Jump to content

- - - - -

Joystick

Question Help Me

22 replies to this topic

#1 Excalibur772

    Rookie

  • 5 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 03:43 PM

I'm an old school joystick player who recently re-discovered MWO through Battletech. Has the support for joysticks improved? Can you play competitively with one?

#2 Napoleon_Blownapart

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 08:14 PM

I use a thrustmaster T16000m hall effect joystick and a throttle, I have had many 1000dmg games and many <100 dmg games but I'm always having fun.I usually find I'm better than a 1/3 of my team at worst.I use a tflight hotas x throttle with its joystick unused and put to the side, I didn't like their new throttle that they pair with the T16000m. The joystick uses magnets to sense 16000 points along each axis (x,y).

#3 MW Waldorf Statler

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 8,196 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 07 August 2018 - 08:43 PM

its a little Difficult to usejoysticks and not really supported ...im self a old Joystick User ...love my Sidewinder Precision II ...all Trys to use it like mW4 its failed ...the Aiming with mouse better ..movement with Keyboard is in closefight a Hell without Joystick...all trys t use Joystick for Movement and Mouse for aim failed , im not a good Left Hand player with Stick and with 53 the learning and train form the musclebrain not the best

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 07 August 2018 - 08:44 PM.


#4 loopala

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,194 posts
  • LocationDa UP of Mich

Posted 07 August 2018 - 10:09 PM

as a long time left handed mouse user. right handed but with cad/spreadsheets left mouse right hand keyboard just works better. multi button mouse that i use for JJs, throttle, and aiming. x52 HOTS but i only use the stick. lots of buttons and hats.
basically the stick in my right hand controls my feet and the mouse controls my arms and torsos.

#5 Horseman

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,379 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 07 August 2018 - 10:25 PM

View PostExcalibur772, on 07 August 2018 - 03:43 PM, said:

I'm an old school joystick player who recently re-discovered MWO through Battletech. Has the support for joysticks improved? Can you play competitively with one?

Abandon any hope of using a joystick for aiming - no aim assist here.

#6 FLes

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 100 posts
  • LocationZagreb, Croatia

Posted 08 August 2018 - 10:33 PM

Quick internet search will make it clear that almost no one uses Joystick for torso movement in this game because it is inferior to using a mouse.

What people have more success with is using Joystick and mouse combo, where you use Joystick instead of keyboard for throttle control and leg turning, which gives you analog control.

I currently use keyboard and mouse but I plan on trying out T.16000m stick and Corsair Scimitar mouse which has 17 buttons, to make up for the lack of buttons on the stick. If it proves to be a success, I'll write about it.

Btw, I tried using Voice Attack and it is too slow.

Edited by FLes, 08 August 2018 - 10:37 PM.


#7 Surn

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 953 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 08 August 2018 - 11:29 PM

I play at a high level, good enough to be called a try hard by people who face me in Solaris... last season was 35th overall in Solaris.


and i use a joystick for movement, information and game mouse with programmable buttons with my right hand to aim,fire, call air strikes, etc.

I am a very good sniper as my entire rig is optimized for zooming and aiming.

If i switch to a more competitive endeavor, i will drop the off hand joystick because I plan on winning and won't be able to use one in finals matches.

#8 FLes

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 100 posts
  • LocationZagreb, Croatia

Posted 09 August 2018 - 12:30 AM

View PostSurn, on 08 August 2018 - 11:29 PM, said:

(...) If i switch to a more competitive endeavor, i will drop the off hand joystick because I plan on winning and won't be able to use one in finals matches.


What do you mean you wont be able to use it?

#9 Horseman

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,379 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 09 August 2018 - 03:19 AM

He's referring to MWOWC. You can't bring your own peripherals to semi-finals or finals.

#10 FLes

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 100 posts
  • LocationZagreb, Croatia

Posted 09 August 2018 - 03:58 AM

Why the hell would you not be able to play with your own peripherals? That's ridiculous.

#11 FLes

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 100 posts
  • LocationZagreb, Croatia

Posted 09 August 2018 - 05:52 AM

"PGI will provide input devices if necessary, but World Final participants are allowed to bring and use their own 3rd party input hardware."

https://mechwarrior....ournament/rules

But they also say you can't use gamepad, lol. Where does that leave joystick? And why would they prohibit using either joystick or gamepad?

Edited by FLes, 09 August 2018 - 05:54 AM.


#12 Horseman

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,379 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 09 August 2018 - 06:41 AM

Never mind, seems I've misread it.
However, if he needs any sort of special driver, that still may be an issue - as can be the device having any internal memory (see under External Devices)

#13 FLes

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 100 posts
  • LocationZagreb, Croatia

Posted 09 August 2018 - 07:02 AM

Well, anyway, it just seems super silly to me to prohibit use of joystick in a mechwarrior game. Sure, some might find it sub-optimal or whatever, but to actually force you to play with a keyboard... I just hope that is not the case. The way I interpreted the rules, you should be able to use a joystick.

#14 MechaBattler

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,057 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:40 AM

Isn't it more that they didn't bother to support joysticks? Rather than them intentionally forcing people to use keyboard/mouse?

#15 Deeber

    Member

  • PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 75 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 11 August 2018 - 03:36 AM

I've played almost 4,800 matches in MWO with a CH Products joystick/throttle combination (which I originally used for Elite: Dangerous). I did start out with mouse/keyboard when playing through the in-game tutorials, but much preferred the feeling of piloting a mech with joystick/throttle, and decided to stay with those controls. If you're not fixed on the idea of using joystick/throttle, or if you really want to play competitively, I'd suggest going with mouse/keyboard.

#16 Lightfoot

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,508 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 19 August 2018 - 05:37 AM

View PostExcalibur772, on 07 August 2018 - 03:43 PM, said:

I'm an old school joystick player who recently re-discovered MWO through Battletech. Has the support for joysticks improved? Can you play competitively with one?


Yes. They added analog Turn and that fixed most accuracy issues. I have written a mini-guide on how to set up a Thrustmaster T 16000m in the old school style in MWO. You can find that here.

Many players try a Joystick and never bother to tailor it to MWO. MWO has some fine tuning in the Controllers tab and all that works for joysticks as well. Thrustmaster comes with a robust joystick profiler program called TARGET as well so between the two you end up with the most accurate joystick ever used in a MechWarrior game. Just takes some patience and fiddling at first. Basically, MWO has the ability to get the most out of your joystick. I started with a Logitech 3D Force Pro, but when that broke I got a Thrustmaster T16000m which was a huge step up in accuracy and speed. Don't listen to the naysayers about joysticks, those are folks who just didn't try hard enough to make it work.

Myself, I have shoot from the hip accuracy that allows consistent hits on mech sections. Much better than the average mouse user whose crosshairs jump all over the place so badly it's more like spray and pray. Gaming mice can be faster to aim and more accurate, but you need to re-aim each shot on moving targets whereas a joystick tracks the target as you move.

So it's really up to what you like to do to have fun. I play two Tier 2 pilots, all leveling done with a joystick. And I have to say I am finding Tier 2 easier than Tier 3, better teams I guess. Headed for Tier 1 pretty soon too if the mechs can take me there! And I pilot everything from a Locust to a Cyclops. A good mech is important however.

So, yes, come back to MWO, you can get a joystick to work. You are not forced to use a mouse anymore. Heck, if I couldn't use a joystick in MWO I wouldn't be playing either. Fact.

Edited by Lightfoot, 20 August 2018 - 05:02 AM.


#17 Lightfoot

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,508 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 20 August 2018 - 05:22 AM

View PostFLes, on 09 August 2018 - 05:52 AM, said:

"PGI will provide input devices if necessary, but World Final participants are allowed to bring and use their own 3rd party input hardware."

https://mechwarrior....ournament/rules

But they also say you can't use gamepad, lol. Where does that leave joystick? And why would they prohibit using either joystick or gamepad?


I have no idea. I won't be going there because I refuse to use a mouse (even if I was good enough, which I am not), but I did get to the semi-finals in Microsoft's MechWarrior 3 tournament (grand prize was a Harley-Davidson for each team member). Only thing I struggle with with a joystick is MWO's command wheel which should really have hotkeys as well. Still, it would be nice to contend.

#18 BumbaCLot

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 313 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 06 September 2018 - 01:32 PM

View PostLightfoot, on 19 August 2018 - 05:37 AM, said:


Yes. They added analog Turn and that fixed most accuracy issues. I have written a mini-guide on how to set up a Thrustmaster T 16000m in the old school style in MWO. You can find that here.

Many players try a Joystick and never bother to tailor it to MWO. MWO has some fine tuning in the Controllers tab and all that works for joysticks as well. Thrustmaster comes with a robust joystick profiler program called TARGET as well so between the two you end up with the most accurate joystick ever used in a MechWarrior game. Just takes some patience and fiddling at first. Basically, MWO has the ability to get the most out of your joystick. I started with a Logitech 3D Force Pro, but when that broke I got a Thrustmaster T16000m which was a huge step up in accuracy and speed. Don't listen to the naysayers about joysticks, those are folks who just didn't try hard enough to make it work.

Myself, I have shoot from the hip accuracy that allows consistent hits on mech sections. Much better than the average mouse user whose crosshairs jump all over the place so badly it's more like spray and pray. Gaming mice can be faster to aim and more accurate, but you need to re-aim each shot on moving targets whereas a joystick tracks the target as you move.

So it's really up to what you like to do to have fun. I play two Tier 2 pilots, all leveling done with a joystick. And I have to say I am finding Tier 2 easier than Tier 3, better teams I guess. Headed for Tier 1 pretty soon too if the mechs can take me there! And I pilot everything from a Locust to a Cyclops. A good mech is important however.

So, yes, come back to MWO, you can get a joystick to work. You are not forced to use a mouse anymore. Heck, if I couldn't use a joystick in MWO I wouldn't be playing either. Fact.

Are you playing faction warfare or mostly on a different account? You are playing about 40 matches a month or less on this account.I'd love to play with X52, but I just don't see myself ever trying again. Mice are way too accurate, and if I only played 2-4 matches a day it may be a possibility, but my wrist was a complete wreck trying to twist a Z axis for over an hour 5 years ago, and I can comfortably play for hours on end with a mouse. I'll be tier 2 within a few games myself too, but I am trying to get a better match score than currently have.

#19 Napoleon_Blownapart

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 06:12 AM

View PostBumbaCLot, on 06 September 2018 - 01:32 PM, said:

I'd love to play with X52, but I just don't see myself ever trying again. Mice are way too accurate, and if I only played 2-4 matches a day it may be a possibility, but my wrist was a complete wreck trying to twist a Z axis for over an hour 5 years ago, and I can comfortably play for hours on end with a mouse. I'll be tier 2 within a few games myself too, but I am trying to get a better match score than currently have.


you should have stuck with it, over time it gets easier.
Posted Image

Edited by Gorantir, 08 September 2018 - 07:32 AM.


#20 Koniving

    Welcoming Committee

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 22,770 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 08:03 AM

View PostMechaBattler, on 09 August 2018 - 10:40 AM, said:

Isn't it more that they didn't bother to support joysticks? Rather than them intentionally forcing people to use keyboard/mouse?


Pretty much. Although this has changed a bit. Analog turning used to be impossible in MWO, it was full speed or no speed. This has changed since the last time I complained about it as someone demonstrated here.

Sadly keyboard is still limited to 100% turning speed no matter what. It doesn't ramp up for keyboard users.

100% turning for very brief turns demonstrated on keyboard.

Turning in MW3 and MW4 ramps up from 0 to full speed over the course of a second and as such minor alterations in course don't "jerk" the entire thing. But here, well you can see the jerking. Your joystick (in my case a throttle stick) works around this easily.

Well, now it does at least.
But for more than four years it didn't. :(





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users