The Champion Art Looks Terrible

BattleMechs Camo Spec News

69 replies to this topic

#41 KoalaBrownie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:57 PM

View PostVancer2, on 12 July 2018 - 08:49 PM, said:

Instead of bashing them, you should be like "Hey, I noticed how the art isnt what it used to be, so I took the pleasure of making my own for you. What do you think of X?"

What a useless endeavour that would be. You think PGI is going to change their art assets because someone drew something they think is better?

#42 Vancer2

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 07:32 PM

View PostKoalaBrownie, on 12 July 2018 - 08:57 PM, said:

What a useless endeavour that would be. You think PGI is going to change their art assets because someone drew something they think is better?

This is why progress doesnt happen, because of negative people like you. I used to be like you, but I changed. Instead of saying stuff, I simply don't say anything. If you have anything to contribute do it. If not, shut up. You're not helping anything. You're simply hurting them. This game is provided to you FREE. If you do not like it DON'T PLAY IT. Its that easy,

#43 thievingmagpi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 07:34 PM

why would they waste money designing new assets? just dump a ton of old ones on each other and go at it

#44 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 13 July 2018 - 11:37 PM

the style of the Arms and in this Position make its ugly and terrible looking and make the Arms useless (hey its can only rotate the arms to a Single axis)...
Posted Image

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 13 July 2018 - 11:40 PM.

#45 razenWing

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 08:28 AM

View PostOld MW4 Ranger, on 13 July 2018 - 11:37 PM, said:

the style of the Arms and in this Position make its ugly and terrible looking and make the Arms useless (hey its can only rotate the arms to a Single axis)...
Posted Image

Angular slump is one way, but I would keep the wing feature and not have connectors.

Either that or just keep the wings as vertical, but drastically reduce the size to an ordinary gun pod. That makes sense too because the only reason the gun pod looks like that huge rectangular box right now, is because that huge box is supposed to be the engine for LAMS variant, which doesn't exist. So why would you have engines where there's none?

#46 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 14 July 2018 - 08:53 AM

View PostOld MW4 Ranger, on 13 July 2018 - 11:37 PM, said:

When I did some theorycrafting to my satisfaction and ordered the base pack, the arms were always stripped of armour and used to shield the torsos. Heck, only two of the six variants have weapon hardpoints in the arms. For the variants without hardpoints in the arms they offer torso protection while for the variants with arm hardpoints they offer a decent peeking profile and torso protection.

And part of the Champion's design is its wing-like arms, so there's that too. The Champion is a bit of an odd duck, and PGI's design captures it well.

#47 Alexandra Hekmatyar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Marshal
  • Marshal
  • 774 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 14 July 2018 - 09:05 AM

Champion in a nutshell.

Posted Image

#48 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 14 July 2018 - 09:40 AM

View PostAlexandra Hekmatyar, on 14 July 2018 - 09:05 AM, said:

Champion in a nutshell.

Posted Image

probably closer to this....
Posted Image

#49 razenWing

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 10:19 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 14 July 2018 - 09:40 AM, said:

probably closer to this....
Posted Image

Honestly, I think that will look better, lol

#50 Dogstar

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,725 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 14 July 2018 - 10:31 AM

I think that the old phrase 'you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear' applies to the Champion.

Alex is a great artist but the source material he has to work with is definitely one of the five or ten worst looking mechs _ever_ and it's just not possible to get it looking good, adequate possibly, but never good.

That's why I can't understand what on earth PGI are doing? Why are they pulling mechs out of the bottom of the ugly list when there are so many more better looking ones to choose from? Nostalgia? Or does the average mech buyer just buy everything regardless?

#51 Sader Rykan

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 11:09 AM

Posted Image
It felt super top heavy and unbalanced, so I gave it a 5 minute hatchet job in Photoshop.

#52 Dogstar

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,725 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 14 July 2018 - 12:06 PM

View PostSader Rykan, on 14 July 2018 - 11:09 AM, said:

Posted Image
It felt super top heavy and unbalanced, so I gave it a 5 minute hatchet job in Photoshop.

Suprisingly it actually looks a bit better - probably because the leg to waist to top proportions are more even

That said I think this quote, whoever said it is about right: 60t Nightstar

Edited by Dogstar, 14 July 2018 - 12:07 PM.

#53 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 14 July 2018 - 12:12 PM

The artwork look like a FASA Champion. Well done. It was one of my most played mech in mw3.

#54 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 01:46 AM

View PostSader Rykan, on 14 July 2018 - 11:09 AM, said:

Posted Image

Somehow I like this a bit more. It looks more like a mech instead of an airplane with two thinny legs.

#55 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 15 July 2018 - 03:07 AM

If the legs get a rethink whether it be reverse, digitigrade, or just shorter. It would be much more palatable. But again, look at what Alex was handed to work with.

#56 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 03:38 PM

I'd just say that there is a radical redesign of the Champion in the fan made TRO:3063

Posted Image

I like Alex's more classical interpretation better, because he adhered to the spirit of the late 80ies TRO:2750. The fanart is almost like a reseen redesign; you can see the basic concept or idea of the Champion but not much else. It's trying too hard.

Alex's Champion retains the weird charme and fits into MWO. This is quite an achievement, although the result naturally cannot win a popularity contest.

#57 Ghostrider0067

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 397 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationChandler, AZ, USA

Posted 15 July 2018 - 06:36 PM

I've never understood the utter fascination with this mech and to be honest, in my subjective opinion, the version represented by the concept game art is FAR better looking than the original from the old school TRs. To each their own and all, but come on.

#58 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 15 July 2018 - 06:56 PM

These doesn't look like weird wings to me like the other artworks, but weird crane arms. The arms look really thicker than what was shown on prior artworks, and they kinda look like it's crane arms because of the winches at the end of the arms.

Before you say something, no i don't think the art looks terrible.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 15 July 2018 - 06:59 PM.

#59 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 07:45 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 15 July 2018 - 03:38 PM, said:

I'd just say that there is a radical redesign of the Champion in the fan made TRO:3063

Posted Image

I like Alex's more classical interpretation better, because he adhered to the spirit of the late 80ies TRO:2750. The fanart is almost like a reseen redesign; you can see the basic concept or idea of the Champion but not much else. It's trying too hard.

Alex's Champion retains the weird charme and fits into MWO. This is quite an achievement, although the result naturally cannot win a popularity contest.

I like this fan design even more.

#60 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 11:27 PM

I like the arms on the original art but the center looks way better on PGI's art.

I'd love to see a crossing of the two.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users