#1 BrunoSSace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 1,032 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:29 PM

So been thinking, man I really enjoy my Archer and my Catapult. On my archer I have my 2 Lrm 15's with Artemis and 5 medium lasor. I have my own tag and bap and I get my own locks, give others locks and I call prime targets. My Catapult is fit nearly exactly the same way but with only 3 medium lasors instead.

It does not worry me when I get pushed in my Archer, since I have armor and 5 medium lazors to go threw the head or ct in a few alphas. I don't hang back, I push like a LRMer possessed. My goal is to have both weapons fire in ernest. So 350m is my sweat spot.

Tell you the truth, I have never boated just LRMs. The idea sounds silly to me. Why start a fight if you cant defend yourself? Funny thing is I will push those LRMer's and kill them with mine. Oh how sweat the irony.

So moral of this story is, bring back up weapons and not hug the back of the map. You give good Lrmer pilots a bad name. Bruno O/

#2 BurningDesire

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:35 PM

[Redacted]

Edited by draiocht, 01 June 2018 - 02:33 AM.
unconstructive, posts removed

#3 ANOM O MECH

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 993 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 09:14 PM

Nope not at all.

You also seem to be pretty team focused and what you describe is not the anti-social behaviour that irks folks.

Keep in mind though that they are still not great and it is a really good idea to play all of the weapons to get a good grasp on them. I absolutely hate rac's more than lurms but I do have a mech with them and play it from time to time.

In my opinion trying to play every weight class and role really helps you grow as a player.

Oh and also you chose pretty sensible mechs to run lurms on. Both quirked for it and much better than the guy putting them on an Atlas.

#4 Aurien Titus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 315 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 09:53 PM

View PostBrunoSSace, on 31 May 2018 - 08:29 PM, said:

So been thinking, man I really enjoy my Archer and my Catapult. On my archer I have my 2 Lrm 15's with Artemis and 5 medium lasor. I have my own tag and bap and I get my own locks, give others locks and I call prime targets. My Catapult is fit nearly exactly the same way but with only 3 medium lasors instead.

It does not worry me when I get pushed in my Archer, since I have armor and 5 medium lazors to go threw the head or ct in a few alphas. I don't hang back, I push like a LRMer possessed. My goal is to have both weapons fire in ernest. So 350m is my sweat spot.

Tell you the truth, I have never boated just LRMs. The idea sounds silly to me. Why start a fight if you cant defend yourself? Funny thing is I will push those LRMer's and kill them with mine. Oh how sweat the irony.

So moral of this story is, bring back up weapons and not hug the back of the map. You give good Lrmer pilots a bad name. Bruno O/

Absolutely not, and from the sounds of it you're doing it right. Artemis, unless I'm miss informed, only give a bonus with line of sight. So you might as well pack that TAG, plus then you can lock 'mechs protected by ECM. LRM's are a favorite of mine Posted Image

This is my favorite LRM boat, the STK-3H. Now you'll get a heat penalty if you don't stagger between right and left side, but it can put up 50 missiles at once if you make sure to open the missile bay doors before you launch. It can rack up kills, assists, and damage.

Edited by Aurien Titus, 31 May 2018 - 09:54 PM.

#5 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 31 May 2018 - 10:25 PM

@ BrunoSSace --- Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't think it's wrong to Like LRMs. They're part of the BattleTech Weapon Ecosystem, and frankly I think PGI has left them still a tad on the weak side. They're supposed to be both useful to help Your Team during a push, as well as good for Flanking and Killing Opponents before Your Team has to deal with them in the first place. To me, they need at least 50 Meters more of Baseline Range, and at least a 2% (maybe 4% max) Baseline Spread Narrowing from where they stand now. :huh:

@ Thread Topic --- I'm gonna be right up front with this... Does anyone here have some tips on the maximum amount of LRM Ammo to carry if you're going to be up there Front-Lining with your Mech? The recommendation I usually hear (and particularly from people like Baradul, just for example... He's a good guy, from what I can tell...) is "1 Ton LRM Ammo per every 5 LRM Missile Tubes", but it doesn't seem to be working out. I've tried stepping up front, but I get focused down just as soon as I dare poke my head up (and so freaking fast), such that I'm backing off (or DEAD and unable to help the team) before I can do anything. It's become metaphorically burned into my brain to remain as a Second-Line Support all round long when I'm operating as LRM Support, actively forcing me to depend on others sharing Locking Info in order to be of use. Frankly, the only thing driving me to use LRMs at all currently is people repeatedly jumping right into my line of fire AFTER my having pulled the trigger with Direct Fire Weapons, and causing me to Team Kill them. So I end up wanting to use an Indirect Fire Weapon that will go over and past them at the enemy, preventing the unwanted Team Damage that plagues me when I use Direct Fire Weaponry. And in case you're wondering, I keep trying to actively have a clear line of fire at the enemy when I use Direct Fire Weapons, as I don't assume my firing line will always be clear without regard to where I sit! :mellow:

As for this...

View PostAurien Titus, on 31 May 2018 - 09:53 PM, said:

This is my favorite LRM boat, the STK-3H. Now you'll get a heat penalty if you don't stagger between right and left side, but it can put up 50 missiles at once if you make sure to open the missile bay doors before you launch. It can rack up kills, assists, and damage.

You might want to sacrifice 1 Ton of LRM Ammo (or something else) to add CASE in order to protect your LRM Ammo stores, as well as your STD Engine. Right now, your design looks like an easy Ammo Crit Kill. :(

~D. V. "May already be doing the best I can, but I'm trying to make sure... Can't forget CASE in Loadout, though..." Devnull

[One Big Edit by Post Author at the top to Answer The Opening Poster about the Starting Question.]

Edited by D V Devnull, 31 May 2018 - 10:45 PM.

#6 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,841 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:59 AM

mrms and atms have completely obsoleted lerms for me. i used to keep 2 or 3 lerm boats in my inventory and maybe 4 or 5 mixed builds with lrms (and im somewhere around 114 mechs now, so needless to say not a majority). but they are all atm/mrm boats now, and the mixed builds have either had the missiles replaced with atms/mrms or have been reworked with new ballistics reducing their tube counts a lot (and those tubes also switched to atm/mrm). a few is missile boats are now is streak boats, even though i really dont run them.

Edited by LordNothing, 01 June 2018 - 01:01 AM.

#7 Burke IV

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 02:58 AM

Smaller lanchers use ammo faster so 1 ton per 5 tubes is about right for multiple lanchers. 2x LRM15 might do perfectly well with 2-4 tons but 6xLRM5 is perhaps going to want 6 tons or more.

Im going to leave my old stalker builds here cause that 3H looks abit suspect to me Posted Image no offense.

Stalker

Stalker

Stalker

I dont know if they are any better, give them a try. Have to be honest i think squirting LRM5s is yesterdays news anyway but IS are better than clan or so i heard

Edited by Burke IV, 01 June 2018 - 03:00 AM.

#8 BurningDesire

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 03:48 AM

[Redacted]

Edited by draiocht, 01 June 2018 - 02:45 PM.
discussing moderation

#9 MTier Slayed Up

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 717 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 05:04 AM

Hell, if you're playing it that way, go for it, rock the LRMs. I just hate the boaters that sit in the back expecting locks when they're in a supernova or something silly.

#10 Spare Parts Bin

• Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 01 June 2018 - 05:12 AM

I have seen LRMs change the enemy's battle plan if done right. 2-3 LRM boats can be nasty. But you will be hunted by lights and fast moving heavies think Linebackers.

#11 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 01 June 2018 - 05:26 AM

I have 70 mechs or so and 3 with lurms.

Catapult 2lrm15a 2streak2 2medpulses,
Archer 2lrm15 4srm4
Highlander IIc 1lrm15a 1lrm20a 2uac10

Riding most of the time on the front line and each have good backup weapons and less than 1000 lrm ammo. Doing good with them in quickplay.

#12 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 05:46 AM

OP, LRM's are part of the combined arms concept..... The meta community has issues with them because good missile platforms can and do complicate closing with the enemy and brawling: which, is what they know and want....

Perfect it, refine it and if supported by a few fellow IDF pilots, missiles can and will interrupt the enemies plans to farm you....

And, as an added bonus, it really frustrates brawling FPS pilots; especially, when done well... If IDF helps with retention of any player, that is a bonus....

#13 Cnaiur

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 05:54 AM

You do you boo. At least you’re playing with aggression and getting your own locks. Of course, if you’re able to play that way with lurms, you’d perform even better playing that way with direct fire weapons assuming you can aim at all. Because lurms are kind of crap. But if you gotta lurm, you’re at least doing it right.

#14 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 01 June 2018 - 05:54 AM

People don't like LRM's on their team because a bad LRM user is less helpful to the team than a bad laser vomit player. A bad LRM player sits in the back, does very little damage (200-300 damage in an assault, for example) and contributes zero armor to help on the front line. A bad laser vomit player, for example, might do the same damage, but actually share armor and draw some fire on the front lines, helping his team survive longer.

A good player messing around with LRM's will stay at ~500 meters or so, firing at enemies he marks with a TAG or NARC, effectively drawing some attention and helping to share some armor. So it's possible to be a decent player and use LRM's to some effect, it's just not as easy as it looks. They just are usually not as effective against other good players, because there are so many hard counters to them, so most good players don't take them.

I bought a few LRM boats myself in this last round of sales, so I'll be out there potatoing it up a bit this next month as well. Just remember to carry LOTS of ammo, only fire at targets that are in the open that you can see or someone else has called for fire on (I usually say to tell me if you want LRM's at the start of a match, otherwise I'll find my own targets) to ensure you're not just wasting shots. A dumb LRM user sitting 1000 meters away from a battle firing at a light mech the second someone else targets it, then complaining about the team not holding locks, is annoying as hell. Remember if the team holds a lock, it means they're staring at that enemy, so they are effectively face tanking it for you.

#15 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 06:01 AM

Play what you want. If you're asking is it optimal for grinding cbills and getting kills, thr answer is no because LRMs having locking time, spread damage, and travel slowly will allow your intended victim to shoot you and avoid your shots. That's a disadvantage impossible to overcome.

#16 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 01 June 2018 - 06:06 AM

They are one of the least effective weapons in the game, but this is....well...a game, so

#17 Composite Armour

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 201 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 06:17 AM

Yes.

#18 Lt Blackthorn

• PipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 57 posts