#21 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 11:27 PM

View PostJackal Noble, on 19 August 2018 - 10:34 PM, said:

That's what you think.

That's what everyone thinks, but I looked a bit closer now that someone mentioned it - this thing accelerates faster than any other 40t mech, and faster than most of the 35t lights. Of course we'll see if this agility actually leads to survival when it comes out and faces the lrm rain

#22 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 12:35 AM

NP, just prove me wrong. Agility may be good but it doesn't have enough hardpoints to equip small light weapons. Equip larger weapons and you're slow and completely negates agility. Equip small class weapons and you'll still have half the firepower of a piranha and also hampered by a low engine cap.

IMO the Assassin should be agile, with having high engine cap and less survival quirks, and the Vulcan the slow tanky 40 tonner. It even goes with their names.

Edited by Nightbird, 20 August 2018 - 12:35 AM.

#23 BEARDOOM

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 163 posts
  • LocationBelgrade

Posted 20 August 2018 - 01:44 AM

What it brings?
Assassin is better. Armoure quirk's...

#24 Abaddun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 248 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 02:14 AM

It looks like it could zombie for days.

#25 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 20 August 2018 - 02:53 AM

View PostJackal Noble, on 19 August 2018 - 10:34 PM, said:

That's what you think.

He's right.

Assassin has in most cases better hard points.

It's the same tonnage, so same area, if P.G.I kept to their own method of defining mech size.

The Vulcan has No ECM.

The Vulcan is easier to hit and remove arms, side torso, when aiming above the waist.

It is harder to hit legs bellow the waist, than an Assassin.

Though this won't trouble the players that can aim better.

Most Newbie and poor shots aim above the waist, so most people playing this game will be shooting above, meaning the Assassin, even without ECM remains a better mech.

Yet P.G.I did their usual Dart board quirking, by giving the Vulcan Half the Armour and structure quirks of the Assassin.

They should have been at least the same, this is so completely obvious to anyone that has any credibility in the playing of this game.

Perhaps one or two points more on the side torso.

These comments can be mitigated by actions none in the community has access to.

Much better hit boxes. ( unlikely from past experience and the Vulcan's design )

I can't see how, as those big shoulders, and ball joints make excellent targets, when not aiming at legs, most will hit by accident.

Or

P.G.I

Plan to cut the Assassins structure and Armour quirks, by half, in the same patch, hitting P.G.I in the bank account, as more people stop spending money. (conjecture)

Edited by C E Dwyer, 20 August 2018 - 02:55 AM.

#26 Alvar Von Kenesthor

• PipPipPip
  • The Lanner
  • The Lanner
  • 93 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 20 August 2018 - 02:56 AM

Other than the hero, that could make a fine DPS brawler with srm4s and mgs, every other chassis lacks the hardpoints to specialize in any certain build plus the quirks don't help. Flamer and MG quirks in chassis with <4 energy/ballistic hardpoints? seriously?
This mech will disappear from the battlefield as fast as the Hellspawn did or at least boost the number of Assassin players...

Edited by Alvar Von Kenesthor, 20 August 2018 - 02:58 AM.

#27 Zookeeper Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBeer City USA

Posted 20 August 2018 - 04:56 AM

I have to say I'm disappointed in how this mech turned out looks wise. The Vulcan was very unique in being tall, skinny, and lanky. They took the original art and buffed it in the concept art then further buffed it in the 3d model. It looks like it started using steroids and working out.

The original Vulcan was Adam West Batman, skinny, quirky, and unique.

Concept art is Christian Bale Batman, more extreme but fits.

Final model is Ben Affleck Batman, extreme buff taken too far.

That being said, I'm still looking forward to release day. I'll give my Assasins a rest while I skill these up.

#28 PobbestGob

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 197 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 09:59 AM

Does the -5S actually have 3 ballistic hardpoints as the image says? The store page says it has 2.
https://mwomercs.com/vulcan

#29 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 01:15 PM

View PostKill2Blit, on 20 August 2018 - 09:59 AM, said:

Does the -5S actually have 3 ballistic hardpoints as the image says? The store page says it has 2.
https://mwomercs.com/vulcan

Good catch, go with store stats. They nerfed the Urbie SC because of that.

#30 Ruccus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 21 August 2018 - 10:13 PM

After playing a few matches and fooling around in the training grounds I'm reasonably satisfied with the mech. Agility-wise it's good; with no skill points it only feels just a hair less nimble than I'd like and nimble enough for the poking playstyles I was using in matches. I figure with some skill nodes put into it it'll be a nice, agile mech.

For the VL-2T I went with an AC10 and 2 medium lasers, with a 225 LFE. For the VL-5T I went with a 5 medium laser build with a 300LFE initially, then switched to a 5 ERML build with a 280LFE. I haven't started playing around with my VL-5M yet. The VL-5T is a simple poking mech that worked well in my matches. All its hardpoints are reasonably high and its torso movement is quick enough that I was able to sweep at light mechs well. I like the build and probably will keep it as-is.

For the VL-2T I think just putting a bigger ballistic in the torso and leaning on its 15% cooldown might be the way to go, backed up with a pair of medium lasers in the other torso. An argument could be made for an AC10 or LB10X in the arm for its 350 degree field of fire, but I shaved the armour off the arms for the weight savings. I only tried the AC10 so far, but I can see putting in an LB10X, or even AC20 or Gauss Rifle. Maybe an AC5 if you want to use the extra tonnage for speed, but I think with just an AC5 you probably don't have the firepower needed. I did theorycraft a triple large laser build but haven't tried it out yet; seems a shame not to use the ballistic cooldown, though the 10% range for the large lasers is solid too.

I think the cluster of jump jets on the back look very cool - I was using F5 in the training grounds and jumping just to watch them fire. All-in-all it's a decent mech so far. It doesn't shift the meta, and I suspect if you own the assassin you won't care about this until it goes for c-bills, but it's a decent mech that I've enjoyed playing so far.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users