- - - - -

Why Does Pgi Not Give Us A Proper Reticle?

51 replies to this topic

#41 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 01 June 2018 - 11:47 AM

I'd have to go in-game to look for it... Give me a few.

#42 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 11:55 AM

Ok, so I switched to Color Blind reticle, and it changed to the baby blue, and won't go back. Seems I had a glitch.

#43 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 01 June 2018 - 01:57 PM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 01 June 2018 - 11:55 AM, said:

Ok, so I switched to Color Blind reticle, and it changed to the baby blue, and won't go back. Seems I had a glitch.

Interesting bug.

I will note that I have the color blind reticle on, but that's because it is more apparent when I hit things more than anything else.

#44 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 09:37 PM

Yeah, I hadn't turned it on previously, thinking it would be a typical colorblind reticle, which actually is much worse for me. As it is now, this should be the standard.

#45 Tier5ForLife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 481 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 04:41 AM

I was going to guess "some sort of light blue" which is about all I can tell. One HUGE problem is that it blends in on a lot of maps.

And I did finally see the Reticle turn "red" when hitting a target. I did it on the testing grounds. And how the funk is that supposed to help? I'd rather PGI start listing damage for every hit.

If I fire 100 LRMs and do 3 points of damage I want a pop up that says "3 damage" just like at the Academy.

I think one reason I've never noticed it in a game is 1) I'm too busy getting shot at. 2) To see if I'm hitting, I have to look a lot over to the upper right at the enemy damage screen. 3) Isn't RED the same color they use when you have locked on with a missile? As I've said, I often have to put an LRM 5 with no ammo on my mechs to get a REAL LOOKING (but red) crosshairs to see well enough to shoot.

My "niche" used to be Kit Foxes and 3 AMS. Now everyone has AMS and missiles are not being used as often. (I'd like a left arm with another 3 AMS for the Kit Fox).

So I'm going to just start playing my "conquest" mechs. One plus about playing a 20-ton Light is if I die, it does not make that big of a difference.

Thanks so much for you gals and guys ACTUALLY looking at the in-game reticles. I applaud both of you for not use blowing this off.

#46 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 04:46 AM

View PostLikeUntoBuddha, on 02 June 2018 - 04:41 AM, said:

Thanks so much for you gals and guys ACTUALLY looking at the in-game reticles. I applaud both of you for not use blowing this off.

Color blind reticles is something PGI has mentioned needs work. The problem is getting one that wont provide "extra benefits" that addresses colorblindness. But as stated previously, the question falls into "which version of colorblindness are we correcting for?", which makes things much harder than one always thinks.

#47 Tier5ForLife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 481 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 05:06 AM

Once again BLACK IS BLACK.

So I'd go with....BLACK!

#48 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 05:14 AM

View PostLikeUntoBuddha, on 02 June 2018 - 05:06 AM, said:

So I'd go with....BLACK!

Problems with black, Mining collective is a dark colored map, so you probably wouldn't see it there. Terra Therma, same thing. HPG is all grey, so it might be difficult to see there as well. Any of the dynamic maps at night. Any black colored mech may end up making it difficult for you to see the reticle on them, thus leading to less accurate shots on their mechs.

That's only the maps I can think of. A pure black reticle will still blend in a lot, and would really only be truly visible on white snow maps.

I personally am of the school of thought of dropping the faction specific HUD colors, and letting us all select a HUD color. This way, people can all select what HUD we can see best, be it blue, red, yellow, orange, purple, black... neon florescent hot "melt your eyes out" pink? Then, any advantage granted to a player via HUD color selection would technically be available to all players.

Something tells me you would have missed the old days of MW:O with thermal vision being in blues and reds. Back then, the joke was "Blue warrior online", as everyone played with thermals on to see things better. (It really needed to change, but I'm not happy with our current thermal mode right now either.)

#49 Cloves

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 561 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 09:09 AM

View PostLikeUntoBuddha, on 02 June 2018 - 05:06 AM, said:

So I'd go with....BLACK!

Grab a scope, go outside in the woods at night. Tell me again how great black is on your recticle. There is a reason red dot scopes are so popular.

In game you want maximum contrast so you can see the damn thing. Half the maps have a day/night cycle, half the maps are very dark all the damn time. Mechs will display as dark grey outside of a certain range.

#50 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 03 June 2018 - 03:26 PM

If running Windows 10 you can change via Settings, Ease of Access then color filters. I played with it for awhile. Talk about being different Posted Image

To toggle the set filter on/off via the hotkey, if enabled, is done without game being in focus. MWO has window key disabled when in focus, for obvious reasons.. :) Oh no, I cannot control my mech (person had hit window key, losing focus..)

https://www.tenforum...ndows-10-a.html

Posted Image

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 03 June 2018 - 03:43 PM.

#51 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 03 June 2018 - 04:55 PM

As far as the reticle turning red, it IS useful. Just make sure that you're hitting the enemy, because it lights up whenever damage is done by you.

#52 Xeno Phalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 03 June 2018 - 05:03 PM

I wish we could change the hud color as a whole, I prefer IS mechs and tend to have chronic eye strain so I wear yellow overlay lenses and lemme tell you keeping track of where I am aiming can be a real challenge sometimes lol especially on sandy maps like caustic and tourmaline.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users