incoming missile

65 replies to this topic

#21 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 12:43 PM

If you keep getting polar you could specialize a mech for it
Maybe some long range ECM/Stealth mech like a Quad Large Laser Hellbringer or a Stealth Dual Gauss Thanatos and dont forget white camo.

(If I had 20 Dropdecks in CW, white camo ECM/Stealth on Polar, maybe wid lerms and narc, WIN WIN WIN)

#22 Stealth Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 736 posts
  • LocationOff in the Desert

Posted 15 September 2018 - 08:04 PM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 15 September 2018 - 12:43 PM, said:

If you keep getting polar you could specialize a mech for it

When I see that its gonna be nuthen but Polar for the night, I switch to a MadDog with 4 LRM15 and show the poor sumabitches what a real LRM s h i t storm looks like.

Edited by Stealth Fox, 15 September 2018 - 08:04 PM.

#23 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 03:01 AM

Dats da spirit
Posted Image

#24 Gloris

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 85 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 02:15 PM

Lurmbads voting polar, sitting still far behind their team, not twisting when you shoot them, but it does not matter because on polar you can't win agains them.

Honestly this map is so incredibly unfun it's hard for me to to even play it.
When you are in an assault you are looking at solid 3-6 minutes of walking with no enemy contact, and then depending on whichs teams fast mechs are already dead you get to fight outnumbered in a rain of Lurms.

Maybe if it was smaller and had at least one cover object in the center, like a big dropship or something...

#25 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 04 October 2018 - 09:50 AM

im vote each for Polar ,and use direct firing weapons ..polar the only map with good Terrain for wide manouvers ..Flanking ..not like all the other Maps with his small Forced ways and the only Maps thats from design like the old MW 4 Maps with his rolling Hillterrains...its not a map for nascar lemmings and stupid backstanders or Piklots thats not have experience to play a Teamgame.

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 04 October 2018 - 09:54 AM.

#26 Herz aus Stahl

• Pip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 02:36 AM

I guess the maps you see the most are:

1. Polar Highlands all of the time, mostly skirmish
2. Grim Plexus
3. Tourmaline Desert
4. HPGManifold
5. Canyon Network

Worst map of all:

Alpine Peaks

#27 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 06 October 2018 - 12:07 AM

View PostOld MW4 Ranger, on 04 October 2018 - 09:50 AM, said:

im vote each for Polar ,and use direct firing weapons ..polar the only map with good Terrain for wide manouvers ..Flanking ..not like all the other Maps with his small Forced ways and the only Maps thats from design like the old MW 4 Maps with his rolling Hillterrains...its not a map for nascar lemmings and stupid backstanders or Piklots thats not have experience to play a Teamgame.

Exactly. Polar Highlands is designed to reward mobility and maneuver - only the second map that does this (Viridian Bog was the first.) The only weakness in the map is the lack of high-cover objects to block LRMs (really, just adding some height to part of the inward-facing sides of the trenches would fix that, I think.) But people are trained by all the other maps to prefer more static gameplay - and so when I tell people to keep moving instead of stopping to camp wherever they first take contact is the way to win, it feels a lot like this:
Posted Image
It's frustrating at times, but all you can do is attempt to model the right behaviors and to explain things to people in threads like this. =)

#28 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 07 October 2018 - 09:54 PM

Its not a Map for Nascaring and stupid "Brawl ...Brawl" Assaults thats fights alone..UAVs a importatnt part of the map ...Watch the Sky the most guys nothing seeing what not direct is under her cursor

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 07 October 2018 - 09:54 PM.

#29 Hammer Fall

• Pip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 01:12 PM

Nuke the map. It would not be so bad if people did not play this game like it was Vietnam. It would not be so bad if it was not so boring and if people could move past strategies I use in the Total War series with muskets. It would not be so bad if you didn' t allow idiots to vote and maps were randomized. Despite all that I would still hate it.

It is not a very good map for this type of game. Not sure what type of game it would be good for. If we go by how lemmings want to play it, I guess trench and musket warfare. It is the one map where I do not care about being penalized and end the pan as quick as possible.

#30 Alreech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 25 December 2018 - 07:16 AM

View Postazmodanb, on 18 June 2018 - 11:08 AM, said:

seriously? EVERY GAME every other game is POLAR ******* HIGHLANDS.. INCOMING MISSILES AND POTATOES ALL OVER THE GAME... ...???/ seriously? can you shove this map up your ***? every other map is polar ******* highland OR 2 /3 games in a ******* row ????? garbage map garbage playerbase ****

I don't see the problem. Just use one of your two dropdecks with a Long Range Loadout (LRMs, AMS, ECM) for such Maps and select that dropdeck after the vote for the map is finished. Posted Image
You can even buy more dropdecks for MCs if you want to have more options for the mech selection.

#31 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 25 December 2018 - 03:29 PM

View PostAlreech, on 25 December 2018 - 07:16 AM, said:

I don't see the problem. Just use one of your two dropdecks with a Long Range Loadout (LRMs, AMS, ECM) for such Maps and select that dropdeck after the vote for the map is finished. Posted Image
You can even buy more dropdecks for MCs if you want to have more options for the mech selection.

This is only applicable if they are playing FP. If they are playing QP they are not able to make such a selection because they don't know the map they are on till the match is starting.

However, this is also where I mention that one should learn the maps, and/or set up their mechs so they do not have such large weaknesses to specific maps. In this case, possibly a bit of both, but most certainly learning the map better. There are ways one can sneak up on opponents on Polar Highlands, even with brawler builds. A little knowledge and patience can go a long way.

#32 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 26 December 2018 - 01:00 AM

So very long a way. =) There are still a non-trivial number of matches where people can just get screwed by team comp and not having the right 'mechs to respond to an LRM-heavy enemy team with a good spotter - but most of the time there WAS something to be done, if only people knew to do it.

#33 Hammer Fall

• Pip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 12:48 AM

Had enough of this map and how people play it. I do not play this game for 16th century musket firing lines, or to reenact the Vietnam war in a BattleMech. I do not play this game for flashback to early 2000s FPS games.

From here on out I will disconnect every time this map is voted.

#34 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 07:07 AM

View PostHammer Fall, on 27 December 2018 - 12:48 AM, said:

Had enough of this map and how people play it. I do not play this game for 16th century musket firing lines, or to reenact the Vietnam war in a BattleMech. I do not play this game for flashback to early 2000s FPS games.

From here on out I will disconnect every time this map is voted.

Hey. Um. Your repeating yourself. Much like how people seem to try and play every game mode and map created the same way...

Let me help explain what is happening:
- Game mode: Every game mode is skirmish. No one wants to play other game modes, they just want to kill the enemy team. Thus, every game mode is "skirmish with alternative optional objectives". There is some truth to this statement, but at the same time you should be worried about the game mode objectives as well, at least to some degree.
- Map play: It's always get to a central feature, then move counter clockwise around said feature till your slowest mechs or the enemy's slowest mechs get nabbed by the respective team's faster elements. If there is no central feature, we either make one up, or stand on top of hills because "the high ground is greatest" out in the open. Unto which, the teams that typically do either of these behaviors lose, and lose hard. (Unless both teams do it, then it's which ever team had more mechs set up to favor such tactics.)

If you want a team to try and play differently from these default tactics, you have two good options.
1. Get a mic and use the in game Viop or text chat. Give suggestions and tactical advice to try and get your team to do something better/smarter than "default basic tactics". YOU can be the solution. Granted, not everyone will listen to you... so there is also that.
2. Get a group of friends together and form a premade team. Get all on a Viop program (Discord is free) or make extensive use of the in game Viop. Then, set up mechs and tactics together and work maps and game modes differently from PUG default strategies.

Then again, I guess you do have option 3...
3. Keep disconnecting every time you get dropped on a map your don't like or with a team that are doing tactics you don't like... until you get banned from the game and your account locked.

Option 3 comes HIGHLY not recommended, unless you don't care about your account and love to leave teams a man down, trolling fellow players. Please. Don't choose option 3... No one else likes a player who chooses option 3. They tend to report them for non-participation and disconnecting from matches early and intentionally...

I will also mention that you are in T5. This is not an issue of itself (nor any indicator about you). However, what that means is that a lot of your fellow players in your matches are likely to be less experienced, less skilled and/or just very unlucky pilots. They are more likely to try and do things that aren't always the most beneficial for them or their team, such as standing out in the open. (Then again, I'm T1 and I still see some fairly silly stuff happening in my matches, so PSR tier isn't everything.)

Most times, you can only make suggestions to your team and worry about your own individual performance in the match. If everyone else wants to hide out on an open hill top, nothing says you HAVE to join them. Push ahead, they might follow. Use the low ground to move undetected to the enemy's side (especially if they are doing the same thing as your team). Etc. Don't let your own team hold you back. Do what you can yourself, while trying to aid your team, even if they are being "silly".

#35 Hammer Fall

• Pip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 02:11 PM

You like to type just to type.

You make a good point. Instead I will be as useless as the civies.

Edited by Hammer Fall, 27 December 2018 - 02:19 PM.

#36 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 27 December 2018 - 06:41 PM

More useless, actually; the 'civvies' (as if this game doesn't have a very high relative fraction of current and ex-military personnel playing it) are actually trying to play the game as best they can, while you are throwing a tantrum and refusing to do your best. While insulting someone who is trying to help you.

I strongly suggest that you fix your attitude - it's one thing that's entirely under your control, and it's the biggest obstacle to your improving both your performance in and enjoyment of the game.

#37 Ullr

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 81 posts
  • LocationOrono Maine

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:59 AM

This is a frustrating map for me, as I typically try to build universal mech set ups. Yes some run hot, but I would rather be OK on all maps then good on one and ganked on another. I still end up with 9x map multipliers a lot. The same maps and same game mod do kind of kill the game for me sum, but I do have a lot to learn in it, since I took a long break. I wouldn't mind seeing maps and game types randomized a from time to time to mix things up for people that just like the colder maps.

#38 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 10 January 2019 - 06:47 PM

Well, the game types and matches that show up for voting are randomized; however, you're in Tier 4, and if memory serves that bracket has often been filled with those who use LRMs as a substitute for competence. It's also home to people who build their 'mechs for the matches they think they should have, rather than for the matches they get. This may or may not be you - depending on what you mean by "universal 'mech setup."

If you mean that you try to build a focused 'mech that can still operate in multiple environments, well. But if you're trying to have a gun for all ranges, I'll advise against it. Instead, go for a 'mech loadout that is focused around one range, but can operate at all of them - ERPPCs come to mind. In fact, that's my Huntsman A. It performs adequately on even the hottest maps - and on cold maps it does... better. On the other end of the jack-of-all-trades spectrum is the Atlas with an AC/20 and 3 LRMs (build isn't possible any more; this was before they locked ECM to a hardpoint. I used to put my in a leg.) I wish I was making it up, but the guy seriously thought that being armed with conflicting weapon types that left him with the guns of a Hunchback at any given range was a great plan. He was not an asset to the team.

All of this is somewhat academic, though; Polar Highlands isn't the LRM/Sniper-only hell that many players make it out to be; it's just a different kind of map from most others in the game. I did a Write-up On This Map a while back - it may help you, if you're playing the map as most players assume it is meant to be played.

Edited by Void Angel, 10 January 2019 - 06:47 PM.

#39 Mighty Spike

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,590 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHoly Beer City of Munich

Posted 16 January 2019 - 07:46 AM

just me or they increased the map rotation polar f###n highlands today? in every single match cycle its there. Had it 7times in a row today and really annoyed of it and the massive lurmspam today

#40 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:32 AM

View PostMighty Spike, on 16 January 2019 - 07:46 AM, said:

just me or they increased the map rotation polar f###n highlands today? in every single match cycle its there. Had it 7times in a row today and really annoyed of it and the massive lurmspam today

That's just RNG hitting the right way between you launching and other people to somehow have you getting it as an option more often. Last night, I don't think we even got to see the map as an option when I was playing...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users