Keeping New Players

34 replies to this topic

Poll: Keeping New Players (21 member(s) have cast votes)

Agree?

1. Yes. (8 votes [38.10%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.10%

2. Partly. (7 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Voted No becuase I'm an idiot. (6 votes [28.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

Vote

#21 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:19 AM

Biased pool is biased.

"No, because I'm an idiot"?

How about "No, because I just don't agree with you"... far less insulting. Or just "No/Disagree"?

Rest of this thread is basically null because of the rudeness of the poll for anyone who "disagrees" with the OP. Maybe... a nicely worded poll with a less insulting option to choose from? Posted Image

#22 Darkstrand

• PipPipPip
  • Fanjunkare
  • Fanjunkare
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:06 AM

View PostTesunie, on 06 June 2018 - 08:19 AM, said:

Biased pool is biased.

"No, because I'm an idiot"?

How about "No, because I just don't agree with you"... far less insulting. Or just "No/Disagree"?

Rest of this thread is basically null because of the rudeness of the poll for anyone who "disagrees" with the OP. Maybe... a nicely worded poll with a less insulting option to choose from? Posted Image

Sorry, the big boys are talking.

How about you form an argument before posting?

#23 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:18 AM

View PostDarkstrand, on 06 June 2018 - 09:06 AM, said:

Sorry, the big boys are talking.

How about you form an argument before posting?

Okay, so adults, when talking rationally, fall onto "if you don't agree with me, you are an idiot"? Doesn't seem like a rational and objective option.

I mean, I can go right on ahead and explain myself, but how well you do believe it will be received when "you are an idiot if you disagree with me" is literally one of the poll options? It's not exactly becoming of a good area to reasonable debate...

My argument has already been formed. So... if this is the reaction I get. then my argument just got merit and additional proof. Please, keep talking "like a big boy"...

Creating actual poll options that don't have bias is an important part of a poll. Saying "you disagree with me, you must be dumb" is not a valid poll option.

I am more than happy to ignore the poll and state what I do and don't agree with. But now I must run to work.

#24 Darkstrand

• PipPipPip
  • Fanjunkare
  • Fanjunkare
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:30 AM

View PostTesunie, on 06 June 2018 - 09:18 AM, said:

Okay, so adults, when talking rationally, fall onto "if you don't agree with me, you are an idiot"? Doesn't seem like a rational and objective option.

I mean, I can go right on ahead and explain myself, but how well you do believe it will be received when "you are an idiot if you disagree with me" is literally one of the poll options? It's not exactly becoming of a good area to reasonable debate...

My argument has already been formed. So... if this is the reaction I get. then my argument just got merit and additional proof. Please, keep talking "like a big boy"...

Creating actual poll options that don't have bias is an important part of a poll. Saying "you disagree with me, you must be dumb" is not a valid poll option.

I am more than happy to ignore the poll and state what I do and don't agree with. But now I must run to work.

Ok. So what is your argument for the new player experience?

#25 TheoLu

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 73 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNapier, South Africa

Posted 06 June 2018 - 01:37 PM

Tesunie, just 'cause the Op chose so childish a poll option for disagreement doesn't mean one's argument can't prove that poll option to be indicative of just how petty the Op was to have made it such in the first place.

Post your views. Given reason why the Op may be the one who's the idiot in the discussion..

#26 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 05:46 PM

As I make comments, I will mention right now: We are all entitled to our own opinion. Even if I disagree with you opinion because my own opinion is different doesn't reflect or invalidate anything. It's just a difference of opinion.

View PostZombiesbum, on 21 May 2018 - 03:03 AM, said:

Mech bays
Currently PGI offers a whopping 4 mech bays to use for any player that starts. This is beyond pathetic considering that it shouldn't even be a resource in this game.

The only way a new player is going to be able to use more than 4 mechs is either dropping faction play, joining the game during or just before an event that offers MC/Bays, or forking over money. This is not good enough.

New players should have more starting bays and ideally mech bays should be removed all together. After all I'm willing to guess that mech packs are really what makes the money.

As far as mech bays go, four is plenty more than enough to start with. If you can't decide if you like this game off four mech bays, then it's probably not a game for you.

I will make note now that this is a free to play game. As such, it's completely free for people to play. However, also realize now that it's also produced with the intention of making money as well. mech bays make for a reasonable low income portion of the games profit. They are cheap to get, but you really don't need many unless you want more.

I may also be from a different school of thought here, but personally if I've enjoyed the game enough to play and obtain four mechs, then why not throw the game a bone and purchase a few more mech bays? I question people on "do you see this game being worth $7?" If your answer is yes (and you've filled up your free mechbays), then why not spend $7 and get another four mech bays? Catch it on a sale, and that could be eight bays.

Also, I will note, there are plenty of ways a free to play only player can get lots of mechbays. Currently, with enough work, a player can earn two free mechbays per faction when working in FP. If one wanted bays faster, they can do a tour of all the factions for the tier two reward bay. And, on top of that, you don't have to own four mechs for that, just one. Do scouting mode. (There are forums with New Player Help for a reason. They have the resources, if they choose to use them.)

So, even as a free player, one can still earn plenty of mech bays to have a large collection of mechs. This even excludes events that pop up with free mechbays and potentially free mechs (C-bill boosters and Exp boosters). So there is no shortage of ways to obtain more than enough bays. (Not to mention how many MC you might earn during an event as well. I mean, I've got a ton of MC for free so far. Enough to purchase a few hero mechs (that were on sale) already...)

Trial Mechs
Trial mechs need to be customizable with skills to allocate so players can better make a choice if a mech suits them. I don't understand why a players can't customize trial mechs. Give me a good reason why it shouldn't be the case.

Trial mechs don't need to be customized, as they are always available. However, we could certainly use more up to date loadouts that aren't based upon the current or past metas. We need reliable mech loadouts that are easy to use, without being bland, stale or require a huge in depth understanding of the game/heat management. Right now, we have so many medium laser champion builds... it's crazy. And all of them typically run hot or in such a niche role that it's more difficult for a new player than "older" players seem to realize.

We also could use trial mechs to rotate a lot more often, or have more of them available. The last round of champion mechs introduced were a good start for revamping the loadouts. A lot of them really did consider new player strategies, but we still had a few flops enter in...

As far as why they shouldn't be customizable... if they where then what point would there be in owning your own mech? Recall above about mech bays that the intent for the game is to earn income. mech bays and selling mechs (even for C-bills) aids in this. Remove some of the need to purchase sets of mechs, and now people would only need to purchase non-trial mechs.

I certainly will agree that all trial mechs should earn experience on themselves, and that (to better help new players understand the skill tree) maybe have it where they can grant some skill points, but not to mastery levels. Of course, excluding the C-bill cost of skill points (because they don't own the mech). It could be a risk free way to explore the skill tree system.

Payouts
Payouts for games screw over new players completely. A new player is only going to have 2 mechs outfitted by the time he/she finishes their 20 odd games of "starter cash". Of which those mechs may not even be optimal or fun to play.

A new player does not have the mechs OR experience to gain high damage during games. When I first started I was lucky to get over 100k for a win. A new player is going to look at their **** payout and understand that's its going to take a long time buy the mechs they want.

And I don't care what any of you say. You do not make a thriving community by strangling your consumers until they pay for mechs just because they are playing for free. Especially when the quality of content is questionable (unfixed bugs for over 2 years for example), I'm not going to support a company that does not improve basic features like chat, friends lists, UI, rep system, loading times, etc.

I digress. Every player in a match should have an equal payout depending on win/loss rather than damage done. This not only helps new players not leave in frustration but actually encourages team play and objective based games instead of chasing kills to get paid. It also addresses the problem of trying to measure unmeasurable contribution to the team.

I really do not understand why PGI has not done this already.

I will mention, a new player I've helped recently was able to, right out of the academy, purchase their very own Vindicator. That is excluding the bonus C-bills from their first 20 matches. If they (once again) come onto the forums, they can receive plenty of advice on what to potentially purchase with their boosted C-bills.

As far as match earnings, it is suppose to be based upon match participation to better reward those who play better. It's to incentivize players to improve and earn more C-bills. I'll also mention that, in a game designed such as this, you don't want players to earn new mechs too quickly. If they could purchase a new mech after only five matches (to say a random number), then we'd all be swimming in C-bills. There is suppose to be an element of grind, otherwise people would lose a sense of accomplishment when they did manage to get that new mech. Not to mention a lacking of any personal goals...

Combined C-bill pools for the team based only on win or loss would be equally frustrating, and overall would probably be stale and reward low/non-participation. It would lead to events of frustrated high involvement players dragging around low involved players.

Have you ever heard of the class room experiment where the whole class gets the same grade, based upon their group average? At first, the students where excited for it. The students who got low grades loved it because they ended up getting higher grades. The high grade students ended up giving up, because no matter what happened their grades where going down, till eventually the whole class failed because no one wanted to try and get good grades, counting on "someone else" to do the work. Then, they all got upset (especially those still trying to do the work and get a good grade) when they all failed the class together.

This is what would happen if that system was placed into this game.

Rest of this section seems more like... needless and unrelated ranting no associated with in game income...

Consumables
Consumables should be free to use but obviously not generate any income. I don't use consumables that often because I need the c-bills. While other people have over 200 million.
This means that if you don't need the c-bills you are going to fill your mech with consumables and thus have a slight advantage because you don't care about making money. This creates an even wider gap between new players and long time players. Also consumables rarely pay for themselves.

Balance consumables based on their stats and usage, not on how much they cost.

I find that, most times, a single well used consumable earns itself in C-bills and then some. I will also note, new players are in T5. Most "long time players" are probably in T3-2 (not a guarantee). So, at the new player level, most players probably are not using consumables...

However, I've always been of the opinion that consumables never should have been placed within the game... ever. It just isn't very "Battletech"... and throws the whole game out of wack.

I digress though. I don't think making consumables free would be good, and they would have to give rewards for good use of them. I don't know how you could make them "not grant rewards when used"... Maybe they should be cheaper? Maybe they need to be reworked? Sure. However, we wont see them removed now, and they certainly will never be free...

QoL
PGI, it seems to me that you underestimate quality of life changes. When you go to an interview dressed like **** how likely are you to get that job?
The same applies to MWO. When new players see things like; broken friends list (for over 2 years), basic features like not being able to chat to friends in a match, or loading times that makes windows 95 seem fast, is it any wonder why the game has such a low population when these things are left in such a state?

My friend's list hasn't been broken as far as I know of. I've seen a few bugs where players where offline, but where registered as online still. And another small bug about incorrect factions showing sometimes. Besides those few minor (in my opinion) bugs, I've not seen anything horrifically wrong with the social tab.

Load times seem reasonable to me. I've seen many other games with much longer load times. (Blade and Soul for example, takes forever just to get into the game. Or Star Trek Online as another example, or Guild Wars 2.) If you are seeing exceptionally long load times, it might be your computer or internet, rather than PGI's program...

Oh, and BT/MW has never had a high population. There is a reason Microsoft hadn't created a game off the IP for so many years... because there isn't as much of a demand for it as other IPs might have. So, our population is low mostly because of niche game IP, rather than bugs in the systems.

#27 A Headless Chicken

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 273 posts
  • LocationImmersed in Stupid.

Posted 06 June 2018 - 06:44 PM

Something that hasn't been addressed here is the issue of the Skill Maze. In an average game of mine where I crack around 600+ damage, with premium time active, I get enough 'Mech exp to fill up a whopping 2 or 3 nodes on my skill maze - that is around 1600-2400 and a 2 digit amount of GXP. Amazing.

So, for someone who is new/not good at the video game, cracking less that 400 damage a game (plenty of Tier 1s struggle with this, much less new players) it's not uncommon to see them get 1 skill point every 2 or 3 games. They'll essentially being running their 'Mech with less than optimal skill builds for more than 100 games per 'Mech. I don't approve of this grind and hope that it could be changed.

#28 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 06:58 PM

View PostA Headless Chicken, on 06 June 2018 - 06:44 PM, said:

Something that hasn't been addressed here is the issue of the Skill Maze. In an average game of mine where I crack around 600+ damage, with premium time active, I get enough 'Mech exp to fill up a whopping 2 or 3 nodes on my skill maze - that is around 1600-2400 and a 2 digit amount of GXP. Amazing.

So, for someone who is new/not good at the video game, cracking less that 400 damage a game (plenty of Tier 1s struggle with this, much less new players) it's not uncommon to see them get 1 skill point every 2 or 3 games. They'll essentially being running their 'Mech with less than optimal skill builds for more than 100 games per 'Mech. I don't approve of this grind and hope that it could be changed.

Personally speaking, I tend to average enough Exp per game to open two skill points a game. My issue isn't with amount of experience earned a match, it's with having the purchase of a skill point costing C-bills as well. On my alt account, I've got a ton of mechs with no skills and in need of updating/customizing their builds (it was intended as a pure stock mech account for stock mech events, before private lobby got the stock mech selection box). I earn more experience a game than I do C-bills to purchase said skill points from said experience.

I still feel that C-bills should be removed from skill points completely. We have other things we need that for, such as build customization and new mechs. We don't need it sinking into skills as well...

Experience should be set that an average match with an average match score (which should be around 200-250 I believe) should net you at least a few skill point's worth of experience. AKA: You should be able to earn minimum a skill point's worth of experience, possibly multiple for better performances, every match.

I know back in the day, my goal they kept me playing was mastering (or rather, at least getting elite) a single mech. Back then, you needed three different variants of the same chassis to do so. It made for fun challenges, but a lot of wasted C-bills from the potential of buying and selling unwanted mechs (not to mention the mech bay shuffle). But it was a goal that had the potential of a lot of fun to get there... (I like the Skill Tree better, I just wish PGI would stop using that to balance things out, such as high crit chances for example... When they need to upgrade the reducing crit chance skill nodes... Something else is probably in need of work. Actually, the survival tree is the only tree I don't agree with as a skill tree as almost a whole... but that's me.)

I'll state now, no system will ever be perfect.

#29 TheVikingArtist

• Pip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 11:22 PM

I agree that new players could use a bit more of a bonus while they get used to the game, though maybe it doesn't need to be something super drastic.

I might offer that we have them pick a faction after the tutorial and based on which faction they pick they receive a 'mech or two in free 'mech bays. That only brings the starter total up to six which would still fill pretty quickly but that lets them have some they can call their own and earn experience on right from the start. There could even be some additional missions to get some kills with their starter 'mechs or something giving them enough cash to make another choice or two.

But barring adding any additional features I think they single greatest improvement would be on making sure the trial 'mechs are more diverse. My friend just started playing and wanted to try a lot of different roles but we found it hard to find him certain styles of builds among the trial 'mechs and when he did buy a 'mech he didn't enjoy it as much as he thought he would which lowered his morale even more. Keeping people is about making sure they don't burn out before they get the feel of the game, and making sure there is a good option for everyone among the trial 'mechs on offer is probably the best way to make sure there's some fun there until the players can purchase their own. If sorting them isn't good then at least increasing the rotation frequency would ensure they get new choices often which can speed their time to learning which ones they enjoy and making purchases.

#30 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 05:55 AM

View PostTheVikingArtist, on 06 June 2018 - 11:22 PM, said:

I agree that new players could use a bit more of a bonus while they get used to the game, though maybe it doesn't need to be something super drastic.

I might offer that we have them pick a faction after the tutorial and based on which faction they pick they receive a 'mech or two in free 'mech bays. That only brings the starter total up to six which would still fill pretty quickly but that lets them have some they can call their own and earn experience on right from the start. There could even be some additional missions to get some kills with their starter 'mechs or something giving them enough cash to make another choice or two.

But barring adding any additional features I think they single greatest improvement would be on making sure the trial 'mechs are more diverse. My friend just started playing and wanted to try a lot of different roles but we found it hard to find him certain styles of builds among the trial 'mechs and when he did buy a 'mech he didn't enjoy it as much as he thought he would which lowered his morale even more. Keeping people is about making sure they don't burn out before they get the feel of the game, and making sure there is a good option for everyone among the trial 'mechs on offer is probably the best way to make sure there's some fun there until the players can purchase their own. If sorting them isn't good then at least increasing the rotation frequency would ensure they get new choices often which can speed their time to learning which ones they enjoy and making purchases.

I will remark that the tutorial in the Academy actually grants you enough C-bills to purchase a mech. So right off the bat new players actually can get their choice of a cheap mech relatively easy. I only wish that new players would actually use these forums as the resource it is. The New Player Help forum would certainly be a great place for them to ask questions, such as what mech to buy first from their Academy earnings. (I'd recommend a Vindicator or a Crab... I know they can purchase a Vindicator right out of the Academy.)

Rotation of the trial mechs should be much faster. At least every time PGI patches, the trial mechs should rotate in my opinion. They also should be more dispersed on roles, but too many people wanted "ease of use" and "whatever was current meta" at the time, so we ended up with a bunch of mid ranged meta boats because "anything else is not optimized". New players don't need perfectly optimized, they need variety and often need tactically flexible mechs. Instead of a 5 ERML Adder (which echos a lot of other mechs), an LRM or even UAC2 Adder would have been flexible, present something different in the light class, and been friendly and easy to use. (Though the 5 ERML Adder is friendly to use relatively speaking, it's the same as most other light mechs.)

The best trial mech I feel we have in rotation is the triple AMS Nova, with the notation that "it's a little toasty" till you get at least two cool run skills (it likes at least three to four though). But it's good range, simple loadout and heavy AMS helps new players out, especially against LRMs which are prevalent in their tier.

(Sorry about the small rant. I'm been a large contributor towards better Champion mechs.)

#31 Darkstrand

• PipPipPip
  • Fanjunkare
  • Fanjunkare
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:23 AM

View PostTesunie, on 06 June 2018 - 05:46 PM, said:

*snip for brevity*

Mechbays

So if you can get them for free while ruining some FP matches as a new f2p player, why not offer them for Cbills?

I still dont understand the mentality that 4 is enough considering you need one for every single variant, it gets really silly to think about. Can you imagine having to sell mechs for what a quarter of their cost and buying a new one each time? Or how you have to spend all that time in the mechbay instead of playing? It is a neverending cycle of reuse repeat and never achieving anything until it stops becoming fun.

Payouts

The idea is to increase the gains so that you feel like you can accomplish something. The current system rewards are low, and too grindy which will inevitably result in people looking find something more f2p friendly. There are too little rewards and too many sinks.

#32 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 08:27 AM

View PostDarkstrand, on 07 June 2018 - 07:23 AM, said:

Mechbays

So if you can get them for free while ruining some FP matches as a new f2p player, why not offer them for Cbills?

I still dont understand the mentality that 4 is enough considering you need one for every single variant, it gets really silly to think about. Can you imagine having to sell mechs for what a quarter of their cost and buying a new one each time? Or how you have to spend all that time in the mechbay instead of playing? It is a neverending cycle of reuse repeat and never achieving anything until it stops becoming fun.

I'm going to mention a few things about me. I have two separate accounts for MW:O. One is as old as dirt (this one), the other one is much newer (created just before the Academy was in the game).

With that mentioned, I'll refer to my "new user" experience for each.

This account was back in the day when we still have 4 mech bays, but all trial mechs where straight up stock mechs. Rewards where even lower than they are now. Oh, and repair and rearm was also in the game. In comparison to today, I really had to work to get my first mech, carefully using stock mechs to earn my first mech (which was a Hunchback 4J, which was the trial I used and fell in love with). However, even back then, I felt like I got a mech within a reasonable time frame.

In comparison, my newer account had the privileges of the Cadet bonus, and quickly obtained two mechs within 20 matches. Earnings where increased from when my main account was created, and I found I had good progression. Overall, it was a much easier process than when my first account was created. I'll also note, I've only sand $7 for additional mechbays, but mostly for a loyalty reward (that's 4 more mechbays for the record). With only doing enough FP to earn a single Mechbay, I've managed to (through events and free giveaways), acquire a total of 22 mechbays. Minus 8 for the 4 free ones and the 4 I bought, and that means I've acquired a total of 14 free bays. (You can read more about this alt accounts "new user experience" here if you wish.)

The concept of Mechbays is to produce a limiter on a player. The limiter is designed to encourage spending a small amount of money on the game, as it may be F2P, but it is still designed to make money. At the same time, despite being a limiter, it isn't being such a hard cap that no one can work around it. Just in FP alone there are 14 easy to grab free mechbays with a little work (it's a goal to motivate people to play). A total of 28 free mechbays right there... Now don't go telling me that 18 mechbays isn't enough to work with, and getting rank 2 on a faction typically isn't all that hard. Just play scouting and you'll get it eventually. (Rank one for Mercs, FYI.)

On the note of new players "ruining" a FP match, a lost scouting match doesn't really effect all that much. Also, I would presume that a player would have had enough experience playing the game to be at 3 to 4 full mech bays already, which should be more than enough matches to know what to do so one isn't a complete wash in a match.

I must ask.. What are you implying when you say "own every single variant"? You only need one variant of any given chassis... 4 carefully selected mechs can get one set up for a full faction drop deck if one desired. Even then, I've told new players that I help "C-bills come and C-bills go. Don't be afraid to spend them." If you really hate a mech, selling it for fewer C-bills is of a minor concern.

If you are feeling "forced" to sell mechs to clear out mechbays to purchase something else... I would suggest one earn a few more mechbays via FP game mode, or spend a couple of bucks into a game you are obviously enjoying and support it for a bit. I'm of the school of thought of, "would I buy this game for this much?" If I enjoy it enough, and the answer is yes and I can afford it, I'll throw some money at the screen on a well enjoyed game. It's not like it's asking for $60+ to get a few mechbays. For $7, you can get 4 more mechbays... and if they are on sale you can get up to 8 of them. Oh, and with how often PGI runs events now, there are even more ways to earn mechbays and MC (which in turn can earn more mechbays).

Honestly speaking, I could probably (if it wasn't for nostalgia ) sell myself down to only 4 mechs on my main account (which has over 100 mechs on it), and be perfectly content. I can name the Huntsmen, Hunchback 4J, Crab 27B and Stalker 3F as the four I'd be most likely to keep. The rest all fall into "different play styles to do when I'm board" or "we need different weight for group play restrictions" (which my 50 ton mechs normally fit in fine).

View PostDarkstrand, on 07 June 2018 - 07:23 AM, said:

Payouts

The idea is to increase the gains so that you feel like you can accomplish something. The current system rewards are low, and too grindy which will inevitably result in people looking find something more f2p friendly. There are too little rewards and too many sinks.

Maybe the rewards could use a little inching up, but recall if it's too fast then players swim in the C-bills because (outside customizing and purchasing mechs), we have no actual C-bill sinks in the game. Once your mech is set up, you don't have to spend any more C-bills if you don't want to. If you enjoy playing the game, then the matches should fly by, and so will your bank account go up.

Breaking it down, a Clan medium (Huntsmen) costs about 11,000,000 C-bills (roughly speaking), and would need little work outside of that to become "optimized" (I chose a clan mech for that exact reason). It looks heafty. It would take, if you average 100,000 C-bills a match (I average 128,740.39 C-bills a match personally, globally across all my matches over the life of my account), 110 matches to get that. As most matches are around 5-10 minutes (I'm rounding it out to 8 mins), it would take about 15 hours of game play to get a new mech. For most people, that's a week or two of play, maybe a month if you really don't play all that much. (At 2 hours a day of play, it would be 7 days of play to earn a Huntsmen.)

Of course, this all excludes if you've got a C-bill boosting mech, or premium time (hint, new players have a day of free premium time). Each of which actually have been getting handed out by PGI on events rather regularly recently.

I don't believe that to be all that bad personally. You don't want players to earn mechs too quickly, or they will drown in C-bills and the game would become too easy. A game with no challenge tends to be stale and boring. AKA: A week or two to earn a new mech isn't all that bad.

I will comment, of course, all of this are our opinion, which we each are more than welcome to disagree with each other.

I do want to ask you though, what "sinks" do you see for C-bills? What would you expect to be a reasonable grinde? How quickly should one be able to purchase a new mech? A new mech a day (2 hours of play)? A new mech a week (10 hours of play)? What do you consider to be a reasonable expectation?

#33 TheVikingArtist

• Pip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 02:34 PM

Yes it is possible to buy a 'mech right out of the academy but that doesn't mean you'll be happy with your first purchase. I remember saving up for my atlas back when you had to pay for repairs so it took forever and then being displeased with it, i'm still not super happy with my atlas after trying many builds it just doesn't fit the way I like to play. This is why I argue that a bit more would be good, if you aren't happy with your first choice you get another shot.
Perhaps an alternative to that would be allowing new players during their first week or 2 to sell the 'mechs back to the store for a full refund allowing them that same opportunity if they aren't happy with their first choice or 2.
Again though the main issue is finding which play style fits you before you get discouraged with the game so ultimately trial 'mech diversity is probably the best option that could be easily implemented.

#34 TheoLu

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 73 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNapier, South Africa

Posted 13 June 2018 - 02:35 PM

Op last active on the site more than two weeks ago now. Wonder if they've even been playing.

I'm beginning to get the feeling they actually just wanted all the stuff, none of the grind, with minimal or no need to pay money for any of it.

#35 Tina Benoit

Community Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 817 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 12:12 PM

Closing this poll due to the use of insults.
This poll/thread will be re-opened once it's been edited to be written in a respectful manner

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users