Ya Ever Think Maybe It Is Summer?

18 replies to this topic

#1 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:42 PM

I don't get it, A F2P game that made it 5+ years, that i know i'v played more hours than any other over that time as i know many of you have. Sure, they have done tons of things that i would of done different..

(short list, Skipped CW till 5 years in, Added more maps, Buffed STD engines to add structure, Buffed IS XL engines to get a bit faster twist, Not buffed LRM's with blind targeting, but buffed them with Speed of lock when you grab your own and lower flight. Did something for group play to encourage it with bonus C-bills/XP so players would want to join group Que even as an extra. Did something to stop boating like make a single SRM 6 fly tighter than say 4 SRM 6's at once.) i have lots of ideas like many that would make the game better in my mind but how is right?

Ohh yea.. made power draw work! (go with 40 points but i should make a whole thread about that)

But hey it's summer and So many games have taken a hit over the last 2 weeks, BT and MWO among them because NMS made a major come back. I've seen many MWO players sucked into it.. But even still, peak hours are still over 1k on steam. My point is, why all the doom and gloom for a game that many have played more than any other of the last bunch of years. But even NMS with 100k online this past weekend has a few thousand saying it is the worst game ever made, with a team that has no clue.. I guess as the old saying goes, you can't please everyone..

Last but not least, it's not balance that bugs me, it's more pugs not working together these days,.. Not sure why that is, any thoughts?

#2 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:46 PM

Bah! Humbug!

I'm chucking some more hand-launched gliders outside ... on the beach. Posted Image

#3 -Natural Selection-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,631 posts
  • Locationdirty south

Posted 02 August 2018 - 05:48 PM

I have seen more people I know uninstall this game in the last month or 2 than ever before. Not quit playing, but uninstall. Between balance changes, stock mech champ crap and crazy wait times most of the good players have just moved on. it isnt just a summer thing imo.

Edited by Mickey Knoxx, 02 August 2018 - 05:50 PM.

#4 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,072 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 06:29 PM

ive been going outside a lot trying to make sure a certain kitten doesn't get lost. little escape artist that one. also kittens are chick magnets.

#5 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 02 August 2018 - 08:54 PM

Of course in summer people are busy doing something else. During other seasons Mercstar often drop with two full groups on prime time, but nowadays we are lucky to have one full group. Everyone is travelling and vacationing--cause they are mostly grown ups with money.

Edited by El Bandito, 02 August 2018 - 08:54 PM.

#6 Tetatae Squawkins

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,028 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Kaetetôã

Posted 02 August 2018 - 09:32 PM

Honestly. I've seen this excuse used before in other games that were doing poorly.

#7 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 02 August 2018 - 09:43 PM

View PostMickey Knoxx, on 02 August 2018 - 05:48 PM, said:

Not quit playing, but uninstall.

That's impressive. I have no idea how I'd keep playing if I uninstalled. How do your friends manage it?

Posted Image

#8 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 09:45 PM

I use Warframe as a yardstick, and I consider this game a gold standard for an F2P game.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I don't think summer has anything to do with it.

#9 Mister Glitchdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 431 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 09:51 PM

I always wonder at all the chatter over player numbers anyway. What control does anyone think we really have over that sort of thing? Some of us will move on sooner or later, and some of us will be waiting for a match on the day they unplug the servers. Whichever you are, just be that

I do think its important for PGI to understand that endless nerfs aren't good for a game, "balance" notwithstanding. But having said that, if you've been here long enough, you've heard all of this doomsay before, yet here we all still are.

View PostJC Daxion, on 02 August 2018 - 04:42 PM, said:

Last but not least, it's not balance that bugs me, it's more pugs not working together these days,.. Not sure why that is, any thoughts?

I've dropped with some real dopey pug squads these days myself. I try to remember that I have plenty of crummy games, and in those matches, I'm the pug everyone else is complaining about.

#10 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 03 August 2018 - 05:06 AM

Haven't people been making the claim that the game is dying and will be dead soon since beta? You know maybe it's actually happening this time, but people have cried wolf so many times that I can't even take this subject seriously anymore.

#11 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 05:06 AM

Mature, "Brown Sea" game cycle.... Summer cycle and it will bottom out and then flatten in September.... Frost bring players and school......if it doesn't go up though....

If they don't change anything else and make it worse, I've yet to see anything remotely interesting to call the retired players back yet? Gee, another new mech.......oh look, another "low value" event.... PGI really needs to do something "first world" to reclaim those of us that play at most, events only or a day a month...

Other games I play do just that: "specific and direct attempts at reclaiming lost populations..." I wonder why PGI hasn't even attempted a marketing campaign to do this???

#12 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 03 August 2018 - 06:39 AM

PGI has an ad budget of exactly 37 cents.
So they buy donuts instead.
Despite some niggling faults in this game.
It remains one of my favorites.
Such a rich and diverse lore almost totally unused.
I literally cant phantom why we are where we are today.
Bring some tanks and aero fighters in and watch is game explode.
But hey I know programming is hard durr durr.

#13 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 03 August 2018 - 07:15 AM

View PostNovakaine, on 03 August 2018 - 06:39 AM, said:

Where can I get good 37-cent donuts? Posted Image

#14 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 12:35 PM

View PostNovakaine, on 03 August 2018 - 06:39 AM, said:

Despite some niggling faults in this game.
It remains one of my favorites.
Such a rich and diverse lore almost totally unused.
I literally cant phantom why we are where we are today.
Bring some tanks and aero fighters in and watch is game explode.
But hey I know programming is hard durr durr.

I worked for a Canadian corporation in a small niche market that had exactly the same problems.....Status quo = acceptable.
They bought an American corporation and BOOM !!! the whole concept of what is "acceptable" changed because the American customers in that niche market refused to even consider the same products in the Canadian side.... We forced a change in the Canadian side because our customers told them directly to "get off their asses and get with the program...."

Some cultures are just comfortable being status quo.....

#15 KoalaBrownie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 12:44 PM

View PostMister Glitchdragon, on 02 August 2018 - 09:51 PM, said:

I do think its important for PGI to understand that endless nerfs aren't good for a game, "balance" notwithstanding. But having said that, if you've been here long enough, you've heard all of this doomsay before, yet here we all still are.

LRM buff suggests that those nerfs are not "endless"

#16 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:35 PM

View PostTetatae Squawkins, on 02 August 2018 - 09:32 PM, said:

Honestly. I've seen this excuse used before in other games that were doing poorly.

And have you seen the exact same reaction every year for the lastr 3 years? Go back and search.. Every single summer at the end of july has the game dying..

But what ever... Facts are irrelevant these days

#17 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:42 PM

View PostMickey Knoxx, on 02 August 2018 - 05:48 PM, said:

I have seen more people I know uninstall this game in the last month or 2 than ever before. Not quit playing, but uninstall. Between balance changes, stock mech champ crap and crazy wait times most of the good players have just moved on. it isnt just a summer thing imo.

i have zero clue what you are talking about wait times.. I have never in 4+ years waited more than a min to launch.. I play EST prime time, Middle of the night, early moring, Mid after noon... basically i;'ve never had to wait... How is it possible that it never happens to me.. yet some folks say they have it happen all the time?

as for stock mech IS comp... I wish i could find some dudes to make a team.. to me all that bitching just sounds like people crying about not being able to play their favorite mech

View PostAnjian, on 02 August 2018 - 09:45 PM, said:

I use Warframe as a yardstick, and I consider this game a gold standard for an F2P game.

dude warframe sucks.. You couldn't pay me to play it. but that doesn't mean that many enjoy it and good for them

***edit wow i sound agree in these posts.. i guess always trying to be positive doesn't always work

View PostMole, on 03 August 2018 - 05:06 AM, said:

Haven't people been making the claim that the game is dying and will be dead soon since beta? You know maybe it's actually happening this time, but people have cried wolf so many times that I can't even take this subject seriously anymore.

and you know that is the sad part.. eventually they wil be right and all the folks that love the game will be sad. I've never understood why folks post and complain about games they don't like. Why try to take done something just because you don't like it? I know i can't stand CSgo/PUBG, Overwatch ect.. yet some how i have not once posted anything about how awful i then the game is.

Edited by JC Daxion, 03 August 2018 - 10:57 PM.

#18 Tetatae Squawkins

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,028 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Kaetetôã

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:43 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 03 August 2018 - 10:35 PM, said:

And have you seen the exact same reaction every year for the lastr 3 years? Go back and search.. Every single summer at the end of july has the game dying..

But what ever... Facts are irrelevant these days

I don't see any indication that summer populations are drastically lower based on the Steam charts. And that's as close to factual data as we have.

#19 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:55 PM

View PostTetatae Squawkins, on 03 August 2018 - 10:43 PM, said:

I don't see any indication that summer populations are drastically lower based on the Steam charts. And that's as close to factual data as we have.

there have always been dips at the end of summer.. i saw a 450 count the other day.. and i saw those the last few years.. I also saw some 2k counts.

all i know is i will spend 20 bucks on that sweet clanner

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users