Artemis After-Patch Impression

14 replies to this topic

#1 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 21 August 2018 - 08:00 PM

I gotta say, the reduction in lock-speed and cone didn't really did as much as i think it did with LRMs. It may be because I got my own locks, I'm already okay in retaining locks before.

Although considering the Artemis changes, my previous Artemis builds were no longer viable, but playing without them and going for a heavier weapon -- say LRM10s to LRM15s. From LRM40A TBR to LRM60 TBR, i actually got better results with the LRM60s than the LRM40A post-patch. I literally had better games where I just lurm indiscriminately than trying to lurm properly than before.

This is clear for me, Artemis isn't really doing much good for the LRMs this patch. We might as well drop the artemis for more missiles or more tubes and lurm frantically for effect.

I assume the same with ATMs, but I'd yet to try them. I've also yet to try SSRMs.

I'll give an update after many other tries.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 21 August 2018 - 08:28 PM.

#2 Battlemaster56

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 21 August 2018 - 08:08 PM

Don't bother with lrm builds on my mechs, but I know in my Bloodlust runs in QP most lrm builds was mostly still non artemis both clan and spheroid. And I believe atms didn't use the artemis upgrade bug.

Edited by Battlemaster56, 22 August 2018 - 12:58 PM.

#3 Thorqemada

• 6,377 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 11:08 PM

Yeah, i only use 1 LRM bcs i like diversity Gameplay but the only thing the Patch encourages is going bigger (more LRM Tubes or other Weaponry) and ignore Artemis.

#4 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 22 August 2018 - 05:13 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 21 August 2018 - 08:00 PM, said:

I gotta say, the reduction in lock-speed and cone didn't really did as much as i think it did with LRMs. It may be because I got my own locks, I'm already okay in retaining locks before.

Although considering the Artemis changes, my previous Artemis builds were no longer viable, but playing without them and going for a heavier weapon -- say LRM10s to LRM15s. From LRM40A TBR to LRM60 TBR, i actually got better results with the LRM60s than the LRM40A post-patch. I literally had better games where I just lurm indiscriminately than trying to lurm properly than before.

This is clear for me, Artemis isn't really doing much good for the LRMs this patch. We might as well drop the artemis for more missiles or more tubes and lurm frantically for effect.

I assume the same with ATMs, but I'd yet to try them. I've also yet to try SSRMs.

I'll give an update after many other tries.

Ah.. I see your understanding is catching up..

Artemis being useless for LRMs, and the tonnage better serving a larger tube count or ammo count is not a new thing.. it was like that for a very very long time..

#5 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 22 August 2018 - 05:20 AM

Bottom line for everyone to understand is this: While the common QP pugs post patch have noticeably harder time with lurms, organized units that use spotters/Narcers have not suffered much. Dunno if PGI was targeting both groups, or one of them.

#6 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 22 August 2018 - 05:30 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 22 August 2018 - 05:20 AM, said:

Bottom line for everyone to understand is this: While the common QP pugs post patch have noticeably harder time with lurms, organized units that use spotters/Narcers have not suffered much. Dunno if PGI was targeting both groups, or one of them.

I think that they were targeting neither...

What they were trying to do was cater (yet again) to a small vocal minority of paying buy-every-mechpack people who were crying over LRMs because it was harder for them to facehug with SRM..

I don't mean to offend anyone, but it feels like us Lurmers are second class players in this game, and the go-to scapegoat.

I mean, even Duncan Fisher is making fun of us now.. So if you nerf a weapon system that is already considered bad by most players, it will still be a bad system, and nobody will argue, right?

Well guess what?

We argue.

#7 Magnus Santini

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 708 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 05:33 AM

In the garbage systems division of MWO, the 1-ton 1-slot penalty system per launcher plus ammo cost ("Artemis") I use on zero mechs. The rest of the division is: 1. MASC = 1 mech. 2. CASE = zero mechs. 3. Targeting computers = 1 mech. So don't care buff it nerf it so what.

#8 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 22 August 2018 - 12:20 PM

View PostVellron2005, on 22 August 2018 - 05:30 AM, said:

What they were trying to do was cater (yet again) to a small vocal minority of paying buy-every-mechpack people who were crying over LRMs because it was harder for them to facehug with SRM..

I don't mean to offend anyone, but it feels like us Lurmers are second class players in this game, and the go-to scapegoat.

I mean, even Duncan Fisher is making fun of us now.. So if you nerf a weapon system that is already considered bad by most players, it will still be a bad system, and nobody will argue, right?

Well guess what?

We argue.

Go ahead and offend.
AntiLRMFacsists.
They want to marginalize and bring you down?
Give some back.
As in life. Laugh in their face.
You'll feel better and will piss THEM off with your brashness. (How dare he go against me!)

#9 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 22 August 2018 - 02:22 PM

View PostVellron2005, on 22 August 2018 - 05:13 AM, said:

Ah.. I see your understanding is catching up..

Artemis being useless for LRMs, and the tonnage better serving a larger tube count or ammo count is not a new thing.. it was like that for a very very long time..

My understanding is catching up? You mean I could get better result by having larger tubes and lurming indiscriminately? You do know, that was said in reference to post-patch changes. Artemis isn't useless to LRMs before, now it is.

I valued the supposedly LOS-only Lock-Speed and Track-Strength bonus because getting one's own lock was rewarded -- which is apparently not. Don't flatter yourself, PGI just nerfed proper LRM builds and playstyles.

View PostVellron2005, on 22 August 2018 - 05:30 AM, said:

Spoiler

Why is that you're always acting like the victim for pity-points? Why do you spin this as if it's meant to oppress you and people like you. You're always turning this about identity like "lrm-users" as if the rest of the playerbase couldn't just use LRMs.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 22 August 2018 - 02:36 PM.

#10 Siegegun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 424 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 02:52 PM

PGI has made Artemis completely worthless for LRM builds now. The only reason I took it was for the lock on bonus. Its worthless for just tightened spread.

#11 Hiten Bongz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 228 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 August 2018 - 03:25 PM

View PostSiegegun, on 22 August 2018 - 02:52 PM, said:

PGI has made Artemis completely worthless for LRM builds now. The only reason I took it was for the lock on bonus. Its worthless for just tightened spread.

It's worthless for any missile loadout now. I just wish we had the option to at least remove the worthless POS from ATM launchers like every other missile system can do...but nah ATMs just gonna be stuck with additional weight and slots for a whole 25% spread reduction. Ridiculous...

#12 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 22 August 2018 - 05:38 PM

View PostHiten Bongz, on 22 August 2018 - 03:25 PM, said:

It's worthless for any missile loadout now. I just wish we had the option to at least remove the worthless POS from ATM launchers like every other missile system can do...but nah ATMs just gonna be stuck with additional weight and slots for a whole 25% spread reduction. Ridiculous...

Artemis is built into the ATM there ia no way to take them out unless you make up some entirely new weapon for a non inbuilt aretmis ATM's.

Edited by Battlemaster56, 22 August 2018 - 05:38 PM.

#13 Hiten Bongz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 228 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 August 2018 - 06:14 PM

View PostBattlemaster56, on 22 August 2018 - 05:38 PM, said:

Artemis is built into the ATM there ia no way to take them out unless you make up some entirely new weapon for a non inbuilt aretmis ATM's.

I know. The point of my comment (and my thread about this) was to poke at the fact that Artemis is not worth it's weight anymore, even when it comes built in to your launcher. I don't really want to remove it, I want the original lock speed/tracking bonuses back on my ATMs (not the double stacked exploit bonuses, just the original +50%s), because missiles that are primarily made for shooting in close/medium ranges need a more responsive lock than 80 LRM tubes sitting 3km away from their target.

Edited by Hiten Bongz, 22 August 2018 - 06:16 PM.

#14 Chados

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 22 August 2018 - 06:33 PM

If you’ve heavily invested in the sensor tree you can mitigate some of the Artemis loss with hang time on your locks once you get them. But the time to get locks and the ability to hold them is a lot harder. Frankly, I’ve parked all my missile mechs. They’re not fun anymore, there’s no strategy now-no missile bending, and ECM is everywhere, plus the active probes weren’t buffed when ECM got buffed. PPCs, autocannon, and lasers are where it’s at.

#15 Hiten Bongz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 228 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 August 2018 - 06:48 PM

View PostChados, on 22 August 2018 - 06:33 PM, said:

plus the active probes weren’t buffed when ECM got buffed.

Yeah really what kind of huge oversight is this?

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users