14 replies to this topic

#1 buhatkj

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 01:24 AM

https://mwo.smurfy-n...593cf923ef27fa8

Stock engine, no chassis upgrades, just swap weapons. So far, I've been surprised how effective it is. LRMS for standoff, to wear the enemy down, and the LB10 and LMGs are good fr moving in to mid-range and delivering the killing blow.

Edited by buhatkj, 17 June 2018 - 01:25 AM.

#2 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 17 June 2018 - 10:09 AM

Sorry, mate, but no. That won't do well against even semi-competent opposition. I'd hesitate to call it a build at all.

Edited by Horseman, 17 June 2018 - 10:34 AM.

#3 Erronius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 01:23 PM

If you wanted to run an LB10X, maybe run that on the -D?

Not sure I'd want to give up the 10% AC20 quirk myself (32% with Firepower skills isn't bad at all). But even if you did, I wouldn't run an LRM launcher. LB10X + MRMs/SRMs I could see, but not LRMs. And I don't think the relatively weak missile quirks with hardpoints in a single torso on the -AH would make a heavy missile build attractive (to me at least) but I could even see 3xMG and 3xASRM-6s + LFE before that build (and there are better pure SRM carriers out there).

This is just my opinion, but a single LRM10 w/o Artemis just isn't worth it. You'll annoy people but your ability to open armor for the LB10X + LMGs is going to be pretty bad compared to other builds. You might find yourself having to sit back and wait for teammates to expose internal structure for you. To put it another way...in a 1v1 situation, and if I'm somewhat fresh, I'd just push you. LRM10 becomes worthless and people tend to facetank when using MGs. Then people are going to go for your RT and once you lose that, you're toast.

If you're playing with limited funds though and you don't have millions of cbills to drop on DHS, Endo, LFE, etc, I think I'd lose the LMGs and LRM10 and replace them with 2-3xSRM4s or something similar. Ammo will be a bit limited until you can start saving weight elsewhere with engines/endo/FF etc. Bad thing about the stock build though is that you're pretty weight constricted with the AC20 and I'm not sure the you can get a really good loadout with keeping the AC20 until you can upgrade the chassis. But once you can upgrade the mech (and get a lot of Cooldown skills) one option might be AC20 + LFE and maybe 2-3 SRM4s (kind of similar cooldowns with +12% cooldown skills). Or keep the LB10X, add 3xSRM4s, ferro, endo, DHS, LFE 250, shave armor from left arm.

SRMs at least let you focus on a component in conjunction with LB10X or AC20 in an alpha, twist to shield with left arm, then rinse and repeat as you start destroying components wholesale.

But I'm just spitballing here; I'm sure others have better loadouts than I can give you. But I feel ya if you're in a cbill crunch with the stock loadout though.

#4 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 17 June 2018 - 02:32 PM

Pretty much what he said.

I'd toss in a LFE250, AC20 and 3xSRM2 . 4 tons of ammo for the AC20, 2 tons for the SRMs. Build requires Endo and Light Ferro. 3xSRM-2 has the same tonnage of an SRM-6, but twice the rate of fire and much tighter spread - set up one group with them on alpha and another on chain fire as your "machine guns".

If you're not afraid of XL engines, XL 275 gives you space for 5 tons of AC20 ammo and 2.5 tons of SRM ammo.

Edited by Horseman, 17 June 2018 - 02:38 PM.

#5 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 18 June 2018 - 03:12 AM

I'd probably go with an MRM40 (4 tons ammo), 3 MG (2 tons ammo), 4 SHS and a couple of extra RL15s if I wasn't gonna upgrade it.

View PostErronius, on 17 June 2018 - 01:23 PM, said:

the -D?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

#6 Ruccus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 18 June 2018 - 06:02 AM

For getting the 500 damage quickly without spending many more c-bills I'd suggest something like this build.

The AC20 with a 20% cooldown is a monster, and use the rockets early (one chainfired volley against an assault or heavy that will catch most of the rockets) then shield with the left side for the rest of the match. Follow a heavy or assault teammate and let your AC20 just pound away at the enemy.

#7 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 18 June 2018 - 08:50 AM

That is not a good build. If you want a cheap semi-stock I would use a Centurion-AL.

#8 Erronius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 03:05 PM

View PostElizander, on 18 June 2018 - 03:12 AM, said:

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Posted Image

#9 buhatkj

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 11:45 AM

maybe it was coincidence, i had a good several first rounds trying this build. This is my only centurion chassis till recently, and I kept finding the AC20 rate of fire to slow for how often i would spot a chance to hit something useful. Matches with this build followed a particular pattern, i would hang back for the first few minutes and basically add a little fire support, and pretty much empty the LRM ammo, then move in for a brawl to finish people off. The LB10 and LMGs worked great to finish people off. I'm just going for center or side torso's really, the whole concept is to finish people off who have already been weakened significantly by both LRMs and just other team members.
Mostly, I was surprised how useful the LMGs were for getting those crits once there was structure to hit.
Were i trying to get into close combat right away, this would be a useless build, not enough burst damage. SRMs or MRMs would make more sense there.

#10 Bran Flakes

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 05:34 AM

I know nothing about mechs, googled this mech I somehow managed to get for free or something to try and make a build out of it.

Unluckily, and blindly, I bought the build mentioned by OP. It stinks. It's terrible. I hate it. Would the missile build suggested be any good?

/2 years later

#11 letir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 217 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 05:42 AM

View PostFlame Guardian, on 21 August 2020 - 05:34 AM, said:

I know nothing about mechs, googled this mech I somehow managed to get for free or something to try and make a build out of it.

Unluckily, and blindly, I bought the build mentioned by OP. It stinks. It's terrible. I hate it. Would the missile build suggested be any good?

/2 years later

https://mech.nav-alp...581a_CN9-AH-STD

Take most from quirked AC-20 and add some SRMs for good measure.

#12 Yiryi-Sa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 169 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 06:14 AM

View Postbuhatkj, on 17 June 2018 - 01:24 AM, said:

https://mwo.smurfy-n...593cf923ef27fa8

Stock engine, no chassis upgrades, just swap weapons. So far, I've been surprised how effective it is. LRMS for standoff, to wear the enemy down, and the LB10 and LMGs are good fr moving in to mid-range and delivering the killing blow.

Here's a requisite "cheap" build utilizing the strengths of the variant: CN9-AH

#13 Bran Flakes

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 06:15 AM

View PostRuccus, on 18 June 2018 - 06:02 AM, said:

For getting the 500 damage quickly without spending many more c-bills I'd suggest something like this build.

The AC20 with a 20% cooldown is a monster, and use the rockets early (one chainfired volley against an assault or heavy that will catch most of the rockets) then shield with the left side for the rest of the match. Follow a heavy or assault teammate and let your AC20 just pound away at the enemy.

Is this build worth checking out? Thanks for sharing Yiryi-Sa & letir, I'll look at your builds now too =)

#14 Yiryi-Sa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 169 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 06:51 AM

View PostFlame Guardian, on 21 August 2020 - 06:15 AM, said:

Is this build worth checking out? Thanks for sharing Yiryi-Sa & letir, I'll look at your builds now too =)

Centurions are pretty friendly with XL engines, and it can increase its survivability due to enhanced speed. For example:

CN9-AH

And since the OP was using an LB10-X, I figured this build would be a great one to look at (not cheap):

CN9-D

Or my favorite of all the Centurions:

CN9-AL

#15 Ruccus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 27 August 2020 - 10:16 AM

View PostFlame Guardian, on 21 August 2020 - 06:15 AM, said:

When I created the build it was as a modification to the OP's build without him having to spend much more in the way of c-bills. Its weaknesses are that it uses single heatsinks, doesn't use an endo-steel skeleton for weight savings, and the stock engine is pretty slow.

The main bones of the build (AC20 with ample ammunition, triple rocket launcher punch, and the tactic of using the left side of the mech to protect your AC20 from being shot off) work fine, but unless c-bills are an issue upgrading to double heatsinks, endo-steel and a faster light fusion engine would make for a better build. An XL engine can work in a Centurion, but in this build where you're trying to get the enemy to shoot at the left side of the mech I'd stick with a light fusion engine so you can lose the left torso without dying.

Something like this build might work, though if you have a light fusion engine anywhere in the 250 to 275 range you can tweak the build to make it work without buying another engine.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users