• Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 698 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationPrinceton, NJ

Posted 22 August 2018 - 03:54 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 20 August 2018 - 02:54 PM, said:

2.1.2 Events should be able to set IS Map states
  • A set of pre-determined map states will be created.
  • 3050 Invasion
  • 3052 Tukayyid

I forgot to mention this earlier, but we cannot move forward to 3062 until you make the factions not hardcoded to Clan side or IS side. By 3062 Nova Cats have joined IS (while fighting with Clanmechs), Ghostbear is rapidly incorporating Rasalhagians, Wolf in Exile is a thing and is on the IS side like the Nova Cats (also still using clantech but on the IS side). Also, you will have to dump Jaguars (cuz they dead), and that means we lose the significance of 1/4 of the clan faction camo patterns.

Short form, 1) before we go to 3062, the game needs a fundamental system change to correctly handle factions as independent entities that can fight as part of malleable "alliances" that are not determined by techbase, and 2) we should start working on faction camos for some of the other clan factions.

Edited by Cato Zilks, 22 August 2018 - 04:00 PM.

#42 slide

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationKersbrook South Australia

Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:46 PM

View PostPeppaPig, on 22 August 2018 - 09:08 AM, said:

This algorithm sucks big style and is going to do nothing to attract people trying the mode before getting involved with looking for a unit.

I disagree completely with this statement and most of your post. Here's why.

IMO the single biggest issue with getting new people involved with FP is fear. Fear of the "boogey man" 12 player pre-made that is going to stomp the crap out of us pugs. This is a legitimate fear.

FP currently has no match maker. The above boogey man scenario plays out all the time. It is the single biggest reason why on an almost daily basis there are cries to separate the queues into solo and grouped.

Paul's new match maker eliminates some of this fear thus attracting new players and shielding (somewhat) those players from the boogeyman teams who are just using them as fodder.

This matchmaker also resolves the other issue of teams stacking (unless they all go to the same faction as loyalists) sides to avoid each other or deliberately not dropping to avoid a team until they are in a match. By making Mercs act as fillers for factions that need them (as it should have always been) it makes it much more difficult for large Merc units to stack and dominate one side or conversely avoid other teams. In fact if you are running 2 pre-mades as a merc unit you are much more likely to come up against each other (inter unit matches can actually be the most fun IMO) rather than the more likely case we have now where those same 2 pre-mades would stomp the stuffing out of 2 pug groups.

This matchmaker in the worst case would pit a pre-made against pugs, nothing different from what we have now and it only happens during times of low population. People will put up with this if it is NOT the norm. People will not put up with getting stomped game after game after game.

By reducing the fear of getting stomped by a boogey man pre-made you entice more people to FP. By not getting stomped repeatedly people enjoy the game more and keep playing and hopefully learning how it works. Also by stratifying player skill/experience you will generally create more evenly balanced matches which are the best type no matter the skill levels involved.

Outliers will always happen. Stomps will always happen. But if you can reduce the incidence of both you help the game mode to grow. With more players the match maker works better. The better the MM works the more players it will attract. Repeat.

This MM should have been in CW from the beginning. I believe a lot of the modes issues would have been resolved long ago if it had been.

#43 Cato Zilks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 698 posts
  • LocationPrinceton, NJ

Posted 22 August 2018 - 05:43 PM

View Postslide, on 22 August 2018 - 04:46 PM, said:

This matchmaker also resolves the other issue of teams stacking (unless they all go to the same faction as loyalists) sides to avoid each other or deliberately not dropping to avoid a team until they are in a match. By making Mercs act as fillers for factions that need them (as it should have always been) it makes it much more difficult for large Merc units to stack and dominate one side or conversely avoid other teams. In fact if you are running 2 pre-mades as a merc unit you are much more likely to come up against each other (inter unit matches can actually be the most fun IMO) rather than the more likely case we have now where those same 2 pre-mades would stomp the stuffing out of 2 pug groups.

Where does Paul say that Mercs cannot chose which side they are on? Cuz, I don't think he says that. In fact, it actually sounds like faction stacking is going to be a nightmare on this system because everybody just picks a side on the start of the event.

And what is worse, we won't be able to switch over to an underpopulated side when everyone does load up on one side.

Edited by Cato Zilks, 22 August 2018 - 06:36 PM.

#44 slide

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 06:33 PM

He doesn't specifically (had to re read it), so might be misunderstanding on my part but I took the following lines

1.3 Adding Participation Choice to Conflicts
  • With the action of removing penalties from player faction/participation decisions, this update will look into making the choices more relevant while maintaining player freedom.
  • Players choose their method of participation on a per match basis.
  • It will be possible for a player to play both sides of a conflict between matches.

1.3.2 Participating as a Merc Unit
  • Merc Units are deposited into the general queue.

to mean that Mercs would not be signing up to a specific faction but used as filler to kickoff matches. I may have merged freelancer, merc and general queue into one meaning in my head which may well be wrong on another read through.

That said and maybe Paul could clarify this: Loyalists obviously can only play for one faction, and freelancers will play where ever there are free spots. How exactly do mercs fit in then?

In my mind Mercs go where the money is. That means the MM puts that queued group on the side that it needs to kick off a match. This along with giving loyalists more reason to be, is why I made the statement you quoted. I also got the impression from listening to the podcast (and the notes) that Mercs might be losing there own LP tree, in lieu, of earning LP with factions on a per game basis. This may also have influenced my thinking.

#45 Cato Zilks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 698 posts
  • LocationPrinceton, NJ

Posted 22 August 2018 - 08:03 PM

No see, we all just pick a side and are locked in for the duration of the event. Loyalists are not forced onto one side. Re-listen to the Podcast. Paul talks about fighting for Marik as a Kurita loyalist and he has already said in the other forum that making the factions ally along different team lines would be a major re-coding project, so we can safely rule out that he means Kurita would be put on Marik's side. (For the record, I think that is the hill that we need to die on. This game mode needs more backend flexibility to not become stale and the flexibility is needed to ever advance past 3057 as clanners start fighting for IS after that year.)

Sadly the more I listen, the more I think this is initial proposal is half baked. (And that Sean is a much better interviewer than Daeron (sorry Daeron)).

Edited by Cato Zilks, 22 August 2018 - 08:30 PM.

#46 BearFlag

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 374 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 08:18 PM

View PostNightbird, on 20 August 2018 - 06:26 PM, said:

4. Please consider giving a (% cbill bonus for mercs) (% LP bonus for loyalists) for dropping with less than a full tonnage deck. Maybe for Tier 1 players only. Reward good players for handicapping themselves voluntarily. I know many people that would drop with a lighter deck if there is a reward for it, and it would make FP interesting for older players.

Whoa. Now THAT is an interesting idea.

In the other thread I outlined an elaborate (read: development-heavy) bumping system. But this is definitely "low hanging fruit." Incentivize top teams/players to voluntarily come in under weight for a pay out bonus which could be applied to all or elements of the rewards. A multiplier might max out at (just numbers) 1.15 for 50 tons. If popular, this would marginally self-nerf potent teams (but voluntarily). Pugs would be relatively beefier. But there's also the risk of coming up against another top team loaded for bear. Interesting dynamic.

In terms of effort, this would be all end-of-match checks and adjustments. Was the player under weight (condition)? By how much (scale)? Apply and display the bonus.

The only question I have is ~would~ it be popular (and therefore worth the effort)?

#47 slide

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 08:38 PM

I think I will re listen to the podcast.

Paul explicitly states that "a player" will be able to choose sides in between drops (section 1.3). I note a player is not a unit.

Does Paul contradict this statement in the podcast?

If so then we need some confirmation from Paul.

I can see the point of locking loyalists into one side of the conflict, but I do agree that if Mercs are locked in too, then stacking (even if unintentional) will become a real problem exacerbated by not being able to change sides. This puts far to much pressure on the freelancers to fill gaps and make up teams. It is my opinion that this is where mercs should not get a choice in the matter. Mercs by definition should go where the money is. If they get paid more then they don't get a choice. Not sure the match maker can even work as intended with out this.

#48 Cato Zilks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 698 posts
  • LocationPrinceton, NJ

Posted 22 August 2018 - 08:51 PM

View PostBearFlag, on 22 August 2018 - 08:18 PM, said:

Whoa. Now THAT is an interesting idea.

In the other thread I outlined an elaborate (read: development-heavy) bumping system. But this is definitely "low hanging fruit." Incentivize top teams/players to voluntarily come in under weight for a pay out bonus which could be applied to all or elements of the rewards. A multiplier might max out at (just numbers) 1.15 for 50 tons. If popular, this would marginally self-nerf potent teams (but voluntarily). Pugs would be relatively beefier. But there's also the risk of coming up against another top team loaded for bear. Interesting dynamic.

In terms of effort, this would be all end-of-match checks and adjustments. Was the player under weight (condition)? By how much (scale)? Apply and display the bonus.

The only question I have is ~would~ it be popular (and therefore worth the effort)?

Winning is always more profitable, so no, dropping weight voluntarily is never really going to catch on. Good players currently don't drop underweight because they may face a competent team.

Edited by Cato Zilks, 22 August 2018 - 09:00 PM.

#49 Cato Zilks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 698 posts
  • LocationPrinceton, NJ

Posted 22 August 2018 - 08:54 PM

View Postslide, on 22 August 2018 - 08:38 PM, said:

I think I will re listen to the podcast.

Paul explicitly states that "a player" will be able to choose sides in between drops (section 1.3). I note a player is not a unit.

Does Paul contradict this statement in the podcast?

If so then we need some confirmation from Paul.

28:00 to 29:20

Edited by Cato Zilks, 22 August 2018 - 08:55 PM.

#50 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:44 PM

I really hope mercs are used as filler. Being a merc is about making cbills. Not about picking sides.

The voting system didnt really work last time i dont see it being enough to keep loyalists fighting.

#51 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:53 PM

View PostCato Zilks, on 22 August 2018 - 08:54 PM, said:

28:00 to 29:20

Arggg, i guess i missed this part too. Systems like this just make cw into 4 spawn group q and its the reason i stopped play after 1 bucket.

#52 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 22 August 2018 - 10:35 PM

View PostSereglach, on 21 August 2018 - 01:16 PM, said:

*Quote to link back to feedback off OP notes but before listening to podcast. Still pertinent*

Ok, listened to the podcast, and have more to say.

Most of my original concerns about participation still stand. However, one point confuses me a bit: Does the whole "favor tracking system" revolve around earning LP/RP, or is it going to be separate? Does it mean that Freelancers dropping into Faction Play will be earning LP for factions based on who they side with for an event? If so that actually would alleviate a great deal of my rewards concerns for FP and could certainly incentivize me to play the mode again. However, the biggest reason for the confusion is that you (Paul) later go on to state that the Loyalists are the ones earning LP and that the design doc is basically written for Loyalists. Again, I think the biggest solution for Freelancers is earning some LP for whoever they're working for and some RP for basically playing as a solo Merc . . . still rewarded (the LP/RP rewards that actually matter), just at a slower rate than a pure Merc or pure Loyalist. Bonus XP is still pretty rubbish for many/most veteran solo players, and combined with gating (see below) it's even less worthwhile for any player.

Moving on, here's a thought for preventing the units going "Lets all side with faction A to stomp faction B, guarantee our success and guarantee great rewards!" Limit the signups. Take the population for FP and effectively split it half by force. When an event triggers, tally the populations of involved loyalist first, then close off sign-ups to whomever has the higher population. When someone tries to side with the faction that has the higher population, they get a message along the lines of, "Sorry, Merc, but we don't need any more forces, we've already filled all open contracts at this time" for the IS, or for clanners something like, "Your unit has failed to submit a suitable bid for this trial; and you have forfeit participation under our banner at this time." This, by fiat, forces them to join the other side . . . and as a Merc, they should be going where the money is. Once the population disparity has shifted the opposite direction, the ability to signup also shifts with it. If the population is somehow exactly even, or maybe within a certain % of their opponent, then the next unit to sign up can go wherever it wants.

In turn, it also helps bolster the forces of factions with particularly low populations during "their" events, because they'd automatically be the first open for recruitment. In addition, using your new more "interactive" faction loyalty/reputation system, you theoretically could even clump appropriate populations together from the beginning. If Davion is fighting Liao for the wedding event, for example, then Steiner is automatically clumped into the Davion team and Kurita is automatically clumped into the Liao team. IF you're already acknowledging how factions will react on an event by event basis, can't that automatically decide the starting populations of the factions, and then open "event recruitment" from there?

Artillery Strikes (Long Toms) in drop zones: I see a HUGE issue in times when you need to wait 1-2 drop cycles in order to have your team regroup for a push/counterattack. Your own team would be penalized for attempting to regroup. It seems like a very tricky issue to deal with and maintain a sense of balance. If something like the Artillery is used, then I think it'd need to be approached very carefully. It also might not be needed if the matchmaking improvements pan out in reasonable fashion.

Rewards Kickers: There's a modest list I can think of off the top of my head.
- Heat Damage from Flamers, counted like physical damage. You're giving up physical damage potential to help the team through the "crowd control" function of heat damage.
- AMS missiles destroyed, counted like physical damage. Some mechs (2-3 AMS mechs) give up potentially significant damage potential (up to 4.5 tons+ on the 3xAMS Uller, for example) to provide extra protection for the team.
- Count capture zone rewards by % bar moved instead of time ticks. Currently mass people in a capture zone only count for a few tics, and a mech with capture acceleration (you just make this a serious SDR-5V quirk, for example) gains less tics of the reward despite the investment in capping faster.
- Underdog bonus (killing mechs from larger weight classes than yourself) as a light mech reward comparable to "Brawling" from the heavier weight classes.
- ECM Protection for giving coverage to allies . . . bonus counts tics similar to "Protected" or "Lance in Formation" while at least one other mech in your ECM coverage is in combat.
- ECM Jamming . . . smaller reward given as the opposite of "ECM Counter" by entering into jamming range of enemy mechs and keeping them within range for X seconds.

Bonus for Answering Call To Arms: Again, give Freelancers adequate LP and/or RP rewards (the real FP reward paths) and solo players will be more inclined to participate in general. However, that said, giving people a potential 10% extra c-bills or something because they're answering a last second call to fill a match isn't a bad idea. Just make sure that it is clearly communicated to the player.

C-bill Transfers Among Players: Make it a rank controlled function (allows unit leader to designate WHO can give out c-bills) and require a certain number of matches in FP with c-bill controlling ranks (at least several hours of investment in matches).

Community Driven Planet Lore: Players submit lore data to PGI directly, PGI vets data, approved data gets put into the little planetary data box that is currently only filled with prior planet ownership box (maybe needs a tab for lore).

Gating Faction Play: Absolutely . . . at a bare minimum at LEAST make someone play through their cadet bonus matches. Preferably, though, they should probably have at least one set of drop decks (1 Incursion and 1 Scouting) of their own mastered mechs. I'm a casual gamer and even I fully understand and respect gated game modes. Whether it's Smite, Paladins, League of Legends, DOTA, or others, gating the "hardcore/ranked" game mode until a player at least understands the game and has a reasonable "roster" for the more competitive game modes is fully understandable. It's basically becoming an industry norm (especially for games with Ranked or e-sports aspirations), so I don't think it'd upset people if PGI implemented such a requirement. Besides, it'll also prevent some new players (like those who refuse to read warnings . . . the whole "Windows Installer Syndrome" you joked about) from accidentally jumping into a game mode that'll quickly ruin their "new player experience" and drive them from the game.

#53 Mochyn Pupur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 521 posts
  • LocationDerby, England

Posted 23 August 2018 - 01:55 AM

View PostEisenhorne, on 22 August 2018 - 10:08 AM, said:

Wouldn't this increase the likelyhood of truly terrible pugs fighting other truly terrible pugs though? I mean, say you have a 12 man queued up for Davion, 12 pugs queued up for Davion, a 6 man queued up for Liao, 6 good players queued up for Liao, and 12 bad pugs queued up for liao.

the best puggles on the liao side join the 6 man, and fight the 12 man. The worst 12 puggles on the liao side fight the 12 pug guys on the davion side, so its pug v pug, with the worst players having to fight the best players less frequently.

The algorithm appears to be designed that the same issue (but made worse) of a 12 man pre-made or experienced unit on one side will still come across the low SSR pug groups, but with even less chance of having experienced support on their side because the SSR will have taken them out, leaving potentially a full team of players completely fresh to FP or still in their initial acustomisation period. This approach will pander to the "gating community" as you quite nicely put it, by making it a closed game mode to experienced units/players - which has most likely been one of the causes for the declining interest in new players to FW in the first place.

However, as I said, early days, let's see what happens, but certainly have reservations for this approach.

#54 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 23 August 2018 - 09:48 AM

Working on a summary of clarifications and some infographics on the MM proposal. If it's not posted EoD Friday, it will be first thing Monday morning. I think the MM may even need a video to show the building process.

Thanks again for the feedback. There's even a couple interesting tidbits for possible updates as well.

#55 BearFlag

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 374 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 04:15 PM

View PostCato Zilks, on 22 August 2018 - 08:51 PM, said:

Winning is always more profitable, so no, dropping weight voluntarily is never really going to catch on. Good players currently don't drop underweight because they may face a competent team.

Yeah, that was my fear. Wasting time on something that doesn't get used. Many players (like me) are swimming in c-Bills so rewards are kinda, meh. Still, an interesting idea.

#56 kuma8877

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 691 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 23 August 2018 - 04:23 PM

Couple of thoughts...

Is it possible to beef up the command wheel to have a larger bevy of tactical responses? And voice packs for purchase for that wheel? ;)

What is the reduction in design/production time for maps that only use new geometry/layouts while using existing textures and fluff assets? Can this reduction be leveraged to create a more efficient pipeline for maps, to better fill out the biomes present in our current selection? Since it was brought up to reduce the map selection to maps that better represent the climate of the world we are fighting on (which I wholeheartedly agree with) we could probably stand to have a few more maps to help with the suspension of disbelief. Obviously, this is a long term addition/ask but it could help a ton with drawing players back in over time (with some demonstrated consistency) and help keep those still here, further engaged.

#57 slide

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 06:57 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 23 August 2018 - 09:48 AM, said:

Working on a summary of clarifications and some infographics on the MM proposal. If it's not posted EoD Friday, it will be first thing Monday morning. I think the MM may even need a video to show the building process.

Thanks again for the feedback. There's even a couple interesting tidbits for possible updates as well.

Thanks for getting back to us Paul.

Some clarification is definitely needed. FP MM is possibly the biggest change to FP since it's inception. It needs to be right to have any chance of succeeding.

Edited by slide, 23 August 2018 - 06:58 PM.

#58 Marius Evander

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 07:48 PM

View Postkuma8877, on 23 August 2018 - 04:23 PM, said:

Spoiler

I'd Appreciate being able to have more than 2 commands active at one time as commander, not being able to have a move here, an attack here and a Attack target 3 markers going at once is rediculous

Edited by Cadoazreal, 24 August 2018 - 05:26 AM.

#59 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 23 August 2018 - 08:56 PM

I can't think of anyone that uses the command wheel.

Anyone that does in game is generally more of an annoyance... Esp as you can't see enemies on the map where 'markers' are put etc. The whole info-wars thing should really be removed. Especially target-spotted, it's ridiculous. Any 'features' put into that is going to be - overall - wasted development time to make a couple of people happy esp when PUG team's don't listen anyway and Actual Teams don't need it.

#60 Cato Zilks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 698 posts
  • LocationPrinceton, NJ

Posted 23 August 2018 - 10:29 PM

Seriously, command wheel is not an FP priority at all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users