463 replies to this topic

#121 JadeLight

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:35 PM

View Postadamts01, on 05 July 2018 - 10:25 PM, said:

After their c-bill release and actually piloting them, the Piranha is broken as ****. The 12mg build pumps out 12dps, considerably more than a UAC20. The 14ERSL dumps 32 damage over a second, with a 160+ meter range, and is incredibly cool running at that. In comparison, that's the same dps as a 6SPL Locust but at almost twice the range. But, MGs and ERSmalls aren't broken, it's boating them, the same problem PGI has always had. More Ghost Heat could help the energy build, and I guess the MG build if they got heat. But the best solution is simply to give an exponentially increasing accuracy penalty when too many of a weapon group are fired. That solves boating across the board. Things are just stupid with this mech and all boats at this point. The silly upcoming Clan nerfs aren't going to help and aren't warranted, as again, it hurts the mechs that can't boat more than it hurts the mechs that can.

This is a lot of theory. I'd like to see your performance. I took a record of 25 games in a row with a piranha. The end result was sub 200 match score. If you remove the top three scores (by 2 of the top 10 light pilots that month)then you end up with a measly 175 average match score. It takes a lot more effort then DPS to be effective. Ammo, glass jaw syndrome and not understanding how to pilot lights are all factors to take into account. A good pilot can make any mech sing. Look at lightspeed. He can do 600+ damage with what, 3 tons of srm ammo in his commando 2D? Is that op? No, he is a good pilot.

#122 adamts01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:36 PM

View PostJadeLight, on 05 July 2018 - 11:27 PM, said:

In lower tiers it very well could be OP but against competent pilots you could be dead rather quickly.
All light brawlers are worthless against competent pilots. That's been the case ever since they fixed hit reg. The thing to realize is that no one will take a light in to comp unless they have to, 99% of this game is Quick Play, and 99% of players in tier 1 Quick Play can't hit anything. So as a sound business decision, it's fair to say that things should be balanced for 99% of your clients. And, like always, comp players will compensate and do just fine.

#123 JadeLight

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:48 PM

View PostShiverMeRivets, on 05 July 2018 - 04:24 AM, said:

I'll tell you why I hate all 20 tonners. It is my opinion, but I suspect some may share it.

I came to this game to play Mechs - you know, giant robots that stomp on cars, break buildings and fire BFGs Howitzer heavy artillery-calibre guns at each other. What I did not want to play or fight against are things slightly bigger than Marvel's Ironman that go up to 3 times my speed, yet kill me just as quickly as a big F'ing Mech with Howitzers.

Let me ask who shares the following sentiment:
When I get shaked by an AC20 my 1st thought is an angry "who did that?!".
When I hear that pling pling MG sound, my 1st thought is "OMG I an going to die".
Shouldn't that be reversed?

A smart light won't engage an ac20 assault with a half Decent pilot. Reality is that not getting hit is just as good as being able to tank the hit. Learn the weakness (front loaded pinpoint, lock weapons if you aren't a great aim) and put some back armor on if you are dying from the back. It's not your way or the highway, sorry to say. Other people came to play in fast mechs. Personally, I only play lights because people didn't play lights. 2 months ago the average light per game was 1 or 2 including me 700 times. I just wanted to play my summoner and hellbringer with a side of cute fox.

View Postadamts01, on 05 July 2018 - 11:36 PM, said:

All light brawlers are worthless against competent pilots. That's been the case ever since they fixed hit reg. The thing to realize is that no one will take a light in to comp unless they have to, 99% of this game is Quick Play, and 99% of players in tier 1 Quick Play can't hit anything. So as a sound business decision, it's fair to say that things should be balanced for 99% of your clients. And, like always, comp players will compensate and do just fine.

You are whining with 36 games played in the last 5 months. Plenty of people can hit a piranha just fine. You might know that if you would drop and see the burning corpses of fishies everyone thought was OP.

Edited by JadeLight, 05 July 2018 - 11:49 PM.

#124 JadeLight

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:51 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 04 July 2018 - 06:37 AM, said:

As predicted, those that cry the most were the first to saddle up and the first to learn it isn't easy to play. So many derps out yesterday that think face hugging and running straight at people actually works.

You don't need tons of back armor to deal with a PIR. It won't help you anyways because the burst dps with heavy smalls is so damn good. Start moving and start calling out to team mates. Mark the ****** with target spotting every chance you get.

I had several PIR facehug my Jenner IIC just to get oneshot. People make me laugh, LOL.

#125 Dogstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,722 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 06 July 2018 - 12:01 AM

Piranha - The Most Broken Mech In Battletech

FTFY!

Seriously though, the person who introduced the Piranha to Battletech should be slapped. Exploiting the TT rules by throwing nothing but MGs on a mech has always been a problem in the game and adding clantech to the equation just exacerbates it.

#126 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 06 July 2018 - 12:03 AM

View PostJadeLight, on 05 July 2018 - 11:48 PM, said:

You are whining with 36 games played in the last 5 months. Plenty of people can hit a piranha just fine. You might know that if you would drop and see the burning corpses of fishies everyone thought was OP.
Dude, I've got thousands of drops in light mechs. Yes, I only play for a few days every 6 months or so to see where the game is at, and this time back I see this incredible outlier in my most beloved class. Also, I've come to this opinion from actually using the Piranha and getting away with murder. I checked Jarls list for the first time and it turns out I'm in the top 5% of the game as a rusty player. That doesn't say much with this playerbase, but it should lend just a bit to my credibility. But I admit I am torn. Lights have been **** on left and right, and we finally have a light that resembles the glory days since before the resize. But there's no argument that this mech doesn't dominate the class. Those SRM Javelins and Commandos might come close, but I still think the Piranha takes the cake. So I don't know, maybe I'm just so used to lights being ****. If all classes should be equals in this TDM then I suppose the Piranha might be right where it should be. But if that's the case then about every other light needs a size reduction at the least, and damage/armor quirks on top.

#127 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 06 July 2018 - 12:10 AM

Know what? I change my position. Most every other light needs to go back to their original size, and we can talk quirks from there. Leave this monster as is.

#128 JadeLight

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 12:15 AM

View Postadamts01, on 06 July 2018 - 12:03 AM, said:

Dude, I've got thousands of drops in light mechs. Yes, I only play for a few days every 6 months or so to see where the game is at, and this time back I see this incredible outlier in my most beloved class. Also, I've come to this opinion from actually using the Piranha and getting away with murder. I checked Jarls list for the first time and it turns out I'm in the top 5% of the game as a rusty player. That doesn't say much with this playerbase, but it should lend just a bit to my credibility. But I admit I am torn. Lights have been **** on left and right, and we finally have a light that resembles the glory days since before the resize. But there's no argument that this mech doesn't dominate the class. Those SRM Javelins and Commandos might come close, but I still think the Piranha takes the cake. So I don't know, maybe I'm just so used to lights being ****. If all classes should be equals in this TDM then I suppose the Piranha might be right where it should be. But if that's the case then about every other light needs a size reduction at the least, and damage/armor quirks on top.

I'm just telling you, what a good pilot and the average pilot can do are different. A good pilot vs good pilots will get smashed. A good pilot vs bad pilits will do well and bad pilots vs bad pilots will get smashed. The only time this I a problem is when some {Richard Cameron} is pugstomping in tiers he doesn't belong. The match scores even out and the best scores from the PIR are usually due to pilot ability or the lack of ability on the enemy team. I've seen it countless times. Some guy buys it because on paper it looks impossibly good but then gets wrecked 2-3 games in a row. Literally Everytime I see a good PIR score it's from a good or well established pilot.

I had the same concerns as everyone else. It is a unique design and one of a kind but it has plenty of cons to balance out, especially with the 2+ streakboats on each team currently specifically hunting fishy boys. There are plenty of counters, rest assured.

#129 UnofficialOperator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 06 July 2018 - 12:26 AM

How are you thousands of games in lights? 36% lights of 1359 drops is not thousands of games in lights.

Psssh get to mah level plox

#130 MTier Slayed Up

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 717 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 12:33 AM

We should buff aiming. That'll show those light pilots.

#131 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 06 July 2018 - 12:34 AM

View PostUnofficialOperator, on 06 July 2018 - 12:26 AM, said:

How are you thousands of games in lights? 36% lights of 1359 drops is not thousands of games in lights.

Psssh get to mah level plox

I don't know how far back stats go back, or if there's a better source, but clicking on my profile then stats says that I have 4,938 wins and 3,823 losses, and I played nothing but lights for my first 2.5 years in this game.

#132 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 06 July 2018 - 12:40 AM

View PostDrtyDshSoap, on 06 July 2018 - 12:33 AM, said:

Aiming is a hard counter, and it has been since hit-reg fixes. But this game has the dwindling playerbase that it has, and there's no buffing aiming.

#133 Wil McCullough

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 12:55 AM

Any pirahna pilots here?

Theoratically from looking at its squishiness, it seems possible to deter them just by STARING at them. And by that i mean if a piranha peeks a corner, see you looking in its direction, peeks again and sees you still looking at it, it might just ********** and not try any shenanigans.

Would this work hahaha

#134 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 06 July 2018 - 02:02 AM

I've come to this opinion from actually using the Piranha and getting away with murder.

#135 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,837 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 06 July 2018 - 02:51 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 06 July 2018 - 02:02 AM, said:

Would buy a Xbone just to play a remastered version of this game, and I do miss battle armor hacking was so fun and hilarous, ejecting the whole enemy team while their mechs are left in the middle of the field in River City.

#136 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,012 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 06 July 2018 - 05:50 AM

View Postadamts01, on 05 July 2018 - 10:35 PM, said:

12 seconds while the Piranha has 12dps is 144 damage. That's a losing race for most mechs.

Or 180 damage from the 14ERS build at 165 meters.

Most mechs don't have the heat to win that fight. The Piranha is just dirty and broken.

Yeah, and it is always 1 vs 1, despite the PIR1 has no range and no ECM /sarcasm off

View PostDrtyDshSoap, on 06 July 2018 - 12:33 AM, said:

Why improve when you can shoot the light mech class by whining on the board...repeatedly? *looks at the long list of nerfs*

Edited by Bush Hopper, 06 July 2018 - 06:00 AM.

#137 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 08:19 AM

View Postadamts01, on 05 July 2018 - 11:09 PM, said:

That argument applies to all brawler lights. As an old school light player I actually believe that most lights should get their size reduced and get other buffs on top of that, so I'm not at all hating on lights in general, just this specific mech. Its firepower is just stupid. At 20 tons it offers more dps than most heavies, easily doubles the dps of any other light, and on top of that the thing never overheats. As much as I love lights, when something's broken it's broken.

That's an inaccurate statement. If a Piranha does more DPS than most heavies, then most heavies are built wrong.

My Shadowhawk-2D is not exactly a DPS monster, and it's a Medium mech, but even it pumps out 15 DPS. If I'm holding my shots to synchronize cooldowns (between AC20 and SRM4's), it's still 13.4 DPS.

If you magically took away all its cooldown quirks, it's still 13.6 max DPS, or 11.45 DPS if I hold my shots to synchronize cooldowns. In that last scenario, the Piranha has slightly more DPS than I do, but that's a deliberate decision on my part, gimping my DPS in exchange for bigger hammer blows.

Note that this is all before factoring in the Skill Tree (and its Cooldown nodes). If you take that into account, the DPS for this Shadowhawk is actually higher.

#138 Zibmo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • 488 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 08:56 AM

View PostDogstar, on 06 July 2018 - 12:01 AM, said:

Piranha - The Most Broken Mech In Battletech

FTFY!

Seriously though, the person who introduced the Piranha to Battletech should be slapped. Exploiting the TT rules by throwing nothing but MGs on a mech has always been a problem in the game and adding clantech to the equation just exacerbates it.

Remember the Charger? You could build one out with 18 machine guns. An 80 ton PIR.

#139 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 09:16 AM

A lot of you are only seeing the sustained DPS number on smurfy. DPS before overheat is a much much higher number in most cases.

The PIR is strong for the same reason as other good lights, because it actively punishes people for making bad decisions.

Its astounding how many people cry about short range knife fighting but won't dare speak a word about the laser cheesebringer, the gauss laser cheesestrike, or the heavy gauss cheesilator. All of which will one-two ANY MECH in the game a lot faster than the PIR only with a lot more armor and from a much safer distance.

(I don't actually think any of those are cheesy, just pointing out the things that will eat lights on a fairly consistent basis in the hands of anyone remotely competent which also rely on a gimmick.)

Edited by Prototelis, 06 July 2018 - 10:17 AM.

#140 Youshallgofo

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 09:45 AM

All i know is if my dual gauss Jager hits this thing once it's down.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users