145 replies to this topic

#61 ThreeStooges

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 505 posts
  • Locationamc reruns and youtube

Posted 07 July 2021 - 11:42 AM

A missile mech and clan have the mdd and tbr for it. How about clans steal another is missile mech and slap 2c on it like a catapult c1-2c or c4-2c. i'd buy that for a dollar.

#62 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,829 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 07 July 2021 - 11:55 AM

View Postr4plez, on 07 July 2021 - 11:36 AM, said:

ok, my bad -this mech looks too much anime for me

Your eyes do not deceive you. The original battlemech art was IP licensed from Macross, Dougram, and Crusher Joe, anime series from the early 80's. My signature isn't a Crusader, per se, it's an Armored Valkyrie from Macross.

I can only presume that if PGI were to sculpt the Crusader for use in the game, they would de-anime it a little, much like the sculpt from Novakaine's earlier post:

https://mwomercs.com...ost__p__6415596

Edited by ScrapIron Prime, 07 July 2021 - 12:01 PM.

#63 Lanzman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 293 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 07 July 2021 - 12:40 PM

In all honesty I’ve never been a big fan of the Crusader. It does nothing that the Archer and Catapult don’t do better.

Edited by Lanzman, 07 July 2021 - 12:40 PM.

#64 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 07 July 2021 - 02:28 PM

View Postpbiggz, on 07 July 2021 - 07:22 AM, said:

Sized hardpoints are a legitimate answer to many of our woes, however, that's a can of worms that is not easy to open, and will nerf alot of mechs, meaning of course the reaction from some will be just a wall of senseless shrieking, so I think its unlikely we'd ever see it.

If it was my choice i'd do it in a second, though it'd probably take a month or two to run through all the variants we have and size the hardpoints.

So many broken builds.
You'll have to make sure there's a lot more Mechs for each weight group with different stock load out builds then. My junkyard built HGR/HPPC catapult will not be amused if its suddenly invalid cause machine guns and regular ppcs are the only things I can fit.

#65 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,252 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 07 July 2021 - 02:58 PM

View PostKanil, on 06 July 2021 - 12:52 PM, said:

Take a look at the Black Hawk KU for example, do you really think there's enough people wanting to drive a hardlocked suicide box for PGI to recoup the money they spend on creating the thing in the first place? Seriously, just because there isn't "anything in game now" like it doesn't mean that it's something anyone is clamoring to use.

I mean XL Champions seem to do fine so that invalidates this narrowminded comment

#66 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,252 posts

Posted 07 July 2021 - 03:08 PM

View Post1453 R, on 06 July 2021 - 11:23 AM, said:

Nostalgia's the only thing keeping this game going.

This mindset is cancer. No, it isn't. Fun is. The lore nostalgia milkers are a dying breed and are more likely to move on to MW5 and HBS Battletech. Fun and interesting are what is going to keep the game alive.

As to the rest of your comments.... I don't know what you are basing these evaluations on.

First, saying lighter IS weapons are useless? LOLwut? Many of these evaluations you have made sound completely arbitrary without even considering what's possible.

Every mech I listed would add more interesting options to the game than a Crusader, which ONLY has nostalgia going for it. They actually expand what is possible, rather than just being a reskinned version of other mechs.

#67 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 07 July 2021 - 04:34 PM

I say that nostalgia's the only thing keeping this game going because it sure as shootin'ain't Piranha Games. Piranha's abandoned this game and is simply riding the dregs. The pandemic gave the game a last gasp, but PGI isn't about to start pouring rapid development into this game. They're barely willing to devote one guy's time to making XML edits a third-party unpaid consultant works out for them. I'm astonished they bothered with a map guy, I'm not sure where he came from when they could've used that pay for a MW5 guy.

So yes. The Crusader is a waste of space. Who cares. Let the 'Mech Dads have their final Unseen trophy. It won't matter in the end.

#68 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,827 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 07 July 2021 - 04:44 PM

View PostThreeStooges, on 07 July 2021 - 11:42 AM, said:

A missile mech and clan have the mdd and tbr for it. How about clans steal another is missile mech and slap 2c on it like a catapult c1-2c or c4-2c. i'd buy that for a dollar.

So the the MAD-3R(C) it just a refit of the normal MAD-3R but with CLPL and CUAC5 it mixed tech like the other retrofits of Warhammer, Archer, Rifleman, even a Battlemaster.

#69 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,252 posts

Posted 07 July 2021 - 04:54 PM

View Post1453 R, on 07 July 2021 - 04:34 PM, said:

Let the 'Mech Dads have their final Unseen trophy.

No. They have ruined this game enough.

#70 Nyte Kitsune

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 440 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSeattle, Wa USA

Posted 07 July 2021 - 06:23 PM

View PostLanzman, on 07 July 2021 - 12:40 PM, said:

In all honesty I’ve never been a big fan of the Crusader. It does nothing that the Archer and Catapult don’t do better.

Really? Lets see and Archer or a Catapult mount SRM 6's on their legs! Thats right, one of the Crusaders unique features was the SRM's were mounted on the legs to free up torso space. The Crusader would be a unique addition to MWO, plus its one of the best Missile mechs, Though the Archer is 5 tons heavier, the Crusader was the superior mech.... And I'm not just saying all of this because Nova and I are friends in the same unit. :P

#71 Kanil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 07 July 2021 - 08:01 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 07 July 2021 - 02:58 PM, said:

I mean XL Champions seem to do fine so that invalidates this narrowminded comment

Personally, I don't really see many Champions, so I'm not sure how well they do... but the Blackhawk KU isn't exactly a Champion with more laser hardpoints.

Do XL Champions still do well when they have 5 tons of jumpjets? This isn't strictly a negative, but it's not exactly a positive either.
Do they still do well when they don't have endo steel? Between this and the jumpjets, you're looking at dropping 8 tons off the "does well" build, can it handle that?
Do they still do well when you downgrade their engine? It helps offset some of the 8 tons of stuff they don't get, but can they handle moving slower?
Not really sure about the hardpoint heights and hitboxes for a 'mech that doesn't exist yet, but I'm guessing the Blackhawk KU's gonna have lower guns as well.

But enough about the Champion, I think I'd rather compare the Blackhawk KU to the Komodo.
At 45 tons, the Komodo can get 11 MLs, 16 heatsinks, a jumpjet, and ECM.
For another 15 tons, the Blackhawk KU brings an extra medium laser, two extra heatsinks*, and four more jumpjets, at a modest cost in speed and loss of the ECM.

That doesn't seem like a great tradeoff to me, in fact I'm still pretty convinced that the Blackhawk KU is just bad. Maybe you can convince me otherwise if you offer something more than just calling me narrowminded?

Conversely, the Komodo seems pretty alright.

(* 3 if PGI gives it the E variant, but I'm expecting Prime, A, B, C, and D myself.)

#72 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 07 July 2021 - 08:22 PM

I would rather they added more chassis then work on bolt ons. but maybe that's because I been here so long.

Look haters, this game has been pokemon since beta. "Oh but thats why bleh bleh bleh bad!!" no, the gameplay is either:
FUN
STALE
because there are only so many combinations of weapons to put on mechs that actually work in the gameplay. People find combos that work good, and then choose a mech that they can fit it on, and the more tryhard they are the more they are picky about the mech they use for said combo.

That's it, thats the game in a nutshell. The more tryhard you are the more you could care less about a new chassis unless it is going to be some massive powercreep BS. The rest of the playerbase has been playing pokemon and wants to catchem all, and they even want to catch the ones that aren't in the game.

There is no harm in it, makeing a new chassis i mean. "oh they could use the $$ or time on other stuff bleh bleh bleh barf" NO, they could have done that for the last two years. That ship has sailed, long ago. So now, that is not a valid argument, and there is no harm in requesting new chassis, because PGI wasn't doing anything else anyway.

Once years ago, I requested a bunch of old a55 mechs based on the original books. Stuff like Mackie. there is no story or lore of anything else to the game, they don;t need old tech, but they could add old mechs with newer tech on them instead, and most pokemon players would be overjoyed anyway. Would they be OP? No, so most haters will screech against the ideas. Too bad, no one cares if a new chassis is a power creep tool or not except a tiny screeching Esports oriented few, and they won;t fork out $$ to buy them anyway, they will just make another alt account and buy one with cadet money.

So I vote: YES!

Besides, Novakaine is a good sort, and has cared about this game for years and his opinion carries more weight then some whiny esport babies IMO.

#73 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 July 2021 - 09:55 PM

View PostEkson Valdez, on 04 July 2021 - 08:46 PM, said:

I like all of those ideas but nothing has been said since that post? Also why couldn't we have a Urbanmech IIC as a bonus addition to all those ideas plus add and Urbanmech IIC/Crusader Package..

Edited by MechaGnome, 07 July 2021 - 09:56 PM.

#74 MyriadDigits

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 282 posts

Posted 07 July 2021 - 11:31 PM

View PostNyte Kitsune, on 07 July 2021 - 06:23 PM, said:

Really? Lets see and Archer or a Catapult mount SRM 6's on their legs! Thats right, one of the Crusaders unique features was the SRM's were mounted on the legs to free up torso space.

Hate to break it to ya, but PGI would just scoot the leg missiles into the torso. There's a couple of variants already in MWO (Cicada CDA-3C), that had leg weapons in their TT configurations get shifted up to the torsos. This wouldn't obstruct the Crusader being added near as I can tell, and worst case they'd just have the leg weapons swap places with a couple tons of ammo. But yeah, no leg weapons.

Edited by MyriadDigits, 07 July 2021 - 11:31 PM.

#75 Storming Angel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 193 posts

Posted 07 July 2021 - 11:38 PM

View PostMyriadDigits, on 07 July 2021 - 11:31 PM, said:

Hate to break it to ya, but PGI would just scoot the leg missiles into the torso. There's a couple of variants already in MWO (Cicada CDA-3C), that had leg weapons in their TT configurations get shifted up to the torsos. This wouldn't obstruct the Crusader being added near as I can tell, and worst case they'd just have the leg weapons swap places with a couple tons of ammo. But yeah, no leg weapons.

Did PGI ever mention why they don't have weapons in legs at all?

#76 MyriadDigits

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 282 posts

Posted 08 July 2021 - 12:06 AM

View PostStorming Angel, on 07 July 2021 - 11:38 PM, said:

Not that I'm aware, but if I had to guess: too complicated and/or they figured they'd suck. Two slots heavily limits what you can run in the hardpoints, they'd be accompanied with a third firing arc and reticle for the mech (when pilots already struggle with only two), and you'd need to expose basically the whole mech to even use these weapons. Not to mention, there's very few mechs with leg weapons in the first place, so why not give those rare few mechs an effort free buff on the down low moving those leg weapons into the side torsos?

#77 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 08 July 2021 - 12:28 AM

View PostStorming Angel, on 07 July 2021 - 11:38 PM, said:

Probably because it would have required a third reticule when the torso and legs are not aligned.

#78 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 08 July 2021 - 12:31 AM

Well, weapons in legs maybe not supported well by the game engine i could imagine.
Also most of the time every little rubble would block your line of fire.

In the end this whole weapons in the legs/back is unpractical bcs it steals to much firepower from where you need it.

The whole weapons in the arms stuff and holding them high to shoot from behind full body cover and in the rear direction also was never discovered/developed in the games for being to complex to implement.

Edited by Thorqemada, 08 July 2021 - 12:32 AM.

#79 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,252 posts

Posted 08 July 2021 - 05:32 PM

View PostKanil, on 07 July 2021 - 08:01 PM, said:

Personally, I don't really see many Champions, so I'm not sure how well they do... but the Blackhawk KU isn't exactly a Champion with more laser hardpoints.

Do XL Champions still do well when they have 5 tons of jumpjets? This isn't strictly a negative, but it's not exactly a positive either.
Do they still do well when they don't have endo steel? Between this and the jumpjets, you're looking at dropping 8 tons off the "does well" build, can it handle that?
Do they still do well when you downgrade their engine? It helps offset some of the 8 tons of stuff they don't get, but can they handle moving slower?
Not really sure about the hardpoint heights and hitboxes for a 'mech that doesn't exist yet, but I'm guessing the Blackhawk KU's gonna have lower guns as well.

But enough about the Champion, I think I'd rather compare the Blackhawk KU to the Komodo.
At 45 tons, the Komodo can get 11 MLs, 16 heatsinks, a jumpjet, and ECM.
For another 15 tons, the Blackhawk KU brings an extra medium laser, two extra heatsinks*, and four more jumpjets, at a modest cost in speed and loss of the ECM.

That doesn't seem like a great tradeoff to me, in fact I'm still pretty convinced that the Blackhawk KU is just bad. Maybe you can convince me otherwise if you offer something more than just calling me narrowminded?

Conversely, the Komodo seems pretty alright.

(* 3 if PGI gives it the E variant, but I'm expecting Prime, A, B, C, and D myself.)

You're right, the Komodo is great. The Black Hawk KU can actually take 14 lasers between the prime variant and the E variant. So something like 4 MPL and 10 ER SL is possible with 18 DHS without armor stripping, or just straight 14 MLs and eat a bit of ghost heat when doing 7 + 7.

If you were to ask me, I would agree that the Black Hawk KU is the least exciting of the 4 Omnis I mentioned, but my narrowminded comment was directed at the locked XL " death trap" thing. 60 tonners with that shape have small enough torso to not necessarily be death traps, quirks are a thing, and come on, no other IS mech can bring 14 lasers. Oh yeah, and 81 kph is about how fast the XL champions go.

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 08 July 2021 - 05:38 PM.

#80 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 12:01 PM

View PostLockheed_, on 07 July 2021 - 08:00 PM, said:

yeah right and we all know that weapons in the legs are so gonna happen in MWO. they are just going to rework the whole building system just to for one mech.
also best missile mech? who defined the best missile mech? some low payed writer churning out cheap novels for a sci-fi franchise, making **** up as they go? in terms of missiles the crusader is better bringing p2w quirks or it is going to be just another missile boat in MWO.

Ok ima take a go on the "WeLl AkShUlLy" express, and say "why not put hard points on mech hips or cover plates that don't move, putting the hardpoints as leg hitbox"? Only down side is cicada and a few others could get auto canon nerfs if hard points were moved to legs, but nothing says you can't just add more placements and keep the mwo hard points...

Edit: of course after I post I read the follow ups on firing arcs and low placement eating dirt and remember why my cataphract-4x is a hanger queen...

Edited by Alex Morgaine, 10 July 2021 - 12:03 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users