#1 Larsh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Lanner
  • The Lanner
  • 272 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationYinz all going to EnP at PGH n'at?

Posted 16 June 2018 - 09:35 AM

Wanted to start a discussion on this mech. It is the only Griffin with ballistic hard points, and wanted to see what everyone was running on it. I am currently running a MRM 40, 2 Med Pulse, and 4 MG.

#2 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 16 June 2018 - 09:59 AM

Sadly the Griffin is built to be a brawler in terms of hard points, but it does not have the survival quirks or hitboxes necessary to make it a good one.

I guess you can make a decent 2x ER PPC/PPC poptart out of it with its good JJ capability and use 4 MG for backup weapons while using an XL engine. Posted Image

#3 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 12:15 PM

View PostElizander, on 16 June 2018 - 09:59 AM, said:

I guess you can make a decent 2x ER PPC/PPC poptart out of it with its good JJ capability and use 4 MG for backup weapons while using an XL engine. Posted Image

I have yet to see anyone use the Griffin as a PPC platform in MWO (ironic considering that is the selling point of the Griffin on the TT and everywhere else)

The Griffins missile capacity has always been the selling point for most outside of the Sparky. SRMs where the meta though many are trading them in for MRM for that little extra range. I still prefer SRMs myself, MRMs require to much face time but the Griffins wide shoulders makes it feel really squishy to get so close. It's very much a shoot and scout mech that requires the buddy system, make sure your not the only target for the enemy to focus on.

Larsh also does a awesome job twisting and spreading damage, shielding with those arm shields which is a must in that mech.

Camo specs and decal looks fairly sweet by the way.

#4 Erronius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 03:41 PM

I just generally prefer SRMs because MRMs feel like I'm trying to spray people with a firehose. Part of it is probably my having tried using MRMs against fast targets, and just needing to git gud with them. With most of the mechs I tried MRMs on I just switched back to old tech missiles later.

I might try a HMG version at some point over MGs.

#5 Shadey99

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 01:43 PM

I ran a dual HPPC build last time I played mine. Ran super hot, but if I managed to hit anything it got smacked hard. I tried a lot of builds when I first played with the 5M and generally hated them all. I'd kind of like to have 4E/4B/2M on it...

#6 Erronius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 07:49 AM

I realized a few days later that I also run an MRM40 on my Florentine, another mech that I feel has terrible hardpoints and not enough tonnage to really run heavier ballistics well (plus the arms feel too low slung to hill-hump with ballistics very well). It also, like the -5M, can mount a MRM in a fairly high mount. Unfortunately it doesn't get JJs and only gets 2 ballistic mounts (not enough to bother with MGs IMHO, but if it had 4 like the -5M, I might), but there are some similarities.

I was surprised that it isn't bad at hill-humping MRMs, considering that overall it felt like a pretty garbage mech (especially compared to the classic crab energy builds)

Dat high mount though

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users