Horrible

33 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Andersson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 217 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 04:03 PM

I have had around 25 matches in this new map, and I can say with certainty that it is by far the worst map in the game. All the other city maps have something that make them interesting, like open areas between the buildings or variations in topography. Solaris is just buildings and flat space, and to make matters even more uninteresting, it is symmetrical.

All the tight bottlenecks created by the buildings makes defense stronger than offense, so that the team who loses patience first and pushes through generally loses the match.

Aesthetically, though, it looks pretty good. At least in the center of the map. The outskirts look kinda rushed and unfinished.

Please, PGI, make it go away.

#2 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 23 May 2018 - 04:21 PM

While I do agree that there are limited terrain features, it's not all just one level. This really does look like a modern cityscape, albeit with elevated interstate freeways and generally wider buildings.

Those tight bottlenecks are only a problem for pushing if you push through only one of them. That's bad tactics on this map. You need to push through 2-3 areas at the same time. If the enemies aren't careful, they get flanked hard, and lose very quickly.

Also, this is firmly a brawling map. Long range weaponry does you no favors here. There is some good, and some bad to this. It's good that there is finally a map dedicated to brawling, so it gets rid of any valid arguments the "we need more brawling maps" crowd can put forward, but it does really shaft anyone not actually in a brawler. (and the IS has all the high-end brawlers)

#3 Hierarch

• PipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 05:41 PM

The fact that it doesn't have anything interesting or unique is what makes it interesting and unique.

#4 Zarock

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 111 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:10 AM

I like it a lot. Finally we have a map that balances polar. One map where you have a big disadvantage with Brawl-Loadouts and one where you have a big disadvantage with Longrange-Loadouts. Its fair.

#5 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:23 AM

View PostZarock, on 24 May 2018 - 08:10 AM, said:

I like it a lot. Finally we have a map that balances polar. One map where you have a big disadvantage with Brawl-Loadouts and one where you have a big disadvantage with Longrange-Loadouts. Its fair.

We already have multiple maps that are better for brawlers than long range... This is just one that makes long range weapons practically useless instead of just at a disadvantage.

#6 Zarock

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 111 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:08 AM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 24 May 2018 - 08:23 AM, said:

We already have multiple maps that are better for brawlers than long range... This is just one that makes long range weapons practically useless instead of just at a disadvantage.

which maps? most maps are pretty balance and you can play both, long and short range weapons. But on Polar you will have a hard time with short range wepons and long range has the advantage.
On which maps do you think one cant play long range weapons?

#7 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 12:08 PM

You need to improve your reading comprehension if "better for brawlers" is the same as "can't use long range weapons" to you.

#8 Mr Andersson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 217 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 02:02 PM

I agree that we need more brawling friendly maps. But Solaris City is not a map I want to play, regardless if I am playing a brawler build or not.

#9 Zibmo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • 488 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 04:00 PM

View PostMr Andersson, on 23 May 2018 - 04:03 PM, said:

I have had around 25 matches in this new map, and I can say with certainty that it is by far the worst map in the game. All the other city maps have something that make them interesting, like open areas between the buildings or variations in topography. Solaris is just buildings and flat space, and to make matters even more uninteresting, it is symmetrical.

All the tight bottlenecks created by the buildings makes defense stronger than offense, so that the team who loses patience first and pushes through generally loses the match.

Aesthetically, though, it looks pretty good. At least in the center of the map. The outskirts look kinda rushed and unfinished.

Please, PGI, make it go away.

I would say it's the first map where durability, and therefor tonnage, is pretty much the only thing that matters. The team with tonnage almost always wins. There is very little room for speed - all it does is trap you faster.

I detest the map.

[edit] Oh, and PGI seems to be doubling down on the "not seeing **** is more fun."

Edited by Zibmo, 24 May 2018 - 04:02 PM.

#10 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:09 PM

View PostZibmo, on 24 May 2018 - 04:00 PM, said:

I detest the map.

I don't. I will not vote for it, but I don't mind playing it. It is enormously better than River Citadel or Crimson Tunnel.

#11 Alan Hicks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 414 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 11:19 PM

The worst map used to be Viridian Bog, now is Solaris City. Horrible to get matches there. Win or lose, it is always displeasing, a mess and most strategies fail on it.

NEVER, ever select it. I can't believe some people still choose it.

I get disgusted every time I'm forced to play it, the map looks good, but that is all it offers.

#12 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 18 October 2018 - 02:08 AM

Solaris City has the Look of a bad builded Model railway City ...to small ways (Hey ..is a Metropole City ?! ...) with nothing sense placed freeways and Magnet-railways ...who the free Avenues , the free big places ...the Old MW4 maps Big and inner city was good designed , this map ist crap ..its a mazetrap with many impassable Buildings like the Hills and Mountains in many Maps ...PGI love it to make Maps who the most of the Terrain is not useable and have a impassable mazestyle

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 10 February 2019 - 05:34 AM.

#13 cyclist1994

• PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:55 PM

Do partially agree.
The railroads are silly.
But i really like the idea of a city map.
I'd prefer a chessboard building layout, but this one is fine for me :-))

#14 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:02 PM

I like the map
lots of flanking opportunities

#15 Cichol Balor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 354 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 07:34 AM

the map designed isn't bad would be nice if it was scaled up a bit larger and if the fixed the technical issues

#16 Kynesis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 09 February 2019 - 11:16 PM

Solaris City is absolute shite.
It's simultaneously dark, gaudy, bland and frustrating - and those are its positive qualities - I know you're trying to go for a 'futuristic city at night' look, but those black & neon monoliths are awful!

There's no room for tactics; Comebacks are impossible outside organised teams and the 'snowball' effect of regular games is cranked up to 11 as teammates are frequently stuck taking a roundabout voyage if they fail to guess how fights (with zero visibility of the field and frequently close-quarters combat) are likely to progress.

There are a range of critical technical issues, mostly about poor performance, confusing and unnecessary choke points.
Team mates are forever getting stuck on things and each other, bumping through tight spaces, shooting each other accidentally in efforts to do _something_ before they're randomly picked off after one side happens to be unluckier and lose a couple more people than the other or find the opposition has accidentally wandered into an exposed flank.

Edited by Kynesis, 10 February 2019 - 04:17 AM.

#17 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 10 February 2019 - 05:40 AM

examples for future Citys or Modern Towns with Place for Moving
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 10 February 2019 - 05:44 AM.

#18 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:22 PM

Posted Image

#19 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 04:25 PM

Hahahaha haha...... Sorry, have people NOT played Polar Highlands or Alpine Peaks?

#20 Vincefeld

• PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 01 May 2021 - 11:37 PM

I just want to ban this map and never see it again. Why i have to suffer on it? This single map makes me want to quit otherwise fun game

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users