Chassis For Ultimate Lrm Boating

34 replies to this topic

#21 Talus Luhn

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:41 PM

The Nightstar hero, Wolf Phoenix, is fun with 2 LRM 20 + artemis and 4 medium pulse lasers.

#22 Brain Cancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:53 PM

The Cougar with LRMs is tolerable, since you generally want to be hiding with the big guys anyway and LRMs at least let you fire past them effectively enough while you put your ECM to work. It's not like you're zipping around fast enough to avoid enough fire.

Also, the Orion IIC definitely can LRM. You'll still see people occasionally just dumping 70 or so tubes on one and just bombing folks, even without any real LRM-positive quirkage.

Edited by Brain Cancer, 07 June 2018 - 12:55 PM.

#23 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 07 June 2018 - 11:09 PM

If you want an amazing LRM boat, use any chassis that can mount LRM50 or higher..

Here are some examples of the best mixed (LRM and Lasers) and dedicated (LRM and some small backup weapons) LRM boats:

Mixed: Mauler, Archer, Highlander, Cyclops, Blood Asp, DireWolf, Stalker, Trebuche, Hunchback

Dedicated: Supernova, Awesome, MadCat II, Highlander IIC, SunSpider, Mad Dog, Timberwolf, Hunchback IIC, Arctic Wolf, Orion IIC

Heroes: Scorch, Spirit Bear, Rancor, Mean baby,

Edited by Vellron2005, 07 June 2018 - 11:09 PM.

#24 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 10:47 AM

The Holy Trinity of lurmboating is velocity quirks, cooldown quirks, and heat quirks (in that order, spread reduction is also nice but vanishingly rare). Clanners can and do make up for that with sheer volume of tubes, though the Mad Dog/Vulture is able to get most of that together on one set of pods.

The Nova Cat-B is surprisingly good as a missile boat if you don't go over the top with too many tubes. For LRMs, LRM 50+, slap lasers into the high torso mounts and it can generate a near constant barrage of fire all game long. Of course, you can always choose more tubes, I just found this a nice mix. (LRM 60 with dual ERML and a full active probe also works, or the all-in-no-lasers total lurmchuckers)

https://mwo.smurfy-n...8f5f4c8e6770ac8

Edited by Brain Cancer, 08 June 2018 - 10:48 AM.

#25 Kokytus

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 05:02 PM

I'm using a Stalker-3FB as a tier 3 pilot and I've been having at least okay results - positive win ratio, positive K/D ratio, average of 453 damage per match over ~40 matches, with a range from about 100 at the lowest to about 1100 at the highest. My build is 4x ER Small Laser, TAG, Guardian ECM, BAP, and 2x LRM20 with about 1550 missiles packed away, I think it's 6 tons of ammo. Skills build is still only halfway done but I focused on sensors first for the range & the decay upgrades, and then the weapons tree for all velocity skills, ammo racks, reduced missile spread, and crit damage.

There's so much AMS out there, I am a big believer in group-firing large IS launchers as the optimal LRM platform - They all fly in a clump, so the AMS only gets a tiny bit of time to be active before the missiles land, and thus most of them will make it to the target. The ECM enhances the tendency of people to ignore enemy LRM boats (no laser lines pointing the way to your persecutor) and gives you the edge in LRM vs LRM fights. The BAP speeds up target acquisition when you don't have LoS for your TAG. The 4x ERSLasers are enough to pick off components after the armor is peeled away and to discourage lights from getting too cocky. Overall it seems a functional build for the tier, though it probably wouldn't work so well at T1 or in CW.

#26 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 11:28 PM

View PostKokytus, on 08 June 2018 - 05:02 PM, said:

The BAP speeds up target acquisition when you don't have LoS for your TAG. The 4x ERSLasers are enough to pick off components after the armor is peeled away and to discourage lights from getting too cocky. Overall it seems a functional build for the tier, though it probably wouldn't work so well at T1 or in CW.

Actually, BAP does nothing for speeding up target locks. All it does is speed up how quickly you get the damage "paperdoll" schematic on a targeted unit. (And targeting computers are the same way, plus they don't work on missile weapons anyway). It'll also counter ECM within a small distance, but that's also usually your minimum range for IS LRMs.

Artemis, NARC, TAG. Those are what do good things for your launchers.

#27 Cloves

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 561 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 05:44 AM

Yes the active probe is worth it on mixed builds and very agressive players, the beagle is much harder to justify.

#28 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:39 AM

View PostBrain Cancer, on 08 June 2018 - 10:47 AM, said:

The Holy Trinity of lurmboating is velocity quirks, cooldown quirks, and heat quirks (in that order, spread reduction is also nice but vanishingly rare).

You forgot about the most important skills.. RANGE.

Invest heavily into range.. I usually do that first on a LRM boat - range, velocity, sensors, survival - in that order..

Without those range quirks, you are stuck with a 900 meter range, and trust me, it does matter...

#29 JadeLight

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:20 AM

Cougar is the best LRM boat. 1500 missiles, 2x LRM 20 and only 35 tons.

#30 Sekkishi

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:41 AM

Best LRM boat is Adder. If you gonna LRM do not use Assault because those ppl stay far back and just spam LRMs on targets behind cover. At end of game they have 150 dmg. If you use Adder with 2x LRM20 then not that much tonnage will be wasted. It saddens me when I do 1000 dmg in my Bushwacker and then look at score and see I did more dmg then all assaults together...

#31 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 05:25 AM

best Lurmboat is the one you DON'T take. :P

that being said, the trenchbucket is a decent lurmer, and from time to time my archer with 2x 20s in almost stock is my guilty pleasure (I love me some lore, this game could use some more).
but again.. prefer to shoot somebody dead, instead of hitting them with a garden hose. ;)

#32 MTier Slayed Up

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 717 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 05:30 AM

Three easy steps to LURMing your way to victory!

1. First, go to your home tab and click "Inventory".

2. Second, scroll your inventory, and highlight any of the ones that have "LRM" in it. Doesn't matter if it's 5 or 20, because the next step is most important to success.

3. Sell the LRMs for cash money big boy dollas. Buy yourself a lollipop, a UAC and a big honkin lazor for all your mechy needs.

Bonus step - Profit $$$$$$$$$$$$$. Yeah booooooi!

#33 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 08:02 AM

My best is Warhawk B. Cyplocs might be close, but I don't think I've run the latter seriously as LRM boat.

#34 LordBraxton

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 08:22 AM

Grab the thanatos with the +20 side torso quirks and put ALRM15s or 20s in those big torsos

#35 Akillius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 484 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:58 AM

Perhaps the OP would like to try popfly-lurming?
For that there is the dual LRM5 + small laser +ECM +max engine Commando!
With its speed you can run towards enemy fire lurms and run right up shoot it in face with laser before missiles even hit.
https://mwo.smurfy-n...8d577da5ebf54ab

Suggest extensive practicing in training ground map of your choice to get the hang of it first. :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users