Congratulation Pgi - You Started Up The Clan Vs Is Balance Flame Wars Again

13 replies to this topic

#1 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:35 AM

You know just the other day I was thinking how nice it was that most of the Clan vs IS balance threads had faded away to just a low flickering flame. It was really nice to actually realize that for the most part people seemed to feel the game had finally achieved some equilibrium and didn't feel compelled to post daily about how unfair it was to be IS or had bad it was to be Clans do to all the nerfs they have received. It was like a breath of fresh air.

Then suddenly....CLANS ALPHA IS OP, WE MUST NERF WITH GHOST HEAT!!!

And here we are back at it again. Over and over and over.

So congrats, on turning the forums yet again into the ultimate expression of the Clan vs IS war.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:35 AM

The roleplayer flame wars never really ended.

Posted Image

#3 Luminis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:40 AM

Won't change as long as people somehow side with one of the fictional factions IRL and are emotionally invested to the degree they are.

#4 MrXanthios

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 186 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 04:28 PM

View PostLuminis, on 13 May 2018 - 11:40 AM, said:

Won't change as long as people somehow side with one of the fictional factions IRL and are emotionally invested to the degree they are.

Totally agree, I like mechwarrior, I like mechs, I can't care less of inner sphere or clan, I would love to play both equally. Fact is when I try to play lasers on an IS mech it is simply depressing to see how they just perform horribly worse under every aspect, damage, range, heat management. Then I am forced to go back to the smegmabringer, which I personally hate and I hate seeing other players going around with it, just because it is the easiest choice, but ehy, we are humans, so it is the natural choice. Said that, the proposed changes were too much, nonetheless lasers from both factions need some revisit, IS lasers need to be tuned up, and C lasers to be tuned down.

#5 LordBraxton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 04:45 PM

I have played clan mechs 99% of the time since they came out, minus the initial quirkening, because they are objectively better, and it makes me cringe and laugh at the same time, when I see the way clan players on these forums whine when PGI tries to actually balance their OP tech.

It's funny when they bring up the damage per tick of IS lasers, when the IS mechs have worse engines, worse heatsinks, and worse upgrades. IS lasers are going to have to be better in terms of efficiency to make up for the fact that clan chassis themselves are far and away more efficient.

Oh well, back to my Clan heavies and assaults.

#6 Xetelian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 05:36 PM

#7 Vonbach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 697 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 05:53 PM

Well seeing Russ cave so blatantly to clan whining is going to make any sort of balance difficult
if not impossible. It'll also make the faction hate worse with the blatant favoritism.

#8 FireStoat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 06:16 PM

View PostVonbach, on 13 May 2018 - 05:53 PM, said:

Well seeing Russ cave so blatantly to clan whining is going to make any sort of balance difficult
if not impossible. It'll also make the faction hate worse with the blatant favoritism.

Or, it might have been that Russ has a brain and examined the issue that his worker(s) beneath him were up to and concluded that yes, nerfing 21+ chassis / variants that have stock loadouts of energy rolled into their 8/8 quirks or hardpoints that are locked with a goal of targeting 3-4 clan mechs that boat lasers well was a bad idea.

One more time. Nerfing the Hellbringer may or may not be a good idea. Nerfing numerous clan Lights, the Ice Ferret, Black Lanner, Nova, Linebacker, Shadowcat, and other similar mechs with restricted weapons choices / tonnage to effect the nerf on the Hellbringer is a bad idea. If you honestly think Russ is so weak willed that he would cave into player outrage every time the boards get hot, then the engine decouple from agility would have been reviewed several times over before it actually went out AND we would have gotten ANYTHING other than the crappy skill maze that drove so many players away.

#9 Crazy Joe

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 06:22 PM

View PostVonbach, on 13 May 2018 - 05:53 PM, said:

I feel like I've already said this like 5 times. I don't think anyone here nor many of the people complaining about the laser nerf are against nerfs outright. However, what PGI intended to do with more ghost heat (which kills a few mechs, destroys a playstyle, and is just a hamfisted unfun change) made it worthy of as much outcry as there was.

No one was complaining because "muh clans", people were complaining because it ruins a playstyle instead of leaving the playstyle itself alone and nerfing the efficacy of it. If they wanted to reduce the alpha, why wasn't their first step to reduce the damage? Why not let people actually USE laser vomit if they want to and just make it less good? In the example of HLL, I don't think it'd be a huge deal to take it from 18 damage to 16 or even 15 while reducing the heat and/or burn time to keep its usability similar to how it is now. The medium lasers are the same story. Reduce the damage by a point or so and shift the heat/burn time to keep the damage per heat and damage per tick similar.

Anyway, my point wasn't to get into the specifics of it. My point is that while it is totally acceptable to want to nerf clan laser vomit alpha, it is completely ridiculous to do that by piling on more ghost heat restrictions. Let folks use what they want to use, but balance them appropriately instead of outright nuking the playstyle.

#10 Mortalcoil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 299 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 07:12 PM

It's just hilarious that players held a game hostage to stop nerfs from happening.

I have seen nerfs reverted plenty of times in games, but to see incoming nerfs stopped because players held the game hostage with threats of quitting and cancelling orders? Never.

and you're gonna say Russ said that wasn't the case, but we all know that's exactly what happened. People call Clan whiney and entitled. This is truly their crowning achievement, but I'm completely fine with it. I'll continue to press one button and break 1k easily on my ebon jaguar, just, brings a smile to my face when I think of a game being held hostage by its players and the devs caving because of it.

#11 Mortalcoil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 299 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 07:17 PM

View PostFireStoat, on 13 May 2018 - 06:16 PM, said:

Or, it might have been that Russ has a brain and examined the issue that his worker(s) beneath him were up to and concluded that yes, nerfing 21+ chassis / variants that have stock loadouts of energy rolled into their 8/8 quirks or hardpoints that are locked with a goal of targeting 3-4 clan mechs that boat lasers well was a bad idea.

One more time. Nerfing the Hellbringer may or may not be a good idea. Nerfing numerous clan Lights, the Ice Ferret, Black Lanner, Nova, Linebacker, Shadowcat, and other similar mechs with restricted weapons choices / tonnage to effect the nerf on the Hellbringer is a bad idea. If you honestly think Russ is so weak willed that he would cave into player outrage every time the boards get hot, then the engine decouple from agility would have been reviewed several times over before it actually went out AND we would have gotten ANYTHING other than the crappy skill maze that drove so many players away.

Apparently when all of the IS laser boats were boating LPL's last year, save for a couple ultra long range varieties, and PGI decided to take a hatchet to IS LPL's, 21+ IS chassis, that was COMPLETELY fine though.

#12 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 07:42 PM

View PostMortalcoil, on 13 May 2018 - 07:17 PM, said:

Apparently when all of the IS laser boats were boating LPL's last year, save for a couple ultra long range varieties, and PGI decided to take a hatchet to IS LPL's, 21+ IS chassis, that was COMPLETELY fine though.

Which side do you think has the majority? No doubt the one with the top meta performers. So the outcry is louder and more persistent. On top of that there's the ever popular "I'm canceling my pre-orders!" or "I was GONNA spend money, but wallet closed!" Even though I've seen some of those people say their wallets are closed for months at every chance they get.

#13 tworivers

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 47 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:10 PM

I did not realize that we had so many 12 vs 1 matches happening. Yes balance that how dare a mech pilot not be able to wipe out 12 other mechs. He is right it was quiet and then with this back at it , both sides whining. Now in quick play the major problem is stupidity not OP mechs and that goes for both sides and most of you know this that a good team will roll an OP team who is just there being hero's. But of course that would be like telling two grandma's to quit gossiping about the others where as the fun is in creating the drama and trying to look smart hiding the fact your whining.

#14 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:17 PM

View Posttworivers, on 13 May 2018 - 08:10 PM, said:

I did not realize that we had so many 12 vs 1 matches happening. Yes balance that how dare a mech pilot not be able to wipe out 12 other mechs. He is right it was quiet and then with this back at it , both sides whining. Now in quick play the major problem is stupidity not OP mechs and that goes for both sides and most of you know this that a good team will roll an OP team who is just there being hero's. But of course that would be like telling two grandma's to quit gossiping about the others where as the fun is in creating the drama and trying to look smart hiding the fact your whining.

Can't fix stupid unfortunately. We can put up guides and be helpful to newbies. But at the end of the day 12 pugs are gonna do what pugs do. And the matchmaker will just have to work with what we've got. Which is not as many vets as we used to, probably.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users