77 replies to this topic

#21 Tonberry Knife

• PipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 45 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 27 September 2018 - 09:06 AM

Yeah, I get that they can use the money however they want. I just really wonder if they have future plans for this game or are they just milking as much as they can out of it before MW5, which isn't really even a replacement for MWO.

A little transparency would be nice.

#22 Throe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 09:08 AM

[deleted by user]

Edited by Throe, 09 November 2018 - 11:32 AM.

#23 Marquis De Lafayette

• CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 27 September 2018 - 09:15 AM

More sales are probably due to a variety of reasons , here are a couple that are most likely part of it

1. Delay in MW5....longer development time means more cash investment and deferred payoff. MWO is where to get that money
2. It’s a mature game. Most of us wouldn’t touch these sales, because we don’t need to....we have these mechs already. However, as shocking as it might seem to some of us....MWO does continually get new players. I personally know a couple of new players (in the past 6 months) that jump on these to spare themselves some grind. PGI seems to want to make it easier for new players to get-up-to-speed these days....the joke of what they did with Solaris gxp prizes had the listed reason of helping newer players

#24 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 27 September 2018 - 09:27 AM

View PostTiewolf, on 26 September 2018 - 10:48 PM, said:

Anyone else find these sales after sales irritating?

Is PGI so desperately grasping for money because they alienated so many costumers by their actions? Was the RoI of Solaris that bad or do they only take marketing serious these days?

I don`t know but these permanent sales got an odd smell to them.

View PostJackal Noble, on 26 September 2018 - 11:32 PM, said:

I'm more irritated at the lack of MW5 info tbh.

Folks, connect the dots. Posted Image

View PostMrMadguy, on 27 September 2018 - 02:59 AM, said:

I call it "Do everything for game, but forget to make game itself". Some game devs just don't understand or refuse to understand, that no promotions will help to keep game afloat, if core game is broken. Nobody will buy some shinies, no matter, how good they are, if there is nothing to play, i.e. there is no place to actually use them. They're just pointless.

People are buying shinies!

#25 Dinochrome

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 164 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, Ca.

Posted 27 September 2018 - 09:44 AM

Hailz all:

I'm indifferent to the sales, I do like the fact they are tying them to events where players can earn some MC, GXP, C-Bills etc. Eases the strain on the new players. If players want to buy stuff, its their business. Complaints about sales you don't participate in or free stuff you get seems odd to me. Not all players have massive stables of mechs or all the decorative stuff. Every free to play game I ever looked at use all or more of the same systems to raise funds.

V/R Dinochrome

#26 Jables McBarty

• 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 27 September 2018 - 10:15 AM

Wut?

No I'm pretty sure I like it.

The Dropship Deals? Love'em. If PGI had had these when I started 3 years ago I'd have spent WAAAAY more money on the game. It finally feels like a decent price-to-content ratio.

#27 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 27 September 2018 - 10:22 AM

Posted Image

#28 Snowbluff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 10:22 AM

View PostPeter2k, on 27 September 2018 - 05:33 AM, said:

Or they could reduce the cost of stuff more permanently and let us pick mechs we want to buy directly.

Not that I'm complaining about building your own drop deck buy stuff, but maybe with the rule of 3 gone they should just implement it permanently.

I dunno, this focuses the discussion on a few mechs when looking at a sale. Personally, I like having discussions of which is the best investment when.

However, I think it would be better for the NPE if prices were lower, if only for engines and upgrades.

#29 Tiewolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 408 posts
  • LocationHessen

Posted 27 September 2018 - 10:57 AM

View PostAppogee, on 27 September 2018 - 03:52 AM, said:

Let me get this straight ... you're irritated that you can consistently buy things much more cheaply than their regular price. Do I have that right...?

No that's not my point. I appreciate sales. My question is why so frequent now? Is there a future for MWO, is stuff I buy now converted to MW5 or is it pgi's last attempt to squeeze what ever they can out of a dead horse?

#30 LordBraxton

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 10:59 AM

View PostTiewolf, on 27 September 2018 - 10:57 AM, said:

No that's not my point. I appreciate sales. My question is why so frequent now? Is there a future for MWO, is stuff I buy now converted to MW5 or is it pgi's last attempt to squeeze what ever they can out of a dead horse?

they will leave this game to rot when MW5 comes out and sell you mechs all over again

#31 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 11:02 AM

tfw still no stock mech arena.

#32 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 12:51 PM

View PostTiewolf, on 26 September 2018 - 10:48 PM, said:

Anyone else find these sales after sales irritating?

Is PGI so desperately grasping for money because they alienated so many costumers by their actions? Was the RoI of Solaris that bad or do they only take marketing serious these days?

I don`t know but these permanent sales got an odd smell to them.

If you noticed, these sales are for selling older C-bill mechs, on packages that are years old.. With out the need to 3 mechs, it is changing the way they sell the older mechs.

My guess is the old packs of 3 are not selling because people have no reason to buy them, so why not market in a way that people actually buy mechs these days.. Cherry pick the chassis they want, and let people do it for a reasonable amount of money.

so no, the way they have been offering these packages this summer does not bother me at all.. and if memory serves me, every summer and anniversary time always has pretty solid sales.

#33 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 12:56 PM

Of all the things to complain about...

#34 Joshua McEvedy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 491 posts
  • LocationDuchy of Oriente, Free Worlds League

Posted 27 September 2018 - 01:10 PM

View PostTonberry Knife, on 27 September 2018 - 08:05 AM, said:

I really hope all of the money brought in by this game isn't going to MW5. That isn't really fair to the people who are trying to support MWO to make it better.

That would be a scumbag move on PGI's part. This game shouldn't be a fundraiser for a different game. If they want to raise money for MW5 they should offer a way for people to support it.

You should go back and review the 'Transverse' debacle of September 2014. That's apparently where most of the money from the first Clan Invasion 'Wave 1' sales went.

https://www.crowdfun...refund-process/

https://www.pcinvasi...lout-continues/

PGI has never truly recovered.

#35 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 01:19 PM

It's all they have left......because we are all gone..... I haven't spent a real cent in well over a year... You can't fix Stu........Eh?!

#36 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 27 September 2018 - 01:36 PM

View PostTiewolf, on 27 September 2018 - 10:57 AM, said:

Personally I think they've just hit on a really good sale concept and are using it to the fullest. It's only been recently that they've created the 'pick your mech' bundles and even for someone like me (147 mechs in my stable with 7 more on the way) I've been able to find value out of the sales to pick and choose from mechs I don't have but still want.

I think with the change to skill nodes picking a bundle of mechs you want to play is good for those who want to support the game with their money but don't like the 'one mech design with several variants' purchasing requirement for pre-ordering future mechs, and really good for newer players who want a varied stable of mechs quickly.

#37 Humpday

• The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 02:21 PM

View PostJackal Noble, on 26 September 2018 - 11:32 PM, said:

I'm more irritated at the lack of MW5 info tbh.

For real! Wheres the MW5...hyp...train...well...
MW5 anything....

The sales I don't care about....since I have everything I want thats already in the game.

Plus, If you're smart, you'd use the opportunity to pick up a years worth of prem time cheap....but again, I have so much prem time stocked up...makes no diff to me, but or less fortunate folk will enjoy it.

#38 Xmith

• The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 September 2018 - 02:40 PM

PGI must have a bunch of money. Discounting any item equates to spending. Theses sales and discounts are not affecting their bottom line in a negative way. Plus I'm sure most have heard this old saying,"you have to spend money to make money". PGI is doing exactly this.

#39 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 03:05 PM

View PostMarquis De Lafayette, on 27 September 2018 - 09:15 AM, said:

2. It’s a mature game. Most of us wouldn’t touch these sales, because we don’t need to....we have these mechs already. However, as shocking as it might seem to some of us....MWO does continually get new players. I personally know a couple of new players (in the past 6 months) that jump on these to spare themselves some grind. PGI seems to want to make it easier for new players to get-up-to-speed these days....the joke of what they did with Solaris gxp prizes had the listed reason of helping newer players

exactly,, People tend to forget that new players start all the time.. these new pick a mech sales are wonderful to reduce the grind for new players. Spend 50-60 bucks, and get a whole bunch of mechs, Build a drop deck, level up and get to playing with very little grind.

FTP games and grind is real.. These sales basically takes that grind away completely. That is a very good thing for people willing to part with a few bucks.

#40 G2SC

• PipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 84 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 04:12 PM

Ive just started and loving these assault hero mechs. Will def pick some standard ones to get a set of 3 assaults

Edited by G2SC, 27 September 2018 - 04:19 PM.

36 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 36 guests, 0 anonymous users