'Cause necroposting topics,
is 'gainst the TOS!

#22 Lord451

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 July 2021 - 02:06 PM

Since there aren't any posts that weren't started a year or more ago, I'm gonna pitch my two cents here.

I love Solaris. There's elevation to be surprising, and lots of what MWO lacks. Close in city fighting. That's an area of warfare that is CONSTANTLY talked about in the books and games, and of our SIXTEEN maps, we have ONE city map. The others are just open fields with a smattering of buildings at the edge. They're basically the same as any other mostly open map. I'd actually love to get another city map or two because it's such a game changer when you can't have half your team sit at the edges lobbing LRMs and lasers at sniping ranges for half the map.

#23 Expfighter

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 September 2021 - 05:00 PM

Solaris City is the Worst map in MWO bar none! LRM's are just fing USELESS in every since of the word on this map!

I agree with Others, HORRIBLE HORRIBLE map!

#24 Snoopy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 107 posts
  • LocationAlmost there ...

Posted 15 July 2022 - 06:57 AM

As long as we do not know which map we will play on, each map should suport more than one playstyle. We are dropping blind and do not know what map will be in the rotation or selected. IMO a big mistake in game design and lore wise. We don't know what planet we are attacking / defending?

Solaris is a extreme and makes several weapon systems useless or at least not worth the investment in tonnage and dmg/heat per time. This is leading to frustation.

Edited by Snoopy, 15 July 2022 - 06:57 AM.

#25 JPeiper

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 12:04 PM

View PostSnoopy, on 15 July 2022 - 06:57 AM, said:

As long as we do not know which map we will play on, each map should suport more than one playstyle. We are dropping blind and do not know what map will be in the rotation or selected. IMO a big mistake in game design and lore wise. We don't know what planet we are attacking / defending?

Solaris is a extreme and makes several weapon systems useless or at least not worth the investment in tonnage and dmg/heat per time. This is leading to frustation.

Thx Snoopy, you saved me 5 mins of typing!!- Damm right. But I'd also say that Hellbore springs has the same problems ,the only difference is mud not brick. At risk of being (justifiably) hated, I now quit out and make coffee if I land on these maps.

#26 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 13 August 2022 - 03:31 PM

I don't see what's so bad with this map, You just need to realize the center area is not a good place to stay in, sure it does tend to favor shorter range builds but you can still use long range, also realize that even if it's not the most efficent all weapons outside of PPCs and IS LRMs will work at any range, learn to use UAv's and the verticality of the map to scout around before you walk into things, I'm surprized that fighting typically takes place in the center though instead of teams using tactics and waiting to lure the enemy into the outer city.... I think the biggest problem is peoples static plans on most maps always revolving around the same basic push the same basic area, people really need to be more flexible and use terrain to their advantage instead of letting the terrain control their movements. Now Domniation and INcursion are sadly the exception to this due to the fixed positions...which honestly make these two modes kinda boring and almost repetitive.

learn to use long range weapons at mid range... all weapons are always viable the only exceptions are the ppc's with 90m range ATMs and LRms.

Edited by KursedVixen, 13 August 2022 - 03:30 PM.

#27 Snoopy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 107 posts
  • LocationAlmost there ...

Posted 16 August 2022 - 05:04 AM

View PostKursedVixen, on 13 August 2022 - 03:31 PM, said:

learn to use long range weapons at mid range... all weapons are always viable the only exceptions are the ppc's with 90m range ATMs and LRms.

Either I didn't state this clearly or you don't seem to understand my argument. Maybe we have a misunderstanding between useable and viable. They are useable, but not viable.

Definition : viable
"the proposed investment was economically viable"
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/de/worterbuch/englisch/viable

Investing in long range weapons on a short range map doesn't make sense.

There was tonnage & space put into weapons and equipment, which is not optimal. DPS, cooldown, burntime, lock-on time... everything is not suitable for this map and speaking against you. It automatically makes you perform worse than your opponent (with a suitable equipment). Conversely, this also counts for melee weapons on a long-range map.

IMHO you can learn some things (e.g. dumb fire LRM to shortcut time), but you can't learn to better DPS / cooldown / HPS. This decision was already made in the MechLab.

Weapons with a high burn time, lock-on time, flight time are not viable in an environment with extreme cover (Solaris) and only very short windows to fire. Not unusable, but unviable.

#28 JPeiper

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 August 2022 - 06:46 AM

View PostZarock, on 24 May 2018 - 08:10 AM, said:

I like it a lot. Finally we have a map that balances polar. One map where you have a big disadvantage with Brawl-Loadouts and one where you have a big disadvantage with Longrange-Loadouts. Its fair.
....I take your point about balancing polar, but on the new polar map you can brawl in the center. However, it's only "fair" if I can choose not to play it, and I can't. Solaris and Hellebour are the only maps that prohibit mid or long range weapons by making them useless to use, like the old polar that was almost flat and open. All maps should be made so all systems and mechs can be used, and they are ,apart from these Two. I run the usual AC10 /LPL build and am forced into brawling with the usual quick death -what about the poor guy with LRMs or PPC'S ? But, for the last few months I just quit and get a coffee...

#29 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,713 posts

Posted 23 August 2022 - 09:38 AM

View PostJPeiper, on 23 August 2022 - 06:46 AM, said:

....I take your point about balancing polar, but on the new polar map you can brawl in the center. However, it's only "fair" if I can choose not to play it, and I can't. Solaris and Hellebour are the only maps that prohibit mid or long range weapons by making them useless to use, like the old polar that was almost flat and open. All maps should be made so all systems and mechs can be used, and they are ,apart from these Two. I run the usual AC10 /LPL build and am forced into brawling with the usual quick death -what about the poor guy with LRMs or PPC'S ? But, for the last few months I just quit and get a coffee...

Tha player's last forums visit was four years ago.

#30 Widowmaker1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 16 February 2023 - 05:22 AM

I also absolutely detest this map. Biggest issue is the excessively cramped corridors with ramps rising out of them, which are actually too narrow for many of the wider mechs to fit through just by themselves.

It likely doesnt help that i dont enjoy brawling as a playstyle at all (im not patient enough for it, cant stand hanging around during the early parts of the match not getting dmg in), so i never bring brawler builds - the closest it ever gets is a 2 LPL 6 MPL Blood Asp i like to run. Maps should cater to more than one playstyle imo, and this one doesnt. (Alpine is just as bad for this issue, just favouring sniper builds instead of brawler)

#31 H4RDCA5E

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 February 2023 - 09:31 AM

This. We can see what you try to do here guys. This is the dumbest way to force players to play more just to get to know the most pop maps, and this is not the only dumb trick of yours. Not showing otherwise absolutely crucial stats and telemetry is for the same reason. The three things you guys accomplish here are; 1) robbing yourselves of proper and accurate community feedback. 2) add layers upon layers of frustration. 3) killing the ambition of guys who would play more and on higher level than average - which in return could promote the game much further than your pr/marketing team ever could

Edited by H4RDCA5E, 17 February 2023 - 09:32 AM.

#32 Kynesis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 09 March 2023 - 11:36 PM

It's been a while since I last said anything about this map. I'd like to just take a minute to repeat how incredibly atrocious this map is. It's design is shockingly incompetent for all the reasons that everyone here has already complained about.
I honestly don't know if it's possible to make a map that's more impractical and simultaneously infuriating... and we've got a bunch of extremely, infamously bad maps. Not just 'bad' anecdotally but literally at a technical level, with distances, areas, spaces and heights that make playing on them difficult in ways that are not constructive (eg spaces just fractionally too small to get a mech through or doodads everywhere that constantly jam and catch our mechs), ungainly, awkward and generally annoying.

I know that there's no point criticizing anything about MWO anymore, I just hope that in the unlikely event that map makers or prospective map makers of other games happen to look in here, they learn some lessons about how _not_ to create maps.
MWO's maps generally are terrible! By far the worst that I've seen in any game over forty-ish years.

#33 Vincefeld

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 01 November 2023 - 04:08 AM

its still horrible, made me take 2 year from game and now i remember why i took it

#34 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 01 November 2023 - 04:26 PM

I find it odd how people complain about this map, and Alpine, when I've never had any problems with them I personally dislie maruk stadium , The brickyard 5000,(Caustic vally, Caustic fuckup) and the new terra dummas (Terra therma and crucible)

GET GOOD SCRUBS!

Edited by KursedVixen, 01 November 2023 - 04:26 PM.

#35 Vincefeld

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 06 April 2024 - 01:07 PM

Only map that makes me go suicide against enemy in first minute of game and find another ACTUALLY FUN map to play next round.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users