Gameplay Mode Maps

40 replies to this topic

#21 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 11:04 PM

MW4 Mercenaries at Solaris was FFA in multiplayer mode with unlimited respawns. It can also be set with AI bots endlessly spawning and killing each other. This is how it looks in story mode.

#22 Wil McCullough

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 11:05 PM

View PostAnjian, on 27 August 2018 - 09:57 PM, said:

Not if you let the respawns spawn close to each other.

Forced brawls?

Game mode will be deader than the dodo man. Just like solaris.

#23 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 27 August 2018 - 11:08 PM

View PostIronRiders, on 27 August 2018 - 04:49 PM, said:

Each player selects a dropdeck of 4 mechs to use during the FFA. FFA is timed (10, 20, 30 mins) and the player with the most kills at the end wins the round. rewards are performance based like usual with an additional prize for the winner.

You do realize only the top players would ever win anything right? It would be like Solaris, where only the elite few reaped the rewards, while the normal, casual players, simply stopped playing cose' they didn't see a point..

It would be better if you had a dropdeck to select mechs from, unlimited respawn, you connect to an hour long conflict on a randomly chosen map, play for as long as you want, after you disconnect, "you take what you killed". Groups of 2-4 allowed only.

The game mode would switch during play.. it would be like "ok, first it was skirmish, but now a VIP showed up, go kill/protect it for extra rewards"..

#24 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 01:10 AM

View PostWil McCullough, on 27 August 2018 - 11:05 PM, said:

Forced brawls? Game mode will be deader than the dodo man. Just like solaris.

Never had that problem back in MW4, along with a couple of other games I've played.

#25 NUMBERZero1032

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 148 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 28 August 2018 - 01:19 AM

No. PGI has said their game code cannot support any type of Free For All mode. Two teams is the only available game mode. That's all there is to it.

#26 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,870 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 01:36 AM

View PostNUMBERZero1032, on 28 August 2018 - 01:19 AM, said:

No. PGI has said their game code cannot support any type of Free For All mode. Two teams is the only available game mode. That's all there is to it.

did the person that said this have a computer science degree?

#27 Wil McCullough

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 02:13 AM

View PostAnjian, on 28 August 2018 - 01:10 AM, said:

Never had that problem back in MW4, along with a couple of other games I've played.

Seems to be a problem for this particular game though, which is more important don't you think? I'm trying to be realistic here.

#28 NUMBERZero1032

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 148 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 28 August 2018 - 03:06 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 28 August 2018 - 01:36 AM, said:

did the person that said this have a computer science degree?

It was Paul.

#29 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 03:15 AM

View PostWil McCullough, on 28 August 2018 - 02:13 AM, said:

Seems to be a problem for this particular game though, which is more important don't you think? I'm trying to be realistic here.

How is that a particular problem for MWO when it has never tried it.

#30 Wil McCullough

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 03:42 AM

View PostAnjian, on 28 August 2018 - 03:15 AM, said:

Small maps that force brawls is basically solaris in five words. Solaris is dead.

Now, small maps and forcing brawls hasn't been tried in a 12v12 format. But you have to be special to not realize that if a movement to get people to wear pants on their head at home won't work, asking them to do it in public won't have much chance of success either.

#31 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 04:44 AM

View PostWil McCullough, on 28 August 2018 - 03:42 AM, said:

Small maps that force brawls is basically solaris in five words. Solaris is dead.

Now, small maps and forcing brawls hasn't been tried in a 12v12 format. But you have to be special to not realize that if a movement to get people to wear pants on their head at home won't work, asking them to do it in public won't have much chance of success either.

Why? Works well on other games. Small maps, all out brawling. People are not camping, but go all out for your throat early. 12 v 12 is just in consideration for the size of MWO maps, which are on the big side, leading to a lot of unused space.

The number of players and the size of the maps can be adjusted relative to the results of play testing. You really won't know unless you tried and experimented and fine tuned. Its not going to work perfectly outright, you have to use the data and experience to fine tune player numbers and map sizes.

The introduction of FFA proved to be quite successful on War Robots. It also farms better damage per match, which raises your damage and revenue average per game. Not my thing but a lot of people play it. During play testing, the mode had different numbers to as high as 12, and this was adjusted to 6. WR's maps though are much smaller than MWO's.

As I said before, FFA aka Deathmatch is a common game mode among many older games like Mechwarrior 4.

Edited by Anjian, 28 August 2018 - 04:57 AM.

#32 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 28 August 2018 - 06:34 AM

View PostAnjian, on 28 August 2018 - 03:15 AM, said:

So-called "coding" vs. real honest-to-goodness software development. Posted Image

#33 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 07:16 AM

Solaris - "Spawn Camping!" Sounds like a lot of fun... LOL!

#34 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 28 August 2018 - 07:18 AM

View PostNUMBERZero1032, on 28 August 2018 - 01:19 AM, said:

Its like AI ...IK ..collisionssystem ....PGI nothing can do

#35 Wil McCullough

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 09:36 AM

View PostAnjian, on 28 August 2018 - 04:44 AM, said:

Why? Works well on other games. Small maps, all out brawling. People are not camping, but go all out for your throat early. 12 v 12 is just in consideration for the size of MWO maps, which are on the big side, leading to a lot of unused space.

The number of players and the size of the maps can be adjusted relative to the results of play testing. You really won't know unless you tried and experimented and fine tuned. Its not going to work perfectly outright, you have to use the data and experience to fine tune player numbers and map sizes.

The introduction of FFA proved to be quite successful on War Robots. It also farms better damage per match, which raises your damage and revenue average per game. Not my thing but a lot of people play it. During play testing, the mode had different numbers to as high as 12, and this was adjusted to 6. WR's maps though are much smaller than MWO's.

As I said before, FFA aka Deathmatch is a common game mode among many older games like Mechwarrior 4.

Is wr ffa single elimination or unlimited respawn/timer? I've never played it.

#36 Viking Yelling

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 10:20 AM

This sounds like it will get as far as third person camera in MWO.

#37 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,870 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 02:01 PM

View PostNUMBERZero1032, on 28 August 2018 - 03:06 AM, said:

It was Paul.

that sounds more like upper management making excuses to me.

#38 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 06:30 PM

View PostWil McCullough, on 28 August 2018 - 09:36 AM, said:

Is wr ffa single elimination or unlimited respawn/timer? I've never played it.

Limited respawn with drop deck, tickets and timer. You can choose to run through your entire deck of four or five chosen mechs, or if you respawn a consumed mech with tickets you earned during your performance throughout match. If you ran out of both you are eliminated. The one with the most kills wins. The top three players leading the match are indicated by crowns on top of their heads, so you can factor your match strategy with this. For example, I may "give" my already crippled mech to someone who didn't kill much during the match so not to increase the lead of the leaders. If you abandon a mech, that will be a negative kill point.

Advantage of the game mode: Higher than average damage per match, yielding high revenue. Mostly brawling and speed for those who like this style. Much more tactical than you would expect. Fast rank progression, since the upper 50% moves up.

Disadvantage of the game mode: Players kill stealing. Builds favor high burst damage. Not suitable for longer ranged players (I don't play it for that reason.) Players, especially those from the same clan or know each other, ganging up on others.

So its not perfect, but is good enough to keep some people going and add a needed variety. The mode is only played by option.

Edited by Anjian, 28 August 2018 - 06:35 PM.

#39 Jussup Von Zeidel

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 11:46 PM

Maybe just Lance Vs Lance In Solaris?

#40 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 01:21 AM

I got another idea which I thought might be more unique for MWO.

Basically its a lance level battle royale with six lances, requiring the attainment of objectives that will give you tickets that can allow you to "purchase" respawns or a fresh mech change over for your team. Objectives include the capping of certain points, minimum damage attainment, minimum kill attainment. A mech change over means selecting a fresh mech from a given drop deck that is not the original which you dropped in, which can also be a respawn on its own. A respawn means you can play the same mech over and over again. Each lance has one free respawn and one free mech change per team member, and if you want more than that, you have to earn.

You drop with the same 24 people, but now divided into six lances, four players per lance. Each lance will try to have one weight class each.

This scale might require larger maps this time.

Edited by Anjian, 29 August 2018 - 01:24 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users