Sales ! Generosity Or Cash Flow Issues ?

49 replies to this topic

#1 Racerxintegra2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 801 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 04:10 AM

I don't ever remember this many sales consecutively. When i first started playing MWO they had 1 mechbay sale a year and hero's maybe twice a year. There seems to be a perpetual sale going on now. They've also been extremely generous with free mechs/bays/MC etc. Seems like a clothing store going out of business having flash sales.

#2 Haipyng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 593 posts
  • LocationIn Transit

Posted 30 May 2018 - 05:01 AM

View PostRacerxintegra2k, on 30 May 2018 - 04:10 AM, said:

I don't ever remember this many sales consecutively. When i first started playing MWO they had 1 mechbay sale a year and hero's maybe twice a year. There seems to be a perpetual sale going on now. They've also been extremely generous with free mechs/bays/MC etc. Seems like a clothing store going out of business having flash sales.

I haven't noticed a particular uptick in sales. They always had pretty frequent sales 30-40% off, etc.

#3 D34DMetal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 134 posts
  • Locationin a Mad Cat duh...

Posted 30 May 2018 - 05:11 AM

Same, I don't remember them pulling sales for weeks/months on end. I wouldn't be surprised if they are having cash flow issues.

#4 Luminis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 May 2018 - 05:14 AM

Might as well be an attempt to retain new players coming in from Battletech. Cheaper Mechs = better new player experience.

#5 Vanguard836

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,101 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON

Posted 30 May 2018 - 05:22 AM

Sales are common and considering that they include c-bill cost as well I wouldn’t see it as a “we need money desperately “ attemp more so than a “here ya go, sale for you folks!” Thing.

#6 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 06:03 AM

I think it has far more to do with helping out newer players.. Also the simple fact that most of the sale items are also items that have been out years.. Sales are also in the 30%-40% range, verse 50% of old.

They used to do sales at least 6 times a year easy, every couple of months there was a sale.. doesn't seam much different now except i see C-bill sales a bit more often.

#7 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 06:27 AM

Yeah we've really had enormous amount of sales in row. Immediate death of MWO predicted, news at 11.

On completely unrelated note though, there's some Fallout 5 vibe in the air. As well as on Bethesdas twitch. I think I would really struggle to play much of MWO when the Fallout 5 is to be released, probably later this year by the looks of trailer.

Edited by Teer Kerensky, 30 May 2018 - 06:27 AM.

#8 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 30 May 2018 - 06:27 AM

View PostLuminis, on 30 May 2018 - 05:14 AM, said:

Might as well be an attempt to retain new players coming in from Battletech. Cheaper Mechs = better new player experience.

That's a fair point. There are a lot more newer players now than I've seen recently. Giving them chances to get into the game cheaper is probably a very good idea. Half price mech bays on sale twice in a short time is probably a part of this, as are the MC and mech pack sales.

#9 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 30 May 2018 - 06:48 AM

@Teer: Why on Earth would there be yet another Fallout game so soon after four? You are aware there hasn't been a new Elder Scrolls since 2011?

Edited by Spheroid, 30 May 2018 - 08:22 AM.

#10 Racerxintegra2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 801 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 07:32 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 30 May 2018 - 06:48 AM, said:

@Teer: Why on Earth would there be yet another Fallout game so soon after four? You are aware there hasn't been a new Eldar Scrolls since 2011?

What do you mean you could have purchased Skyrim like 7 times since then.

#11 Shadowomega1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 987 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 07:53 AM

Well It could be that they are going for a boost in cash for MW5, and to fortify up their War Chest against HG if it does go to court not the preliminary stuff going on now.

Also Fallout 76 confirmed aka Fallout 5, sounds like it is going to be set in or around West Virginia/Virginia area in 2106.

#12 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 08:46 AM

The production costs on the stuff they have on sale have most likely been covered many times over, so why wouldn't they reduce the price to sell more?

There's essentially 0% expense in these things now and selling them at a reduced price simply makes money.

I wish they'd figured that out with colors years ago.

#13 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:30 AM

I think its a retention think. Look at the current sale. Most of these are the oldest mechs and also present in Battletech. By the end of June the Battletech craze will be over. People will still be playing obviously, but most folks who were all "screw MWO, I'm gonna drop it forever and go play Battletech when it launches!" will be coming back around then. Its still pretty slow until then though so they gotta tryo to carrot some of us back here sooner.

#14 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:41 AM

Definitely think it's more to do with wanting to get as much as they can from new players. They know new players probably won't stick around as long or be the whales that established players can be. But they can be enticed by what seems like a good deal. Especially the mechbay sale. Combined with the extra MC. You can net a lot of mechbays for only $15. That can set you up for a good while for playing the game free. Plus the C-bill sales make it easier on new players who are looking to get their first mechs. And if they already have filled bays, well, here's a convenient mechbay sale.

Edited by MechaBattler, 30 May 2018 - 10:45 AM.

#15 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:47 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 30 May 2018 - 06:48 AM, said:

@Teer: Why on Earth would there be yet another Fallout game so soon after four? You are aware there hasn't been a new Elder Scrolls since 2011?

Because people are still buying Skyrim ports for your smart fridge and TES Online bombed.

Hammerfell and the Great Marsh are both likely but those environments would be hard to pull off (Skyrim didn't even really nail it tbh) so it is gonna take a long while for that.

#16 Stridercal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 260 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:52 AM

View PostTeer Kerensky, on 30 May 2018 - 06:27 AM, said:

Yeah we've really had enormous amount of sales in row. Immediate death of MWO predicted, news at 11.

On completely unrelated note though, there's some Fallout 5 vibe in the air. As well as on Bethesdas twitch. I think I would really struggle to play much of MWO when the Fallout 5 is to be released, probably later this year by the looks of trailer.

The news says Fallout Online. Nope, hard pass.

#17 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,705 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:55 AM

I am not a wha!e.
However I am rather rotund.

#18 Pain G0D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-ko
  • Sho-ko
  • 617 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:03 AM

My theory is they had very profitable couple months and they want to milk that cow for as long as possible .

Why not ? It makes sense .

Consider all the freebees since Xmas . When i get free stuff , i want to reciprocate . I doubt i am the only person who thinks that way .

Edited by Pain G0D, 30 May 2018 - 11:07 AM.

#19 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:08 AM

Why look a gift horse in the mouth?

Take advantage of the sales, play new mechs, and heaven forbid - try something new instead of the same mechs all the time.

#20 Mechwarrior1441491

• 1,157 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:34 AM

Start of summer sale is a good idea. They have to fight to keep the attention of gamers on this game as more people are out doing things IRL due to better weather.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users