#41 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 24 September 2018 - 08:33 AM

View PostMechwarrior 37, on 24 September 2018 - 06:12 AM, said:

FW is freaking mind-numbing. Be prepared to be confused, used and pissed off.

I can't take your comment seriously. You don't even have an allegiance meaning you made the conscious decision to take the lower payout of freelancer.

#42 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 24 September 2018 - 09:56 AM

View PostMechwarrior 37, on 24 September 2018 - 06:12 AM, said:

FW is freaking mind-numbing. Be prepared to be confused, used and pissed off.

If FW is confusing to you, honestly your only going to be useful as a meatshield anyway, so being used and pissed off is pretty much all you can do.

#43 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 24 September 2018 - 10:35 AM

View PostTWIAFU, on 24 September 2018 - 03:16 AM, said:

I base(d) my post and opinions on personal experiences in the past. I hope it has not changed that much as I have a good deal of respect for the program they had developed and the training I had received.
The materials have improved, but level of organization and new member experience declined.
At least that's how it was last month, when all but two of their trainers - myself included - left .

#44 ccrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 12:10 PM

View PostEisenhorne, on 24 September 2018 - 09:56 AM, said:

If FW is confusing to you, honestly your only going to be useful as a meatshield anyway, so being used and pissed off is pretty much all you can do.
maybe he also fell victim to falling Onions from the sky. :)

#45 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 24 September 2018 - 12:14 PM

View Postccrider, on 24 September 2018 - 12:10 PM, said:

maybe he also fell victim to falling Onions from the sky. Posted Image

.... god damn falling onions.

#46 ccrider

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 01:00 PM

View PostEisenhorne, on 24 September 2018 - 12:14 PM, said:

.... god damn falling onions.
it was pretty awesome, you gotta admit it. You should come Onion drop with us sometime. We do it in small groups and look for ways to ambush full teams. I've found some sneaky places on nearly every map.

#47 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 02:23 PM

View Postccrider, on 24 September 2018 - 01:00 PM, said:

it was pretty awesome, you gotta admit it. You should come Onion drop with us sometime. We do it in small groups and look for ways to ambush full teams. I've found some sneaky places on nearly every map.

hmm... 3x onions and 1x urbie...?!
sign me up, mate! ;D

#48 ccrider

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 04:30 PM

View PostTeenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, on 24 September 2018 - 02:23 PM, said:

hmm... 3x onions and 1x urbie...?!
sign me up, mate! ;D
got a bring a jumping cicada. It's a full on hipster deck. :)

#49 McGoat

Banned -Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 629 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 04:03 AM

lol FP

Sadly it's just **** now if you're wanting to do anything other than smash with friends. There isn't any challenge because at least 90% of the matches are against pugs of varying degrees.

The last match I did the other day I purposefully counted in my head by threes before shooting - 1 mech, nah. 2 mech, nah. 3 mech? Sure.

The most fun to be had imo at this point in time is running a troll wave first wave and going from there. Sadly most won't do that, as they're too hungry for pug blood but can't even manage to sign up for a little 6v6 league.

I miss FP - it was a lot of fun. Folks had strats, knew opponents or at least knew they'd be pulling some wonky chit (lol). What we have now is just serious casual, but not that serious, so just srs casual.

Edited by McGoat, 25 September 2018 - 04:05 AM.

#50 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 25 September 2018 - 06:30 AM

Yea, it's true McGoat, a lot of the games you play are just straight up stomps. I do really enjoy the few close games we have though. Games against CSPS, KCOM, MS, HHoD, 10D or other organized groups are usually a lot of fun, while fighting pure rainbow puggles can get old real fast.

Even against organized groups though, it's usually a stomping still if you're playing with a stacked team. I try to occasionally drop with other units besides my normal group sometimes, those are often more fun actually since I have to carry a bit (but not an impossible amount like I would with solo dropping). A solid core of 4-5 very good players, than the rest composed of new-ish players who bring appropriate mechs, makes for a very fun drop team as well.

I really hope the next iteration of FP sees more people come back to it, because it's my favorite mode by a wide margin right now, to the point where I'd rather watch netflix while waiting for people to log on to play with than play quick play.

#51 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 25 September 2018 - 05:21 PM

View PostMcGoat, on 25 September 2018 - 04:03 AM, said:

can't even manage to sign up for a little 6v6 league

I don't think there are very many people left willing to schedule their lives around doing comp drops, even for a 1.5 month tournament. Quality of comp players and teams has gone down just the same as average quality in FP, QP and everywhere else. Beauty of FP is you can still log in whenever you have a free hour, find a group in 10 minutes, enjoy a few drops. It's not a 2nd job like comp and it's not the total chaotic s**tstorm of frustration that is QP

#52 ccrider

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 06:16 PM

View PostHazeclaw, on 25 September 2018 - 05:21 PM, said:

I don't think there are very many people left willing to schedule their lives around doing comp drops, even for a 1.5 month tournament. Quality of comp players and teams has gone down just the same as average quality in FP, QP and everywhere else. Beauty of FP is you can still log in whenever you have a free hour, find a group in 10 minutes, enjoy a few drops. It's not a 2nd job like comp and it's not the total chaotic s**tstorm of frustration that is QP
Theres a 6v6 comp league? Has it started yet?

#53 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 25 September 2018 - 06:27 PM

View Postccrider, on 25 September 2018 - 06:16 PM, said:

Theres a 6v6 comp league? Has it started yet?

https://www.toorname...048/information

signups end in 2 days.

#54 ccrider

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 08:57 PM

View PostEisenhorne, on 25 September 2018 - 06:27 PM, said:

nice, much appreciated. Depending on the schedule it looks fun.

#55 McGoat

Banned -Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 629 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 04:00 AM

View PostHazeclaw, on 25 September 2018 - 05:21 PM, said:

C'mon Haze, there is no beauty in FP anymore. 9 times out of 10 you guys are fighting **** tier pugs who somehow managed to click into FP in between their Parkinsons shakes. No, no beauty there. The anomaly is the "team" you'll face and then have to "try" because no one is used to fighting against people with minds and not these bots PGI caters to.

And there are different flavors of comp - outside of top level Div A types there are many who just look at the maps, plan a few mechs, and go into a drop, the good teams still win and still have fun.

#56 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 26 September 2018 - 06:16 AM

View PostMcGoat, on 26 September 2018 - 04:00 AM, said:

C'mon Haze, there is no beauty in FP anymore. 9 times out of 10 you guys are fighting **** tier pugs who somehow managed to click into FP in between their Parkinsons shakes. No, no beauty there. The anomaly is the "team" you'll face and then have to "try" because no one is used to fighting against people with minds and not these bots PGI caters to.

And there are different flavors of comp - outside of top level Div A types there are many who just look at the maps, plan a few mechs, and go into a drop, the good teams still win and still have fun.

....yeah, it's still kind of ok dropping with no more than 3-4, lol

#57 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 10:23 AM

Stop dropping in big groups. Not sure what fun there is to be had in a 10+ when there are no opponents. Go with 3-4 or go solo if you want to try on big boy pants.

#58 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 26 September 2018 - 10:48 AM

View PostKubernetes, on 26 September 2018 - 10:23 AM, said:

Stop dropping in big groups. Not sure what fun there is to be had in a 10+ when there are no opponents. Go with 3-4 or go solo if you want to try on big boy pants.

Larger groups get faster drops... I've had numerous occasions where sitting there for 10+ minutes with a 4 man group, and once I get into an 8+ man group the wait times are much shorter.

Also, if you happen to run into another 10 man (it has happened) then if you're dropping as a 4 man it really sucks playing pretty well and having your team be absolutely full of trash you can't carry hard enough to win. If I could guarantee I wouldn't fight against other large organized groups, then sure, a carry lance is fun when dealing with pugs or other small groups on the other side.

And the final point, I like having teammates that can be relied on.if I call out that there are multiple enemies moving to X position, it's great to know your team will move into position to ambush them or intercept them, instead of simply nascaring away leaving you to die. If you call out for help, its great to know someone will come help you. Having good teammates makes the game more enjoyable.

#59 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 11:37 AM

I agree that it's fun to play with good players, but not when it involves stomping pugs over and over. Hazeclaw and McGoat are good enough to do the solo challenge or to drop in small groups. Versus a 10-man? That's when it gets fun. Leading pugs to victory over a large group is the ultimate challenge.

#60 McGoat

Banned -Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 629 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 01:24 PM

Out of the last two months I can count on one hand how many FP drops i've done with a large group; I dont play FP much, honestly, but it's still at most 25% of the time I'll play big group. I have much more fun working with 3-5 other folks and still crushing the opposition.

The biggest issue is the fairly mediocre players knowing they cannot win in smaller groups, but are still good enough to hammer down pugs - those drops get old, fast.

The "best" fp groups running around are not the best once broken up, interesting who can carry outside of a 10+ man "team".

However, dropping solo can often times be maddening - but doing 3k on your own (not hiding behind pugs) shows the player skill and not the group skill. The argument is team based game, and I get that, I miss that aspect of FP - but there are no teams worth stacking up against. Who are you afraid of? Kcom, 10D, MS? Please. The biggest mouth on these forums when it comes to Kcom "winning" is Div E MRBC and was kept to under a 100 dmg when playing against an actual team in WC prequals. But hey, LBK or Onion rushes OP!!!!
MS? Once loosing resort to PVE. 10D? Hard cover OP.

I am sadly jaded by the mode anymore, and the general attitudes of those within.
- Groups thinking they're **** hot, but when even broken up to a six man can't carry enough to win
- Groups who think they're **** hot, but friends list snipe to avoid fights
- Soloist who are just plain ********.
- Groups just playing with friends for fun - and by fun I mean two waves of lights first drop etc. The hilarity is real.
- Groups who actually know how to work together and still win in 2-6 mans

Which would you honestly rather be in, where you get the most reward for the time invested? For me, the last two. If actual teams started playing again, maybe my sour mindset would change - but that's a pretty high bar these days.

Edited by McGoat, 26 September 2018 - 01:52 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users