68 replies to this topic

#21 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 September 2018 - 06:53 PM

dante245 thank you, for being a positive influence in the forums and community. Instead of complaining you are moving forward with a building solution and this is very commendable.

#22 Ensaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 831 posts
  • LocationOn a frozen rock .....

Posted 03 September 2018 - 03:01 AM

View PostGingerk1d, on 30 August 2018 - 12:58 PM, said:

Hey dante,

Not really here to argue with you, just adding my opinion since I have some experience with community organizing. I want the game to succeed, and community is a big part of that, so trying to help out.

Currently the chat market is cornered by twitch chat and discord. I prefer the latter. I'm familiar with how Discord scales and it goes way beyond 30 users. There is no pay for user cap. You can disable the in game overlays. There's a mobile app you can use to keep up with your unit/faction/whatever on the go. It makes sense.

The crux of this post is "how do we unite a dwindling community". The solution you've proposed is 10-15 years behind the technology curve. It is not a good path for future success.

Not even close to accurate.......Teamspeak is a Voice Comms program, not a social media platform.
It has way more features than Discord, some for the Server admin, some for channel operators, but overall, Teamspeak is a lot more professional.

The only reason Discord got anywhere is because the server side is 'free' (although there are no true servers), and you can post a pic of your dog....... that's the end of it......

The interface is way more straightforward.

Stop with the Discord thing......

#23 dante245

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 577 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 September 2018 - 03:49 AM

View PostEnsaine, on 03 September 2018 - 03:01 AM, said:

Not even close to accurate.......Teamspeak is a Voice Comms program, not a social media platform.
It has way more features than Discord, some for the Server admin, some for channel operators, but overall, Teamspeak is a lot more professional.

The only reason Discord got anywhere is because the server side is 'free' (although there are no true servers), and you can post a pic of your dog....... that's the end of it......

The interface is way more straightforward.

Stop with the Discord thing......

I thank you for your feedback I feel the same way... But on that note I would like it if we could try and get back to the original topic. Just maybe. Lol

#24 Aylward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 606 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCleveland, OH

Posted 04 September 2018 - 12:54 PM

Will add a HPG channel at the top of Davion TS for you.. hope it helps with the crossover traffic.

#25 dante245

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 577 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 September 2018 - 10:21 PM

View PostAylward, on 04 September 2018 - 12:54 PM, said:

Will add a HPG channel at the top of Davion TS for you.. hope it helps with the crossover traffic.

thank you aylward and the davion hub. :) thats a good start. we now have Steiner hub, davion hub, us and mercstar. anyone else?:)

View PostThunderMax, on 04 September 2018 - 03:32 PM, said:

Just use both TeamSpeak and Discord. Not that hard of a compromise. Put links to eachother.

i did say in the OP that it would work for both. its other "ts is a dinosaur" players who made it into a Teamspeak vs discord debate in the first place. :) im glad to see it getting back on track though.

#26 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,335 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:04 AM

View Postdante245, on 30 August 2018 - 10:14 PM, said:

one last note, trying to force discord down peoples throats who clearly find it clumsy and annoying its not helping unite the community. i think if people actually used TS and were involved on well run TS servers, they would see why everyone is so upset when people talk bad about TS. i think discord is a cancer if it splits the community up into thousands of small, bubble like units instead of one, singular community area. MWO is purely a team game, and needs community to thrive. its not compatible long term with discord.

Via this argument, you've actually made the strongest case for discord: MWO is purely a team game, and needs community to thrive.

Literally this. Discord is: 100% free, can be run out of a web browser, and does not require a person to commit to downloading software they may not want. It's relatively simple out of the box. Click and go management.

Look, I've dealt with every damned chat program there was out there, TS2, TS3, Roger Wilco, Vent, Discord, Skype, hell I've used Yahoo Messenger for voice chat over the years!

And flat out, the most simple, straightforward, FREE solution that exists, that allows EVERYONE who plays this game to connect... is Discord.

The fact you are so anti-discord, shows you are either 1)too set in your ways to change, thus would stifle those who came to your unit. or 2)too old to understand the simplicity of Discord.

Sounds like your group isn't really good for the longevity of MWO either.

#27 Ensaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 831 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 04:11 AM

View PostCMDR Sunset Shimmer, on 05 September 2018 - 01:04 AM, said:

Via this argument, you've actually made the strongest case for discord: MWO is purely a team game, and needs community to thrive.

Literally this. Discord is: 100% free, can be run out of a web browser, and does not require a person to commit to downloading software they may not want. It's relatively simple out of the box. Click and go management.

Look, I've dealt with every damned chat program there was out there, TS2, TS3, Roger Wilco, Vent, Discord, Skype, hell I've used Yahoo Messenger for voice chat over the years!

And flat out, the most simple, straightforward, FREE solution that exists, that allows EVERYONE who plays this game to connect... is Discord.

The fact you are so anti-discord, shows you are either 1)too set in your ways to change, thus would stifle those who came to your unit. or 2)too old to understand the simplicity of Discord.

Sounds like your group isn't really good for the longevity of MWO either.

Wow, ..............

For the client, Teamspeak is 100% free. If you're not running a server, this shouldn't concern you.
There are known issues when using Discord's push to talk using the web interface, which quite honestly, sucks IMO......

TS offers a clean, streamlined view of the channels, without having X or Y inappropriate pictures being posted, and massive ASCII text spam going through the chat area ......

There is no comparison regarding simplicity. Teamspeak is simple, streamlined, and has NO social media bullcrap in it.

#28 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,335 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 05 September 2018 - 07:34 AM

View PostEnsaine, on 05 September 2018 - 04:11 AM, said:

Wow, ..............

For the client, Teamspeak is 100% free. If you're not running a server, this shouldn't concern you.
There are known issues when using Discord's push to talk using the web interface, which quite honestly, sucks IMO......

TS offers a clean, streamlined view of the channels, without having X or Y inappropriate pictures being posted, and massive ASCII text spam going through the chat area ......

There is no comparison regarding simplicity. Teamspeak is simple, streamlined, and has NO social media bullcrap in it.

you keep coming to "Social media bullcrap" regarding Team Speak... I assure you, there IS social Media ******** on TS... my friends and I used to post meme's connected to our names over TS all the time.

if that's literally your one major hangup... maybe go yell at them... the general population of MWO players, arn't going to want to deal with TS3 when there is 1) a perfectly useable ingame VOIP solution. and 2)Discord which is more readily available to the average end user.

So... to throw it back at you

Wow, ..............

I'd also like to remind you, the fastest way to connect with the devs for this game, isn't even their own website, but TWITTER... another social media platform.

You need to get over your soc media hate ***** bro.

Edited by CMDR Sunset Shimmer, 05 September 2018 - 07:35 AM.

#29 Starwulfe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 163 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 12:14 PM

Dante, The Comstar TS is back up if that's helpful to your efforts

#30 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 02:06 PM

View PostStarwulfe, on 05 September 2018 - 12:14 PM, said:

Dante, The Comstar TS is back up if that's helpful to your efforts

Yup, comstar is back!

#31 dante245

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 577 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 September 2018 - 02:21 PM

Yeah I've already contacted the guys who run Comstar to see if they can put a central hpg node on the comstar Ts. And will you people please shut the hell up about discord vs teamspeak. Just please let it die already. Told you a billion times it has nothing to do with the OP. Your doing nothing but drawing the topic away from this community builder tool. I said only reason i now have beef with discord was cause of the a holes who kept and keep arguing about it. You guys made me hate it..cause i hate your attitudes and your face.

PS most people seem to disagree with you. And TS has no "picture posting" or text spam..i and every major unit who use it can confirm.

Can some one please do me a solid and contact the owners of comstar and tell them to message me back? Would be big help

Edited by dante245, 05 September 2018 - 05:50 PM.

#32 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 02:23 PM

Dude just log on and message one of the admins.

#33 dante245

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 577 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 September 2018 - 02:29 PM

I have. They dont reply. On TS or via forums. Ive messaged ach and other admins. Posted Image and considering the DAVION, STEINER, MERCSTAR owners and admins have replied, and most on board, its frustrating.

Edited by dante245, 05 September 2018 - 05:51 PM.

#34 dante245

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 577 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 September 2018 - 02:37 PM

I'm still waiting to hear from the owners of the Liao and various Clan team speaks and Discords but to no avail yet. Please in your passings let the various merc teamspeaks know about this thread.

#35 Ensaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 831 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 03:44 AM

REDACTED :)

Edited by Ensaine, 06 September 2018 - 03:45 AM.

#36 Tier5ForLife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 481 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 03:53 AM

I tried discord for a few days. I found it very annoying.

#37 dante245

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 577 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 September 2018 - 10:58 AM

View PostLikeUntoBuddha, on 06 September 2018 - 03:53 AM, said:

I tried discord for a few days. I found it very annoying.

though i would agree with you...ill keep saying this till it sinks in....THIS THREAD WAS NOT, IS NOT, AND SHOULD NEVER BE about whos better....discord or Teamspeak. i prefer teamspeak and its features, i dislike discord and features " more so since people keep arguing about it", but the OP of this thread said...very clearly....this will work for both discord and Team-speak. i dont care which you use...just create the HPG node as a sub channel or main channel with the needed info on teamspeak/discord channels and Unit run community events. its that simple people. what is so hard to understand about this?

Edited by dante245, 06 September 2018 - 10:59 AM.

#38 dante245

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 577 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 September 2018 - 11:21 AM

View PostEnsaine, on 06 September 2018 - 03:44 AM, said:

REDACTED Posted Image

and there is this....im curious to know what you were saying or about to say. i mean really!!... is trying to help a dying game stay alive, create a "more fun and vibrant" community and unite the ever dwindling player base for MWO under one, seamless network of team-speak and discords and linking distraught players with community ran events that provide something other than whats in the game a horrible thing? is it really worth attacking me over using teamspeak over discord or saying teamspeak is better then discord "even though evidence supports this", really worth destroying one of the last best hopes for a healthy, collaborative MWO community? has this community really come to this?

Edited by dante245, 06 September 2018 - 11:22 AM.

#39 dante245

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 577 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 September 2018 - 12:08 AM

hey..lets continue the discussion. :)

#40 DRlFTER

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 04:12 PM

Dante, ARC7 will get a local Comstar hub TS section set up on our TS, and update the Comstar TS with our drop nights, once you get permission to centralize all of the info there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users