463 replies to this topic

#161 Jon Gotham

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 12:53 PM

View PostEdustaja, on 06 July 2018 - 10:18 AM, said:

I've had hard time getting a decent consistent score in the piranha. Maybe it's because it's such a feast or famine mech. If you get behind some fat assaults you can just devastate half the enemy team, but expose yourself a second too long and you're dead.

I've had those 5 kill games and then those where I get obliterated with almost zero damage Posted Image

Success depends on 2 factors:
#1 did you get spotted?
#2 did the spotter have the ability to aim?

Edited by Jon Gotham, 07 July 2018 - 01:34 PM.

#162 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 12:55 PM

View PostHeisenbug, on 07 July 2018 - 07:33 AM, said:

They are ridiculously op'd; a bad light pilot will be better in a Piranha and a good light pilot will be godly

A bad player in a good mech is always going to be better off. A good player in a good mech will be godly.

But see thats the problem, lights can't possibly be good because muh assults.

#163 Lunatic NEo

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 01:41 PM

We should agree in nerving all Clan MG's. How about Recoil added if you shoot more then 1?

#164 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,838 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 07 July 2018 - 01:58 PM

View PostLunatic NEo, on 07 July 2018 - 01:41 PM, said:

We should agree in nerving all Clan MG's. How about Recoil added if you shoot more then 1?

Don't give the dev's any stupid ideas...

#165 Vonbach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 696 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 07:00 PM

The mech shouldn't even be in the game. Give it the arctic cheeter treatment and get rid of it.

Edited by Vonbach, 07 July 2018 - 07:01 PM.

#166 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 07:06 PM

View PostVonbach, on 07 July 2018 - 07:00 PM, said:

The mech shouldn't even be in the game. Give it the arctic cheeter treatment and get rid of it.

You mean remove it structure quirks for it legs, and heat dissipation? Because if I remember correctly that when they remove the Cheetos quirks it barely affected and players still whined.

Either you play smarter with the mech in the game or just find something else to play because it only few viable lights in the game.

#167 Vonbach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 696 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 07:10 PM

View PostBattlemaster56, on 07 July 2018 - 07:06 PM, said:

Either you play smarter with the mech in the game or just find something else to play because it only few viable lights in the game.

"Viable" meaning its broken. I play just fine with my Urbie without 12 mg's.
Just adjust the size on the thing so its two or three times the size.
I'm so sick of this stupid thing.

Edited by Vonbach, 07 July 2018 - 07:11 PM.

#168 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 07 July 2018 - 07:24 PM

View PostVonbach, on 07 July 2018 - 07:10 PM, said:

"Viable" meaning it's not an oversized brick with all the mobility of a dump truck. Seriously, out of all the Lights in game, a class known in BT for it's mobility, how many Lights in MWO actually have that mobility? Answer is, not many. Rescale hurt the mobility of all the 35 tonners and most of the 30 tonners. In fact, the only Light mechs to maintain a respectable amount of mobility while not being the size of Mediums are pretty much just the really small Lights(20 and 25 tonners), the Cheeto, and the newer Lights.

#169 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 07:30 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 05 July 2018 - 08:52 PM, said:

Yes it was. The top Lights prior to the re-scale were the Oxide, JR7-IIC, JR7-IIC-A, FS9-A, FS9-S, and ACH. The ACH vs. FS9 was something of a personal preference, though most tended to favor the ACH because the cXL was a slight edge the longer a game dragged; the FS9-A (8x SPL) had higher DPS and the FS9-S (5x MPL) had longer range. The JR7-IIC vs. the Oxide was decided by whether or not you were going to brawl or whether you were going to bomb. The IIC was used primarily for insta-gibbing 'Mechs from behind with gigantic 72-point alpha-strikes while the Oxide mixed it up in the hairball. Funny enough, the ACH was also used to mix it up in the hairball on MRBC Drop 1 (4x Light + 4x Medium per team). The JR7-IIC-A was a cSPL boat similar to the ACH and was, again, chosen according to user preference.

Ever since the ACH came out, it has been one of the top-performing Lights, if not the highest performing Light. It has consistently had a presence both in QP and in the competitive scene. While its old role as a cSPL duelist is obsolete for competitive play, it still sees use on larger maps in the same role the Spider 5K was briefly prominent in (before it got nerfed): ERLL harassment with MGs for quick crits in the end-game.

Top performing, yes. Prevalent? Depends. Up until engine desync, good Clan mechs like the Cheeto and the Timby pretty much stayed in the same place with regards to strength. They were good mechs with a combination of desirable traits and were very difficult to nerf, which meant that they stayed at exactly the same place strength-wise until engine desync finally allowed PGI to nerf them in a way that only affected them without inciting player outrage.

#170 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 07:32 PM

View PostVonbach, on 07 July 2018 - 07:10 PM, said:

You play the Urbie one the most tankiest lights in the game, the same urbie than can take a good beaten even with Adder/Kit Fox levels of speed.

Mate there very few viable lights in this game and you gonna tell me that having more viable options is a bad thing especially for a light that punishes bad play or position and usually have to wait til most of the enemy is chewed and open for it to finish off. While other lights that uses lasers and missile have more freedom and ability to harass whoever they like.

#171 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 08:09 PM

View PostRequiemking, on 07 July 2018 - 07:30 PM, said:

Top performing, yes. Prevalent? Depends. Up until engine desync, good Clan mechs like the Cheeto and the Timby pretty much stayed in the same place with regards to strength. They were good mechs with a combination of desirable traits and were very difficult to nerf, which meant that they stayed at exactly the same place strength-wise until engine desync finally allowed PGI to nerf them in a way that only affected them without inciting player outrage.

It was very prevalent. Arctic Cheetahs were represented in nearly every match in QP all the way until the cSPL got nerfed, as they were one of the few Lights that survived the rescale untouched and even the engine desync didn't hit them particularly hard relative to everything else. It's all about the cSPL.

#172 Mcgral18

• CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:00 PM

View PostDjPush, on 04 July 2018 - 06:19 AM, said:

You clearly have never played one nor against one. The machine gun as a weapon needs to be fixed not the Piranha. Light machine guns and Machine guns shouldn't do damage to mech armor. I would be fine with heavy MG's doing damage to mech armor but not the others. The MG damaging mech armor is a BS mechanic implemented a few years ago because the cryhards that don't play this game anymore said: "but.. but.. but.. MG's and Flamers need to be a thing." NO THEY DON'T! They are anti personnel weapons, not anti mech weapons. Do you see any people walking around?

Posted Image

View PostYeonne Greene, on 05 July 2018 - 09:20 AM, said:

Flea is bae, Piranha is for poseurs. Posted Image

Also Piranha is definitely the TIE in this arrangement, being on the evil side and all.

From where I stand, it is the Flea which is evil!

#173 Princeps Ibram Cain

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:01 PM

Well, to the date mi dual ac20 Fafnir has eaten many piranhas.

#174 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:02 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 07 July 2018 - 09:00 PM, said:

From where I stand, it is the Flea which is evil!

THEN YOU ARE LOST!

#175 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:53 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 07 July 2018 - 08:09 PM, said:

It was very prevalent. Arctic Cheetahs were represented in nearly every match in QP all the way until the cSPL got nerfed, as they were one of the few Lights that survived the rescale untouched and even the engine desync didn't hit them particularly hard relative to everything else. It's all about the cSPL.

Then you and I must have had very different experiences at the time. All I ever saw was Wolfhounds, Firestarters, and more Jenner Oxides than I can count. I very rarely saw an ACH, but on the off-chance that I did they usually were competent. I only really started seeing Cheetos commonly after the Rescale.

Edited by Requiemking, 07 July 2018 - 10:03 PM.

#176 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,014 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 08 July 2018 - 01:10 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 07 July 2018 - 08:09 PM, said:

I think the next clan laser change will hit clan lights really hard. They do not have any noteworthy quirks (ok, quirks on lights in general are a joke. The heavies still have the higher quirks. Balance my ******) and sometimes worse agility.

View PostRequiemking, on 07 July 2018 - 09:53 PM, said:

Then you and I must have had very different experiences at the time. All I ever saw was Wolfhounds, Firestarters, and more Jenner Oxides than I can count. I very rarely saw an ACH, but on the off-chance that I did they usually were competent. I only really started seeing Cheetos commonly after the Rescale.

Before the CSPL nerf, there were a lot of ACHs. Afterwards people tried CERSL and then the numbers dwindled down and down.

Oxide, Huginn, FS...all have been nerfed to hell and back over the years.

Edited by Bush Hopper, 08 July 2018 - 01:12 AM.

#177 Dogstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,722 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 08 July 2018 - 08:00 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 07 July 2018 - 08:27 AM, said:

If Light players were like you and had the same thought process because of Streaks, dual Gauss, and Heavy Gauss, the Light queue would be empty.

but the light queue _is_ empty

(or almost so a lot of the time anyway)

#178 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 08:11 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 07 July 2018 - 09:02 PM, said:

THEN YOU ARE LOST!

Both are evil. Fighting lights is more complicated than going to the same spot I go to every match and poke just outside useful range at the enemy pugs while waiting to see if my team carries me to victory and I can scavenge some kills or if I have to run off and hide to protect my KDR. Lights, especially fast lights and dangerous lights, come brawl with me and require quick aiming. Both of these things scare me and should be nerfed.

Though, really, MGs need dialed back a tiny bit and/or overall weapon health buffed. I'm all for lights being useful and dangerous but MGs are pretty much a must-have and that I don't like.

Edited by MischiefSC, 08 July 2018 - 08:12 AM.

#179 Mcgral18

• 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 08 July 2018 - 08:14 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 08 July 2018 - 08:11 AM, said:

Though, really, MGs need dialed back a tiny bit and/or overall weapon health buffed. I'm all for lights being useful and dangerous but MGs are pretty much a must-have and that I don't like.

Item health increase I can agree with

6-7 MGs still feel pathetic against structure, damage wise.
Which given the short range and 100% facetime doesn't quite make up for the risk.

12 on the Piranha can actually do something significant.

#180 NimoStar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 216 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 08:22 AM

The problem isn't PIR , nor MGs, it's MG BOATING

But since PGI's response to boating was ghost heat and MGs don't generate heat as per lore/tabletop, they haven't been able to come up with any solution but to nerf MGs in general.

my (stll pgi style) solution would be UN-nerf MGs (for mechs that run just a couple) while giving some continuous ("ghost") heat to firing over four. Something like 1 heat/sec per extra machinegun over 4 should work. This would not make PIR unplayable but it would need time to cool down, like other mechs.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users