5 replies to this topic

#1 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 29 June 2018 - 09:07 AM

In D4 there's a player in the top spot with a build that is simply inspired, but which requires a level of skill to operate that I apparently shan't attain in a million years. He's running 6 medium pulse lasers and 2 snub nosed PPCs.

From my understanding, the PPCs are there to provide a 1:1 heat/damage weapon whilst not triggering ghost heat, and to fill space and tonnage that would otherwise not be particularly well used up.

I managed to make a build that prioritised heat sinks, and crammed 8 on top of the existing 10 in the engine with a 325 Light. I shaved a few points off the legs but not a great deal, about 6 I think.

Initially I put all my skill points into weapons, survival and operations, prioritizing heat dispersal. This failed so miserably that the only person I beat in an evening was a guy with 0 games under his belt, and even then only barely.

After that, and with only half an hour left to play, I put the points from survival into mobility. I also took points out of cooldown reduction to further fill out mobility, as I simply could not bring my weapons to bare quickly enough. I begun to consider not twisting at all vs certain opponents, as this build can alpha for about 56 pts of damage, followed up by firing all its pulse lasers again without over heating. This led to a spectacular win against a splat Bushwacker who I legged and set off an ammo explosion on. I had a couple more wins and some good QP games where I begun to understand how this 'Mech might be capable of obliterating everything in D4.

Still, I'm ranked 11 thousandth, so yeah.

Here's my guess then, at why this fella is actually quite meaty despite my ineptitude:

* 56 point pin point alpha, probably the highest attainable pin point alpha of any 'Mech in D4.
* The heaviest 'Mech in its class which means decent armour and a good top speed.
* Slim profile leads to good convergence of weapons, even against players that get up into your face. The low down weapon placement isn't a problem as you can vote off maps that would screw you over (Boreal)
* Complimentary quirks for heat management mean that you really are piloting potentially the most heat efficient 'Mech in the division.
* No possibility of suffering an ammo explosion.

Now, here's the shortcomings which may or may not be mitigated by a better build, but certainly by a better player:

* SN-PPCs are very situational, and if you miss more than twice you may as well give up, as the amount of heat you have dumped into yourself with no damage means you are too far behind to catch up.
* Light engine only buys you a few extra seconds to live, as losing a torso obliterates your heat efficiency.
* Mobility skills seem almost mandatory, especially against Jagermechs that catch you in the open, but also against people up close. This means the 'Mechs extra armour isn't quite so extra.
* I'm a really, really awful pilot in this 'Mech, but I've dumped all my c-bills into it...

...So please, God, someone give me some advice on how to play it better.

Edited by RickySpanish, 29 June 2018 - 09:08 AM.

#2 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 29 June 2018 - 10:04 AM

While I don't doubt it's possible to do very well with that 2x SNPPC / 6 MPL BLK, its probably not easy, you'd need to hit every PPC shot since it gets so hot. I'd probably just run something like this: 6 MPL 3 ERSL, 32 SHS if I was going to do a black knight. Much cooler, you can alpha repeatedly without overheating.

#3 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 29 June 2018 - 10:46 AM

Shoot / Twist / Cool / Twist back / Shoot.

About it.

2SNPPC is too hot though... Use more MPL.

If I play 15 games in any div, I am top 500... If you dont crack top 1000... You need to address play-style/build.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 29 June 2018 - 10:53 AM.

#4 Marquis De Lafayette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 29 June 2018 - 11:59 AM

Ricky...i was one of the guys who played you a couple of times last night (using a couple of different mechs, as I was just messing around and wanted to get my 25 matches in all at once). The match that was notable (not the Boreal one where I just used a jager on you from range) was the one where I was in a 9 mpl Black Knight Vs. Your black knight build. That match really came down to heat management and of course gunnery. For that build to work you Vs. What I was running you are going to have to get my CT nearly everytime you shoot. If I can manage to spread the damage (by twisting, you missing or getting impatient) you are just going to run up against the heat-cap faster than I do in the 9mpl build (which is quite hot itself and not amazing for Solaris). A top player isn’t going to miss those CT shots and might be able to use that build better than a lesser player can. No offense to you. Mpl builds are probably a bit more forgiving.

A piece of encouragement for you. With (pretty good...even for top 1000) Solaris rewards being announced I ran into several very experienced (and good) pilots with very low match counts who were probably just trying to get their 25 matches in as well to snag a few 100k of GXP.. It wasn’t just total noobs playing that divisIon last night , so the next couple of weeks might be a bit tougher for those with low elo’s due to skill. You will probably see a good deal of good pilots with low match counts, so if you found the matches tougher last night it could be In part that factor. It’s a lot of GXP if you can finish top 500 or even top 1000 in 7 divisions.

#5 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 01:23 PM

Yep there were some good players on, which is encouraging because a good match is a good match, even if you lose. I wasn't expecting your Jager, I felt a little silly once I saw it pop up. I couldn't hit much with the SN-PPCs, I even managed a few shots cleanly between people's legs. Theoretically, their alpha should work quite well, but only if your opponent is walking straight at you so there is no need to lead. I figured I should have kept myself pointed at your Knight instead of trying to twist, that was when I was playing with zero points in mobility and I was losing time to twisting away and then back. Unfortunately I was flat broke until later, so I could not buy the SP to spec into mobility.

[Edit]
Back in the Black (ahaha!), finally getting the hang of this thing. So, so many ammo explosions!

Edited by RickySpanish, 29 June 2018 - 02:21 PM.

#6 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 02:50 PM

Maybe I should just play it in QP instead...

Posted Image

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users