Faction Play - A New Hope (Pgi Taking Input)

1163 replies to this topic

#901 Crockdaddy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSaint Louis

Posted 21 October 2018 - 04:39 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 01 August 2018 - 07:15 PM, said:

https://mwomercs.com...oming-podcasts/

Note from Paul above, FP getting attention, maybe.

Let's try to get the ideas together into one simple/succinct product by the time the thread goes up.

I'll collate and update this first post as we go, ideas etc. And yeah I will make an executive call on what to put in and what not... That call will revolve around:
  • Pie-in-the-sky ideas will be skipped as they convlute.
  • Stuff that is simply 'too hard'.
  • KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid, the ideas needs to be quick wins.
All of this of course won't hold a purpose until AFTER the podcast/town hall about what Paul's actual vision/idea is. Given we have no idea what that is right now.

I see Ash is still carrying the torch. Keep it up mate. Myself and a few other retired NS guys were discussing the fun we had during the old days of House Kurita and Phase 1 CW.

#902 blackbullitt

• PipPip
  • General III
  • General III
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 05:59 PM

i really cant understand what they are doing? its like no ones at the wheel?

#903 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 10 November 2018 - 01:50 PM

View PostCrockdaddy, on 21 October 2018 - 04:39 PM, said:

I see Ash is still carrying the torch. Keep it up mate. Myself and a few other retired NS guys were discussing the fun we had during the old days of House Kurita and Phase 1 CW.

I'm done Paul over the head with it at Mechcon lol.

But yeah, RIP the good times when teams were plentiful and the fights we're epic

#904 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 10 November 2018 - 02:19 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 10 November 2018 - 01:50 PM, said:

I'm done Paul over the head with it at Mechcon lol.

But yeah, RIP the good times when teams were plentiful and the fights we're epic

You think it's ever possible to return to those good ol' times? If the devs actually put some effort into FW?

#905 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 10 November 2018 - 04:53 PM

View PostEisenhorne, on 10 November 2018 - 02:19 PM, said:

You think it's ever possible to return to those good ol' times? If the devs actually put some effort into FW?

What would it take though?

Tech equivalence isXL surviving one ST, with greater non-lethal penalties. Returning players hesitate on purchasing LFE to make their mechs slower while toning down their damage output.

A FP MM emphasis at actually matching up more large unit size elements vs large unit size elements and small unit/pug vs small unit/pug. Including a running billboard showing major forces currently in play in the last hour.

Highly prized planets taking more battles to capture, both total battles and capture point. A reason/meaning to aim for said planet(s). Flesh out planetary information.

FP events. Allow multifaction engagements other than the standard all Clan vs all IS, or one House/Clan vs one House/Clan. Clan+House vs Clan+Clan. Steiner+Wolf vs CJF+CSJ, Rasalhague+ Ghost vs CSJ+CJF, etc, etc. Coding to allow subcontracting w/o leaving your actual faction/unit is likely beyond PGI abilities, especially with the current coding. Imagine a pug group dropping with IS pilots w/IS mechs and their Clan allies dropping in their Clan mechs but each faction still locked in their max tonnage.

#906 Kyrie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 07:50 PM

Hmm, this thread... confirms what we all knew, there is no buy-in from PGI to re-develop FP into what it should have been.

#907 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 755 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 11:17 PM

Faction Play - No Hope (PGI Ignoring input)

Edited by Windscape, 10 November 2018 - 11:18 PM.

#908 Syso69

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 71 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 12 November 2018 - 07:56 AM

Faction Play 3.0 when????!! with special PvE mode for Bacon O7

#909 Rebel Ace Fryslan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 439 posts
  • LocationAd Astra

Posted 14 November 2018 - 08:21 AM

I could write many things, but i'll keep it to 1.

Make QP only for Solo players:
  • Will move groups to go into solaris and FP.
  • Will give inforcement hat FP is a group game.
  • will keep number of players up in the needed sections of the game to get a drop.

#910 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 14 November 2018 - 08:28 AM

View PostRebel Ace Fryslan, on 14 November 2018 - 08:21 AM, said:

• will keep number of players up in the needed sections of the game to get a drop.

While I would very much like this, I know a lot of people who would not. I never really saw the appeal of group QP personally, but some people don't like piloting heavy or assault mechs, and don't like how FP forces you to bring at least a few of them.

#911 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 14 November 2018 - 11:11 PM

View PostRebel Ace Fryslan, on 14 November 2018 - 08:21 AM, said:

Way to further kill off the population.

No thanks.

#912 Rebel Ace Fryslan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 439 posts
  • LocationAd Astra

Posted 16 November 2018 - 03:34 AM

It will also allow quicker drops in QP, because it only has single players.

#913 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 16 November 2018 - 10:20 AM

No.

#914 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 12:30 PM

I second and third that No.

Group queue has its own little population, most of which won't touch FP with a 10 foot pole. Those players would literally quit the game.

#915 J a y

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Trinary Nova Captain
  • Trinary Nova Captain
  • 125 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 12:30 PM

The whole lot of events that have been going on helped spike the FW population momentarily, but I'm not catching any players sticking around long-term, or at least enjoying the game mode.

Even with 40 or so pilots, ISMO is having a tough time getting on. Attempts to sync drop with enemies usually results in one group getting a drop against pugs, and the other getting a ghost drop.

Fingers crossed for mechcon, but... yeah.

#916 Major Major Catch 22

• PipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 07:19 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 02 August 2018 - 10:19 AM, said:

Thanks for starting this justcallme A S H.

The only reason I mentioned that we'd be taking input after the FP podcast is because there are quite a few restraints that we have to work under. Saying "turn MWO:FP into WOW in 'Mechs" isn't going to happen. However, there are still things we can do and ideas that you guys come up with that we can investigate.

Here's my personal thoughts as to what we can do with what is currently in FP:
- A while ago, we removed all the penalties for switching factions. Personally I think this is a good thing. My main thought on this is to move forward with this notion where ANYONE wanting to play Faction Play can choose their path of participation on a per match level.
- Adding lore and decisions to your participation in any given conflict. For example, if the conflict is between Clan and IS, when I select a planet that is in contention, I will choose at that point whether I want to play as Clan or IS. If the conflict is between IS and IS, I can choose the faction I want to back. Even as a Kurita Loyalist, I can choose to fight in a conflict between Steiner and Merik and not have to be penalized for doing so. I also want a story or story arch to tell me WHY I'm going to be fighting.
- I'd like to see the MM put everyone into a singular bucket and fill teams according to group size first, followed by solo players filling the gaps.
- We will be investigating large scale events like Tukayyid for smaller conflicts which pull everyone into the fight. An example of this, would be something like a 3 day event over Planet XYZ with rewards and notoriety at stake.
- I'd like your thoughts on unit coffer use in general. I'm not sure if we will be able to create something like a unit inventory where you buy 'Mechs that unit members can 'borrow' 'Mechs from, but what are some other possibilities of c-bill use in general?

This is just off the top of my head at the moment but should give you an idea of what I'm working with.

When it comes to new maps/modes, this is a resource issue we have to deal with here and would have to be something monumental in reception before it would gain traction.

I'll continue to monitor this thread as we prep the FP podcast and will pop in to address suggestions about what can and cannot be done.

Thanks again for the thread.

-Paul

Dear Paul

Thanks for listening (reading).

Lots of thoughtful advice by veteran players, thankyou guys.

Can i just suggest if we can:

Give C bills to other unit members
or
Buy consumables for unit members to take
or
buy parts/ weps/ engines for a unit trade

I know buying mechs may brake the income stream, but will parts / consumables be ok?

Can unit tags be made, and bought for cbills through unit coffer to be given out by generals for rewards?

creative idea like
"pug hereder" to be put on someones back in unit colours/
thanks

#917 Major Major Catch 22

• PipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 07:30 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 02 August 2018 - 01:05 PM, said:

Note.. the snip doesn't mean I'm not reading or interested in what you said.. just an easier way of me quoting you without the large body of text.

Recruitment tax was exactly as you explained it... a way to minimize massive unit creation. It's something we sat for a very long time mulling over and trying to figure out best path to target. What led up to the final decision was that we needed a way to stop units from forming massive units filled with various players and alt accounts. The unit size was the biggest issue. We discussed capping unit size but we all know that that route will cause a lot of noise out there in the community. Why? Where do we draw the cap? 24 players? 48? 64,128,256, over 9000?

The only way to do it was to hit the bottom line of merc units. The all mighty c-bill.

There's another approach we 'could' do (Russ might come over here and turn my PC off saying stuff like this), have a unit size tax pull directly from the unit coffers. For example, once a week, we will pull 150,000CB (number pulled out of thin air for example purposes) per player in your unit at it's maximum size over that 7 day period. (This prevents units from kicking a bunch of players just before tax day and then re-inviting them). This way, in your case where you mentioned the new players joining, you and your unit make the decision if that new person is worth 150,000CB/week. If he leaves, your entire unit saves 150,000/week after he leaves. What does this 150,000CB go to? Well it's common knowledge that a typical MechWarrior uses 2.5 rolls of toilet paper, 4.5 GB of data on their mobile plans, 130 minutes of HPG long distance calling etc. (I.e. logistics cost).

Thoughts on that?

Hey Paul
why dont you cap unit size by active droppers?

That means if you play 1- 2- or 3 matches in a week it costs you "X" c bills
and if you dont play then it costs a maintenance fee?

Maybe also the more you drop with your unit mates the more it costs "stops stacked teams?" and or, helps solo drops and balanced play?
(I know this may be antithetical to some)??

thanks

#918 Major Major Catch 22

• PipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 07:38 PM

View PostHorseman, on 02 August 2018 - 02:11 PM, said:

No. No faction-specific buffs to mech or weapon performance.

I Know its been said before but,

What about loyalists discount for faction made mechs ie steiner=atlas

And you have to be a certain rank to get the discount. to stop PPL farming jumping around?

thanks

#919 Major Major Catch 22

• PipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 07:47 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 02 August 2018 - 04:21 PM, said:

Two things:

The new system will be driven by the event system. This means every event will be manually created but allow us to create events far out into the future. Essentially a long forecasting DM.

Nothing elite ever came out of Avalon. Posted Image

RP is a major driving force behind what I'm looking at for FP.

Does a dynamic add for faction warfare help where you know before cueing what type of map and mode, helps solos, pugs etc get decks in order.

This is the biggest disadvantage fighting 12 man who have long lobby time to plan a strategy
thanks

#920 Major Major Catch 22

• PipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 07:52 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 02 August 2018 - 04:43 PM, said:

Fine... if this is what you guys think will work for base defense in Incursion... I'll put it on the task list. However, if I hear any noise about it.. I'm pointing at you guys! Posted Image

@Paul

I like to discuss based on stats/ facts rather than opinions and experience.
Do you have any stats on base rushes vs kill wins on incursion?
This would really help perspective and good discussion.

(IMO being in professional bodies etc. that emotive subjective personal experience whilst personally valid and squeaky wheel syndrome could better be responded to by correct facts)

thanks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users