The Next Era

45 replies to this topic

#21 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 08:49 PM

I am not aware if the Fortress Republic did fell, the books ended just as it was formed. If a clan become the Il Clan then we can assume the Fortress did fall and the Republic is no more.

IMO the Republic was another of Weisman's bad ideas. I know he was basing this on the Roman Republic before the Empire but when the Dark Age game came about, we also had the Star Wars prequel trilogy at the same decade, and it felt like a take off of that. Towards the ending days of the Klix game, the narrative has turned against the Republic and the mini factions protecting it. Players didn't want the mini factions, they want the major factions, with Liao being the first to be reintroduced into the game by mounting a major incursion into Republic space. Turns out, Liao didn't destroy their mechs as per treaty like all the others, kept many hidden in caves until the time is right.

WIE was long gone since then, parts of it reunited with Clan Wolf and parts of it forming the Steel Wolf minifaction. Eventually Steel Wolf reunites with Clan Wolf and its leader Anastasia Kerensky become Khan after killing the CW's khan.

Neo Crusaders are back in force with the Clan Jade Falcon under Malvina Hazen invading the Republic, which in business terms was the narrative to get another faction, this time the Clan Jade Falcons, into the klix game.

As the business decisions were made to kill off the mini factions and the Republic, each of the major factions are returned, and the book narrative follows to support these changes.

As for Weisman, he just sold HBS to Palladium. Its just like he sold Wizkids to Topps, FASA to Microsoft. Every time he starts something, he sells it to someone else, and isn't around to finish and guide the franchise.

#22 MTier Slayed Up

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 717 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 08:54 PM

There's only so much the series can bring that would really shake things up, and i know mentioning anything extraterrestrial outside of Clans is blasphemy and even generic, but i definitely would like to see something that pits humanity against whatever that just poops on the current tech.

#23 Tetatae Squawkins

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,028 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Kaetetôã

Posted 05 July 2018 - 08:55 PM

One of the products coming out is called Shattered Fortress and we know the ilClan is coming so that's a pretty good indication of the Fortress falling.

#24 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 08:58 PM

Reboot, pls.

#25 The Lighthouse

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:09 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 05 July 2018 - 08:58 PM, said:

Reboot, pls.

Well, this is the best way to completely get rid of the greatest failure that is called Clans.

But I don't think this is going to happen.

#26 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:13 PM

View PostThe Lighthouse, on 05 July 2018 - 09:09 PM, said:

Well, this is the best way to completely get rid of the greatest failure that is called Clans.

But I don't think this is going to happen.

Their loss, I'm not buying any more material from the current continuity.

#27 The Lighthouse

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 10:00 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 05 July 2018 - 09:13 PM, said:

Their loss, I'm not buying any more material from the current continuity.

They definitely know they lost some people, but they also know they will lose more people if Clan is deleted from Battletech.

And they probably figured out keeping Clan is far more beneficial than eliminating it at this point.

Sigh, someone better than Weisman should take over Battletech is one of my wishes.

#28 Tetatae Squawkins

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 10:22 PM

View PostThe Lighthouse, on 05 July 2018 - 10:00 PM, said:

Sigh, someone better than Weisman should take over Battletech is one of my wishes.

Your wish was granted a long time ago.

I don't think Weisman has been involved with the TT stuff for probably a decade now. I could be wrong though.

#29 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 10:31 PM

They definitely know they lost some people, but they also know they will lose more people if Clan is deleted from Battletech.

Clans don't need to be deleted, they need to be re-written. All of the mechanical fluff also needs an overhaul.

#30 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 10:39 PM

Weisman's been out of the narrative loop for ages.

#31 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:10 PM

If we're talking next-next, as in after the dark ages and all that, I have an idea.. it goes a little something like this.

1) 64 years after the dark age: Clan Jade falcon is pissed that it can't produce enough seasoned warriors to fuel another invasion after tukayyid ban ends, so it does the unthinkable - it creates a new eugenics program that no longer creates clones of the best warriors, but takes the minds of those warriors and transfers them into an A.I. matrix, essentially copying them in an artificial way.

2) 65 Years after the Dark Ages (ADA) - True-made warriors, as they are now called, with fully artificial android bodies enter production, along with a new series of powerful mechs called the Iron Titan.

3) 68 ADA - In a daring raid, True-made warriors manage to infect Comstar's HPG network and spread their pirate code to every post-tukayyid produced mech everywhere. Only old model mechs are unaffected.

4) 69 ADA - A.I. uprising begins, as True-made A.I. sees itself as superior to biological lifeforms, and seeks to eradicate it completely. A war begins across the entire Inner Sphere and Clan space, as hundreds of thousands of mechs suddenly spring to life without a pilot on-board, and start shooting at everything that is biological.

#32 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:46 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 05 July 2018 - 08:58 PM, said:

Reboot, pls.

Dark Age was a reboot of Succession Wars era. CGL simply backed out of it and made it a part of the timeline.

View PostTetatae Squawkins, on 05 July 2018 - 10:22 PM, said:

Your wish was granted a long time ago.

I don't think Weisman has been involved with the TT stuff for probably a decade now. I could be wrong though.

He's not entirely wrong. I mean, it's still the Dark Age era, Dark Age being Weismann's "baby".

#33 Tetatae Squawkins

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 02:09 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 05 July 2018 - 11:10 PM, said:

If we're talking next-next, as in after the dark ages and all that, I have an idea.. it goes a little something like this.

1) 64 years after the dark age: Clan Jade falcon is pissed that it can't produce enough seasoned warriors to fuel another invasion after tukayyid ban ends, so it does the unthinkable - it creates a new eugenics program that no longer creates clones of the best warriors, but takes the minds of those warriors and transfers them into an A.I. matrix, essentially copying them in an artificial way.

2) 65 Years after the Dark Ages (ADA) - True-made warriors, as they are now called, with fully artificial android bodies enter production, along with a new series of powerful mechs called the Iron Titan.

3) 68 ADA - In a daring raid, True-made warriors manage to infect Comstar's HPG network and spread their pirate code to every post-tukayyid produced mech everywhere. Only old model mechs are unaffected.

4) 69 ADA - A.I. uprising begins, as True-made A.I. sees itself as superior to biological lifeforms, and seeks to eradicate it completely. A war begins across the entire Inner Sphere and Clan space, as hundreds of thousands of mechs suddenly spring to life without a pilot on-board, and start shooting at everything that is biological.

You could write official Battletech novels. This easily meets their standards of excellence.

#34 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 02:10 AM

I won't want a reboot. Reboots have been used and abused. I don't want to repeat the same story over and over like some broken record. I think its time to go forward, respect what we have in the past, good or worst, and roll that as part of the franchise identity. We can still harvest all the mechs from 3070 to 3140, and gives us the reason to come up with new canonical mechs. We can approach the forward timeline with better care.

#35 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,100 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 02:39 AM

what, no aliensguy.gif

#36 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,100 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 02:54 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 05 July 2018 - 11:10 PM, said:

that sounds like battlestar galactica (redux).

Edited by LordNothing, 06 July 2018 - 02:56 AM.

#37 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 02:56 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 06 July 2018 - 02:54 AM, said:

that sounds like battlestar galactica.

Cylon Novacat.

Posted Image

#38 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,100 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 03:01 AM

did they ever figure out how to make jumpships again? im not that far into the books, i actually shelved them to read all the expanse novels *drools*.

#39 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 05:27 AM

Advance the timeline and revert the story back to "smaller" fights throughout the established maps....kind of a re-boot of MW4 "Mercenary's" because we'd be able to use mixed tech on smaller missions.......lots of smaller missions all over the place fighting IS or Clan equally.... You'd have to allow players three separate account under one pilot name: an IS, a Clan and a mercenary account all of them independent of each other.

#40 Tetatae Squawkins

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 05:42 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 06 July 2018 - 03:01 AM, said:

did they ever figure out how to make jumpships again? im not that far into the books, i actually shelved them to read all the expanse novels *drools*.

That's one of those lovely inconsistencies in BT. In most of the earlier fiction it was said there were only a few thousand Jumpships in the Inner Sphere and that they could not produce any as of 3025. Other sources have changed that to be a few tens of thousands of Jumpships with maybe some very limited production.

Either way Jumpship/Dropship/Aerofighter production started increasing after the discovery of the Helm Memory Core. And eventually everyone started building warships again after the Clans invaded.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users