Any Clan Roleplay Friendly Groups?

Social General Metagame

22 replies to this topic

#1 Kaczynski

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 05:01 PM

Hey folks,

long time player of the table top and RPG but first time on MWO. Looking to find a Clan (apparently everyone has gone Merc) group with a little bit of patience for roleplay (not taken seriously) and someone who cares about Lore more than stats when building a mech or fighting in Faction Play.

I know HHoD have a great reputation but they are IS freeborn scum (admittedly there are some good pilots amoung them and their training is legendary even out here in the Periphery)

Also no Taurian Concorda IS faction? Bloody Starleague loving developers.

#2 Wil McCullough

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 08:06 PM

Lore-built clan robots get stomped by meta IS robots. Which is distinctly un-lore like.

Kerensky would roll in his grave, but it is what it is.

#3 Kaczynski

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 09:14 PM

True, but imagine kicking their freeborn asses all the way back to Terra?

#4 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 02 July 2018 - 09:20 PM

Lore is dead. Faction identity is meaningless. There is only one front. You should have been playing three years ago, not now.

Edited by Spheroid, 02 July 2018 - 09:21 PM.

#5 Johnathan Tanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 899 posts
  • LocationCurrently dodging the pugs war crimes tribunal

Posted 02 July 2018 - 09:21 PM

View PostKaczynski, on 02 July 2018 - 09:14 PM, said:

True, but imagine kicking their freeborn asses all the way back to Terra?

CW is long dead.

#6 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 09:40 PM

View PostKaczynski, on 02 July 2018 - 05:01 PM, said:

...someone who cares about Lore more than stats when building a mech or fighting in Faction Play.

Asking for a group that uses stock builds in FP is essentially the same as asking for a group that likes intentionally losing every single match before even queuing up.

Good luck.

Edited by Bombast, 02 July 2018 - 10:48 PM.

#7 visionGT4

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 313 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 09:49 PM

Theres plenty of clam role playing on the forums. They can be identified by the post stating they are entitled to club baby seals cos lore / space h1tl37s decree.

Edited by visionGT4, 02 July 2018 - 09:50 PM.

#8 Kaczynski

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 10:44 PM

I more mean running 3050 Mechs and with a little RP in forum and in game chat.

Failing that I will Merc myself out to the Inner Sphere for a bit to learn their tactics and command (a la Wolf's Dragoons) then come back to my beloved Clans and Omnimechs.

#9 MTier Slayed Up

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 717 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 11:37 PM

Clan Wolf International or Clan Ghost Bear International are good places to start for Clan lore based units. I'd recommend the latter though, looks more active.

http://ghost-bear-command.com/

Edited by DrtyDshSoap, 02 July 2018 - 11:37 PM.

#10 Chados

• 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 03 July 2018 - 03:50 AM

I think 79th Raptor Talon (R79T) is. I have an old pal who runs with them on and off and he actually earned a Jade Falcon Bloodname in a Trial of some kind. That’s pretty Lore.

Of course, I’m Kurita by preference and run with either a particular Marik loyalist outfit or the Queen’s Guard, so I’m certainly no roadmap.

#11 Wil McCullough

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 05:00 AM

View PostChados, on 03 July 2018 - 03:50 AM, said:

I think 79th Raptor Talon (R79T) is. I have an old pal who runs with them on and off and he actually earned a Jade Falcon Bloodname in a Trial of some kind. That’s pretty Lore.

Of course, I’m Kurita by preference and run with either a particular Marik loyalist outfit or the Queen’s Guard, so I’m certainly no roadmap.

As a kuritan you mix with vatborn scum? You bring shame to famry. Great dishonor. I insist you commit seppuku to atone for sin.

#12 Asym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 06:10 AM

Alas, the Freeborn have won....... We now aspire to be the Quintessence of dust....and, move away from their corruption.
We are done in this effort and hope that all that we were is saved somewhere to be born again....
The great fight for this generation is long over and only time and distance heals those wounds....

So this be said and so it is done...

#13 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 12:06 PM

There used to be a thriving lore community for Clans. They did Trials of Position in their units, some even bid with each other to attack certain planets in certain phases.

Given the flexibility of Clan mechs for customization it was never a 'lore' issue to take optimized mechs; just don't take LRMs because they literally teach you to be bad at the game.

However faction identity was intentionally destroyed by PGI and any point or value to being a Loyalist wasn't just ignored from the start but then shot repeatedly in the head by PGI during the 'One Bukkit' change that absolutely guaranteed the death of FW in one of the most stunningly short-sighted and incompetent decisions in game design I've seen in a while - and I used to work for Electronic Arts.

These things drove out thousands and thousands of players, the majority of the lore focused population for no real or useful reason. Cheaper, I guess?

Sorry if we all sound a little bitter but at one time this was a game you would have loved with a community that would have wrapped you right up and given you a huge community of hundreds and hundreds of like-minded players to play with, while hundreds, even thousands of the rest of us less lore-focused would have enjoyed shooting you in big stompy robbits.

However PGI brutally murdered Faction Warfare through years of consistently ignoring it, then making a few terrible decisions then ignoring the consequences of that for a year and a half, then coming back and ******* it up again. It's really clear that PGI made a ton of promises about what FW would be, then realized they either couldn't or wouldn't deliver those promises. Then they ignored it, screwed it up, ignored it and now really, really want to pretend it never happened. It's like asking Germans about the 1940s. 'WE WERE ALL ON VACATION IT NEVER HAPPENED SHUT YOUR ***** MOUTH!'

#14 Chados

• 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 03 July 2018 - 05:50 PM

View PostWil McCullough, on 03 July 2018 - 05:00 AM, said:

As a kuritan you mix with vatborn scum? You bring shame to famry. Great dishonor. I insist you commit seppuku to atone for sin.

You made me choke on my water! That was funny.

#15 Alexandra Hekmatyar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Marshal
  • Marshal
  • 774 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 03 July 2018 - 06:22 PM

View PostKaczynski, on 02 July 2018 - 10:44 PM, said:

Failing that I will Merc myself out to the Inner Sphere for a bit to learn their tactics and command (a la Wolf's Dragoons) then come back to my beloved Clans and Omnimechs.

Here at SAFE we exactly know what to do with people like you.

Posted Image
​Now where should I hide the body of my SAFE colleague?

#16 Kaczynski

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 07:06 PM

View PostDrtyDshSoap, on 02 July 2018 - 11:37 PM, said:

Clan Wolf International or Clan Ghost Bear International are good places to start for Clan lore based units. I'd recommend the latter though, looks more active.

http://ghost-bear-command.com/

Thank you!

View PostMischiefSC, on 03 July 2018 - 12:06 PM, said:

There used to be a thriving lore community for Clans. They did Trials of Position in their units, some even bid with each other to attack certain planets in certain phases.

Given the flexibility of Clan mechs for customization it was never a 'lore' issue to take optimized mechs; just don't take LRMs because they literally teach you to be bad at the game.

However faction identity was intentionally destroyed by PGI and any point or value to being a Loyalist wasn't just ignored from the start but then shot repeatedly in the head by PGI during the 'One Bukkit' change that absolutely guaranteed the death of FW in one of the most stunningly short-sighted and incompetent decisions in game design I've seen in a while - and I used to work for Electronic Arts.

These things drove out thousands and thousands of players, the majority of the lore focused population for no real or useful reason. Cheaper, I guess?

Sorry if we all sound a little bitter but at one time this was a game you would have loved with a community that would have wrapped you right up and given you a huge community of hundreds and hundreds of like-minded players to play with, while hundreds, even thousands of the rest of us less lore-focused would have enjoyed shooting you in big stompy robbits.

However PGI brutally murdered Faction Warfare through years of consistently ignoring it, then making a few terrible decisions then ignoring the consequences of that for a year and a half, then coming back and ******* it up again. It's really clear that PGI made a ton of promises about what FW would be, then realized they either couldn't or wouldn't deliver those promises. Then they ignored it, screwed it up, ignored it and now really, really want to pretend it never happened. It's like asking Germans about the 1940s. 'WE WERE ALL ON VACATION IT NEVER HAPPENED SHUT YOUR ***** MOUTH!'

I wish I could unlike this :( So sad.

#17 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 07:38 PM

I may recommend DSX or Clan Diamond Sharks. But its been a while since I had contact with them.

#18 S O L A I S

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 390 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 05 July 2018 - 10:32 PM

Unless you can find eleven others to run lore builds in CW with don't do it. They are terrible and doing this would a detriment to the team stuck with you.

View PostAnjian, on 05 July 2018 - 07:38 PM, said:

I may recommend DSX or Clan Diamond Sharks. But its been a while since I had contact with them.

DSX are mercs and currently IS.

#19 Dogstar

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,725 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:52 PM

I have to ask, why would anyone want to roleplay as an arrogant genetically engineered space-viking freak living in a cultural vacuum? A clan pilot is basically a cut-price assembly-line robot and about as interesting, talk about limited roleplaying opportunities! They're not even as interesting as Klingons who at least have the good grace to be entertainingly flawed.

#20 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 12:04 AM

View PostDogstar, on 05 July 2018 - 11:52 PM, said:

I have to ask, why would anyone want to roleplay as an arrogant genetically engineered space-viking freak living in a cultural vacuum? A clan pilot is basically a cut-price assembly-line robot and about as interesting, talk about limited roleplaying opportunities! They're not even as interesting as Klingons who at least have the good grace to be entertainingly flawed.

Clanners are basically one of the ultimate power fantasies. A clan warrior is a physically perfect, highly skilled, highly feared warrior who gets to do whatever s/he wants to do, gets to **** on anyone who dares get in there way, has 'honor,' and has lots, and I mean lots, of carefree, casual sex.

And then there's the whole furry thing.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users