• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 609 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn DireStar with Heavy Naval PPC

Posted 02 May 2019 - 01:18 AM

Did you done a run with newest Proton on Steam?

#62 ohartenstein23

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 11:36 AM

Only a cursory attempt. The Proton versions I have outside the local build will not properly initialize a wine prefix for MWO on my system so I haven't given them a more comprehensive test.

#63 Stormtux

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 11:33 PM

View PostCh_R0me, on 02 May 2019 - 01:18 AM, said:

Did you done a run with newest Proton on Steam?

I am currently using proton compiled from the tag "proton_4.2" (last commit is fd5f3d0fba76906c280684dee8aae6f1f77bb11c in date May 1) and it works fine.
I even found the cause of the "crashes" I previously mentioned. The cause was me sometimes clicking the "Exit game" button instead of the "Quit match" when quitting before the end of the match Posted Image . Since this embarrassing discovery I never had a crash, the game is stable.

#64 Ch_R0me

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 609 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 01:16 AM

I'm thinking to actually compile a tkg-proton build, but IDK if contains MwO-related patches. If not - well, I know how to use "patch" command ;)

https://git.froggi.e...ster/proton-tkg

#65 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:03 AM

View PostCh_R0me, on 16 May 2019 - 01:16 AM, said:

I'm thinking to actually compile a tkg-proton build, but IDK if contains MwO-related patches. If not - well, I know how to use "patch" command ;)

https://git.froggi.e...ster/proton-tkg
The documentation says "proton-tkg.cfg" and the mwo fix is one of the options there.

I run standalone wine-tkg-git and MWO performance has been really good for a while now.

#66 p5yc0runn3r

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 11:45 AM

I have made MWO work without compiling anything. These are what I used:
  • Latest Steam (to download game, IMPORTANT)
  • Latest Lutris (to run the game on WINE)
  • Gamemode (for performance)
  • Install Steam and download MWO.
  • Install Lutris and import MWO from steam.
  • Set up MWO to run on WINE with tkg-MWO-4.1 patch
  • Enable DXVK and ESYNC
  • Run Gamemode
  • Run MWO from Lutris.

#67 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:08 AM

I'm finally happy with how my environment for MWO is set up.

Copying updates from Steam to a stand-alone installation since the Launcher has not worked for a few months. Can't get dotnet to work in such a messy environment.

Wine-tkg built from https://github.com/T...er/wine-tkg-git with MWO patch and other options resulting in a monster of a package name.

wine-tkg-staging-esync-dxvk-faudio-git-4.7.r0.g547e7c81-162-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

dxvk includes the async patch

Then I launch the game using the following script:
#!/bin/bash
cd /home/gagis/.local/share/wineprefixes/mwo/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Piranha\ Games/MechWarrior\ Online/
export WINEPREFIX=/home/gagis/.local/share/wineprefixes/mwo

export WINEDEBUG=-all

export WINEESYNC=1

export DXVK_ASYNC=1
export DXVK_STATE_CACHE=1

export LD_PRELOAD="libpthread.so.0 libGL.so.1"
export __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1
export __GL_SHADER_DISK_CACHE=1
export __GL_SHADER_DISK_CACHE_PATH=/home/gagis/.shadercache
export __GL_SHADER_DISK_CACHE_SKIP_CLEANUP=1

export STAGING_SHARED_MEMORY=1

wine ./Bin64/MWOClient.exe

Edited by Gagis, 21 May 2019 - 08:09 AM.

#68 Ch_R0me

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 609 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 04:13 AM

View PostGagis, on 16 May 2019 - 02:03 AM, said:

The documentation says "proton-tkg.cfg" and the mwo fix is one of the options there.

(...)

View PostGagis, on 21 May 2019 - 08:08 AM, said:

(..)

Then I launch the game using the following script:
#!/bin/bash
export WINEPREFIX=[$_MWO_LOCATION_STEAM_MODIFY_ME]

export WINEDEBUG=-all

export WINEESYNC=1

export DXVK_ASYNC=1

export __GL_SHADER_DISK_CACHE_PATH=/home/1000/.shadercache

Cool. I think for Proton, it would work that way, of course with the launch command removed (provided that modified Proton is compiled and installed):

/home/1000/abovescript %command%

in launch parameters in Steam.

Sources:
https://www.reddit.c...er_a_game_runs/
https://github.com/V...nux/issues/5740

Edited by Ch_R0me, 23 May 2019 - 04:16 AM.

#69 mclang

• PipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 10:12 PM

View Postp5yc0runn3r, on 19 May 2019 - 11:45 AM, said:

I have made MWO work without compiling anything. These are what I used:
  • Latest Steam (to download game, IMPORTANT)
  • Latest Lutris (to run the game on WINE)
  • Gamemode (for performance)
  • Install Steam and download MWO.
  • Install Lutris and import MWO from steam.
  • Set up MWO to run on WINE with tkg-MWO-4.1 patch
  • Enable DXVK and ESYNC
  • Run Gamemode
  • Run MWO from Lutris.

This worked for me also, except that I cannot use my Thrustmaster throttle stick as I am used to. The game crashes every time immediately when I try to map any button or axis of the throttle :(

In addition, minor issue is that in mechbay the mech is dark, but this doesn't affect gameplay.

Any idea what could cause the crash?

I'm using Solus with Lutris 0.5.2.1, tkg-mwo-4.5 and the newest nvidia drivers that are available (430.14) for me.

Edit: Here is my Lutris log about the crash:
https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/4Hrs5FZS7H/

Edited by mclang, 12 June 2019 - 10:37 AM.

#70 TigerOne

• Pip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 04:44 PM

Not to necro a thread here, but I'm running Ubuntu 19.04 with Lutris and I've tried about every Wine runner there is. I can get the game to run but it runs at about 2 fps. Running the latest drivers, libvulkan installed, Mesa drivers, etc, but I can't get the framerate to improve. Any suggestions? Would the log output help? I'm getting an error at startup that says my 1080 ti is not supported, so I'd guess it's running in software rendering mode...

#71 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 10:43 PM

View PostTigerOne, on 21 July 2019 - 04:44 PM, said:

Not to necro a thread here, but I'm running Ubuntu 19.04 with Lutris and I've tried about every Wine runner there is. I can get the game to run but it runs at about 2 fps. Running the latest drivers, libvulkan installed, Mesa drivers, etc, but I can't get the framerate to improve. Any suggestions? Would the log output help? I'm getting an error at startup that says my 1080 ti is not supported, so I'd guess it's running in software rendering mode...

I haven't used Lutris myself but it should have the wine-tkg-mwo version you need to select, then tick on dxvk support and use dx11 mode.

The unsupported card thing always happens for everyone and means nothing.

#72 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 10:16 PM

I made myself a fresh install since all the accumulated hacks and workarounds in my old one were starting to bother me a bit.

#1. I installed vanilla Wine and made a fresh wine prefix since dotnet stuff failed on my patched wine.
#2. winetricks dotnet452
#3. winecfg. Set up my preferred options and Windows version to 10.
#4. Ran MWO Portal installer
#5. Replaced my wine with wine patched with staging, esync and mwo-fix and enabled dxvk. Portal still succesfully runs.

No other overrides besides dotnet were necessary.

Edited by Gagis, 23 July 2019 - 10:18 PM.

#73 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 06:46 AM

View PostGagis, on 23 July 2019 - 10:16 PM, said:

I made myself a fresh install since all the accumulated hacks and workarounds in my old one were starting to bother me a bit.

#1. I installed vanilla Wine and made a fresh wine prefix since dotnet stuff failed on my patched wine.
#2. winetricks dotnet452
#3. winecfg. Set up my preferred options and Windows version to 10.
#4. Ran MWO Portal installer
#5. Replaced my wine with wine patched with staging, esync and mwo-fix and enabled dxvk. Portal still succesfully runs.

No other overrides besides dotnet were necessary.

hello.

I'm curious (and lazy), so: how does it run on linux, compared to a win10 installation? ;)

#74 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 11:56 AM

View PostTeenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, on 24 July 2019 - 06:46 AM, said:

I'm curious (and lazy), so: how does it run on linux, compared to a win10 installation? Posted Image

The performance loss is bigger than on many other games but since the introduction of dxvk the performance has been okay.

I have plenty of RAM, i5 6600 and GTX970 and I get about 60-70 fps in quick play and 50-60 in faction play. I have not tested it myself but I imagine I'd get at least +10 on windows.

Edited by Gagis, 24 July 2019 - 11:59 AM.

#75 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 12:33 PM

View PostGagis, on 24 July 2019 - 11:56 AM, said:

The performance loss is bigger than on many other games but since the introduction of dxvk the performance has been okay.

I have plenty of RAM, i5 6600 and GTX970 and I get about 60-70 fps in quick play and 50-60 in faction play. I have not tested it myself but I imagine I'd get at least +10 on windows.

thx for the intel, mate :)
I prefer to run my stuff on linux, also - but games.. they're one of the last remaining barriers to a windows-free world, I guess ;)

#76 narconius-maximus-tiberius

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 03:31 AM

Thank you for the great resource. I am new to the game and dont know how to use windows since XP but managed to get wine to run MWO client from command line.

I run it on a ryzen laptop with a vega 8 gpu and manage between 20-30 FPS low settings using DX9. This was substantially lower before i installed dual channel DDR4 because the GPU shares the system memory bandwidth.

I am wondering if i can get better performance through optimisation? Should i also try to get the game through the other links provided at the head of this thread? eg: Lutris or proton and steam.

The system has up to date AMD open source drivers and is generally cutting edge since its a debian rolling distribution: kernel 5.2.5-towo.3-siduction-amd64

Finally i noticed in this thread people use some sort of caching and optimisations command in their shell script. What are the requirements/performance advantages of this?

export WINEDEBUG=-all

export WINEESYNC=1

export DXVK_ASYNC=1

export __GL_SHADER_DISK_CACHE_PATH=/home/gagis/.shadercache

#77 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 05:54 AM

I recommend installing dxvk and using DX11 mode. It should give much better performance than DX9 does.

WINEESYNC and DXVK exports are specific to their namesake patches I have on Wine. Esync has been merged into very new versions of wine-staging so that might be available pre-built on bleeding edge wine repositories for most distributions soon. dxvk with the async patch is a bit of a pain in the *** to install unless you use Arch Linux, so you might want to stick to mainline dxvk instead.

The LD preload and THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS stuff are spesific to some upgrades that happened in Nvidia drivers in the past and I need to test later if they still improve performance or not. They might become obsolete over time.

The shader cache stuff is also for Nvidia drivers and typically is nice to have for most games. I get performance boost from it mostly for Path of Exile, but I keep it enabled for MWO too.

Staging shared memory is a minor performance improvement that can give more of a benefit in some corner cases. Its not essential at all, but is nice to have since it should not cause any issues. It has been in wine-staging for ages so should be there on older versions too.

#78 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 06:00 AM

One more thing. MWO gets bottlenecked by CPU easy, especially on modern multi-core processors such as Ryzens. I'll include my user.cfg from my MWO install folder here too, since especially the HUD stuff improves MWO FPS a great deal. This stuff is not spesific to Linux and also helps players who play this on Windows:
;  This is my 'user.cfg' from Mechwarrior Online install folder.
;  For Steam users it will be in 'Steam/SteamApps/common/Mechwarrior Online'.
;  Needs 'tuning.cfg' in same folder which says 'exec user.cfg'.
;  Both are simple text files.

;  This block disables the Level of Detail scaling for objects further away from you.
;  Object detail is typically not a bottleneck on modern computers, so you can disable
;  the low detail models that can be misleading when sniping.
e_Lods = 0
e_TerrainLodRatio = 1
r_DepthOfField = 3
r_DepthOfFieldBokeh = 1

;  Just the default value for the cockpit light. Do with it whatever you like the most.
gp_default_cockpit_light = 2

;  This block usually helps the most since the Flash based HUD behaves weirdly on modern computers.
;  Normally the HUD that runs on a single core tries to refresh itself
;  for every frame the GPU wants to draw.
;  This can be a crippling bottleneck.
;  '1' is definitely too fast of an update rate and '10' is obviously too slow.
;  I like '3'. It means one update every three frames.
gp_hud_ams_update = 3
gp_hud_compass_update = 3
gp_hud_ecm_update = 3
gp_hud_engine_update = 3
gp_hud_heading_update = 3
gp_hud_heat_update = 3
gp_hud_stealth_armour_update = 3
gp_hud_targetinfo_update = 3
gp_hud_textwarning_update = 3
gp_hud_throttle_update = 3
gp_hud_weapon_update = 3

;  MWO can get confused about if its in focus or not, especially when streaming.
sys_SleepIfInactive = 0

;  This supposedly enables some optimization on NVidia cards. I have not confirmed it.
r_ShadowsDepthBoundNV = 1

Edited by Gagis, 11 August 2019 - 06:03 AM.

#79 narconius-maximus-tiberius

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:42 AM

View PostGagis, on 11 August 2019 - 05:54 AM, said:

I recommend installing dxvk and using DX11 mode. It should give much better performance than DX9 does.

WINEESYNC and DXVK exports are specific to their namesake patches I have on Wine.

Thanks for this granular explanation as i went off researched each line and decided to build the DXVK into my setup and was able to get DX11 going and a jump in performance.

WINEESYNC is next. Ill probably go off the resource provided here as ill end up implementing practically everything in this wine build:

https://github.com/T...er/wine-tkg-git

View PostGagis, on 11 August 2019 - 06:00 AM, said:

One more thing. MWO gets bottlenecked by CPU easy, especially on modern multi-core processors such as Ryzens.

Thanks ill implement stuff from this config after ive tried WINEESYNC via the PKGBUILDS github resource.

#80 narconius-maximus-tiberius

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 08:52 AM

In the end i got it running fine with Lutris.

clone lutris from here:
git clone https://github.com/lutris/lutris.git
From that i was able to add DXVK +10fps and then WINEESYNC +15fps into my setup.
This really helps make the game playable on ryzen laptop with built in Vega gpu.

The system is able to run 30-40fps which is good enough for me.

Edited by narconius-maximus-tiberius, 26 August 2019 - 09:01 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users