Weapon Range Graphs Need A Big Improvement

18 replies to this topic

#1 Avlaen

• PipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 05:12 PM

Without looking at a wiki, how is a new player meant to know ANY of the range bands of ATMs for example?

The graph is abysmal the first number on the graph is 375, between that and 0 3 important range bands happen, and there is 0 numbers on where they happen in the graph. These are the kind of graphs that would fail any basic math class, they are impossible to read clearly or get any accurate numbers.

I know the ATMS have a min range of.. about 100ish? and then there dmg starts to drop around errr? no idea because the graph is terrible.

This needs a big improvement. make the graphs bigger. easier to read. or atleast put accurate numbers on stuff like minimum ranges or when the dmg bands of the ATM change.

Coupled with range nodes potentially having an effect on the bands i have no idea how my weapon performs at different ranges because of how bad these graphs are at giving information.

Edited by Avlaen, 04 July 2018 - 05:23 PM.

#2 arcana75

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 06:00 PM

Up till now I still don't know how range skill nodes affect the damage brackets for ATMs. And FFS why does the HUD show the max range for ATMs doing on 1 damage, instead of the optimal 3-damage max range??

#3 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 04 July 2018 - 11:48 PM

View Postarcana75, on 04 July 2018 - 06:00 PM, said:

Up till now I still don't know how range skill nodes affect the damage brackets for ATMs.

If skill maze has added +31 range, add +31 range to the brackets.

#4 Anastasius Foht

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 247 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 12:03 AM

Can we have range increase in laser weapons stats when we equip Target Comps too? It says it increase beam range (just confusing wording, its like use "MG velocity" and " full metal jacket bullet speed" for same thing, why not use "laser weapons range" definition in all same stuff, but it stacks with other UI controversial solutions). Also, why none of rocket weapons have their minimum shooting range revealed in their stats? I was wondering why so many new players shoot them at close range, but how do they know about it if they have only uninformative graph with random white line (no exact digits on it) that you cannot click and read, only wild guess left for you as option or read MWO wiki.

Edited by Anastasius Foht, 05 July 2018 - 12:07 AM.

#5 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 05 July 2018 - 12:08 AM

Ghost Heat limits for each weapon should also be shown in the Mech Lab.

#6 Anastasius Foht

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 247 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 12:11 AM

View PostAppogee, on 05 July 2018 - 12:08 AM, said:

Ghost Heat limits for each weapon should also be shown in the Mech Lab.

It shows for me in yellow triangle only after you equip that weapons ofc.

Edited by Anastasius Foht, 05 July 2018 - 12:12 AM.

#7 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 05 July 2018 - 12:18 AM

View PostAnastasius Foht, on 05 July 2018 - 12:11 AM, said:

It shows for me in yellow triangle only after you equip that weapons ofc.

I think Appo means the actual numbers for ghost heat.

Like HERE but in a decent format like Smurfy HAS (scroll half way down to 'Heat Penalties per Weapon'). It's nicely laid out, external to the game though.

#8 vonJerg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 330 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 12:58 AM

Ash, does it add % to bracket or the value that it extended max range?

#9 MikeBend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 536 posts
  • LocationUnderhive

Posted 05 July 2018 - 01:24 AM

The game lacks descriptions of everything. In what universe you alt-tab and google minimum range of rocket launcher or mechanics of stealth armor? Like its rocket science to add descriptions to the game. Half-baked alpha releases look better than this. And then we wonder, why new players leave.

#10 aardappelianen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 195 posts
  • Locationamsterdam

Posted 05 July 2018 - 02:27 AM

Yeah this and the velocity added by targeting computers should be included where applicable
And dont show ammo buffs for ammo not equipped please

#11 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 05 July 2018 - 04:02 AM

View PostvonJerg, on 05 July 2018 - 12:58 AM, said:

Ash, does it add % to bracket or the value that it extended max range?

It does, yes. But also the the minimum range. Test it in a private lobby with say a IS PPC or something. You can fire it at 92m and deal no dmg for instance if you have +13% range from the maze.

Not sure if it does that with mech quirks, it seems that follows a different system. Just the Skill Maze affects it.

I mean I could e borked the testing... And should've tested from 95m but it definitely wasn't working at 91-93m

#12 arcana75

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 05:30 AM

That's what gets me. If there is a minimum range say 90m or 120m, and I take range nodes, it increases that minimum range value? Doesn't that make the weapon worse? Shouldn't range nodes increase max range, but reduce min range?

#13 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 07:19 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 05 July 2018 - 04:02 AM, said:

It does, yes. But also the the minimum range. Test it in a private lobby with say a IS PPC or something. You can fire it at 92m and deal no dmg for instance if you have +13% range from the maze.

Not sure if it does that with mech quirks, it seems that follows a different system. Just the Skill Maze affects it.

I mean I could e borked the testing... And should've tested from 95m but it definitely wasn't working at 91-93m

Range finder is from the cockpit, some weapons are further forward and final range is based on the weapon.

#14 Avlaen

• PipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:34 AM

View Postarcana75, on 04 July 2018 - 06:00 PM, said:

Up till now I still don't know how range skill nodes affect the damage brackets for ATMs. And FFS why does the HUD show the max range for ATMs doing on 1 damage, instead of the optimal 3-damage max range??

Because PGI hates range information :P

#15 Roland09

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-shu
  • Tai-shu
  • 474 posts
  • LocationLuthien, Draconis Combine

Posted 05 July 2018 - 10:00 AM

Hm, seems I was wrong...

Edited by Roland09, 05 July 2018 - 10:02 AM.

#16 Jackal Noble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:32 AM

big thumbs up @ OP
This to me, is evidence that when subjected to enough subjective bludgeons that one just tends to let the other little things go.
This is one of those little things.

Much like how in game lore and detailed mech analysis are little things.

#17 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:33 AM

Some quality of life improvements would be welcome... oh and if they could fix the in game event board to where I don't have to go into the faction play area to be able to open it would be nice...

#18 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:44 AM

It would be really nice if you could mouse over the graph and it would tell you the coordinates of that value as range / damage, given your mechs full loadout and skills. Like, if I have a BLR-1G with a TCOMP V and max range skill, if I could mouse over the graph and see that my damage at 1300 meters is 5 damage per large laser hit, that would be some useful information to have.

#19 Avlaen

• PipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 07:04 PM

View PostEisenhorne, on 05 July 2018 - 11:44 AM, said:

It would be really nice if you could mouse over the graph and it would tell you the coordinates of that value as range / damage, given your mechs full loadout and skills. Like, if I have a BLR-1G with a TCOMP V and max range skill, if I could mouse over the graph and see that my damage at 1300 meters is 5 damage per large laser hit, that would be some useful information to have.

This would be a PERECT soloution, hover over my ER PPC at X on the line and it shows 1117M it does X damage. would be perfect!

16 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users