Put A Fork In It

33 replies to this topic

#21 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 15 September 2018 - 01:54 AM

View PostTiewolf, on 15 September 2018 - 12:54 AM, said:

Great if it would be so simple. What if a player plays crappy mechs and the other matched players play meta mechs? Are players with skill doomed to field meta mechs and do a 100% performance all the time or their team loses? That's why battle value considers the fielded mechs+load out and then you have to consider the map and the specific skill of the player with this mech+load out on this given map. It's very complicated and even if it would work I guess most player wouldn't like the consequences of a matchmaker like this.

Who cares about such things in quick play? Even big e-sports games such as Overwatch doesn't care about hero specific rating when it comes to quick play. Any attempt at battle value is just waste of time and effort, something that can be exploited immediately, once implemented. Leave the fancy calculations to comp queue only.

#22 Dogstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,722 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 15 September 2018 - 02:26 AM

[Redacted]

Edited by draiocht, 16 September 2018 - 11:05 AM.
staff abuse, replies removed

#23 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 04:58 AM

View PostBattlemaster56, on 15 September 2018 - 12:52 AM, said:

How many play that game at average? And is there a tutorial system so I can learn the small detials other than basic mw controls and how to play the game?

is there a tutorial in this game that actually teaches how to get gud and isnt another completely useless minimally viable thing.

living legends is like this game, except the mechanics are thought out a lot better.

Edited by LordNothing, 15 September 2018 - 05:00 AM.

#24 Racerxintegra2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 801 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 05:26 AM

These threads just point out the players that should have left but roam around haunting the place they used to live in. I'm now one of those ghosts .. i should have left when the enjoyment did, no idea why i'm still around.

#25 Battlemaster56

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 15 September 2018 - 05:36 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 15 September 2018 - 04:58 AM, said:

is there a tutorial in this game that actually teaches how to get gud and isnt another completely useless minimally viable thing.

living legends is like this game, except the mechanics are thought out a lot better.

Tutorials don't help you "git gud", it meant get the player through the basics and help them out of the few in game mechanics.Because I mess with MWLL I have no idea what I'm doing other than moving the elemental/power armor guy around and shoot. I found no tutorial teaching me how to lock on, change vision modes, or other stuff.

I just been thrown into a match with no clue what to do, then again that game is just dead.

#26 Rafe Yomin

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 05:46 AM

View PostBattlemaster56, on 15 September 2018 - 05:36 AM, said:

Tutorials don't help you "git gud", it meant get the player through the basics and help them out of the few in game mechanics.Because I mess with MWLL I have no idea what I'm doing other than moving the elemental/power armor guy around and shoot. I found no tutorial teaching me how to lock on, change vision modes, or other stuff.

I just been thrown into a match with no clue what to do, then again that game is just dead.

No, but it helps to have the information available.
Do a google search for MWO ECM. Look what up to date official information you find. This goes for almost everything. Most is outdated, or info the players needed to figure out for themselves and shared on the forum over the years which might or might not be accurate anymore. This game only retains those who really want anything Battletech related, since a new player who just finished the tutorial has no idea what his stuff does.

View PostKodiakGW, on 14 September 2018 - 01:36 PM, said:

Not sure what you mean about quality of QP matches. For me, they have always been this bad. People not hitting the R key, firing weapons at targets well over max range, horribad loadouts, suicide lights, and even more that would take me days to list.

Same as above, and regarding the out of range shooting, i do (did) that too. The reason: i'm colorblind. Red text is practically unreadable due to that. On many maps the IS hud color is also unreadable most of the time. And then you get a "colorblind mode" which adds 4 little RED (invisible for a colorblind person) lines when you hit something!? How stupid can a designer get when implementing a colorblind mode?

Edited by Rafe Yomin, 15 September 2018 - 05:51 AM.

#27 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 15 September 2018 - 06:47 AM

View PostRafe Yomin, on 15 September 2018 - 05:46 AM, said:

No, but it helps to have the information available.
Do a google search for MWO ECM. Look what up to date official information you find. This goes for almost everything. Most is outdated, or info the players needed to figure out for themselves and shared on the forum over the years which might or might not be accurate anymore. This game only retains those who really want anything Battletech related, since a new player who just finished the tutorial has no idea what his stuff does.

If you talking about that wiki that been abandon years ago, I doubt anyone even knows there is even one existed. And for players searching on the forums I just took a quick glance through the New Players Help page it look pretty active to get players help and they tend to ask others in the chat in lobby or before a match for quick questions.

And your second point about the game only have players that like Battletech, what does that even have to do bout tutorials? I don't how each player figure things out but they will over time like everyone else.

This game tutorial not the best but atleast it get you started and the basic and some core things to do before jumping the shark pit.

#28 Rafe Yomin

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 07:57 AM

View PostBattlemaster56, on 15 September 2018 - 06:47 AM, said:

If you talking about that wiki that been abandon years ago, I doubt anyone even knows there is even one existed. And for players searching on the forums I just took a quick glance through the New Players Help page it look pretty active to get players help and they tend to ask others in the chat in lobby or before a match for quick questions.

And your second point about the game only have players that like Battletech, what does that even have to do bout tutorials? I don't how each player figure things out but they will over time like everyone else.

This game tutorial not the best but atleast it get you started and the basic and some core things to do before jumping the shark pit.

I'm talking about any official information about game mechanics. The game or the company doesn't provide any. That causes players to leave pretty fast, unless they are already interested in battletech and really want to play the game. The more casual gamer who's looking for a fun game will look at it and just go: nope, other games out there. This in turn leads to the player dropoff numbers we're seeing.

I came back after 5 years, installed, had some fun, but soon started noticing the same problems which lead to me stopping playing. Then the faction play events started, and the queue was dead. Now i just play other games again, hoping that maybe PGI will actually solve some of the easy things: colorblind option isn't that hard is it. Information on game mechanics on their site isn't that hard. Information about which mechs are in the game on their own page here: https://mwomercs.com...chs/light-mechs (i'm pretty sure there are more than 5 clan lights ingame) isn't that hard either. If they don't do those little things like keeping their site up to date, how would anyone expect them to keep the game up to date.

#29 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 04:04 PM

View PostBattlemaster56, on 15 September 2018 - 05:36 AM, said:

i know know about dead, i get in plenty of matches. If you PM me ill log on and run you through the basics pretty easy next time im on. Also, you might want to grab the disscord for it as well. Helps a lot.

#30 5th Fedcom Rat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 893 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 04:23 PM

Go play such amazing EA multiplayer masterpieces as Battlefield V or Battlefront II then (sarcasm sarcasm).

You'll be back in a week.

#31 Dogstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,722 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 16 September 2018 - 12:16 AM

View Post5th Fedcom Rat, on 15 September 2018 - 04:23 PM, said:

You'll be back in a week.

You are very very wrong, this game has been shedding it's players at an alarming rate:

https://mwomercs.com...getting-longer/

#32 draiocht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 11:12 AM

[mod]Due to unconstructive topic, this thread has been moved to Kaetetôã.

Please move constructive, positive discussion to relevant threads.[/mod]

Edited by draiocht, 16 September 2018 - 11:14 AM.

#33 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 16 September 2018 - 01:34 PM

View PostGrus, on 14 September 2018 - 07:39 PM, said:

Mech Warrior Living Legends is an option... and it's free to play.

guess you missed the "shallow or pointless" part?

#34 Sable

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 924 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 06:07 AM

My playtime had been tapering off for a while but what really revitalized MWO for me [Redacted] And if PGI does end up changing the heat scale you better believe i'll be change variants again. Part of the fun is buliding new mechs and when there is a big change to the system like the possible heat scale change that will totally revitalize my mech building curiosities. I also don't build meta crap builds in the first place. I'm already used to the idea of sustained dps over alpha damage so most of my builds would be a step ahead if the heat change happened.

Edited by draiocht, 17 September 2018 - 10:25 AM.
content

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users