#1 Grotonomus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 367 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMorningside, Pandora OA, Tamar March, Lyran Space, Federated Commonwealth

Posted 23 December 2011 - 05:58 PM

Hello Mechwarriors,

I've been in various gaming Guilds and Clans with independent websites, but I have never created or managed one before. I am open to any suggestions or help involving website creation or hosting services. I've already started with posting my unit on both the Mechwarrior Wiki and the MWO Wiki. I am a veteran of the Table Top, Mechwarriors 2-4, Mektek & Megamek but I unfortunately have never had to create a website.

Again any help is appreciated.

Many Thanks,
Arden

#2 swamp hag

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Participant
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 06:43 PM

Guildportal or Enjin are probably your best bet if you have no web experience. They look sharp enough, and are easy enough to set up by yourself - also, they're secure and backed by a company so you don't have to worry about that either.

Edited by glory, 23 December 2011 - 06:43 PM.

#3 TyR

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 23 December 2011 - 07:06 PM

I am not sure if you are looking into spending money on this or if you are wanting to start learning how to build pages. If you don't mind spending some cash and want a hosting service that gives you a lot of tools that don't require you to really write code then you might want to look into Square Space. If you want to go with them you can say you listen to/watch shows on the TWiT.tv network and I think it saves 10% off the lifetime unless the promotion changed (http://www.squarespace.com/twit and use offer code TWiT then do the right thing and at least check out one of the shows on there at http://twit.tv). Anyway that would be my suggestion if you are wanting to go the hosted route and still have a lot of customization ability with tools to do it. I know a lot of the clan or guild hosted sites often look pretty similar, so this would be a way to help differentiate yours while not having to know HTML or javascript. I have not actually used this company myself, but I have heard nothing but good things about it.

#4 Grotonomus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 367 posts
  • LocationMorningside, Pandora OA, Tamar March, Lyran Space, Federated Commonwealth

Posted 24 December 2011 - 10:58 AM

So far I've started to use Enjin. They do not have any Mechwarrior Online page designs yet.....not suprised though, but it seems to be going well. I've already created a recruitment questionnaire and set up the banner. Link to the Unit site is in my Signature. Any ideas or suggestions are always appreciated.

#5 Seth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 785 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 11:01 AM

That looks like a really good foundation for a unit website.

#6 Demi-Precentor Konev

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 386 posts
  • LocationDnepropetrovsk, Galedon Military District

Posted 24 December 2011 - 01:24 PM

View PostArden Sortek, on 24 December 2011 - 10:58 AM, said:

So far I've started to use Enjin. They do not have any Mechwarrior Online page designs yet.....not suprised though, but it seems to be going well. I've already created a recruitment questionnaire and set up the banner. Link to the Unit site is in my Signature. Any ideas or suggestions are always appreciated.

I like it. If I ever get around to starting a Merc unit I'll probably use Enjin as well. Any complaints so far or do they seem like a decent place?

#7 Grotonomus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 367 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 02:50 PM

View Postlahyenne, on 24 December 2011 - 01:24 PM, said:

I like it. If I ever get around to starting a Merc unit I'll probably use Enjin as well. Any complaints so far or do they seem like a decent place?

I have no complaints as of yet. They are very good for a novice like me. Most of the things come pre-made and they also have a system of how to videos set up that have saved me lots of swearing and scratching of the head. I'm just hoping they get some MWO page designs going at some point. The questionnaire for the recruitment page was super easy to set up, as was the Banner.

#8 Seth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 785 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 03:57 PM

I bet it's not terribly hard to add a different background and to edit the colors a bit.

#9 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 24 December 2011 - 04:16 PM

I'd warn people to be careful about copyrights.

#10 Grotonomus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 367 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 04:37 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 24 December 2011 - 04:16 PM, said:

I'd warn people to be careful about copyrights.

In what manner are you referring? Your sentence seems to have come out of left field for me.

#11 Grotonomus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 367 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 04:39 PM

View PostSeth, on 24 December 2011 - 03:57 PM, said:

I bet it's not terribly hard to add a different background and to edit the colors a bit.

I've just started to mess with that part. It is a little more time consuming but I like the options I'm seeing so far.

#12 Threat Doc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 24 December 2011 - 05:23 PM

I agree with others, It's lookin' pretty good. Nice colors, not too bright or dark. I went over your recruitment questionnaire, and I think you've managed to capture things pretty well. Even if many of the elements are automatically placed, it seems you're a natural, kid. :)

#13 Grotonomus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 367 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 06:20 PM

Thanks Kay I appreciate the community support! It's nice to see us Battletech peoples stick together!
....................Even if that community includes Dirty Snake Heads and those treacherous Marik Turkeys :)

#14 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 07:29 PM

Oh, you mean some of my potential future benevolent employers? Tee-hee. Oh, and yours, LOL?

#15 swamp hag

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Participant
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 07:35 PM

Lookin good! And good luck with your team - nice to see another Celt-themed unit besides NWH for once. Back in NBT4 we had a pirate unit called Fianna Eireann. Totally get it. ;)

Edited by glory, 24 December 2011 - 07:38 PM.

#16 Grotonomus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 367 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 09:16 PM

View PostKay Wolf, on 24 December 2011 - 07:29 PM, said:

Oh, you mean some of my potential future benevolent employers? Tee-hee. Oh, and yours, LOL?

Yeah, gotta be wary of those contract details. A good Merc is also a good lawyer ;)

View Postglory, on 24 December 2011 - 07:35 PM, said:

Lookin good! And good luck with your team - nice to see another Celt-themed unit besides NWH for once. Back in NBT4 we had a pirate unit called Fianna Eireann. Totally get it. ;)

Thanks Glory! Gonna give respect to Fianna Eireann-"Warriors of Ireland". Always had a soft spot for Gaeilge my Grandfather had a pretty heavy accent.

#17 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 10:02 PM

View PostArden Sortek, on 24 December 2011 - 09:16 PM, said:

Yeah, gotta be wary of those contract details. A good Merc is also a good lawyer ;)
A good mercenary commander needs to have his eye on the ball or, in this case, all five of them. You can't see everything, nor can you see all the time, but you can catch up, hehe. It's not so much about being a good lawyer, alone, but knowing how contracts work, knowing what money is good and what's not, when to push for more and when to let it go, feeling confident enough about your unit to praise them almost to the point of arrogance, while also realizing the true limitations you have.

See, good MechWarriors and good Commanders push the red line as far and as fast as it will go, while the best know when to step back, remove your hand from the head of the opposition pushing against you, and let them fall to the floor.

#18 SoulReaver DA

• PipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 73 posts
  • LocationOlympia Washington

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:01 AM

I never made a website before now either. I stumbled upon Enjin before this post was out. Take a look at my site and you'll see it's very clean, was easy to make, and am very pleased with the user friendly oiptions it provides. oh and it isnt loaded with adds!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users