2 Rotary Ac2's Shd-5M

11 replies to this topic

#1 M3560 35003663

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 02:56 AM

I tried this build and it's fantastic.
2 rotary ac2's and 2 medium lasers. Rest is jump jets and heat sinks.
You can shoot over hills since the guns are mounted high.

Rotaries are absolutely amazing. True, they give you an awful amount of face time, so you have to be extra careful, and know when to face your opponent and when to run, but it's worth it. The dakkaest weapon in the game!

#2 xe N on

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 July 2018 - 08:23 PM

Using the 5M as a platform for rotary is a waste of the -20% UAC jam chance. The 5M should be run with double UAC5 and 2 ERML or UAC20 with double ML.

#3 M3560 35003663

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 06:55 AM

View Postxe N on, on 04 July 2018 - 08:23 PM, said:

Using the 5M as a platform for rotary is a waste of the -20% UAC jam chance. The 5M should be run with double UAC5 and 2 ERML or UAC20 with double ML.

Implying there's a need to use two ultras if you can use two rotaries.

Rotarie's DPS is higher. It jams MUCH less frequently. Even with the -20% bonus, ultras jam all the damn time, I've tested them on the 5M.

So...there's really no reason to use ultras instead of rotaries on this mech, IMHO.
I havent' calculated the DMG, but I think two rotary AC2's have higher DPS than two Ultra AC5's, and don't forget the ultras will jam all the time.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 07:32 AM

Not sure if I'd use two RAC/2s when 2 RAC/5s could be possible.

But that's just me. Might give it a shot. (If the 5 can carry 3, I'd be using 3 RAC/2s instead...)

#5 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 05 July 2018 - 08:06 AM

View PostM3560 35003663, on 05 July 2018 - 06:55 AM, said:

Rotarie's DPS is higher. It jams MUCH less frequently. Even with the -20% bonus, ultras jam all the damn time, I've tested them on the 5M.

So...there's really no reason to use ultras instead of rotaries on this mech, IMHO.
I havent' calculated the DMG, but I think two rotary AC2's have higher DPS than two Ultra AC5's, and don't forget the ultras will jam all the time.

Except of course because Rotaries are harder to aim at specific components, are less useful at long range, have much lower burst damage, require lots of face time, are hotter than UAC's, and require a spin-up time making them almost impossible to snap shot with against mechs exposed for only a second or two.

Edited by Eisenhorne, 05 July 2018 - 08:06 AM.

#6 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:38 AM

Could also try the 2H with 3 RAC2s. :3

#7 xe N on

• 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:55 AM

View PostM3560 35003663, on 05 July 2018 - 06:55 AM, said:

UAC > RAC, especially on a medium mech. Because of the high face time your expose to enemy fire is extremely high, your survival rate will be low.

Edited by xe N on, 05 July 2018 - 09:59 AM.

#8 M3560 35003663

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 01:38 AM

View PostMechaBattler, on 05 July 2018 - 09:38 AM, said:

Could also try the 2H with 3 RAC2s. :3

He can do that?? Woah, gotta give it a try.

#9 PaquIS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 01:54 AM

IMO the only mech where rotaries are worth using is the Bushwacker due to its great frontal profile. That thing is meant to stare at the enemy. BSW-P2 with 2xRAC5+2ML or BSW-X1 with triple RAC2's.

Shadowhawk has pretty good shield arms and torso twist speed. You wanna use them or otherwise its just too easy to shoot off your side torso when you are staring the enemy. Plus 2xRAC2 just doesn't do a whole lot of damage. You want to either have three of them or dual RAC5 instead.

With UAC5's you can do quick double click snap shots and then twist making it far better option for it.

#10 xe N on

• 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 July 2018 - 04:35 AM

View PostPaquIS, on 06 July 2018 - 01:54 AM, said:

IMO the only mech where rotaries are worth using is the Bushwacker due to its great frontal profile. That thing is meant to stare at the enemy. BSW-P2 with 2xRAC5+2ML or BSW-X1 with triple RAC2's.

IMHO no medium mech is really suited for RACs. They have low armor and die fast if focused. not the best option for weapons that requires constant facing,

Take an Anhilator or something. If you in a slow assault you somewhat cannot withdraw anyway so best defense is to have high DPS and simply kill everything in direct line. At least you have the weight to boat enough ballistic weapons for that.

Medium mechs are agile enough to do peek-a-boo reducing their exposure time to enemy fire.

In Tier 1 nobody walks out in the open, so simply peeking over a hill with the SHD firing RACs don't work.

Edited by xe N on, 06 July 2018 - 04:39 AM.

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 05:43 AM

View Postxe N on, on 06 July 2018 - 04:35 AM, said:

In Tier 1 nobody walks out in the open, so simply peeking over a hill with the SHD firing RACs don't work.

We get it. And apparently they don't care. Some people aren't playing competitively. Some are just better at aiming over time than others.

And some just don't give a **** and want to have fun.

(You don't honestly think they're tier 1, do you?)

(If not, then why the **** do you care? Sharing the opinion once is enough and if they don't care, they don't care. You can preach the bible of tier 1 to people that do care and get a lot farther, after all if some people saw this and were tier 1, they're not getting glitter eyes of "OMG I wanna try it"...unless they're bored of the dull boring **** and just wanna have fun.)

#12 xe N on

• 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 July 2018 - 02:56 AM

View PostKoniving, on 06 July 2018 - 05:43 AM, said:

We get it. And apparently they don't care. Some people aren't playing competitively. Some are just better at aiming over time than others.

And some just don't give a **** and want to have fun.

(You don't honestly think they're tier 1, do you?)

(If not, then why the **** do you care? Sharing the opinion once is enough and if they don't care, they don't care. You can preach the bible of tier 1 to people that do care and get a lot farther, after all if some people saw this and were tier 1, they're not getting glitter eyes of "OMG I wanna try it"...unless they're bored of the dull boring **** and just wanna have fun.)

That somehow implies that I would play competitively. I don't. I play for fun and if I play, I play mediums mechs 90% of my time in MWO. However, I simply don't like to be carried by the group or some meat bag for other players. But I like to run my SHDs and GRFs - I wouldn't if I would be a pure competitive player. Because the SHDs are already not the top tier medium mechs.

This is a "new player help" forum. So, experienced player should give inexperienced players some advice. Any player has of course the right to play like they want. And maybe even some players are even better with certain loadouts that are not the most optimal one. However, I feel committed to comment other player's advises that do not show the full picture. Especially if this is about medium mechs that are already not very popular. Mainly, because they are no that easy to play like heavies or assaults.

After testing some builds based on some single point of view, new players might conclude that mediums mechs are not worthwhile to play. That would be sad.

And PS: That has nothing to do with tiers. Reaching Tier 1 easy. For some people it will take some time, but It is more an exp bar. So, finally any player regardless of the skill have the potential to reach tier 1.

Edited by xe N on, 08 July 2018 - 02:57 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users