51 replies to this topic

#41 Kwea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 374 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:40 AM

View Posthgbek, on 07 August 2018 - 02:46 AM, said:

Tarl Cabot thanks for the reminder. I think I clicked away that window a long time ago and then ran from FP. I would also add the warning: don't drop as a solo, find a team.

I have to say I was afraid this was going to be one of those posts that crop up regularly....and I was wrong.

You seem to have a really good attitude and was willing to learn, and adapt, so in the long run, you will do fine at FW. You make a good point about events drawing in new players, too.

If some of us seemed a bit harsh at first please understand that "complaint" threads pop up fairly often and usually the OP is not very good, refuses to listen to suggestions, and wants the entire game revamped to the point that the casual players can simply walk in and be a superstar in bad mechs.

You weren't doing any of that. Thank you for pointing out some things that we might not have noticed, and for being willing to adapt and take honest suggestions.

#42 K O Z A K

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:41 AM

View PostDee Eight, on 12 August 2018 - 08:44 AM, said:

One AMS is often pissing into the wind...3 or more is starting to really mess with the incoming streams. My supernovas, highlander IICs and Orion IICs I'm using in my deck all carry a single AMS, and there's only two of those mechs brought... and yet I'm ending the match with 150-200 missiles destroyed typically. That's about five tons of armor saved either on my own mech, or the team near me. And thus goes to doing stuff that benefits the greater team. Hiding an assault LRM boat someplace you don't need close range weapons, and not sharing armor, is NOT helping the team particularly well...since you're likely also not finding your own locks and are dependant on the rest of the team to tank for you and provide you locks so you can indirect rainfall the enemy.

When I'm the only one with an AMS...on many maps, polar especially...the entire team clusters near me expecting my AMS to shield their cowardice and inept thought processing... when several people in a drop wave have an AMS, teams tend to get more aggressive and expose themselves more to the enemy and get their own locks. Doesn't much matter if they brought direct fire either. If LRM streams incomming are simply surpressing their movement and involvement in the match, because they're too lazy to have a counter to them, then the LRMs are still doing their job even if they're not actually hitting anything.

When you're narced eating 600 missiles every few seconds say hi to your ams for me. Lrms are pretty hilarious right now

#43 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 10:15 AM

View PostNightbird, on 04 August 2018 - 10:47 PM, said:

Before joining FP, there is a window that tells you that FP is not for casual players, it's for hardcore, coordinated players.

Cuz FP is all full of hardcore players.

I feel like the standards to qualify for that in MWO are so low you're considered hardcore if you actually make conscious decisions when building mechs instead of just stock or random. All you metawhores that use armor and heatsinks and look at your minimap sometimes. I bet you even use a mouse to aim with sometimes. HAXX!!!

I did a bunch of pugging in FW for the first time in a while. If I intentionally tried to make bad choices and act like a parody of a bad pug I would have still looked like a tryhard compared to most these guys. It went past terrible and into embarrassing. FW isn't full of hardcore players and teams. Hasn't been in a while - just that anymore the FW pugs act like any sort of teamwork is just like cheating. They would rather lose than coordinate.

My pity/empathy/concern for such players is lower than its prior state "almost none". It takes effort to be that bad and to consistently avoid every opportunity to improve for years. Yes, FW needs a lot - better ways to help on board new players, etc. New players are not why pugs get crushed. It's hard work and dedication to the idea of soloyolo in a group focused environment.

#44 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 10:44 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 12 August 2018 - 10:15 AM, said:

Cuz FP is all full of hardcore players.

I feel like the standards to qualify for that in MWO are so low you're considered hardcore if you actually make conscious decisions when building mechs instead of just stock or random. All you metawhores that use armor and heatsinks and look at your minimap sometimes. I bet you even use a mouse to aim with sometimes. HAXX!!!

My involvement in FP is limited to events. That's been the case since oh...phase 3 and the long tom debacle. That the only times I don't break past 4 digits for total damage are like last night, conquest I was second highest at some 980 on a team that WON because we got and held all five caps for all of six minutes... I was only onto my second mech and up to my third kill when we abruptly won the match. Total kill score was about 25 to 12 in our favour. I started with an ECM/AMS kitfox and had then gone to a mad cat. Still... half the winning team hadn't managed to get past 400 damage at that stage. But when you go the full 25mins, or 48 mechs... and out of 24 players, there's a couple with only double digit damage, and half the players didn't reach 1,000... well... that's seriously a sign they shouldn't be in the FP queue at all, regardless of an event running. Especially when it includes players on the winning team. Unless they were dropping KFX-C's and NVA-S's and acting as missile shields (and thus didn't get presented the opportunity to fire weapons at the enemy often).. there's really no excuse for that. Even in the face of a coordinated linebacker rushing unit last night, I hit 1400ish total in a losing stomp.

#45 Fae Puka

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 11:12 AM

This pair of events has both made me happy but also raised the salt level to new heights.

Happy in that PGI actually appear to be listening and have enticed new players into FW (for the love of big stompy mechs remember that there is no match maker in FW, just a system to cobble together the right number of players with the quickest formula making pre-mades most likely to be called into action as a priority - hint; join a group or team even if you are a solo player or from a small unit - learn from watching bigger groups)

Biggest wheelbarrow to drag around tonnes of salt; seal clubbing, farming, not listening to drop calls (I openly admit to being cr@p at calling, but if someone does call, I try to follow their instructions as a courtesy to their attempt to herd cats into some form of coordinated drop; heck, I have even told my own team to watch how an experienced caller on the opposite side can make a huge difference) and lrms . . . ffs the lrms . . . and again the lrms that have dumbed down play (one match went to 15 v 18 because folk sat back and lrmed the whole 25 minutes).

Suggestions have been put forward by many people regarding match making, pre-mades, splitting units down etc. depending on peak hour play, so hopefully these last two events will give something (empirical data, not supposition or established names crying out "it's not the way we want FW to be"), for PGI to work with in order to raise the FW phoenix from the cooling ashes it has become.

#46 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 12 August 2018 - 01:19 PM

View PostHazeclaw, on 12 August 2018 - 09:41 AM, said:

When you're narced eating 600 missiles every few seconds say hi to your ams for me. Lrms are pretty hilarious right now

Yep, played one game last night... It was a Wolf Loyalist love nest on Crimson... They had at least 4 LRM boats first wave.

AMS mech I think on our side was a Kitfox or Nova, was blown apart in about 6-7s.... I mean no idea how with that much cover on Crimson, but you know, reasons.

#47 BigScwerl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 222 posts
  • LocationPac N Dub

Posted 14 August 2018 - 08:34 AM

View Posthgbek, on 04 August 2018 - 10:07 PM, said:

Again, that there are options to complete events is not the issue here. The point I am trying to make is that right now the FP is not encouraging to casual / new players to keep on doing FP once the events are over.

Faction Play is NOT a mode for Casual or New Players. Until you can find a group of other players, you will be rolling the dice as to who you get matched with. PGI puts the warning there for a reason.

FP is not quickplay with a dropdeck, its a team game. Everyone getting stomped by a premade seems to think that the premades are enjoying it. With the exception of a few teams, they aren't either. They are hoping that the team queuing up has some idea of how to play the mode also, and will provide some competition.

View Posthgbek, on 04 August 2018 - 10:07 PM, said:

Right now FP has the same sorry state that QP had a couple of years back, before they got the match making working decently

I actually lol'd when I read this.... you think QP matchmaker works?

#48 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,784 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 09:06 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 06 August 2018 - 09:25 PM, said:

Putting this here for others who may have "forgotten" that little thing...

Posted Image

you see a warning sign on the diving board to the shark tank. i see a nail in a coffin. i wonder how many players got discouraged without even trying because of that.

Edited by LordNothing, 17 August 2018 - 09:07 AM.

#49 Phaex42

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 10:03 AM

I only started a few months ago and I don't remember the warning. When you're new one message among all the things to learn and explore is easily forgotten.

#50 Daurock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 529 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 17 August 2018 - 11:07 AM

View PostPhaex42, on 17 August 2018 - 10:03 AM, said:

I only started a few months ago and I don't remember the warning. When you're new one message among all the things to learn and explore is easily forgotten.

That's because a some people like to use it as a red herring instead of dealing with what the real issue is - That issue being, there is almost zero support in-game for a new player to get started in FW, Nor is there a place other than the shark tank itself to learn the things needed to be successful there. The fact of the matter is that the mode is punishing for people new to the mode, and there is no way to easily "Bridge" the gap between newbie and vet right now, short of getting specifically trained by a unit. (And that type of recruitment is getting rarer by the month, because of the units themselves drying up the last couple years.)

It still makes me scratch my head as to why people actally think that a simple dialog box should be effective at keeping newer players out of the mode, and for that matter, why they would want to prevent non-vets from playing the mode in the first place. The pool of experienced FW players isn't going to somehow materialize to grow the mode if they keep the noobs out.

Edited by Daurock, 17 August 2018 - 11:08 AM.

#51 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 17 August 2018 - 01:11 PM

View PostDaurock, on 17 August 2018 - 11:07 AM, said:

That's because a some people like to use it as a red herring instead of dealing with what the real issue is - That issue being, there is almost zero support in-game for a new player to get started in FW, Nor is there a place other than the shark tank itself to learn the things needed to be successful there. The fact of the matter is that the mode is punishing for people new to the mode, and there is no way to easily "Bridge" the gap between newbie and vet right now, short of getting specifically trained by a unit. (And that type of recruitment is getting rarer by the month, because of the units themselves drying up the last couple years.)

It still makes me scratch my head as to why people actally think that a simple dialog box should be effective at keeping newer players out of the mode, and for that matter, why they would want to prevent non-vets from playing the mode in the first place. The pool of experienced FW players isn't going to somehow materialize to grow the mode if they keep the noobs out.

which Training levels have Games like battlefield or War thunder for news ?it give the Academy (ok no really AI9 and what im see in Game thats the most not use it ...or ignored all help and Real mechanics (like play FW in Stock Layouts) or have not the first Gaming Basics for Playing ,like to aim with a Mouse or drive and Shoot or drive in lights in Max zoom and wondering thats only hit the Enviroments and Terrain and not seeing the Reds 50m beside...UAVs ? Minimap? Tactical Awarness? only drive the biggest mech and hope of Autowin Function with it

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 17 August 2018 - 01:13 PM.

#52 UnKnownPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 266 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 05:10 PM

View PostOld MW4 Ranger, on 17 August 2018 - 01:11 PM, said:

which Training levels have Games like battlefield or War thunder for news ?it give the Academy (ok no really AI9 and what im see in Game thats the most not use it ...or ignored all help and Real mechanics (like play FW in Stock Layouts) or have not the first Gaming Basics for Playing ,like to aim with a Mouse or drive and Shoot or drive in lights in Max zoom and wondering thats only hit the Enviroments and Terrain and not seeing the Reds 50m beside...UAVs ? Minimap? Tactical Awarness? only drive the biggest mech and hope of Autowin Function with it

I agree, but these games have a lot of youtubers who make vids about HOW to play and the finer mechanics. These are easily found and somewhat supported by the devs, in MWO there are few (mostly old) vids about how to do stuff. World of Warships and World of Warplanes are my favorites for this, they include dev created content which is linkable from the game client to show you how to do pretty much everything. It could even be community content with a disclaimer but it would still be better than what we have now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users