Kind Of Torn....

48 replies to this topic

#41 Ssamout

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • LocationPihalla

Posted 06 June 2018 - 07:13 AM

View PostAsym, on 06 June 2018 - 06:36 AM, said:

... .. .. ..... .. ..... .. ....... .. ... ... ... ...

If you dont get it, you dont get it. You sound like an old fart that doesnt understand stuff, but has learned to act like you do.

Real sports require courage??? Really?? And you are not full of yourself?

#42 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 06 June 2018 - 07:34 AM

View PostXetelian, on 06 June 2018 - 03:31 AM, said:

Would it make sense for the Tour de France or Giro d'Italia to suddenly demand that every entrant race with a Penny-farthing? Sure it would be different and certainly have some entertainment value but what does it do to the overall sport?

Or having boxing done bare knuckle and no TKOs.

Or having NASCAR ran with Stanley Steamers.

This would certainly change things, it would certainly make things interesting to some degree but what are we giving up to do this?

See you are now entering into logical discussion territory.

All you will get as a response is "It will be interesting" because there is actually no reply to what you are saying which is exactly what is happening here.

#43 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 11:40 AM

You can always look at any purchase in a game as a vote of confidence. However in reality NOT spending money isn't tracked or recorded. With fluctuation in population it would be sketchy to try and, say, attempt to equate less (or more) buys on the Tournament Supporter Package with approval or disapproval of the stock mode decision.

As so.eone who's been deeply frustrated by PGIs lack of investment if FW I often have the same thoughts - do I refuse to buy mech packs? Money isn't a big concern for me but by the same token I don't want to spend money on MWO if I'm pissed over game development decisions.

In the end I decided to just buy stuff I feel is worth it and not try to portray my purchases or lack of it as a vote for it against PGI decisions but instead "is this worth the money to me". "Do I want this".

Opinion of MWOWC aside, do you think you'll enjoy having what's in the package? Is it worth the cost to you? Will you enjoy the content? You want to express your opinion to PGI do it on Twitter or the Announcement thread. Don't skip something you will enjoy to have to make a statement that isn't going to get heard.

#44 Asym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 01:13 PM

View PostSsamout, on 06 June 2018 - 07:13 AM, said:

If you dont get it, you dont get it. You sound like an old fart that doesnt understand stuff, but has learned to act like you do.

Real sports require courage??? Really?? And you are not full of yourself?

Oh yes, I know what I've accomplished in the real world lad and have the broken bones and missing body parts to prove it.

Old fart? I guess, I am older; but, I train every week to be as good as I can be at the age I am.... You fight as you train; and, that means yomping 80 lbs rucks is the norm....week in and week out... On the range every other week. More, if they ever start a senior Boieslager or ranger challenge like we've been asking for the past 10 years... You are soooo funny....

I do wish you well in the championships ! Everyone needs to be good at something; even a silly game... Good hunting.

#45 S O L A I S

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 390 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:12 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 06 June 2018 - 11:40 AM, said:

You can always look at any purchase in a game as a vote of confidence. However in reality NOT spending money isn't tracked or recorded. With fluctuation in population it would be sketchy to try and, say, attempt to equate less (or more) buys on the Tournament Supporter Package with approval or disapproval of the stock mode decision.

As so.eone who's been deeply frustrated by PGIs lack of investment if FW I often have the same thoughts - do I refuse to buy mech packs? Money isn't a big concern for me but by the same token I don't want to spend money on MWO if I'm pissed over game development decisions.

In the end I decided to just buy stuff I feel is worth it and not try to portray my purchases or lack of it as a vote for it against PGI decisions but instead "is this worth the money to me". "Do I want this".

Opinion of MWOWC aside, do you think you'll enjoy having what's in the package? Is it worth the cost to you? Will you enjoy the content? You want to express your opinion to PGI do it on Twitter or the Announcement thread. Don't skip something you will enjoy to have to make a statement that isn't going to get heard.

I enjoyed last years championship a great deal. Was supposed to be there in person but wasn't recovered enough from a medical procedure.

Am also not inclined to believe PGI gives a damn or cares what I do. They only appear to react to people cancelling mech packs en masse. Also have zero energy to start any kind of protest and I was interested in others opinions.

Like the guy on here already who said that with 3g's in I really have done my part already. As well this late in the product cycle combined with this stock load out business after we get new tech....

Most of the guys I know have already bought the package and I love warhorns, it is a pretty good value and all. So yeah I do kind of want it even if just for warhorns. Not going to though and not going to bother going to mechcon either as a big part of why I'd go is to watch the finals.

Also won't do twitter or facebook or anything like that, it just isn't anything that I am interested in and certainly wouldn't create one to communicate with Russ. It's ok that I won't be heard, they clearly have, as you said, not heard the CW community for a very long time now, no matter what we have tried. The sparse population there speaks loud enough.

#46 S O L A I S

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 390 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:02 PM

View PostAsym, on 06 June 2018 - 06:36 AM, said:

Don't understand Lad? Oh, please, this is a silly game with made up physics and everything else that matters....understanding takes about 10 minutes and since there is seriously nothing special going on here, we have an extremely small niche market....

It's suppose to be fun ! So, it's simple....

It's like watching professional baseball, golf or football as well......boring as hell....the same rules, the same playing map, same old same old... Oh, Gosh, Golf.......(sigh) Commentator: "quiet on the tee box please..." as if the viewing audience could be heard..........geesh....

But there is an important difference: It takes real courage and real skill to play those boring sports... Real, like outside the house, out of the basement and actually dressed in real clothing in the sun real..... Dangerously real...

Geesh, you kids are so full of yourselves...

I have experienced a lot of dangerous stuff in real life. Not a veteran, so will say that clearly as to make sure it is understood that, there is no inference or alluding read into that as I have a great deal of respect for those folks.

Played hockey as well and was a goaltender. Played at a level where 90-100mp/h slapshots were a thing. Some may call that brave, but not I. Many, many years of practice made those shots just part of the game. Especially since it was my job to intentionally put myself in front of them so that they'd hit me.

As far as understanding the game in 10 minutes? Well, then if we go back to my experiences hockey is pretty straight forward and simple right? Doing it well however requires a great deal of practice and constant learning. In Canada, hockey camp in summer is a real thing we do.

This game has a lot in common with hockey. You can figure out how to run around and shoot things in the first game. Mech lab is straight forward enough that I could slap together a mech very easily, but we've all seen the things new and well 'others' do to their mechs. Surely even you the great defender of all potatos must at times see stuff and just shake your head. Like hockey however playing it and playing it well are worlds and worlds apart.

So full of myself? Perhaps so as I have invested thousands of hours into this to become very average at best. And I look forward to see guys (some of them I know) that are really good push the limits of this game.

Can that happen with stock loadouts? For some perhaps, but as the comp guys have said, there is a big timesink involved in composition and mech building. This change to me represents the killing of a lot of what I am geeked over. Choices will be much more limited and nothing special is going to be born of it. Uac Dragon as the easy example here. From someone I know who was there for it all, the build and it's use were sussed out and worked on for quite a while. The engine choice, amount of ammo and things like this interest me. To some it was just any old Dragon and nothing special, but to others it was fascinating and a good deal of people must have felt similar as they are still running around in numbers six months later.

Guess it could come down to if you are a Formula One or NASCAR fan. One sport pushes the limits of technology and machine, while the other is almost archaic in nature (have they even switched to fuel injection in NASCAR yet???). I don't know anybody who is a fan of both (although I am sure they exist). So while this may turn out to be an excellent decision by PGI, the timing especially since the release of new tech is disheartening to me.

Edited by S O L A I S, 06 June 2018 - 10:05 PM.

#47 Asym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 04:43 AM

A lot us us are "torn".... We've played the MW Video games since inception. Many of us really like "mechanized vehicle" games because we were playing Tank simulators (SIMNET/COFT) years before the first MW video game ! Talk about geeking out....there were divorces because of these tools!

I agree with a lot of what you say...especially the geek'd out part. The real rub for those of us that have left MWO full-time and only play 'now and again"; is, what we expect isn't comp..... Comp became an alien fascination; comp became so skewed to one side of game play, many didn't even recognized the game itself. In fact, when I demo'd MWO to our players union last year, the comp semi-finals were shown in-part and a live QP match was then demo'd.......trying to recruit new players from the hundreds that play every day at school !!! The prevalent comment was" "was that the same game?" and, they like QP a lot more !!! The over riding comment was that "it was more fun to watch...."

No one was recruited last year sadly. But, the reaction is important.... These kids are competitive LoL, Overwatch, WoW, etc. gamers and spend a lot of time playing games (even, the board and card games I still don't quite understand yet?) They rejected comp play as boring and accepted QP as more exciting......as a group. There's a marketing message in there....

eSports is a huge industry and those that are good at it have the IP that is exciting enough to capture today's generations of gamers. MWO is decades old and lacks the visual and play excitement because it is based and looks "military". The PU also rejected WoT, ***, most of the military FPS's and the only "military esk game" accepted was WoWs..... They like the slower pace, visuals and that there wasn't a hard connection to the Navy.....I'm not a single one of those PU kids know how many ships the US navy has nor could they identify a DD from a CV.....but, those ships sure could zoom around the ocean and fight other ships at break-neck speeds... Car games were very popular as well....

Stock builds is an attempt to draw back in those of us that reject meta and comp. It won't work. It angers everyone now !!!

Thanks for the reply and good luck this season ! PS: we are a hockey family as well..... Can't tell you the thousands of miles and trips to and from tournaments across the US.... Sigh.....

#48 Ssamout

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • LocationPihalla

Posted 07 June 2018 - 05:57 AM

View PostAsym, on 07 June 2018 - 04:43 AM, said:

The real rub for those of us that have left MWO full-time and only play 'now and again"; is, what we expect isn't comp..... Comp became an alien fascination; comp became so skewed to one side of game play, many didn't even recognized the game itself. In fact, when I demo'd MWO to our players union last year, the comp semi-finals were shown in-part and a live QP match was then demo'd.......trying to recruit new players from the hundreds that play every day at school !!! The prevalent comment was" "was that the same game?" and, they like QP a lot more !!! The over riding comment was that "it was more fun to watch...."

Perhaps they didn't like the competition matches because, they don't understand the game at all and thus don't get what they are seeing. The fact that when watching a comp match viewed from above with the spec tool, you rarely see the big picture thats on radar. For a newb the cockpit view tells so much more, and is more familiar from fps/car/etc games.

To watch the game through spectator mode, you have to know a lot about the mechanics to enjoy, about the maps and powerpositions etc.. that doesn't convey through by just watching. We would need professional casters that really focus on their job to really help viewers to understand what they are seeing. Rare are the matches where casters manage to really explain whats happening. I would hazard to guess that even a lot of veteran MWO players have hard time watching games through spec mode to see what's happening.

Also people who have not fought or even skrimmed with top level comp teams have hard time grasping the level of game play that the best teams can present. Kinda when someone is really good at what they do, they make it look so easy..

Stock builds is an attempt to draw back in those of us that reject meta and comp. It won't work. It angers everyone now !!!

This attitude always baffels me; "reject meta". Sounds like purposefully stat tanking if you know what is good and best choice for a given situation and then choosing something that is not that. Next answer gonna be "but I just play for fun", like people who try to do their team a service and work hard to win matches are something to be frown upon. "Damn those who ruin my fun by trying to win these matches"..

I get that people want to drive what mechs they like and that is their right to do. I like to use all kinds of pinpoint mechs from ac's and uac's to gauss and ppcs because I like the excitement that comes from hitting or missing a critical shot. A lot of the mechs I run are not meta mechs, but if I can't contribute to the team winning in said mech, after a match or two I'm gonna ditch the build/mech or tweak it so that I can be of some use.

#49 S O L A I S

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 390 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 07 June 2018 - 11:38 AM

A lot us us are "torn".... We've played the MW Video games since inception. Many of us really like "mechanized vehicle" games because we were playing Tank simulators (SIMNET/COFT) years before the first MW video game ! Talk about geeking out....there were divorces because of these tools!

I agree with a lot of what you say...especially the geek'd out part. The real rub for those of us that have left MWO full-time and only play 'now and again"; is, what we expect isn't comp..... Comp became an alien fascination; comp became so skewed to one side of game play, many didn't even recognized the game itself. In fact, when I demo'd MWO to our players union last year, the comp semi-finals were shown in-part and a live QP match was then demo'd.......trying to recruit new players from the hundreds that play every day at school !!! The prevalent comment was" "was that the same game?" and, they like QP a lot more !!! The over riding comment was that "it was more fun to watch...."

No one was recruited last year sadly. But, the reaction is important.... These kids are competitive LoL, Overwatch, WoW, etc. gamers and spend a lot of time playing games (even, the board and card games I still don't quite understand yet?) They rejected comp play as boring and accepted QP as more exciting......as a group. There's a marketing message in there....

eSports is a huge industry and those that are good at it have the IP that is exciting enough to capture today's generations of gamers. MWO is decades old and lacks the visual and play excitement because it is based and looks "military". The PU also rejected WoT, ***, most of the military FPS's and the only "military esk game" accepted was WoWs..... They like the slower pace, visuals and that there wasn't a hard connection to the Navy.....I'm not a single one of those PU kids know how many ships the US navy has nor could they identify a DD from a CV.....but, those ships sure could zoom around the ocean and fight other ships at break-neck speeds... Car games were very popular as well....

Thanks for the reply and good luck this season ! PS: we are a hockey family as well..... Can't tell you the thousands of miles and trips to and from tournaments across the US.... Sigh.....

Yeah, goalie equipment... 1500$ for a pair of pads.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users