159 replies to this topic

#41 Navid A1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 31 May 2018 - 09:28 AM

[color=#1C1C1C]PSR system in its current form is not a good metric to use for determining player skill. It needs to be replaced by something similar to average match score.[/color]
Player skill rating must be a dynamic metric. The median point of the player average match score distribution should determine the average level. This way, there won't be an upward bias towards T1 at all times. even if every single player plays at top tier comp level, using a dynamic metric ensures that the players are still going to be distributed into 5 different Tiers.
the thresholds in which Tiers are determined can then be tweaked.

Edited by Navid A1, 31 May 2018 - 09:36 AM.

#42 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 09:39 AM

View PostUnit 86, on 31 May 2018 - 02:14 AM, said:

Those changes are totally working. The game outcome is totally not decided in the first 20 seconds where 3 people always die before any actual combat begins.

There are no changes to player skill levels, so the changes are doing precisely what they intend to- you will merely get the same incapable players faster now, meaning more stomps sooner.

PSR being untouched, the piles of relatively poor MWO players let into the T3+ gates remain ready and available to potato mashings.

Edit: This is a good step in terms of quickly improving match start times, but the massive positive bias of the current PSR system means short of a reset and reboot, it will do almost nothing for your team's competency if you were T2 or less, and minimal amounts for T1.

Edited by Brain Cancer, 31 May 2018 - 09:41 AM.

#43 BWS2K

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 31 May 2018 - 10:46 AM

This seems good but it's Paul - it's a trap. It's always a trap with him. Might not even actually be him. Could be Tina using his account to troll. I bet we're going to find out that the MatchMaker just forces the team with the most lasers to win or something. SHOW US YOUR BIRTH CERTIFICATE 'PAUL'!

#beepboopmasterlevel

#44 kapusta11

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 11:33 AM

Ugh, can we just have 8v8 back? 1/3 less people means 33% faster queue times. Also less firepower on the field, longer TTK, can even ditch 3/3/3/3 weight class restriction, or replace it with even tonnage for both teams rule.

#45 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 31 May 2018 - 02:59 PM

Matches were better when classes were evenly distributed.

I dont want to say keeping t1 away from t4 is a good change, it wasnt supposed to be like that to begin with.

Good MM changes happens every 6 months, they last a month at best. I still hope for the best. MWO2 should be priority soon or fixes will always be temporary.

#46 Geewiz 27

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 96 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 03:55 PM

So far so good in my opinion. Had lots of good drops in Tier 1 Solo queue last night with less stomps and more close games then usual. So fingers crossed I think this has had a positive effect on the MM and quality of matches.

#47 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:25 PM

Wow, tanks Paul!

This is a good change and i am very excited to see it. Thanks again.

#48 Marius Evander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:38 PM

Sounds good, just need to get all the N.A. providers to use the Southern Pipeline through NZ not the Asia pipeline through SG to Australia Posted Image good luck with that international internet body

#49 Mister Maf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:41 PM

Seems like a good step in the right direction. Thanks for the update.

#50 FallGuy0815

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 152 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:41 PM

I looked for information about the changes to the matchmaker all over the place just two or three hours before this post was created and did not find any. So today i came home and did not check all the forum again, but just looked if you twittered anything new. As there was no news there I tuned in to NGNGTV asking Phil/Daeron if there was anything about this topic (10 hours after the post - yes bad timing, different timezone). Made quite a fool out of myself, as one can imagine.

Still, seeing that changes to the matchmaker MIGHT have an even larger impact to the game (in solo QP) than minor weapons adjustments - could you link it on the front page under "latest news" if there are others like me struck by selective blindness?

I clearly appreciate the shorter wait times, but i miss some people i almost regularly dropped with (and began to like) lately. Maybe due to completely unrelated reasons though - time will tell. In general games were tighter, yes, but the stomps i took part in (on both sides) were even more ridiculous than before imho. Maybe the end of the current sale driving the people crazy had an impact.

TL;DR: Seems very good so far, very well done sir! Can you put up such (potentially) big changes on the front page though or if you make an announcement on twitter and later give more details here make another twitter post with a corresponding link?

#51 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:16 PM

Would it be easier to just add a check in each match if there is a discrepancy in tier matchings and then have it send the match ID to a dump file?

#52 KodiakGW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:48 PM

Still broken. Just had 2 games in a row same guy in a KGC-000 on my team that can't break 100 damage.
Ended 10:32pm EST
Ended 10:46PM EST

So where can we send the screen shots?

#53 BWS2K

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:58 PM

Yeah, I haven't noticed any difference in the matches I've just played. Saw and teamed with Brios, which is always a pleasure, but in terms of the results it still felt a little off. Whatevs. *shrug*

#54 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:11 PM

View PostKodiakGW, on 31 May 2018 - 06:48 PM, said:

Still broken. Just had 2 games in a row same guy in a KGC-000 on my team that can't break 100 damage.
Ended 10:32pm EST
Ended 10:46PM EST

So where can we send the screen shots?

Why would the changes do anything in that regard?

Tier means nothing regarding skill. Thanks to the current system, there is a generous number of people who can only be described as "target practice" in every tier, with the only difference is the ones closer to T1 have generally had more sub-100 damage games than the ones in T4.

Working as intended.

#55 XV25

• PipPip
  • The Unstoppable
  • The Unstoppable
  • 22 posts
  • LocationStalingrad

Posted 31 May 2018 - 09:27 PM

PGI top worker of the year!
Thank you for it.
But we have a one little request. Reduce the timer in solaris to 1 min back.

#56 kapusta11

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 01:22 AM

It's not matching tier 1 players with tier 4 or 3 ones that is the problem, it's tiers themselves.

I have 1.5 and 2.0 W/L and K/D ratios respectively yet the game makes no distinction between me and someone who has 5+ W/L and K/D ratios, the likes of Proton and Bows3r and there are tons of people like me who don't belong in tier 1. Basically, all people who can pull their weight are lumped together and we have 4 tiers for those who don't, it's bananas, it should be the other way around.

Edited by kapusta11, 01 June 2018 - 01:25 AM.

#57 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 01 June 2018 - 03:50 AM

View Postkapusta11, on 01 June 2018 - 01:22 AM, said:

It's not matching tier 1 players with tier 4 or 3 ones that is the problem, it's tiers themselves.

I have 1.5 and 2.0 W/L and K/D ratios respectively yet the game makes no distinction between me and someone who has 5+ W/L and K/D ratios, the likes of Proton and Bows3r and there are tons of people like me who don't belong in tier 1. Basically, all people who can pull their weight are lumped together and we have 4 tiers for those who don't, it's bananas, it should be the other way around.

Realistically with stats like those, you are in the top 5-10%. So you will always see players like Proton/Bows etc.

The population isn't large enough to filter those players out "evenly".

However (and the point of my post back on page 2)

If you did not have below average players in your games (or at least, reduced change of...) on either side and by that I mean players with a AMS of 170 - then the skill would actually be evened out. Ok granted it would not be perfect but it would be a hell of a lot better than it is now. Which is really not that great at all.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 01 June 2018 - 03:53 AM.

#58 Temporary Axis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 116 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 03:56 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 01 June 2018 - 03:50 AM, said:

Realistically with stats like those, you are in the top 5-10%. So you will always see players like Proton/Bows etc.

If you did not have below average players in your games (or at least, reduced change of...) on either side and by that I mean players with a AMS of 170 - then the skill would actually be evened out. Ok granted it would not be perfect but it would be a hell of a lot better than it is now. Which is really not that great at all.

BUT MUH SEALS!!!!!!!!!!

#59 ForceUser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 894 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 04:41 AM

You are in fact in the top 5% of players based on match score. you are facing the right kind of people.

You are in fact in the top 5% of players based on match score. you are facing the right kind of people.

#60 kapusta11

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 04:46 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 01 June 2018 - 03:50 AM, said:

We have just one tier for people who can pull their weight between 1 and 5+ times and 4 tiers for those who can't do it even once, that's ridiculous. When top 20% have so much impact on the outcome of the game they are the ones that should be split into tiers depending on their performance, not the homogenous 80%.

And if there's not enough people to do proper matchmaking bring back 8v8. Making the game terrible for everyone is not the answer. Matchmaker in its current state doesn't achieve its goals, it just can't, it's a giant waste of everyone's time. It can be disabled completely and no one will notice, it will be just as bad.

View PostForceUser, on 01 June 2018 - 04:41 AM, said:

No I'm not facing the right people. If there are 6 tier 1 players in queue: proton, bowser, heimdelight and 3 people like me (or even worse) the game can put the former 3 on one team and the latter 3 on the other.

Edited by kapusta11, 01 June 2018 - 04:55 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users