15 replies to this topic

#1 WILL WORK FOR HEATSINKS

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 14 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn my pants - I mean, my cockpit

Posted 05 June 2018 - 12:45 PM

A long time ago in a world where there was no fun as decreed by the rule of PIG, a group of (moderately priced) mercenaries WORKed together to bring you an Ode to Old Flamers

#2 Zigmund Freud

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 01:12 PM

Oh, beautiful flamers. Remind me, why do we have these lame jets now? Can't we have nice things?

#3 Brain Cancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 02:40 PM

Flamers should have been actual shots, similar to how they looked in MW3 but not in function, as the things could melt targets to slag via mega overheat.

#4 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 06:08 PM

i love the smell of napalm in the morning.

#5 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 05 June 2018 - 07:19 PM

View PostZigmund Freud, on 05 June 2018 - 01:12 PM, said:

Oh, beautiful flamers. Remind me, why do we have these lame jets now? Can't we have nice things?

Cause the old Flamer graphics were blinding to the players and even worse for their opponents.

#6 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:34 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 05 June 2018 - 07:19 PM, said:

Cause the old Flamer graphics were blinding to the players and even worse for their opponents.

The entire flamer concept is whack. Flamers shouldn't be super creme brulee torches, but actual heat guns, that fire a short range projectile that heats up what they hit.

You can then ghost heat, cooldown, etc. them reasonably rather than the whacko system we have now.

#7 Pardo Kerensky

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 66 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 02:12 AM

are you people still playing?
I thought you all quit

#8 Pain G0D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-ko
  • Sho-ko
  • 617 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 05:50 AM

View PostWILL WORK FOR HEATSINKS, on 05 June 2018 - 12:45 PM, said:

A long time ago in a world where there was no fun as decreed by the rule of PIG, a group of (moderately priced) mercenaries WORKed together to bring you an Ode to Old Flamers

Wow this is the most intelligent troll thread I have ever encountered

A giant robot that can function quite comfortably on a lava planet , that can withstand multiple laser beams before exploding........... yet you somehow imagine a giant flame thrower to burn hotter ?

Congrats . You are not a nerd .

Edited by Pain G0D, 06 June 2018 - 06:14 AM.

#9 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 04:02 PM

View PostPain G0D, on 06 June 2018 - 05:50 AM, said:

Wow this is the most intelligent troll thread I have ever encountered

A giant robot that can function quite comfortably on a lava planet , that can withstand multiple laser beams before exploding........... yet you somehow imagine a giant flame thrower to burn hotter ?

Congrats . You are not a nerd .

You're in a robot that can be taken down by shooting machine guns at it and having your heat exchangers bathed in superheated plasma courtesy of flamer fire. Yeah, it's hot enough.

#10 Popcat

• PipPipPip
  • The Shogun
  • The Shogun
  • 74 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:27 PM

Needed to be accompanied by Scooter - Fire.

El Bandito wasn't blinding people kind of a perk?

Edited by Popcat, 06 June 2018 - 08:28 PM.

#11 WILL WORK FOR HEATSINKS

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:44 PM

View PostPardo Kerensky, on 06 June 2018 - 02:12 AM, said:

are you people still playing?
I thought you all quit

We're still around! We come and go but some of us did take an extended leave

View PostPopcat, on 06 June 2018 - 08:27 PM, said:

Needed to be accompanied by Scooter - Fire.

El Bandito wasn't blinding people kind of a perk?

It was the best of perks!
But it's not that bad really, if you can lock on a person you can still 'see' roughly where they are, it does however help obfuscate shots against specific components a little which really helped

#12 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 07 June 2018 - 01:01 PM

Uhhh, Whilst I do miss the old flamers, you weren't abusing them as well as you could've. Shortly after releasing this video showcasing how to abuse flamers as part of my light tanking initiative, the flamers were 'reworked' and the infinite flamer exploit was removed.

Basically though, you wanted to chain fire however many pairs of flamers you had to constantly reset the heat bar. Hence the new persistent bar we've currently got. I do terribly miss the visuals though.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 07 June 2018 - 01:13 PM.

#13 WILL WORK FOR HEATSINKS

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 05:24 AM

View PostLeone, on 07 June 2018 - 01:01 PM, said:

Uhhh, Whilst I do miss the old flamers, you weren't abusing them as well as you could've. Shortly after releasing this video showcasing how to abuse flamers as part of my light tanking initiative, the flamers were 'reworked' and the infinite flamer exploit was removed.

Basically though, you wanted to chain fire however many pairs of flamers you had to constantly reset the heat bar. Hence the new persistent bar we've currently got. I do terribly miss the visuals though.

~Leone.

Ah, yes the good old flamer exploit!
We knew about it but it’s not very fun to use it like that, didn’t really want to just exploit/cheat the heat altogether and miss out on the damage we were dealing (even if only a relatively small part of 0.7 x 8 vs 0.7 x 4 from ‘chaining’)
Although I suppose one could argue for sustained damage over a long period of time too

Either way to each their own! So long as they all burn screaming amirite? lol

Edited by WILL WORK FOR HEATSINKS, 08 June 2018 - 05:52 AM.

#14 Magnus Santini

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 708 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 05:03 AM

Flamers are still kind of fun but the nerfs keep them from being an effective weapon. Try to kill (or heat shutdown) a target in training grounds with one (or 6). Result: flamer dies to heat explosion, target cooling at 90%. If flamer heat is only up to 90% then flaming should never raise your heat over 90%. Commence flaming gentlemen.

#15 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 10 June 2018 - 05:57 AM

View PostMagnus Santini, on 10 June 2018 - 05:03 AM, said:

Flamers are still kind of fun but the nerfs keep them from being an effective weapon. Try to kill (or heat shutdown) a target in training grounds with one (or 6). Result: flamer dies to heat explosion, target cooling at 90%. If flamer heat is only up to 90% then flaming should never raise your heat over 90%. Commence flaming gentlemen.

That 90% threshold was put in for good reason, to prevent stun locking. The same reason knockdown was removed...

The whole heat-bar thing is a pile of slag though, all it does is ruin flamers for the user.

#16 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 04:46 PM

I'd rather have slower, projectile flamers that I could barrage for a quick heat spike, rather than infinite heat guns (until they overload and melt you instead). Every other heat weapon in Battletech works that way- inferno SRMs, plasma weaponry, etc.

PGI decided to make them some kind of weird flame sprayer that first had to have it's graphics altered to prevent blinding, then got the 90% overheat lock and overload mechanic to boot just to make it even MORE awkward.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users