Solaris 7 Season 2 Event

71 replies to this topic

#41 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 04:12 PM

The Solaris MM doesn't work because there are not enough players to feed the Solaris MM.

There are not enough players to feed the Solaris MM because the Solaris MM doesn't work.

I think the root of the problem is that if the difference in rank is too high, the lower ranked player would rather refuse the match then be forced to play it, have no fun playing it, and finally be punished with a rank loss for having being forced to have no fun playing it.

#42 KrocodockleTheBooBoxLoader-GetIn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 337 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 05:03 PM

Remember that time PGI introduced Long Tom Artillery? That was a headscratcher. Infinite clan nerfs also a head scratcher. Current state of Solaris has some headscratchers. Buffing LRMs (essentially rewarding bad players) also a headscratcher. PGI needs game design help. Only thing they've done well is mech art. They make some beautiful machines

#43 ShooteyMcShooterson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 290 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 06:30 PM

I redeemed my rewards through the website and it never was injected into my account after a match. I eventually shut the game off entirely and rebooted it, then the items appeared in my inventory, but without the little blue pop up announcing their injection.

#44 Bwah Ha Ha

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 07:01 PM

Tried it, 1 win, 6 losses. The only good game was the one I won. Not because I won but it was pretty evenly matched. I was surprised when I did win. Won't ever be playing it again since I was so far overmatched in the other 6.

#45 plodder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 996 posts
  • Locationbetwixt the seen and heard, underneath the upperhanded, above the underhanded. Sunlit with a cloudy background.

Posted 18 July 2018 - 07:19 PM

Quick play is not how I imagined Solaris.

I imagined the community being able to watch the matches, maybe wager c bills on the outcome.

I also thought that there would be an actual roster board you could call out players to challenge, or that others could request, even sponsor.

MW4 had a battle arena that pitted all against all. Though not lore as I know, still a wonderful game mode.
Besides there not being enough players playing Solaris, the worst thing for me was the Piranha build that could destroy 180 tons of leg armor and win. that is some broken stuff.

I am far from elite, I am a 1 kdr in Solaris, .8 something in regular quick play. If it were not for unfathomable broken Piranha machine gun build and lack of opponents, I would play more.

Just my thoughts.. GL HF

#46 P0607

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 07:25 PM

Just got thrown for the login screen when I was winning solaris match. And surely this didn't happen to my opponent. That was almost as frustrating as hitting a mech and not dealing any damage when we both had 300 ping some time ago in season 1. PGI PLS FIX. Such things in a 1v1 mode are making me rage so much that I'm here to cry on the forum. Won't even touch on anything else here, just put players on optimal server and don't boot them to the login screen.

#47 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 07:58 PM

View PostHumble Dexter, on 18 July 2018 - 04:12 PM, said:

The Solaris MM doesn't work because there are not enough players to feed the Solaris MM.

There are not enough players to feed the Solaris MM because the Solaris MM doesn't work.

I think the root of the problem is that if the difference in rank is too high, the lower ranked player would rather refuse the match then be forced to play it, have no fun playing it, and finally be punished with a rank loss for having being forced to have no fun playing it.

I haven't seen any significant drop as the player of far lower rank in a match, and if the difference is big enough the higher ranked player can get a negligible elo bump (think 1 point). If I get matched with someone higher I see it as an opportunity to get a lot of elo for little risk.

#48 GamerPro4000

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • LocationSian

Posted 18 July 2018 - 08:07 PM

I JUST FINISHED MY 7 2v2 GAMES FOR MY ER LARGE WARHORN! I waited in LFG for 30 minutes and randomly inviting people to my group and asked if they are willing to join a 2V2 game with me. I had 7 rejects until i finally found one. We were able to win the 7 games and I just made a new friend on MWO. GL and stay persistent. I played in DIVISION 3 and there were 2-6 teams in que at the time.

Edited by GamerPro4000, 18 July 2018 - 08:10 PM.

#49 Garran Tana

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 144 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 18 July 2018 - 09:21 PM

Done everything day one (from my time zone perspective). Kinda sucks to have nothing now.

#50 Cazador88

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 125 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 18 July 2018 - 09:30 PM

View PostBrauer, on 18 July 2018 - 09:16 AM, said:

The Uziel 3P is actually pretty good in its division when built properly. A couple of players in the top 20 last season ran it. It got me into the top 500 for GXP with a variation on their build (I haven't quite tried their exact build). I don't know that I ever ran into a cicada in it, but that match-up doesn't strike me as bad at all.

I do get your frustration with how the divisions can make it hard if you don't have the right mech for a div. I have that problem in div 4 myself.

I didn't mean the mech itself is bad but the thing that we can't change anything on a trial one. I just mentioned the Cicada because that was probably the shortest fight i had. Guy blinked at me about like 2 times and the poor Uziel was dead instantly. I actually had fun in the one we got for accepting the new stuff because of the GDPR but back then i was short on mechbays and cash so sold it. Can't remember if that was the same variant or not though.

#51 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 09:31 PM

View PostBrauer, on 18 July 2018 - 09:16 AM, said:

The Uziel 3P is actually pretty good in its division when built properly. A couple of players in the top 20 last season ran it. It got me into the top 500 for GXP with a variation on their build (I haven't quite tried their exact build). I don't know that I ever ran into a cicada in it, but that match-up doesn't strike me as bad at all.

I do get your frustration with how the divisions can make it hard if you don't have the right mech for a div. I have that problem in div 4 myself.

I've seen the 3P with dual LB10s or a pair of snubs and hmgs and the 5P with an MRM80 build. I would run a Vindi 1AA with an MRM40 and triple SPL. Nearly as tanky as the 1X which got moved to division 6, only giving up 5% of missile cooldown speed to an MRM build on it. In division 6, my 1X with a 9 win 4 loss record currently has me ranked 68th. I had been 4 and 1 and ranked 45 earlier yesterday and probably should have just switched to a different division once I had achieved that to hit the 7 matches for the event as I'm sure many players will do once they've pulled off a solid rank / win streak.

Edited by Dee Eight, 19 July 2018 - 01:13 AM.

#52 Mikayshen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 416 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 10:02 PM

Got my 1 win in each division over and done with. Now I'll wait for the Solaris 7 Season 3 launch event.

#53 GamerPro4000

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • LocationSian

Posted 18 July 2018 - 10:12 PM

View PostHumble Dexter, on 18 July 2018 - 04:12 PM, said:

Try playing a different mech in another division. There might be more players there.

#54 P0607

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 03:59 AM

View PostBrauer, on 18 July 2018 - 07:58 PM, said:

I haven't seen any significant drop as the player of far lower rank in a match, and if the difference is big enough the higher ranked player can get a negligible elo bump (think 1 point). If I get matched with someone higher I see it as an opportunity to get a lot of elo for little risk.

But as a higher ranked player in a lower tonnage mech when you are forced to play with a lower ranked player in a metamech and make mistake you lose a ****ton of points, while it didn't even require anything special to do on his side. This really demotivates you from playing any more and going up. It takes effort to gain those 3-5 points every time, but it only takes 1 mistake to lose 30 points if you want to play mech you enjoy playing and not just a metamech. Not even talking about weight in the divisions and those cheesy std100 ac2 turrets,

#55 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 06:21 AM

View PostP0607, on 19 July 2018 - 03:59 AM, said:

But as a higher ranked player in a lower tonnage mech when you are forced to play with a lower ranked player in a metamech and make mistake you lose a ****ton of points, while it didn't even require anything special to do on his side. This really demotivates you from playing any more and going up. It takes effort to gain those 3-5 points every time, but it only takes 1 mistake to lose 30 points if you want to play mech you enjoy playing and not just a metamech. Not even talking about weight in the divisions and those cheesy std100 ac2 turrets,

Pretty much why I don't bother with solaris outside of events now. But also... why I question why the hell PGI doesn't replace psr with an elo system so Tier 1/2/3 wouldn't have so many crap players with crap builds floating to the top of the pool. I can think of a large # of players who've never managed a kdr above 0.something in 18-24 months of play, yet have been promoted to Tier 1 & 2.

#56 Metal_Onslaught

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 66 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 06:21 AM

Waiting for a match in lower divisions is excruciating.

#57 ShooteyMcShooterson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 290 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 06:28 AM

There should be fewer mechs available in Solaris, so that there can be fewer divisions. No more than 4, preferably 3.

Thoughts?

#58 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 07:18 AM

View PostP0607, on 19 July 2018 - 03:59 AM, said:

Yeah that is a good point. I am no 1v1 master, but managed to get to my highest elo yet in Div1 last night. It was the first time I had gotten ranked high enough that wins weren't worth the time (three in a row netted me +1, +1, and +7). So I stopped dropping. In the best case that might discourage folks from staying in to wreck less skilled players and players with worse loadouts/worse mechs. With the new system I bet I would have lost 100+ on a loss, probably deservedly so.

#59 CptnHero

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 07:25 AM

View PostMummyPig, on 18 July 2018 - 09:06 AM, said:

Seriously - fix what you broke in this latest patch before trying to cover it up with yet another series of events! Ebon Jag is wrecked following a mysterious b@lls up that have left them virtually unplayable; you've acknowledged this - but emphasis is on not doing anything to repair what shouldn't have been touched in the first place.

I know this is off topic, but after your post I checked my ebj and seriously, what is this ****? Can´t find words for that. Do they never test a patch bevor launching it?

Edited by CptnHero, 19 July 2018 - 10:22 AM.

#60 ShooteyMcShooterson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 290 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 08:12 AM

What's wrong with the EBJ? lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users