generally bad, which is true.

The "gud" players supporting the GH nerf and the good players telling people that high exposure weapons aren't good aren't the same people, that's all there is to it.

Edited by Luminis, 13 May 2018 - 11:14 AM.

#104 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:14 AM

View Postfrumpylumps, on 13 May 2018 - 10:56 AM, said:

Having your overpowered crutch builds nerfed is not supposed to be fun. It is necessary.

Bro, I don't even play a hellbringer that often, and I don't have one set up for that style of laser vomit its not my jam.

#105 Nema Nabojiv

• 1,783 posts
  • LocationUA

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:15 AM

View PostLuminis, on 13 May 2018 - 11:10 AM, said:

As for the Anni nerfs, I personally strongly feel like these are driven by the Anni's performance in Solaris (which I fundamentally disagree with, but I might be biased because I love my 2HGR Anni), so that isn't affected by the laser changes or the P2W accusations.

I have the same feeling, and that is simply infuriating. The man who makes balance decisions based on the performance in very specific 1v1 meta is an idiot and should be kept ten miles away from any electronic device.

#106 Luminis

• The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:19 AM

View PostNema Nabojiv, on 13 May 2018 - 11:15 AM, said:

I have the same feeling, and that is simply infuriating. The man who makes balance decisions based on the performance in very specific 1v1 meta is an idiot and should be kept ten miles away from any electronic device.

Absolutely.

I mean, I understand why the Anni is seen as problematic within the context of Solaris, but if push comes to shove, I'd rather see it get banned from Solaris than nerfed and affected in every other game mode as well.

View Postfrumpylumps, on 13 May 2018 - 11:19 AM, said:

Believing stats correlates with skill in this game makes numerous mental errors.

Believing that stats like WLR and KDR aren't reflecting your ability to play the game well is, quite simply, illogical.

I do understand why you want to believe that stats are meaningless, though, how else would you be able to hold on to the illusion of being a good player?

In other words, I am quite certain that the plenty of the people you've called out as bad would mop the floor with you in a 1v1.

Edited by Luminis, 13 May 2018 - 11:26 AM.

#107 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:24 AM

View Postfrumpylumps, on 13 May 2018 - 11:19 AM, said:

Believing stats correlates with skill in this game makes numerous mental errors that you will be embarrassed for.

They absolutely do.

While I don't believe Average match score is the best indicator of skill (it can be gamed to a certain degree) your WLR and KDR when considered together paint a pretty convincing picture that you are not as good at the game as the people you are telling to get gud.

#108 frumpylumps

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:28 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 13 May 2018 - 11:24 AM, said:

They absolutely do.

While I don't believe Average match score is the best indicator of skill (it can be gamed to a certain degree) your WLR and KDR when considered together paint a pretty convincing picture that you are not as good at the game as the people you are telling to get gud.

You are making several assumptions there. Can you recognize them before I point them out.

Edited by frumpylumps, 13 May 2018 - 11:28 AM.

#109 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:40 AM

View Postfrumpylumps, on 13 May 2018 - 11:28 AM, said:

You are making several assumptions there. Can you recognize them before I point them out.

Would you like to explain why having a less than 1.0 KDR and WLR entitles you to tell other people to get good at the game when those people consistently perform better than you?

The only things I may be overlooking is that you play poorly on purpose or that this is an alt account you don't care about.

#110 frumpylumps

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:44 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 13 May 2018 - 11:40 AM, said:

Would you like to explain why having a less than 1.0 KDR and WLR entitles you to tell other people to get good at the game when those people consistently perform better than you?

The only things I may be overlooking is that you play poorly on purpose or that this is an alt account you don't care about.

Because talent or appearing to have talent by copying someone else doesn't necessarily mean good critical thinking skills. Is intentionally playing poorly the only reason you can think of?

Once Luminis throws in his chips, ill give you stat-warriors your due.

Edited by frumpylumps, 13 May 2018 - 11:55 AM.

#111 SFC174

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 695 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:48 AM

Cause when you hit bottom, you should always keep digging.

#112 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:48 AM

View Postfrumpylumps, on 13 May 2018 - 11:44 AM, said:

Because talent or copying someone else doesn't necessarily mean good critical thinking skills. Is intentionally playing poorly the only reason you can think of?

Once Luminis throws in his chips, ill give you your due.

So why can't you think your way into winning more often?

Edit: Oh no my due. Someone with considerably worse stats than mine is going to tell me how they're better at the game.

Edited by Prototelis, 13 May 2018 - 11:51 AM.

#113 Dogstar

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,725 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:51 AM

View PostCK16, on 12 May 2018 - 12:26 PM, said:

Check out @russ_bullock’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/...3738375169?s=09

FFS what a *****

#114 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:54 AM

View PostDogstar, on 13 May 2018 - 11:51 AM, said:

FFS what a *****

You'd prefer Russ make all the decisions? I prefer the idea he has to at least confer with others about it. Rather than just kneejerk reaction.

#115 Luminis

• The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:55 AM

View Postfrumpylumps, on 13 May 2018 - 11:44 AM, said:

Once Luminis throws in his chips, ill give you your due.

My chip is: Put up or shut up.

We've got the tools at our disposal. Can't offer Lights because I don't play those, but Mediums, Heavies and Assaults? I'm game. I'll use IS Mechs, if it makes you feel better, too.

So, how about it? You free tomorrow?

#116 neofightr

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 12:01 PM

we need more cooks in this kitchen!!!! I demand it!

More armchair designers and developers for the love of god we need more of them!!!

Let's drive the PGI staff to the brink of insansity!

Edited by neofightr, 13 May 2018 - 12:01 PM.

#117 Luminis

• The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 May 2018 - 12:02 PM

View Postneofightr, on 13 May 2018 - 12:01 PM, said:

Let's drive the PGI staff to the brink of insansity!

I'd assume we already did.

I mean, that's why Russ did the last townhall drunk, wasn't it? Posted Image

#118 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 12:13 PM

View PostLuminis, on 13 May 2018 - 11:55 AM, said:

My chip is: Put up or shut up.

We've got the tools at our disposal. Can't offer Lights because I don't play those, but Mediums, Heavies and Assaults? I'm game. I'll use IS Mechs, if it makes you feel better, too.

So, how about it? You free tomorrow?

Lol, I kinda knew it was going to go there.

To be fair, frumpy isn't offering a large sample size. There are more than likely some outlier performances in there we aren't privy to that are fueling his opinion.

#119 Luminis

• The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 May 2018 - 12:20 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 13 May 2018 - 12:13 PM, said:

Lol, I kinda knew it was going to go there.

To be fair, frumpy isn't offering a large sample size. There are more than likely some outlier performances in there we aren't privy to that are fueling his opinion.

Most certainly, and to be perfectly honest, I don't put a lot of faith in the stats usually. I just get touchy when people act like they're hot shots like that. First time someone frustrated me enough to go there, though.

#120 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 01:12 PM

View Postfrumpylumps, on 13 May 2018 - 12:59 PM, said:

TL;DR
My stats are bad because I play drunk, on a potato, using only a joystick & my teeth, in a 1 SL LCT with 0 armour.
I could beat you any time, if I actually tried.

That about right then?

14 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users