Is It Wrong That I Like Lrms?

52 replies to this topic

#41 Chados

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 02 June 2018 - 04:37 AM

View PostBrunoSSace, on 31 May 2018 - 08:29 PM, said:

So been thinking, man I really enjoy my Archer and my Catapult. On my archer I have my 2 Lrm 15's with Artemis and 5 medium lasor. I have my own tag and bap and I get my own locks, give others locks and I call prime targets. My Catapult is fit nearly exactly the same way but with only 3 medium lasors instead.

It does not worry me when I get pushed in my Archer, since I have armor and 5 medium lazors to go threw the head or ct in a few alphas. I don't hang back, I push like a LRMer possessed. My goal is to have both weapons fire in ernest. So 350m is my sweat spot.

Tell you the truth, I have never boated just LRMs. The idea sounds silly to me. Why start a fight if you cant defend yourself? Funny thing is I will push those LRMer's and kill them with mine. Oh how sweat the irony.

So moral of this story is, bring back up weapons and not hug the back of the map. You give good Lrmer pilots a bad name. Bruno O/

No. This is how you LRM properly. Boating=cowardice. Push in to secondary range and the LRMboat folds like a cheap suit at a dime-store laundromat.

Edited by Chados, 02 June 2018 - 04:39 AM.

#42 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,705 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 02 June 2018 - 06:07 AM

It's a old screenshot, but this is how you use a lurm boat.
As a finisher sometimes they just never see it coming.
And remember don't be a shmoe get up front.
Make em feel bad for getting whacked by a lurm boat.
Posted Image

View PostChados, on 02 June 2018 - 04:37 AM, said:

No. This is how you LRM properly. Boating=cowardice. Push in to secondary range and the LRMboat folds like a cheap suit at a dime-store laundromat.

Hah tell that to my Stalker next time ya see her.

#43 Spare Parts Bin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 02 June 2018 - 04:51 PM

Stalkers are tough. I love to fight them with a 60-75 ton Clan. Mech or Omnimech. Sometimes I bag the Stalker other times the Stalker gets me.

#44 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 05:02 PM

The way you play is how it should be played and the game should encourage that kind of LRM play. But instead people would rather sit back. Pad their vote multiplier to get an easy LRM farm on Polar Highlands.

I've been saying it for the longest time. They should change mechanics to encourage people to be in line of sight when using LRMs. Perhaps a tighter spread, faster velocity, quicker lock. Whatever. But the game shouldn't reward you for piggybacking off other people's locks imo.

Edited by MechaBattler, 02 June 2018 - 05:03 PM.

#45 Mr Steinbrenner

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 73 posts
  • LocationFreo

Posted 02 June 2018 - 05:06 PM

Just try mrms or atms, usually way more useful, but good lrm cover is always handy

Edited by Mr Steinbrenner, 02 June 2018 - 05:14 PM.

#46 Rollup

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 01:34 AM

https://mwomercs.com...carrier-1000dmg

#47 Kroete

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 04:13 AM

View PostMechaBattler, on 02 June 2018 - 05:02 PM, said:

The way you play is how it should be played and the game should encourage that kind of LRM play. But instead people would rather sit back. Pad their vote multiplier to get an easy LRM farm on Polar Highlands.

I've been saying it for the longest time. They should change mechanics to encourage people to be in line of sight when using LRMs. Perhaps a tighter spread, faster velocity, quicker lock. Whatever. But the game shouldn't reward you for piggybacking off other people's locks imo.

You mean artemis, that was nerfed some patches ago?

Together with the arc nerf, that reduced trickshots a lot and forced you to stay futher away do get your missiles over obstacles (you now need to go back (sometimes) after you droped a uav to hit your enemys), it seems that pgi want lrm-user to stand back and dont get their own locks.

And we still have no ams on trials ...

Edited by Kroete, 03 June 2018 - 04:14 AM.

#48 Quandoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 220 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 05:42 AM

441 dmg is pretty bad if you refer to yourself in that pic above.
Works only in QP against rookies who are to scared to push you.
On top, most players will skip AMS for a heatink / ammo but skill full armor tree. AMS is worth more than the whole armor tree....

Edited by Quandoo, 03 June 2018 - 05:48 AM.

#49 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 07:40 AM

this post makes me want to log in and play my catapult. Posted Image

there is nothing a brawler likes more in a tight corridor than LRM's raining down on your target. The funny thing is, on a good push on the new Solaris map, LRM's are actually a good thing. instead of 3-4 mechs behind you not being able to shoot, the LRM guy can bring the rain..

LRM guys are also a great mech to lead a push around a corner, Grab your own lock, swing wide and let the brawlers push by as you took a couple alpha's and let your enemies heat up. You shared your armor and now your brawlers are fresh..

But hey that takes teamwork.. sadly not something you see much in QP these days.

Edited by JC Daxion, 03 June 2018 - 07:44 AM.

#50 Brain Cancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 08:42 AM

View PostRollup, on 03 June 2018 - 01:34 AM, said:

You did notice that was from over three years ago, right?

#51 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 11:05 AM

If lrmboats on average played the way a lot of you claim you do they wouldn't inspire such vitriol.

The real deal is, only a few of the spud cannon champions from brown sea I've encountered in the wild all play like they claim they do.

The rest of them tend to be that pilot that hides in an assault. Then they cry because you "left them behind."

I've seen one of the major proponents in a few FP matches, and there have been times where that dude won't even come out of spawn when a defense isn't going so well. This wasn't even a stomp against a coordinated group. We were running an 8 man against a 6 man. Would have been a lot closer if 3 of the other players on our team actually moved up to take some fire.

#52 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 06:09 PM

I pilot my Hunchback 4J or Catapult C4. Hunchback has four MLs, two LRM10s, and a TAG so it does great in the 250m-350m range The Catapult has two LRM15s, two SSRM6s, and a TAG so it does best 200m-300m. I can fairly reliably put up good numbers with them, especially the Catapult as many lights will charge in and not notice that the TAG lets me tear them to pieces fairly easily. Direct line of sight firing < 500m away from the enemy with some backups you can activate in an emergency is a decent combination as a fire support mech.

The obvious downside is that you can't bring all of the firepower at once as some other mechs of their size but you can shoot over your allies which is a huge advantage with some of the fast clan mechs we have running around, too big to shoot over but too fast to easily avoid friendly fire without severely minimizing your damage output. They do really well when an enemy is being circled by something like a Huntsman. On top of that the torso rock does effect some of the bigger guys who carry autocannons, gauss, and PPCs. Occassionally that torso rock will save your ally from a big hit from one of those weapon groups.

I like to these two builds because my hand shakes a bit and it makes it hard to play with PPCs and gauss so if I want to play something other than a brawler or an ERLL nuisance I don't have too many options.

#53 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 04 June 2018 - 04:51 AM

View PostKroete, on 03 June 2018 - 04:13 AM, said:

And we still have no ams on trials ...

That's NOT 100% true. Have you looked at the "Nova NVA-S(C)"??? :huh:

~D. V. "Really wondering if you checked at all..." Devnull

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users