Public Test Session 2.1 - Alpha Balance Series - 24-Aug-18

215 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,777 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:00 PM

Public Test Session 2.1 - Alpha Balance Series
Friday 10:00AM PDT (5:00PM UTC), August 24th - Tuesday 10:00AM PDT (5:00PM UTC) August 28th

Greetings 'MechWarriors!

The Alpha Balance Series PTS 2.1 will be going live starting this Friday for the weekend!

Here are the PTS changes for session 2.1:

Max heat increased to 50 (from 40)
Max heat will remain a static value unaffected by heat sink assignments.

Design notes: While the increased dissipation times for PTS 2.0 have shown promising results, the tested threshold values simply saw too many different types of loadouts pushed into unusable territories. For this test, we want to have a second round of a testing environment where heatsinks did not add to the max allowable heat, but with a bit more of an operational overhead to allow for more room for more heat intensive loadouts to operate. We will be monitoring both the in-match results as well as any feedback provided.

Mobiltiy changes:
A number of mobility based bugs present no PTS 2.0 have been corrected for PTS 2.1.
A number of doc errors have been updated to more accurately reflect the intended changes.
Locust and Quickdraw added to the list of 'Mechs that have had increases to mobility for PTS 2.1
It should still be noted that given the volume of mobility changes within the PTS environment, there may still be instances of mobility based bugs present on this PTS.

Design notes: We are not changing much with this pass on the mobility front. This is because we want to collect more data utilizing the initial testing values. While we know that many are excited to utilize more mobile Heavy and Assault 'Mechs, we need to note that a major component to considering mobility based changes is how these values directly affect the various match-ups of heavier 'mechs vs the lighter 'Mechs. We want to keep things relatively static from where they where previously so that we can collect more direct data utilizing the intended PTS values.

So while we know that Heavy and Assault 'Mechs tend to be more popular in these kinds of test environments, we ask those play testing not to neglect Light and Medium 'Mech testing and how it feels to face heavier opponents with higher baseline mobility as this will be a major component that we will need just as much data on in order to consider these wider mobility changes for release.

A PDF on these changes can be reviewed HERE.

Rewards
To thank you for your time and feedback, we will be sending out a Reward for your participation in this Public Test Session 2.1 to all players who have played at least 10 matches with a minimum of 50 Match Score over this weekend.

The reward for this round of testing will allow you to unlock up to 45 Skill Nodes for a 'Mech.
These Rewards will be distributed once the Public Test Session 2.1 has completed on Tuesday, August 28th 2018

• 36,000 GXP
  • 2100,000 C-bills

#2 Sereglach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:05 PM

Any chance of throwing in the Demon girl from last week? The big FP event made getting matches on the PTS quite difficult; and sadly life kept me from playing PTS more than Friday Night. I think I only managed to get in 5 matches.

Hey, doesn't hurt to ask, right?

#3 Navid A1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:07 PM

I need the details

#4 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:16 PM

I am in.

You know what would be really nice? You guys could design a exclusive warhorn, badge, decal or hanging item and give them out as part of the rewards for PTS testers. I will bet that would bring out enough people to run 8v8 or 12v12 on the PTS server. For some reason gamers love "exclusive" stuff.

Edited by Rampage, 22 August 2018 - 04:25 PM.

#5 C337Skymaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:18 PM

Yes, details, please. I really, really liked the idea of higher mobility and more efficient heat sinks with a lower heat cap. I'm sad that I didn't get a chance to participate in that PTS, but I already have more CBills than I can spend, and the FP event is giving MC, with the added bonus of population available to allow earning Loyalty Points, which give 'mech bays. :) So my time is a little too divided. I do hope that you keep going in the direction of mobility and overall heat efficiency, as the weapons seem relatively balanced the way they are.

#6 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:41 PM

Can you ban pir 1 this time so we can test range lasers without being dead meat?

Edited by Monkey Lover, 22 August 2018 - 04:41 PM.

#7 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:44 PM

What if the PTS was carried out in stages by weight class. So first stage could be 20 to 35 ton 4v4. Then 40 to 55 ton 4v4, etc, etc. You'd get a focused idea on how the changes are effecting each weight range.

Edited by MechaBattler, 22 August 2018 - 04:44 PM.

#8 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:50 PM

View PostMechaBattler, on 22 August 2018 - 04:44 PM, said:

What if the PTS was carried out in stages by weight class. So first stage could be 20 to 35 ton 4v4. Then 40 to 55 ton 4v4, etc, etc. You'd get a focused idea on how the changes are effecting each weight range.

The thing is that the live game is a big sandbox inhabited by all robots simultaneously. Checks and balances that are in place for normal play won't be in place for class restricted situations. For example the crap agility and speed of mechs like the Dire Whale won't be a factor when all of your enemies are also in big fat assaults. The ankle biting power of the Piranha won't be as huge when you're up against Wolfhounds instead of fatties. Etc.

And of course the smaller player count is a really huge factor that makes the data collected much less accurate.

#9 NUMBERZero1032

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 148 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:51 PM

GXP? Finally, a PTS just for me!

#10 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:54 PM

View PostFupDup, on 22 August 2018 - 04:50 PM, said:

The thing is that the live game is a big sandbox inhabited by all robots simultaneously. Checks and balances that are in place for normal play won't be in place for class restricted situations. For example the crap agility and speed of mechs like the Dire Whale won't be a factor when all of your enemies are also in big fat assaults. The ankle biting power of the Piranha won't be as huge when you're up against Wolfhounds instead of fatties. Etc.

And of course the smaller player count is a really huge factor that makes the data collected much less accurate.

Well my concern is that we're not getting a very wide range of mechs. Mostly heavies and assaults. With the odd light or medium thrown into the mix. But then again I'm not looking at the data, only my own limited few matches. Be nice if they posted that kind of thing at the end of each PTS.

#11 KrocodockleTheBooBoxLoader-GetIn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 337 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:54 PM

Just give up on nerfing clans nobody wants it

#12 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:56 PM

looking forward to it,
im expecting some Faction Flavor this time,
perhaps keep IS as 0.2Dubs, but decrease Clan to 0.18to balance smaller DHSs,
perhaps also increase SHS to 0.15(up from 0.14) to help SHSs just abit more,

#13 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:58 PM

View PostKrocodockle, on 22 August 2018 - 04:54 PM, said:

They didn't release the details yet. >_<

#14 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:59 PM

View PostKrocodockle, on 22 August 2018 - 04:54 PM, said:

id except some Clan nerfs, having -5% something to make up for clans +10% +20% +50% other things, ;)

#15 Hiten Bongz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 228 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 August 2018 - 05:06 PM

Why didn't we get a missile balance PTS? Who the heck asked for Artemis to be nerfed into the ground? LRMers don't even use it, but ya ended up dragging the other lock-ons into the dirt with the typical blank-nerfing that nobody wants (remember Alpha Balance 1.X?). Poor show.

Edited by Hiten Bongz, 22 August 2018 - 05:07 PM.

#16 Axys Rageborn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 125 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 05:21 PM

I hope its similar to last time but this time round, SHS increase heat cap and DHS increase dissipation. Give two different directions to play which would be an interesting concept.

Edited by Axys Rageborn, 22 August 2018 - 06:42 PM.

#17 SFC174

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 695 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 06:13 PM

View PostRampage, on 22 August 2018 - 04:16 PM, said:

I am in.

You know what would be really nice? You guys could design a exclusive warhorn, badge, decal or hanging item and give them out as part of the rewards for PTS testers. I will bet that would bring out enough people to run 8v8 or 12v12 on the PTS server. For some reason gamers love "exclusive" stuff.

I believe the 2 Cicada warhorns they did for PTS 1 and 1.1 were pretty rare if not unique. They suck, but they're unique

#18 cougurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • 669 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 06:18 PM

View PostHiten Bongz, on 22 August 2018 - 05:06 PM, said:

Why didn't we get a missile balance PTS? Who the heck asked for Artemis to be nerfed into the ground? LRMers don't even use it, but ya ended up dragging the other lock-ons into the dirt with the typical blank-nerfing that nobody wants (remember Alpha Balance 1.X?). Poor show.

artemis wasn't really supposed to affect streaks and ATMs anyway, so i do approve of that change. that said, it may be a good idea to improve the base lock on speed to compensate.

#19 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 06:30 PM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 22 August 2018 - 04:00 PM, said:

This is Good News.

PGI, heartily recommend you increase visibility on this, promote it heavily and expand the test groups to 8v8.

The mobility buffs combined with the high alph nerfs and other considerations will have a much more amplified effect as you get closer to 12v12. While I recognize that 12v12 probably isn't tenable due to the smaller pool of people that participate in PTS, this was one of your most well received PTS to date and you have the opportunity here to get more involved.

I'm leery of the combination of changes unleashing a boogieman on live, as unforseen impacts from the greater number of pilots being involved in regular matches finally unveils what these changes really bring to the table.

8v8!

#20 Hiten Bongz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 228 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 August 2018 - 06:52 PM

View Postcougurt, on 22 August 2018 - 06:18 PM, said:

artemis wasn't really supposed to affect streaks and ATMs anyway

Streaks no, but ATMs come with Artemis baked-in, so ATMs got two nerfs directly due to Artemis getting the nerfbat (lock speed and tracking).

Anyways I'll be participating in the PTS again, sure. I'm still salty over my dang ATMs though, plz roll out a missile/Artemis PTS next. Lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users