Fp Matchmaking A Great Way To Turn People Off

51 replies to this topic

#21 B0oN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 03:47 PM

View PostBishop Six, on 06 August 2018 - 11:35 AM, said:

All good. He dropped several times with us and saw the other side of FP. He is doing well and now understands that there can be differences depending on with who you drops.

Mechxcellent, Bishop, thanks man !

#22 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,658 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 06 August 2018 - 09:25 PM

Putting this here for others who may have "forgotten" that little thing...

Posted Image

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 06 August 2018 - 09:27 PM.

#23 hgbek

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 07 August 2018 - 02:38 AM

View PostB0oN, on 06 August 2018 - 10:44 AM, said:

Reading AND understanding is clearly overrated .
hgbek, you and dozens of other "casuals" have moaned about getting wrecked, mostly right after clicking away that pesky screen with the awful lots of text going on about how "FP is a goddamn bubbling pool full of frenzied Piranhas waiting to devour your very flesh and maybe the odd soul for giggles" .

Please be so kind and inform yourself before you jump into the unknown . I mean, it´s literally the same as with looking a loaded and unsafe (as in : safety has been clicked off) gun into the barrel while fingering the trigger and asking "what does this do ? "
You wouldn´t do that, would ´ya ?
Then why did you just pull the trigger on the unsafe gun in this game ?

Btw: many units don't even REQUIRE membership to be able to drop with them, so maybe inform yourself about the numerous TS´s and Discords and head on over to one of those the next time you feel the urge to do some FP ?

Ay, ay, ay … always the same with those young whippersnappers Posted Image

Please re-read my original posts. If you organize events then you will draw in more casual players. And throwing them to the wolves is not the way to keep them in FP. Having a one time pop up window that you may have clicked away many months ago does not address this. PGI runs a business so that means that they want to increase their player base and increase their engagement. I was lucky to run into Bishop Six but I guess many others were not so lucky.
Maybe some people want to keep their exclusive little playground but this is not wise if you want to grow your playerbase.

Edited by hgbek, 07 August 2018 - 02:44 AM.

#24 hgbek

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 07 August 2018 - 02:46 AM

Tarl Cabot thanks for the reminder. I think I clicked away that window a long time ago and then ran from FP. I would also add the warning: don't drop as a solo, find a team.

#25 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 03:19 AM

View Posthgbek, on 07 August 2018 - 02:38 AM, said:

Please re-read my original posts. If you organize events then you will draw in more casual players. And throwing them to the wolves is not the way to keep them in FP. Having a one time pop up window that you may have clicked away many months ago does not address this. PGI runs a business so that means that they want to increase their player base and increase their engagement. I was lucky to run into Bishop Six but I guess many others were not so lucky.
Maybe some people want to keep their exclusive little playground but this is not wise if you want to grow your playerbase.

It´s not that I am not aware of the whole problematic, I just find it hilarious and sad at the same time that for each Pug there seemingly needs to be at least one Vet to mentor, as if there was no way of informing about the dangers of going into FP or if word of "electronic mouth" wouldn´t even exist .
We have all those means to get informed, yet still so many mechwarriors decide to stay uninformed, seemingly to have something to be salty at or milk a little victim bonus .
At least it damn well looks like that to me sometimes, so I beg your pardon if I came off as overly rude or highhanded, it´s just that I´ve seen the same thing over more than 3 dozen times on this forum alone, not even starting to count MWO´s Twitter, Twitch, YouTube channels or Reddits .

Good thing Bishop took you under his wing, have fun and never forget :
LEG EVERYONE !
EVER !
:)

#26 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 07 August 2018 - 03:27 AM

I watchd UnPh4zed play 3 invasion games today. He's in Tier 1 after I think 3 months of playing.

He's a new player / streamer to MWO. Pretty much gave him a few tips/tricks where to stand and what not (via Twitch) in a FP game as well as kjubert giving basic instruction also as he was in game with him. So basically solo dropping AGAINST a 12man on other side.

He cranked out 2k damage in the first game of FP. 2nd game was Boreal, even without ERL/LRM, 1700dmg or so.

The issue is and always has been people not wanting to improve and/or taking onboard advice given because "they know better". I mean I just had someone try tell me how to play for 15mins in FP... After doing 500 damage total from 4 mechs... Their Rank on Jarls? 37,735, 34%. No surprise.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 07 August 2018 - 05:42 AM.

#27 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 07 August 2018 - 03:59 AM

View Posthgbek, on 07 August 2018 - 02:46 AM, said:

Tarl Cabot thanks for the reminder. I think I clicked away that window a long time ago and then ran from FP. I would also add the warning: don't drop as a solo, find a team.

That should pop up endlessly until people stop playing solo.

ONLY way to get rid of it should be grouping.

I hope your experiences with B6 has shown you the best and only way to play CW is to be in a group on VOIP. It IS a whole new game and a whole new experience that gets better the longer you drop with a group of like minded players.

Just do NOT stop playing after the Event otherwise you have wasted your time and B6's for some crap warhomns and MC.

#28 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:19 PM

View Posthgbek, on 07 August 2018 - 02:38 AM, said:

You consented to being thrown to the wolves by pressing the "ok" button....

Edited by Grus, 07 August 2018 - 07:19 PM.

#29 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 09 August 2018 - 03:00 AM

View PostGrus, on 07 August 2018 - 07:19 PM, said:

You consented to being thrown to the wolves by pressing the "ok" button....

And agreed to be a seal for the clubbing.

#30 Bishop Six

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 806 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 August 2018 - 01:19 AM

hgbek is now an OSO and is having a lots of fun now in FP Posted Image
He is a nice guy and is doing well!

Let this Thread be a reminder for those who are looking for a solution of being Solo-Yolo!

Edited by Bishop Six, 10 August 2018 - 01:20 AM.

#31 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 10 August 2018 - 12:29 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 07 August 2018 - 03:27 AM, said:

I watchd UnPh4zed play 3 invasion games today. He's in Tier 1 after I think 3 months of playing.

He's a new player / streamer to MWO. Pretty much gave him a few tips/tricks where to stand and what not (via Twitch) in a FP game as well as kjubert giving basic instruction also as he was in game with him. So basically solo dropping AGAINST a 12man on other side.

He cranked out 2k damage in the first game of FP. 2nd game was Boreal, even without ERL/LRM, 1700dmg or so.

The issue is and always has been people not wanting to improve and/or taking onboard advice given because "they know better". I mean I just had someone try tell me how to play for 15mins in FP... After doing 500 damage total from 4 mechs... Their Rank on Jarls? 37,735, 34%. No surprise.

People will never be equal, teams will never be equal. Pgi needs to expect this and balance in other ways.

For FP a loss to a top tier team shouldn't matter. What should is how many mechs, how many components ,how long did they keep them fighting and so .

So your 34% if he killed 1 mech the whole game it should matter a ton more than if prtNspz killed 10
At the same time if prtNspz go all out and kills 20 mechs is should matter more.

The true win or loss should be calculated by the skill of the pilot low or high. FP should be about the "war" not the battle.

We have comp play, goup q and solo q where the WIN is all that matters.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 10 August 2018 - 12:32 PM.

#32 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 10 August 2018 - 02:23 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 10 August 2018 - 12:29 PM, said:

People will never be equal, teams will never be equal. Pgi needs to expect this and balance in other ways.

You entirely missed the point. He was willing to take input / listen / learn - work as a tea. Too many in FP want to treat it like QP, play 'my own way' etc etc in a team oriented mode that commands more input than Solo Quick Play.

The end result was an excellent first few games without knowing the maps, how they work or even where to shoot the generators (which was most amusing)!

I give him build / skill tree advice and he gives it a shot, not everything is a good fit, but that is part of learning the game as well.

#33 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 06:43 PM

I'm a solo player in fp of average skill... i have no problem bringing a deck to put up at least 1k every game in damage, usually a lot more. That practically every match there's someone who can't break past double digits for total damage over 4 mechs... says to me no amount of grouping up could help that sort of player.

#34 UnKnownPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 266 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 02:08 AM

View PostDee Eight, on 10 August 2018 - 06:43 PM, said:

I'm a solo player in fp of average skill... i have no problem bringing a deck to put up at least 1k every game in damage, usually a lot more. That practically every match there's someone who can't break past double digits for total damage over 4 mechs... says to me no amount of grouping up could help that sort of player.

I can also bring a deck to churn out 2k damage in a match if I want. However, you will often see me dong less than 1k as when I'm drop calling for my unit I tend to be the first person in to the push calling targets etc. (a bad habit, I know).
FP is not about damage itself, if you cant share armour, if you are on your first mech when your team is on their 3rd, if you hide behind your team with AC 2s, LRMS or ERPPCs, if you dont support the team's tactics, strategy or position then you are not helping them win.
I'm not saying you do any of the above but players who do and only get around 1k damage arent even meat shielding properly.

ASH is talking about people playing with a team and adjusting their expectations to meet those of the team, which in FP is all important.
I don't like calling out damage numbers in games because it often promotes selfish damage farming or meat shielding to engorge the e-peen or get the reinforcement from the group and honestly, killing people whilst doing less damage is better for everyone. My unit recognises people that push through first, that share damage, who step in front of those people who are cored out and we have a competition at the end to see who got the lowest team damage.

Back to the original matter of the post, it's players that take these ideas on board and work for the team that are essential to FP, whether that is the ability to form a trading line as clans, learn the maps, their position and who to cover on sniper maps or how to cycle out of a push to share armour effectively. The matchmaker cannot measure these factors so it would never work for FP even if PGI attempted to create one, the major factor in matchmaking is your ability to find a group and join it on comms and work with them rather than for yourself.

#35 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 11 August 2018 - 05:06 AM

View PostUnKnownPlayer, on 11 August 2018 - 02:08 AM, said:

Back to the original matter of the post, it's players that take these ideas on board and work for the team that are essential to FP, whether that is the ability to form a trading line as clans, learn the maps, their position and who to cover on sniper maps or how to cycle out of a push to share armour effectively. The matchmaker cannot measure these factors so it would never work for FP even if PGI attempted to create one, the major factor in matchmaking is your ability to find a group and join it on comms and work with them rather than for yourself.

So why is it essential? I understand that's what you need to do to win but its no way essential. Just as taking meta mech isn't.

A match maker is designed to allow people to take those junk mech ,to stand in the open and still be able to play with other players. A match maker wouldn't care how you got a higher or lower score over time. If that was because you joined a group or because you take trial mechs and yolo.

Really the only issue I see with a match maker is the player pop. They needed to do it 5 years ago it wouldnt work now.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 11 August 2018 - 05:08 AM.

#36 UnKnownPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 266 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 02:34 PM

so i assume that these players are never going to get better, improve their skills or play against other players rather than the limited few that match their skill at the moment?
So what you are proposing is something which further segregates the queue in to limited numbers of people of similar skill?

#37 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 08:00 AM

With all the well known complaining of LRM/ATMurrrgedon in the game the past few months, and that this extends to FP play also.. worse usually because people bring multiple LRM/ATM mechs... it amuses me greatly when folks still won't put an AMS with even half a ton of ammo on mechs which have the hardpoints and then have the nerve to whine about too many LRMs on the enemy team. Its as if they couldn't work out for themselves, that the reason PGI increased the ammo counts of LRMs by a 33% per ton over what it had been for at least 2 1/2 years prior... and talking about thus giving players the opportunity to diversify their builds (in the patch notes when it happened), that that means... put other things on the mech instead... like an AMS or close in weapons... and not merely to walk into battle with 3600 lrms in your madcat instead of the smaller # you previously did.

#38 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 12 August 2018 - 08:07 AM

View PostDee Eight, on 12 August 2018 - 08:00 AM, said:

With all the well known complaining of LRM/ATMurrrgedon in the game the past few months, and that this extends to FP play also.. worse usually because people bring multiple LRM/ATM mechs... it amuses me greatly when folks still won't put an AMS with even half a ton of ammo on mechs which have the hardpoints and then have the nerve to whine about too many LRMs on the enemy team. Its as if they couldn't work out for themselves, that the reason PGI increased the ammo counts of LRMs by a 33% per ton over what it had been for at least 2 1/2 years prior... and talking about thus giving players the opportunity to diversify their builds (in the patch notes when it happened), that that means... put other things on the mech instead... like an AMS or close in weapons... and not merely to walk into battle with 3600 lrms in your madcat instead of the smaller # you previously did.

Lol AMS is simply pissing into the wind when it comes to the sheer amount of LRM's in some faction play matches. Why would an ammo buff result in taking useless weight? Close in weapons are pointless on LRM boats, just don't let the enemy get close. No need for close in weapons. PGI did the buff to make builds more viable in their ill-conceived stock mode WC, the excuse of build diversity is pretty thin.

#39 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 08:44 AM

One AMS is often pissing into the wind...3 or more is starting to really mess with the incoming streams. My supernovas, highlander IICs and Orion IICs I'm using in my deck all carry a single AMS, and there's only two of those mechs brought... and yet I'm ending the match with 150-200 missiles destroyed typically. That's about five tons of armor saved either on my own mech, or the team near me. And thus goes to doing stuff that benefits the greater team. Hiding an assault LRM boat someplace you don't need close range weapons, and not sharing armor, is NOT helping the team particularly well...since you're likely also not finding your own locks and are dependant on the rest of the team to tank for you and provide you locks so you can indirect rainfall the enemy.

When I'm the only one with an AMS...on many maps, polar especially...the entire team clusters near me expecting my AMS to shield their cowardice and inept thought processing... when several people in a drop wave have an AMS, teams tend to get more aggressive and expose themselves more to the enemy and get their own locks. Doesn't much matter if they brought direct fire either. If LRM streams incomming are simply surpressing their movement and involvement in the match, because they're too lazy to have a counter to them, then the LRMs are still doing their job even if they're not actually hitting anything.

#40 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:00 AM

I've seen kitfoxes with triple AMS get focused down very fast by lrm fire. When you have 8 boats with 60 or more LRM tubes, there is no way to effectively mount enough AMS to counter that.

If the LRMs are light enough that AMS can counter them, then they weren't a big enough threat to bother countering in the first place.

Edited by Eisenhorne, 12 August 2018 - 09:01 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users